Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,499 members, 7,801,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? (5187 Views)

MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / I Want To Appear On Wikipedia / Workers - What's Your Plan B After Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 4:36pm On Nov 17, 2011
At my job, I come across different terms/phrases daily that I feel I need more background information on and my first response is to Google the term and look for the wiki page on it.

What have you Googled/Wikied today?
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 4:39pm On Nov 17, 2011
I searched for how to translate logical memory into physical memory, and eventually found a link to page tables which has some info on what I was looking for.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 4:51pm On Nov 17, 2011
^ thot u were a lawyer?

I search for words/phrases used by Nairalanders.

Examples include :

jocund
schadenfreude
troglodyte

and so many more!
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 5:35pm On Nov 17, 2011
yamakuza:

^ thot u were a lawyer?

I search for words/phrases used by Nairalanders.

Examples include :

jocund
schadenfreude
troglodyte

and so many more!

Yes, but I'm a Patent Attorney (aka Intellectual Property Attorney) and I represent clients in all issues related to obtaining patents. My primary area of technical expertise is electrical engineering which I also have a degree in but I deal with everything except pharmaceutical/chemistry type inventions.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 5:58pm On Nov 17, 2011
^ cool. I once "interned" with such a firm while in college (here in 9ja).

Summer job stuff. Nothing technical. Twas fun.

Lucky u!
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 6:22pm On Nov 17, 2011
yamakuza:

^ cool. I once "interned" with such a firm while in college (here in 9ja).

Summer job stuff. Nothing technical. Twas fun.

Lucky u!
It is very cool because of the range of subjects that one works on from day-to-day but it could also be very daunting if one lacks the fundamental knowledge to understand the invention.

For example, in the last couple of weeks, I’ve worked on LED control circuit, capsule endoscope, flip-chip structure, lens module, asynchronous boost converter, car door lock, bicycle suspension etc.

One day you’re trying to figure out what about a particular circuit/design makes it novel and the next day, you’re trying to figure out why a particular bicycle suspension is better.

You can see why Wikipedia is a life saver to someone like me!
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 6:30pm On Nov 17, 2011
^ i can clearly see that.

One thing i still dont get. If nobody 'buys' ur patent and decides to go commercial with it, it just gathers dust for 7 to 14yrs and enters the public domain.

Twould have been a lazy man's way of making money in Nigeria, but . . . who go buy?
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 6:48pm On Nov 17, 2011
Which is why you need to have an ulterior motive for patenting a patentable idea.

A patent can easily run about $15k for the life of the patent (20 years). Some companies will patent anything and everything just to say we have X number of patents because it objectively adds to the value of a company when trying to sell, while there are others that acquire patents for offensive/defensive reasons.

A company like Google will be patenting anything related to Andriod OS, multi-gesture, Ads, and search engine.

Nothing is currently developed in Nigeria except maybe in oil drilling. Almost everything that we use/buy is manufactured somewhere else by people who obtained patents in their countries of interest. If you have a patent, you'd most likely be looking at selling/licensing it to foreign companies that will incorporate it into their products.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 6:57pm On Nov 17, 2011
So, in effect, as an individual:

1. I invent

2. I patent the invention

3. I hope someone notices it and contacts me for licensing

4. I wait for them to use/infringe and them sue them

5. Or, i market it actively and hope to get good offers

looks like something for those with deep pockets!
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 7:09pm On Nov 17, 2011
yamakuza:

So, in effect, as an individual:

1. I invent

2. I patent the invention

3. I hope someone notices it and contacts me for licensing

4. I wait for them to use/infringe and them sue them

5. Or, i market it actively and hope to get good offers

looks like something for those with deep pockets!
lol, you can also use it as a market differentiator for products you sell or to make manufacturing the products cheaper. Unfortunately, anything patent related is for companies with deep pockets. It will cost between $1-5 million in court/attorney fees to sue someone for patent infringement.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 9:49pm On Nov 17, 2011
^ thanks.

What else did you search for on Google?
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 10:57pm On Nov 17, 2011
When patent applications are written, there should be enough information in there to help “a person skilled in the art” understand and practice the invention. The problem occurs when the subject matter is not fully within my grasp or I've used it to eat eba. :-)

I don’t really remember majority of what I’ve searched which was why I made this thread to continually update when I use wiki.

Here’s what I remember from the last couple of months:
[list]
[li]I worked on an invention that detects the onset of ischaemia, arrhythmia, and other heart ailments by interpreting EKG signals (QRST) and alerting you and your doctor before the heart attack happens. I had no idea what QRST was. [/li]
[li]Even though I've never taken a class in Organic Chemistry in my life, I had to determine what the -COOR functional group is called and if it was part of the acid functional group because the inventor was saying something contradictory to the government official rejecting the invention. I hope I never have to see anything chemistry related again! [/li]
[li]I had to look up how “short sale” of a house works. [/li]
[li]A partner and I were arguing when trying to analyze how current flows in a particular circuit because he claims that you can measure voltage at a point and I said you need two points. His analysis of the circuit would have been wrong if he accepted that you need two points. Even having printing and giving him a wiki page, he wouldn't acknowledge that he was wrong and simple shifted the argument. [/li]
[/list]
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 11:45pm On Nov 17, 2011
^ Wow! Thats so cool.

