Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures (129191 Views)

Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by lagcity(m): 5:42pm On Nov 19, 2011
i like the swag. 4get all that European attire talk.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by lagcity(m): 5:43pm On Nov 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Nice pictures.

Is this a Yoruba fan I see? smiley

which one be Yoruba fan again?
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 5:46pm On Nov 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Nice pictures.

Is this a Yoruba fan I see? smiley

www.nairaland.com/attachments/575037_532893_Ikwerre_bride_jpgaa5d33ce6cdc33bee0b4698ecd626e6f_jpgccc9ea83a7ff83fee04a1e57aa0da980

Yea it iz smiley
she was actually getting married to a Yoruba man
I guess she wanted to add some yoruba flavour to her Ijaw trad

1 Like

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 5:48pm On Nov 19, 2011
Gov Chibuke Amaechi also representing

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2011
ijaw_girl:

Yea it iz smiley
she was actually getting married to a Yoruba man
I guess she wanted to add some yoruba flavour to her Ijaw trad

Thanks. . . . I liked how she mixed both tradition for respect sake kiss

lagcity:

which one be Yoruba fan again?

Jor, maa ti e bere pelu mi, ki n to bu e. I'm ver observant.

This Edo woman is also married to a Yoruba man, check her hands

www.nairaland.com/attachments/402331_edo7_jpg66b0b4c0f1019272a01e7056a16a45ae

This is a Yoruba fan {P.S Check your mother's wedding pictures, you'll get what I'm saying}

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by lagcity(m): 5:58pm On Nov 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Thanks. . . . I liked how she mixed both tradition for respect sake kiss

Jor, maa ti e bere pelu mi, ki n to bu e. I'm ver observant.

This Edo woman is also married to a Yoruba man, check her hands

yay! shocked shocked shocked Anti Eleke Eebu. Mo ti ri faanu yi daada ni ibi inawo sugbon mi o mo pe awa nikan la'n lo faanu yi. Swag wa ti po ju ni ile Yoruba cool.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2011
lagcity:

yay! shocked shocked shocked Anti Eleke Eebu. Mo ti ri faanu yi daada ni ibi inawo sugbon mi o mo pe awa nikan la'n lo faanu yi. Swag wa ti po ju ni ile Yoruba cool.

It's being generalized to other tribes too, my dear.

Igbo bride

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr1RsQ7OGkeZYMCIBSoHyo2IE2n-WCttzKngr0PcabBN92nw7jHrdeWiS-[/img]

PS: I like the Ijaw hat tho, I might wear that come my 7th wedding  kiss
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by tpia5: 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2011
why do people always jump up anytime someone identifies yoruba?

what's the fear?

the yoruba looking men in the earlier photos probably have maternal yoruba ancestry.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 6:25pm On Nov 19, 2011
ijaw

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nasoeb: 8:22pm On Nov 19, 2011
Ijaw-girl,
Imiegbam

for all those Useless people talking trash about ijaw tribe and culture or having similarities with the Europeans, it is simply because of the very cordial and long relationship we had with Brits and Portuguese in which we shared alot and had to learn few necessary WAYS of "expressing" our Culture. we didn't necessarily take the white man's culture.

Let he whose culture has never learnt from another forever Remain "BOKO HARAM" (Western Education is forbidden)

Faggotts

1 Like

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nasoeb: 8:49pm On Nov 19, 2011
Kai !!! Ijaw people too fine,

omo see attire. see clean chics and bobos

God punish wowo

I am so proud to be an Ijaw.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by maki(f): 9:09pm On Nov 19, 2011
I am so proud of my kalabari-ijaw culture, d pipo that are hating because it's European influenced, yes it is u can go hang yourself, that's why our names are bob-Manuel, jack, Briggs, people green, whyte, yellow,green,blue jack, black duke, countless, and we love it that way, and for your info so many other tribes are getting influenced by the ijaw cultural attire now, don't lie,
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nasoeb: 9:17pm On Nov 19, 2011
@maki
Turo

Dont mind the bad belle people. what else can dey sey dan rubbish.

anybody wey no like am, make em go report to Boko Haram
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nasoeb: 9:21pm On Nov 19, 2011
Ijaw girl make i know you more na as you be my sister join.

