Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Learning Java Without Tears - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Learning Java Without Tears (10667 Views)

Is It A Wise Choice To Start Learning Java / Learning Java Programming / Learning Java Algorithms:merge Equal And Unequal Arrays. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learning Java Without Tears by mimohmi(m): 11:36pm On Aug 19, 2006
Final note on variables. Remember from the last note, I listed the various data types and played with
numerical data types by getting the minimium and maximum values, we also talked about char for single letters.
So let me just run through different way of declaring variables in Java.

Numeric Variables:

We can define numeric types using number system like decimal(default), Octal and Hexadecimal. Let just quickly show that.

//The program demonstrates how to declare and use Java Data type

public class VariablePlay2 {

public static void main(String [] args){

//Using decimal
int decimal = 1000;

//using octal. add 0 as prefix
int octal = 01000;

//using hexadecimal. add 0x as prefix, values are not case sensitive
int hexa = 0XADC;
//show that hexadecimal values are not case sensitive
int hexa2 = 0xadc;

//Here, just want to print out the values, notice "" and +, just saying append one value to the
// end of the other, without it, we will just get the sum of the numbers
System.out.println("decimal value is "+decimal + " "+", octal value is "+ octal + " "+", hexa value is "
+ hexa + " "+", hexa2 value is "+ hexa2);
}
}

Result:

decimal value is 1000 , octal value is 512 , hexa value is 2780 , hexa2 value is 2780

So we can see that it is easy to use other number systems in Java, just follow the rules. Let's look at other rules.

Character:

To define a character in java, simple use char data type. Note you can assign only single letters and numbers within the rquired
range as demostrated earlier. It must be placed within a single quote.Also, you can assign unicode values to a char variable
but must begin with \u as prefix. Let me do some demo.

//The program demostrates how to declare and use char Data type

public class VariablePlay3 {

//declare variable of char
char singleLetter = 'z';

//using Unicode values
char Unicode = '\u004E'; //unicode value for letter E

//using decimal
char decimal = 234;

//using hexadecimal
char hexa = 0x892;

//Here, just want to print out the values, notice "" and +, just saying append one value to the
System.out.println("Single Letter value is "+singleLetter + " "+", Unicode value is "+ unicode + " "+", decimal value is "
+ decimal + " "+", hexa value is "+ hexa);
}
}

Result:

Single Letter value is z , Unicode value is N , decimal value is O , hexa value is ?

Let's look at floating numbers, by default all floating numbers are double, just the way all integers are treated as int.
So, to specify a double variable a letter D or d is used as a postfix while for float letter F or f is used to indicate
that the variable is of type float. The following demo will show how.

public class VariablePlay4{

//declare variable of float
float balance = 1000.90f; //try removing the f, compiler scretches possible loss of precision
//you will be trying to put a squize an elephant in to an ant hole.

//declare a variable of double
double pay = 30003000.455; // notice here, no d or D is specified, compiler allows it
// because double is the default type for floating point numbers

//using postfix d for double
double change = 456.234d; // the compiler will just thank you for specifically tell her what to do.
// sorry, it a compiler he or she ?

//using postfix f
float fare = 38989.858f; //compiler will always force you to append f to your float declaration.

System.out.println("balance value is "+balance + " "+", pay value is "+ pay + " "+", change value is "
+ change + " "+", fare value is "+ fare);
}
}

Result:

balance value is 1000.9 , pay value is 3.0003000455E7 , change value is 456.234 , fare value is 38989.86

So, on a final lap, let's look at other issues on data type. Remember i said int is the default value for none floating point
numbers, but we have a long data type, so how do we declare it. It's simple, just append a letter L or l to it as a postfix.
Also note that Java is very sensitive with data types, once you declare a variable as a specific data type, the compiler
ensures it is used within that data type context except for few occassions, which i am going to demostrate.Before the demo
let's look at a case study.

Assuming you declare a variable of type byte and assign say 100 to it, if withing the program you added it to another number of any
data type, the compiler automatically promotes the result to type int. So the gist is this, when you add two numbers of any type, you get an int
as a result. So, how do get the required type back, we have to explicitely tell the compiler, hey i want my answer to be of this type by casting.
If you have never heard of the word casting, not too much about it, it a process of telling the compiler that you know what you are doing and ready
to help responsible for any loss of precision.

//The program demostrates how to cast Java Data type

public class VariablePlay5{

//declare variable of byte
byte number1 = 1;

//declare a variable of short
byte number2 = 50;

/**declare a variable to hold the sum
this line will not pass the compiler because the result will automatically promoted to int
which is bigger than a byte
*/

//byte sum = number1 + number2;

/*To correct the line above, we have to explicitly cast it.
will this line make it pass the compiler ? The answer is no,
we are only casting number1 and not the result.
*/

//byte sum = (byte) number1 + number2;

// OK, will this one make pass the compiler, let watch and see.

byte sum = (byte)(number1 + number2);

//Here, because we are just outputting the result and not assigning it to any variable
//it works. Here I have do some tricks to add my number1 and number2 within the println method
System.out.print("The value of sum of number1 and number2 is "wink;
System.out.println(number1 + number2);

//ok, let's output our wahala sum
System.out.println("The value of sum after casting is = "+ sum);
}
}

Result:

The value of sum of number1 and number2 is 51
The value of sum after casting is = 51

So, when do we need to cast data types ? of course, when assigning larger data types to smaller types. From small to large is
done for us by the compiler.

