Stats: 3,143,216 members, 7,780,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:40 PM

Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab (9978 Views)

Unilag Gate Shut Down By Students Over Infestation Of Bedbugs.*pics / Not So SHOCKING: Benue Public Primary Schools Shut For 8 Months / Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab (2) (3) (4)

Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Francis5: 10:24pm On Nov 17, 2011
Schools shut down in Osun over hijab

Written by Adewale Ajayi, Osogbo
Thursday, November 17, 2011

THE struggle over the usage of hijab (veil for Muslim ladies) in public schools has led to the closure of public schools in Iwo Local Government Area of Osun State.

advertisement

The quest to implement the usage of hijab created crisis in the town, as some Muslim groups insisted that all Muslim ladies should be allowed to use hijab, irrespective of the school they were attending.

The problem started last year, when a female student of Methodist Grammar School, Iwo, wore hijab to school.

The student was said to have been beaten by her teacher, while she, in turn, mobilised her brothers to waylay the teacher and beat her.

Muslim Fellowship Students were said to have championed the demand for female Muslim students to use hijab.

The agitation for the use of the hijab got to a climax on Monday, when a female student of Baptist High School, Iwo, was arrested by the police on the orders of the school authorities for wearing hijab to school.

The action of the school authorities was said to have angered Muslim organisations in the town, who waded into the matter and demanded the release of the student.

This is just as they mobilised students in the town, on Tuesday, to insist on allowing Muslim girls to use hijab, irrespective of the school they attended.

The protest was said to have received the support of the leader of Jamat Tahawum, known as Alfa Dawud, who led the students on a protest which took them from one school to the other, starting from Local Authority Grammar School to Saint Anthony Grammar School; Methodist Grammar School and Iwo Grammar School.

The protest forced the school authorities to close down the schools, while the students were sent home.

Reacting to the development, through a statement signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Sunday Akere, the state government said it decided to close down all the public schools in the council to prevent a breakdown of law and order.

The statement said the state was noted for peace and the state government would not allow any religious bigot to turn it into a place of religious intolerance.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Francis5: 10:25pm On Nov 17, 2011
Religious intolerance finally takes root in poor o'l Odualand
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by efisher(m): 10:37pm On Nov 17, 2011
The deadly seed has been planted. It can only continue to grow henceforth!
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by NnamdiN: 11:07pm On Nov 17, 2011
habiba abi hijabi follow for school uniform Does it even make sense for some students to look like they came for hajj and not to learn These ppl sef
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by icez: 11:09pm On Nov 17, 2011
It has started. Why do they like violence?
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by obowunmi(m): 11:13pm On Nov 17, 2011
Some people need to learn to be tolerant, All these pastors who preach intolerance are sitting peacefully in their mansions, Abeg get with the program.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by HighChief4(m): 11:50pm On Nov 17, 2011
This is how it starts
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by karyurdey(m): 3:58am On Nov 18, 2011
I love Muslims bro n sis so much but when it get to this their attitude of violence, dey piss me off, let them go to Islamic school & not want to take over general school, Imagine, school where xtian, Muslims & traditional worshippers are, 2ndly, all schools have dress code & hijab is not part of it, when will they learn that you can't fight for God, how many people will they keep killing? Wake up pls, msheewwww
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by akings100: 9:16am On Nov 18, 2011
Muslims should go to dia Islamic schools and wear Hijab and not Missionary schools owned by Christians. But must students look like pilgrims in schools? shocked cool
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by CyberG: 9:17am On Nov 18, 2011
Francis-1:

Religious intolerance finally takes root in poor o'l Odualand

Racist ass sucker! Always angling to release your tribalistic bile! It is a proven fact that you did not even exist during the previous wars in Nigeria but the chip on your shoulder is bigger than those who saw the war! No wonder your life makes no progress because of your bitterness??!? tongue tongue KMA! cheesy cheesy
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by FunLis: 9:18am On Nov 18, 2011
I
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by doctokwus: 9:26am On Nov 18, 2011
When u attend a public institution,u must b identified,hijabi breaches that code.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by AZeD1(m): 9:27am On Nov 18, 2011
Separation of regligion and state is the only solution to this problem
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by AZeD1(m): 9:28am On Nov 18, 2011
**religion
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 9:32am On Nov 18, 2011
akings100:

Muslims should go to dia Islamic schools and wear Hijab and not Missionary schools owned by Christians. But must students look like pilgrims in schools? shocked cool
the thing tire me no be small
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by imek26: 9:33am On Nov 18, 2011
The school authority should allow them wear their hijabs.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by buzor(m): 9:36am On Nov 18, 2011
@funLiS, you must be a complete goat, didnt you see the name of the school, i guess u must also be blind as well, ode. i guess u ppl should create your own schools so you can year hajab
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by cold(m): 9:37am On Nov 18, 2011
These kinda stories are usually unheard of in the south.However,we hope this is not a prelude to a northern styled extremism permeating into the south.Otherwise,wahala dey
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by FunLis: 9:42am On Nov 18, 2011
I
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Aseye(m): 9:45am On Nov 18, 2011
for me i reali dont undstnd when people stand up to violence, is dt what is being tot? what kind of leader will lead a protest, is dt d way to lead? go to schs in d north (pry, sec & even uni), hijab is part of their dressing and no one is complaining because we dt go dere have acceptd it as their way of life and culture, every society as its own peculiarity, so if a sch insist dt hijab no dey part of him sch uniform, wher is d violence in dt? if na so everybody be for nigeria, i wonder if we go get chance to talk abt dis here, who go remain?
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by yuboy: 9:49am On Nov 18, 2011
A-ZeD:

