Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,516 members, 7,808,881 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? (26252 Views)

What Anime Are You Watching Now? / Where Can I Watch "tango With Me" / What Anime Show Should I Watch? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by hexgear(m): 11:40pm On Sep 20, 2007
Good day to all you Anime fans out there. I'm in a bit of a dilemma, but first some back story:

While at University in the UK a friend of mine introduced me to the wonderful world of Japanese Animation and the rest as they say is history. Before I returned to Nigeria he hooked me up with gigabytes worth of Anime (I’m talking over 200GB) because I knew that back home the slow internet access wouldn't favor my downloading new series.

Anyways, from my stash I’ve seen the following:

Trigun
Full Metal Alchemist
Ergo Proxy
Samurai Champloo
One Piece (ongoing)
Devil May Cry (ongoing)

All brilliant series, worthy of your time but now I’m trying to figure out which series to start watching next. Could you all please recommend a series from the list below? Could you please drop a short summary on what it's about and why you like it. Thanks.

Bleach
Blood+
Chrno Crusade
Cowboy Bebop
Elfen Lied
Escaflowne
GetBackers
Great Teacher Onizuka
Gun X Sword
GunGrave
Hajime No Ippo
Hellsing
Ichigo Mashimaro
Monster
Naruto
Rurouni Kenshin

P.S. If there’s a really cool Anime series out there that you think is worthy of recognition but doesn’t show up on my list above then could you drop that too, I’ll be sure to look into it. Thanks again.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by samir101ng(m): 9:24pm On Sep 25, 2007
Hey, whats up Hexgear ?

Its nice to hear from guys like you out there. It makes us hope that the anime section of Nairaland is not completely dead yet.

Well now down to your qestion. Here are my views:-

1. Naruto and Naruto Shippudeen

It goes without saying that Naruto is by far one of the most popular anime out there right now. Its gots lots of comedy, the fighting sequences are not too bad, lots of history about the world of the Shinobi (Ninja), and good storyline. The filler episodes are not too bad either. Therefore, Naruto is No. 1 on my list of Anime to see.

2. Bleach

The next competitor to Naruto and also another action packed anime series. This anime though is not about Ninjas but closely resembling the world of the Samurai. Revovles around spirits, the afterlife and such other issues. Though i must emphasize that the action sequences in Bleach is a hell of a lot more explosive than Naruto and the principal method of fighting is using a sword (Zanpaktou) which has unique abilities to each individual.

3. Hellsing

This is another good anime though its a lot older (i think it was made in the earlier 90's). This one revovles around the world of vampires and other undead creatures. A particular vampire called Alucard is unique among vampires and belongs to an organisation that kills vampires and other creatures. Hellsing is a lot more bloody and adult than the other animes.

4. Blood +

This anime revolves around creatures that look like werewolves.  The main character is a girl that has the only skills to kill these creatures and her blood is toxic to them. Incidentally, she has a twin sister who is evil and their mother was one of the original werewoles. This anime series is whacked as far as i am concerned. the storyline is rubbish, action seqences is just slice and cut with no magic or any spells used. Infact just leave this one.

5. DeathNote

This is a must see anime for all intellectuals and good thinkers. Though this anime is not an action series, this series is unique in the fact that is has the best script, an storyline in a japanese anime so far that i have seen. It all has to do with a note that when you write the name of a person he dies immediately. A student finds it and determines to rule the world with it by killing all bad people. This a very good anime and i highly recommend it.

Well, i have contributed my 2 cents worth. Ma guys, where are you all ? Make you na help this guy abeg. Peace. Out

Whats up Gbade.X, Grafikdon and all my homies on the anime section ? Wetin dey happen now my brothers. We no dey hear from you guys again.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by hexgear(m): 11:24am On Oct 02, 2007
Hey samir101ng, thanks a lot for the suggestions and summaries, they were really informative.

I want to round up all the "already-completed" Anime before I start on the "ongoing" ones so I guess I’ll start watching Hellsing first before i set off on the long road of catching up with Bleach and Naruto.

I haven't seen (or heard of) the DeathNote Anime before, although I recall watching a pretty cool trailer of the upcoming movie and it looked really interesting. If it's as good as you say it is then it should be worth watching, I’ll take your word for it and check it out.

Thanks again
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by samir101ng(m): 2:34pm On Oct 04, 2007
You are welcome and it was nice to talk to somebody again.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by echowords(m): 12:38am On Oct 13, 2007
Business like as usual samir. cool
Any way hex i recommend Basilisk for you and any anime lover out there.
hell of a story, great fights, best i've seen in a while. mature. content nothing really bad, try to wiki the stuff out and download it (about 24 episodes)
on bittorent. By the way one piece(on your list) i've heard alot about that anime, how good is it.?
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by hexgear(m): 1:36am On Oct 15, 2007
@echowords:

Hey man, thanks a lot for the suggestion on Basilisk. I looked it up on Wikipedia and I only needed to read the first couple of lines from the premise before I got intrigued; I mean Feudal Japan, Ninja's, The Shogun, Hattori Hanzo, what more do you need! Plus like you said it's only 24 episodes and not ongoing so it should be nice and simple to download, watch and wrap up.