Let's look at the other types. We might have some cases, where we want make a logical decision if certain conditions are true
or false. Ok, let see such in the next code.

public class VariablePlay6{

//Declare a long data type and set the value to 10000
//appending L is not mandatory but it is always good to do so.
// Some could easily tell from looking at your code
long number = 10000L;

//Declare an int data type and set the value to 1000
int number2 = 1000;

/*Declare a boolean data type and set the value to false.
Try changing the value to true and run it again to see the result
*/ Remember, it can only have a value of true or false
boolean isGreater = false;

if (isGreater) {

int add = (int)(number + number2);

System.out.println("The sum is = " +add);
}

int sub = (int)(number - number2);

System.out.println("The value of sub after test is = "+ sub);
System.out.println("The test failed "+ isGreater);

}
}

Result :

The value of sub after test is = 9000
The test failed false

Some people might have been worried as how do I declare a variable to hold say names and other things
that hasn't been covered. OK, i will just demostrate that now. In Java, there is a class called String.
String is handled in a very flexible way in Java. They are not among the primitive data types, but
object types or what is called reference variables. They also treated specially, we find ourselves
making alot of use of this type as i am going to demostrate in the next demo. Sorry before the demo,
string variables are declared by puting the variable value within a double quote.

//The program demostrates how use String in Java

public class VariablePlay7{

//Creating a String Reference variable by instantiating the String Class
// and passing the value to it construstor
String firstName = new String("Musa"wink;

//creating s a string by just initializing it with a value
String surname = "Muhammad";

//create an int to hold say age
int age = 50;

// create an int to a number
int number = 12;

//notice the + sign. It is used to join string objects
//ie add more string together.
System.out.println(firstName + surname);

//let add space between firstname and surname
System.out.println(firstName + " " + surname);

//let add age to number
System.out.println(age + number);

//let's print all the variables
//watch this output closely
//Everything was just appended to each other, if the first argument to the print method is a string
//everything will just be treated as string

System.out.println(firstName + surname + age + number);

//Let print a nice looking output

System.out.println(firstName + " "+surname + " "+ "is "+age + " years old and his lucky number is "+ number);

}
}

Result:

MusaMohammed
Musa Muhammad
MusaMohammed5012
Musa Muhammad is 50 years old and his lucky number is 12

Using String could be very tricky in java, because you will need to understand how they are created and manipulated. For example , if we create
String objects say to represent Dog and Cat. If we add the two, a third string will be created to hold the value while the original strings
are still hanging in memory and holding their references.But when you change the reference, the value still exit in memory and we can not
access them due to lack of reference,that's why we have to be very careful when using string because one might end up creating alot unreferenced
string object which will just be occupying a chunk of memory.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by ojochonu: 10:38pm On Aug 21, 2006
am yet 2 start learning at niit
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by mimohmi(m): 11:17pm On Aug 22, 2006
No big deal, you can just use this as an additional resource.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:51pm On Sep 17, 2006
abeg u guys help me after downloading the java version 1.5.8 and editing the control panel thing my command prompt refuses to open it shows another program is currently using this file help me plz am so frustrated
whats left is C:\Program Files\Salford Software\FTN95;C:\Program Files\Salford Software\FTN95;
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by hayprof(m): 10:21pm On Sep 17, 2006
I want one of those cds too!
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by mimohmi(m): 11:56pm On Sep 17, 2006
@afolabbi

Please don't be frustrated, we all go through this when we are getting into something new, but I will tell you that
you are doing well, because we tend to learn more from our mistakes. Go through this process, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-8060.0.html#msg569210 if it doesn't work, please just post
you classpath, so that I can see where things went gaga, hoping to hear from you.

@heyprof, if you don't mind give me a call on 018972759, so that time to meet. Pls get 3 blank cds.
Thanks
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by gbengaijot(m): 12:04am On Sep 18, 2006
isnt it just easier to download jDK 5.0 and then install it, as well as install Blue J. It automatically configures it path to the java development kit.