Separation of regligion and state is the only solution to this problem
hey man y did u coll 4 seperations are u in ur right senses if i may ask u dis silly guy u are d type dat wona destroy d peaceful conditions of dis states koooooooooooooooo
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Keemie(f): 9:50am On Nov 18, 2011
Religious tolerance? Since it's a public school the muslim students should be allowed their hijabs.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Drzak(m): 9:52am On Nov 18, 2011
How long will u pple fail to understand that Nigeria is a highly religious and cultural country, when will u ever consider that in making certain policies in public places to respect the major religious views of the people . Instead you go and borrow complete western barbaric form of lifestyle . And u claim to live a worthy life.  Muslims are always protecting their religious right ( cos they know) and they always protest against that whenever it is breached. May be u guys are jealous of the beautiful appearance of the Muslims. Any one who is against the opinion of this Muslim is simply because the person has no moral and religious values to practice and protect . Nigeria govt must know that u can cheat us politically but not religiously.
    I love being a Muslim !
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by anishe(m): 10:17am On Nov 18, 2011
Most of us are being sentimental on this isssue because it bothers on religion. In UK where i stay presently, you can wear whatever you like on your school uniform. Nobody cares since it will not contribute to what you learn. Even at work places, you can where whatever you like.

Why are we so much disturbed if somebody wears hijab to school? Will that disturb what the teacher intends to teach or will that aid the student's understanding of the lecture eing delivered by the teacher?

NIGERIANS, WAKE UP!!!
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by clip: 10:26am On Nov 18, 2011
They can wear whatever they want to wear as long as it is not in the christian schools. Will they allow christian to read bible in their school and sing christian songs in the morning devotion?
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by icez: 10:27am On Nov 18, 2011
It is not a public school. angry

If you want to wear what you like go to a public school.

Muslims are all they same. Violence peeps.

This was how they muslims in the north started.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by phreakabit(m): 10:30am On Nov 18, 2011
Thank goodness we Igbos dont have this problem (Islam) to deal with. . . . Must have sounded very ignorant there, but . . . . . You think I care?
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by ziccoit: 10:31am On Nov 18, 2011
It is a known fact that nobody could force a Catholic faithful sister to remove her head cover. You see them with this even where such is hotly disallowed. They believe in what their faith dictate and society has no choice but to respect that. Individual creates institution therefore it must serve me and bend to my wants not the other way round. In as much as covering my head does not reduce me an inch as a student/human being, Muslims should be allowed to practise what their faith dictate anytime and anywhere. Period.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by icez: 10:36am On Nov 18, 2011
anishe:

Most of us are being sentimental on this isssue because it bothers on religion. In UK where i stay presently, you can wear whatever you like on your school uniform. Nobody cares since it will not contribute to what you learn. Even at work places, you can where whatever you like.

Why are we so much disturbed if somebody wears hijab to school? Will that disturb what the teacher intends to teach or will that aid the student's understanding of the lecture eing delivered by the teacher?

NIGERIANS, WAKE UP!!!

Please do not lie. I dislike liars. angry
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by DOGIDOPE: 10:37am On Nov 18, 2011
some people are just talking,if only they know what some of this people do with this so called hijab.Some of them use it as a mat when there is need for them to go down with their boy friends,i am talking from experience and you can quote me HIJAB MY FOOT
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by bisiaet: 10:44am On Nov 18, 2011
Muslims should go to dia Islamic schools and wear Hijab and not Missionary schools owned by Christians. But must students look like pilgrims in schools?

You are right bros.

This people at it again.  But why is it that everything about this religion is all about looking for trouble? You are attending Missionary and you want to be wearing Hijab to class why not go to Islamic school and wear Hijab, turbine and so on or is their no Islamic School around

Many will term this to be a religious intolerance but its Not because in an Islamic school they wont accept any form of christianity way so why do they want to impose their ways on christain school. Please the world should have be the best to live with both religion live as brothers in peace but it is unfortunate this religion called Islam has displayed it severally that the world of religion is all about Hate, Violence, Trouble seeking etc rather than live in Peace & Love and that would be the formular till the end of world would come. is so sad.

Please if anyone want to wear Hjkab, Turbine or whatever just simply go to Islamic School where your Hijab or Turbine would not mean an offence this is just simple. Is it a MUST to attend missionary schoolThere are so many Ansar-udeens School and Muslim College around pls go there that is all.
Re: Schools Shut Down In Osun Over Hijab by Goddex: 10:49am On Nov 18, 2011
But the schools mentioned here are all missionary (christian) schools.

Why do muslims like trouble? Is it because Osun state now has a muslim
governor (Aregbesola)?

Ordering Transcripts Online - University Of Ibadan / Physiotherapy Vs Dentistry @uniben?? / Did You Use Or Remember Olympic Exercise-Book?