Concerning One Piece; see I admire the Japanese Manga and Anime Authors and Producers for being able to take everyday, seemingly mundane activities and concepts like Boxing, Tennis, Racing, Samurai, School, etc (in this case Pirating) and tipping it on its head and flipping it 360 degrees, taking a fresh approach and breathing new life into it. I’ve never seen an Anime so funny yet so serious, although it’s centered on pirates it has everything from bad-ass Samurai’s to maniacal clowns, Capoeira using Chefs to Gods of thunder etc all in the mix. You just got to watch it to understand it but I bet you that you won't be disappointed.

P.S. There's a reason why it's number 9 on this list of the top 200 Anime. Whether it's you cup of tea or not I’ll leave to your own discretion. Thanks again.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by Seun(m): 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2007
Moved back to cartoon section.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by grafikdon: 8:43am On Nov 12, 2007
@ hexgear, you MUST add the following to your list:

Ghost In S Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Death Note
Trinity Blood
Eureka 7
The Boondocks (well not exactly 'anime' but it is well worth it)

@samir101ng, I dey for ground o my brother, but mostly active in Graphics and Politics (really wasting precious time in that section). Besides, I've been cooking up quite a lot of gigs lately (animation of course! grin) and ready to exhale. . . (kick web azz series grin)
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by echowords(m): 8:37am On Nov 13, 2007
I've seen a little of trinity blood, thought it was a bit -_-like devil may cry (slow paced). you know the author is dead. so current episodes
that might be out now are most likely written by someone else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i recommend Karas to any anime lover. ( CGI graphics, ninja genre.)
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by Rol: 8:13pm On Jan 12, 2009
hey hex if i where to recommend one series for you to watch?,

my first choice would have to be GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) its great, funny and really good story(its about a ex-gang leader who wants to become the greatest teacher ever in japan) and if you like GTO check out Shonan Junai Gumi, wich is the youth years of Onizuka.

also what i would recommend is Battle Programmer Shirase its also a good anime, its about a mysterious computer h@cker,

good luck with the choices

Rol tongue

P.S. why can't you say H@cker with an normal a . . .   ? all you get is naughty boy
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jan 14, 2009
I think I read a bit of battle programmer shirase, since I code a bit I should find it interesting. Anyways poster lemme recommend these titles:

-Trinity Blood,

-Getbackers

-Claymore

I can't believe you havent gotten into bleach and naruto yet. Omo you dey miss o! grin
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by vescucci(m): 2:48pm On Jan 15, 2009
@Poster. My personal favorite anime of all time is Rurouni Kenshin. Absolutely fabulous!

Others among your list worth watching are Naruto, Bleach (Don't like the story but there's action in it) and Gungrave. I haven't personally sampled Gungrave but someone told me it's nice. The rest in your list have me clueless. One not in your list though is Dragonaut. I like this one very very much (and not only cuz of the big boobies). If you can choose not to be too cynical, you'll like Murder Princess.

Good luck

@Samir. I didn't even know there was an anime section. I'll check it out presently.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by asada(m): 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2009
I don't watch anime much but AVATAR:The Last Air Bender is okay.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by SUXXI(m): 8:33am On Feb 13, 2009
I really like the Avatar series. Its funny and i just love it.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by grafikdon: 9:42pm On Feb 23, 2009
Watch The Following. . .

Speedgrapher

Monster

Ryoko's Case File

Macros Zero (Don't be fooled by all the mecha stuff, it is a very captivating anime)

Code Geas/Code GeasR2 (Again, don't let all the mecha razzmatazz turn you off, this is the perch-on-the-edge-of-the-seat thriller)

Elfenlied

Busou Renkin

Claymore ( shocked shocked shocked shocked)
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by asweetcake: 4:45pm On Mar 21, 2009
My brother really really likes Bleach but i cant say cause ive never watched it. But i think you should really watch Naruto. Its full of laughs. Its about this young orphan who has this demon trapped in him. He can harness the energy of this demon, thus, making him one of the (potentially) strongest members of the Shinobi clan. His life ambition is to be Hokage (the leader), but it seems so unlikely cause he always gets into trouble, he's never really serious, but once he puts his mind to things he accomplishes them. Also, he really really likes people and would do anything for his friends. The story is about their cases as ninjas and his growth from young silly boy to Hokage material! Really, WATCH IT!! cheesy
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by otikpoko(m): 8:55am On Mar 22, 2009
AVATAR THE LAST AIRBENDER is the first series you should watch.The cartoon is is , infact too too AWESOME.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by asweetcake: 5:30pm On Mar 22, 2009
otikpoko:

AVATAR THE LAST AIRBENDER is the first series you should watch.The cartoon is is , infact too too AWESOME.