Cant wait for the next update(s).
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by iice(f): 2:43pm On Nov 19, 2011
DIY nail art grin
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 7:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
Had to look up "space domain" to see if it is the same as "spatial domain."
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 7:37pm On Dec 21, 2011
^ whats the difference/application?
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 7:55pm On Dec 21, 2011
Digital signal processing (DSP).

When you take pictures with a digital camera, the focal length of the lens assembly in the camera determines the depth of your picture. You can think of it as a shortsighted/longsighted person’s inability to see things clearly. Focal length is a physical attribute and is determined by the distance between the lens and the focal point.

In today’s world, we expect very little cameras to take a very clear picture but the little cameras, like a cell phone, lack the thickness (depth) needed for the lens assembly. A way of achieving picture qualities of a much larger dedicated camera is to take a picture twice at 2 different focal lengths, then add them together. To add the pictures together, you have to make sure that the objects/images within the picture fully align; otherwise the result will be blurry.

The invention I’m working on has to do with an efficient way of making sure the objects/images align without using a lot of processing power.

PS: Everything I just said is already in the public domain and is no longer secret. An invention gets published into the public domain 18 months after filing for an invention unless you elect to make it secret.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by Wallie(m): 8:01pm On Dec 21, 2011
In my case, I'm more concerned with processes that takes place in frequency domain vs space/spatial/time domain. To process any real signal in frequency domain means that you must have converted it using Fourier Transform, which takes up more processing overhead when compared to a computation in time domain.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 8:38pm On Dec 21, 2011
^ thanks. I get the application.

[s]So, how is space domain different from spatial domain?[/s]
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by AjanleKoko: 9:52pm On Dec 21, 2011
yamakuza:

[s]So, how is space domain different from spatial domain?[/s]

Essentially the same. 'Spatial' relates to 'space' or 'position'.

@Topic,
I didn't Google anything today. We're all in a holiday mood at work.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 10:55pm On Dec 21, 2011
^ thanks. Just making sure.

So, what did you google last?
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by AjanleKoko: 9:36am On Dec 22, 2011
yamakuza:

^ thanks. Just making sure.

So, what did you google last?

CEBP - Communication-Enabled Business Process
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by ayox2003: 3:20pm On Dec 22, 2011
Well, I googled EDX SignalPro and its tutorials.

Frawzey
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 11:42pm On Dec 22, 2011
^ just checked it out. Never would have guessed it has to do with wireless networking.

Looks/sounds like one of those audio plugins at first glance.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by ayox2003: 1:50pm On Dec 23, 2011
Its basically a wireless tool thats used for Point-to-point/multipoint.

Frawzey
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by ayox2003: 6:56pm On Jan 07, 2012
Keeping this thread live.
I googled One-way Hash Function today. Its basically an algorithm that converts messages and text into groups of strings that makes it almost impossible for it to be changed back to its original text. It is used for data management and security purposes.

Frawzey
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 7:03pm On Jan 07, 2012
^ almost impossible, huh? But still possible?

Reminds me of the RSA Encryption algorithm.

Nothing as secure as Quantum Cryptography for now sha.
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by SmallBMighty: 2:29am On Jan 11, 2012
I google where i wee buy sweet popcorn in ojuelegba and i get it. Tainx
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by ayox2003: 8:13pm On Jan 25, 2012
I wikied Vladimir Nabokov (Russian-american novelist) just now. His name was mentioned in a book I currently am reading and I want to know what made him special while he was alive. While reading through his profile, I got to know the meaning of ''Lepidopterist''.
God bless Wikipedia!
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by ayox2003: 8:14pm On Jan 25, 2012
I wikied Vladimir Nabokov (Russian-american novelist) just now. His name was mentioned in a book I currently am reading and I want to know what made him special while he was alive. While reading through his profile, I got to know the meaning of ''Lepidopterist''.
God bless Wikipedia!
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by yamakuza: 6:54am On Jan 26, 2012
^ So, not only does he write books, he also collects bugs?

Chap must have been a bookworm!
Re: Knowledge Workers: What Did You Search For On Wikipedia/Google Today? by ayox2003: 8:39pm On Jan 26, 2012
Yea. Nabokov was a diligent man while he was alive. At a time, he spent six hours every day of the week observing differences between butterflies and he was the only lepidopterist in Harvard.
Funny enough, he never knew to drive, fold an umbrella and answer a telephone. His wife did everything for him. In one of his funny quotes he said ''Genius is when a african man dreams of snow''. cheesy
In a light mood, have you noticed how your page looks when you google ''askew''?

Frawzey

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Contact Us For Soil Test Services And Geotechnical Services In Lagos / Vacancies @ African Steel Limited Odonguyan ,ikorodu,lagos State / Career Opportunity In History And Diplomatic Studies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.