Isnt tat right Mimohmi?
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by mimohmi(m): 1:03am On Sep 18, 2006
@gbengaijot

For jre, yes, that is the Java Runtime Environment, but for the jdk, that is the development Environment,
NO, you have to manually add it to you classpath. Hope I have answer you question, have a nice day
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by gbengaijot(m): 8:24am On Sep 18, 2006
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:51am On Sep 18, 2006
thanks this is my CLASSPATH "i\QTJava.zip"

this is wat remains of PathC:\Program Files\Salford Software\FTN95;C:\Program Files\Salford Software\FTN95;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\bin,.%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\

not wen i type cmd in the run dialog box it says another program is currently using this file, also others like telnet isn't recognised by windows anymore then isqlw, windows says it can't find the file but its there
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by mimohmi(m): 12:48am On Sep 19, 2006
@gbengaijot

Ok, this is the point, by the fact that your classpath was added to Blue J, doesn't mean it is
in your system classpath, the reason you were ask to install the Java SE first was to enable the Blue J to
integrate the java tools into it's own environment. Try going to your command prompt and type javac
or any of the tools in your Java SE bin folder. Won't tell you the result, or just try install some tool
like Tomcat, they screech and ask for JAVA_HOME, try and post your result.

@adewaleafolabi

From your classpath, i can't really figure out what the QTJava.zip is all about, but what I think you should do is set your
JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0
then add %JAVA_HOME%\bin to the end of your classpath, open a new Dos prompt and type javac and you should see a message like this

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>javac
Usage: javac <options> <source files>
where possible options include:
-g Generate all debugging info
-g:none Generate no debugging info
-g:{lines,vars,source} Generate only some debugging info
, ,
, ,

Your final classpath should be like this.
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Pane;%JAVA_HOME%\bin
Hope it helps, if it doesn't let me know.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by mimohmi(m): 2:56am On Sep 19, 2006
@chistiana
Sorry for not checking some of the past post, ok, just feel free to let me where you got
lost, it is a learning thread, I did promised from my first post to carry everybody along.
Infact, if there are points that are not clear, anybody should just feel free to ask for
further clarification. So, expecting your post.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by sedan(m): 2:21am On Sep 23, 2006
hi everyone. pls how can I can get in touch wit sir mimoh for the cds. thanx
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by Bossman(m): 8:24am On Sep 23, 2006
Can't you just send him an email via his profile?

sedan:

hi everyone. please how can I can get in touch wit sir mimoh for the cds. thanx
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by CHUKWUTEM(m): 1:19pm On Sep 23, 2006
Mimoh_mi
I need d CDs but I'm presently@Abuja.I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR EFFORTS.I downloaded all d tutorials to my fone.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by mimohmi(m): 11:44pm On Sep 24, 2006
@ sedan

Am in Lagos, had problems with my old laptop, so lost all I had on it. All hope is not lost,
got another laptop for two months now. Still got all those stuff and more. So all you have to
do is give me a call on 01-8972759, and get some blank cds, and copy all you can.
For people outside Lagos, still give me a call, so that we make adequate plans to
get it across, wish all Java Fun week ahead.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by sedan(m): 2:14am On Sep 25, 2006
oh! im so grateful, i'll call u soonest. thanx.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by sedan(m): 9:49am On Mar 05, 2007
hey there, I was looking thru dis thread and Im really finding it interestin but the challenge is, I click on ur link (sbucareer) to download the platform. it was sucessful but when it got to modifying the classpath, I did it & went to command prompt, javac.
It came out wit an error message, in short, I want to start compiling bt its not going
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by Bossman(m): 12:25pm On Mar 05, 2007
From your post, I am thinking it can't find javac. Make sure you path is pointed to where javac is located. You can either set your path to it or try to compile from that location. It should be in the bin folder of your JDK installation.

Unless you are actually getting compile erroers. In which case you have to figure that out.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by IronFist(m): 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2007
Hi, if there is anyone in Abuja who is interested in getting Java materials (SDK and ebooks), u can give me a shout on 0805-931-7632.
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by azpunpin: 10:40pm On Aug 18, 2008
Hi,
I am really interested in learning Java @ all cost, I read through this Post and it is encouraging.
1UP to You Poster,

Please, kindly continue the Tutorial.

Thanx
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by fellybabe(f): 10:46am On Apr 12, 2010
Well done
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by rafellove: 9:20pm On Feb 06, 2016
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by indupriya1: 6:01am On Nov 25, 2017
Hai very nice to read your post lots of useful information and also check links complete java.Very useful before going to written test or Interview

Core Java Technical Interview Questions
http://java2python.com/core-java-technical-interview-questions/

Core Java Tutorials

http://java2python.com/core-java-tutorials/

Core Java Interview Questions

http://java2python.com/core-java-interview-questions/

Online Practice Tests

http://java2python.com/online-practice-tests/

Core Java Technical Test ( MCQ Questions) | Core Java Written Test

http://java2python.com/core-java-technical-test-mcq-questions-core-java-written-test/

Core Java Online Test (MCQ’S) | Objective Type

http://java2python.com/core-java-online-test-mcqs-objective-type/
Re: Learning Java Without Tears by Karleb(m): 10:46am On May 30, 2020
grin grin grin grin

I strongly recommend Java: the complete reference by Herbert Schildt.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Java EE Developer And Spring Developer In Here. / Can I Learn Programming With A 32-bit Operating System? / Html,css,javascript Group Tutorial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.