Now that you mention it, Naruto is great, but Avatar is awesome!!!!
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by djhersheys: 10:48pm On May 06, 2009
yo if you like mystery/murder cases anime i would watch case close or spiral grin grin
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by tunaperez: 1:27pm On Jul 06, 2009
i was watched a movie called "grave of the fireflies" a few days ago.
it is really interesting and you should check it out.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by ProfJYK(m): 12:31pm On Jul 08, 2009
i'm so avatar intoxicated. just got hooked up on it recently
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by nosmas96: 9:56pm On Nov 13, 2009
HAJIME NO IPPO & FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by mikkyphp(m): 8:10pm On Nov 18, 2009
BLEACH!!!!!
Getsuga Tenshou!!
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by stake01: 8:40am On Nov 23, 2009
According to me you should watch Pokemon and south park tv show.
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by animegod20: 5:31pm On Jun 02, 2010
many of those our good anime,
but the best ones are,

1. blood+
gots some good action and is sort of about vampires,
the main character is a girl,
this girls blood can kill the vampires,

2. bleach
it is super long,
it has over 200 episodes and still on going,
it is so long that i decided to not watch the english subbed only episodes,
gots good action,

3. monster
i have not finished it yet becuase i am watching other anime right now,
but great action,

4. Rurouni Kenshin
another great anime,
great action and plot,

some even better anime than the ones above

devil may cry
it came from the famous game devil may cry,
so it is about a half demon half human demon hunter saving the entire world basically,

school days,
if you want to be scared to death then this anime is perfect,
it doesn't get scary until the end though but right when i did not expect it
complete shock and horror, (i warned you)

oh i heard that cowboy bebop and trigun where good anime

oh but this to are my most favorite animes

11eyes
best action and plot ever,
great plot that keeps you wanting to watch more,
the plot twists a bit here and there

this one whose one the list

Chrno Crusade
this one is sort of like inyasha it gots a demon and a girl as the main characters,

and two okay anime,
inyasha and inyasha: final act

hope this helped you out on what to decide
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by atilla(m): 6:01pm On Jun 05, 2010
abeg where can guys download or watch mangas online?
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by Hardballer(m): 3:17am On Jun 06, 2010
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by mike7184(m): 7:03am On Aug 12, 2010
Detective Conan
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by Okijajuju1(m): 2:36am On Nov 26, 2010
I am an Anime lover myself and only stumbled on this thread cos I was looking for a new Anime to start.

Let me shout it out here that one f the best Animes out there that is intellectually stimulating is;

1. DEATH NOTE: All I can say is watch it.

2. NARUTO & NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: A mixture of laughs, action and adventure.

3. BLEACH: Another cool anime.

4. ONE PIECE: I just love the story of Monkey D. Luffy (Pirate King).

I wll start downloading Rouronin Kenshin today!
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by Wordsmith(m): 9:03am On Nov 26, 2010
@ samir101ng,
longest time it has been. If you are wondering who this is, it's gbade. x .dunno if you are reading this, though.

Newayz, back to the topic -

saw Blade Of The Immortal in school. Didn't really like the storyline or the action sequence.
Full Metal Alchemist.
Asura Cryin'.
Death Note (u definitely have to see this one).
The usual suspects in the form of Naruto and Bleach, me is still watching them.
Oh, i read the Ganttz manga back in school. Adult stuff but nice storyline.

I saw two other crappy animes- Samurai Deeper Kyo or sumthn like that and one other Tenjiho reh reh whatever. Crappy storyline, even more wacker action/fight sequence.

I have to ask, what is the hype about Ghost In The Shell? I saw it and found it boring and not worth the hype. . .
Re: What Anime Series Should I Watch Next? by dastudent(m): 3:44pm On Nov 26, 2010
Okija_juju:

I am an Anime lover myself and only stumbled on this thread cos I was looking for a new Anime to start.

Let me shout it out here that one f the best Animes out there that is intellectually stimulating is;

1. DEATH NOTE: All I can say is watch it.

2. NARUTO & NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: A mixture of laughs, action and adventure.

3. BLEACH: Another cool anime.

4. ONE PIECE: I just love the story of Monkey D. Luffy (Pirate King).

I wll start downloading Rouronin Kenshin today!

Attention-Rurouni kenshin is "samurai x".

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Powerful Super Heroes. / Cross BBNaija: I Am More Interested In Finding Love Than Winning N90m / Learn Hopw To Play The Saxophone Within Three Months.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.