Most of those guys in the pics na my buddy right from Primary school.

make we yarn more
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 19, 2011
maki:

I am so proud of my kalabari-ijaw culture, d pipo that are hating because it's European influenced, yes it is u can go hang yourself, that's why our names are bob-Manuel, jack, Briggs, people green, whyte, yellow,green,blue jack, black duke, countless, and we love it that way, and for your info so [size=18pt]many other tribes are getting influenced by the ijaw cultural attire now,[/size] don't lie,

That's expected, for Eastern Nigerian cultures to intermingle. Intertribal marriages plenty for that side.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by tpia5: 9:31pm On Nov 19, 2011
These names are a bit over the top nah?

I mean, i`m just saying.

Unless the people bearing them are of european descent.

And what happened to the regular ijaw names- i mean those long ones which are a bit difficult to pronounce.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by maki(f): 9:32pm On Nov 19, 2011
nasoeb:

@maki
Turo

Dont mind the bad belle people. what else can dey sey dan rubbish.

anybody wey no like am, make em go report to Boko Haram

Ibim  cheesy  smiley  wink
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by maki(f): 9:33pm On Nov 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That's expected, for Eastern Nigerian cultures to intermingle. Intertribal marriages plenty for that side.

Gbam,
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by odumchi: 9:41pm On Nov 19, 2011
Just to make a clarification. The top/bowl hat has nothing to do with European ifluences or etc. It is simply a political symbol for minorities particularly those in the Niger Delta and SS. Ijaws, Edos, Urhobos, and Itsekiri all wear them. Just as the red cap is a political symbol for the Igbos so is the bowl hat for the people listed above.

@Ijawgirl these are interesting. Could you find a photo of the president with his native attire?
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by amor4ce(m): 9:57pm On Nov 19, 2011
Any pre-1960 (independence) pictures?
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by tpia5: 9:59pm On Nov 19, 2011
Odumchi

i'm not sure what you mean by the top hat has nothing to do with europeans.

You do know those hats were sometimes payment for slaves right?

Besides i i believe they were used in liberia as well by the american returnees.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by tpia5: 10:01pm On Nov 19, 2011
You'll notice the traditional attire (the one gej normally ears- dont know what it's called) has a faint resemblance to coat tails.

[img]http://4.bp..com/_HMDoKIMVk88/SKI-GjVxycI/AAAAAAAAAEA/hezOoyDa6JQ/s200/tophats+and+coat+tails+night.JPG[/img]

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Natasha2(f): 10:12pm On Nov 19, 2011
maki:

I am so proud of my kalabari-ijaw culture, d pipo that are hating because it's European influenced, yes it is u can go hang yourself, that's why our names are bob-Manuel, jack, Briggs, people green, whyte, yellow,green,blue jack, black duke, countless, and we love it that way, and for your info so many other tribes are getting influenced by the ijaw cultural attire now, don't lie,
nasoeb:

Ijaw-girl,
Imiegbam

for all those Useless people talking trash about ijaw tribe and culture or having similarities with the Europeans, it is simply because of the very cordial and long relationship we had with Brits and Portuguese in which we shared alot and had to learn  few necessary WAYS of "expressing" our Culture. we didn't necessarily take  the white man's culture.

Let he whose culture has never learnt from another forever Remain "BOKO HARAM" (Western Education is forbidden)

Faggotts
SECONDED  
tpia@:

Odumchi

i'm not sure what you mean by the top hat has nothing to do with europeans.

You do know those hats were sometimes payment for slaves right?

Besides i i believe they were used in liberia as well by the american returnees.

And what does it matter? its part of our culture and you can do nada about it  cheesy

@op Lovely pics
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Revolva(m): 10:27pm On Nov 19, 2011
But why are Ijaw girls very raw, they can Bleep you till death, haha, kai, dem no send ooo and they can booze, even the man liek women a lot, kai, Bleep here and there na hobby, there, Up Bayelsa.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by OneNaira6: 10:55pm On Nov 19, 2011
@ Tpia
I see an Igbo woman picture posted up there as Ijo so maybe the one you think are Yoruba might actually be Yoruba dressed as Ijo.

@OP
Nice picture
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 11:20pm On Nov 19, 2011
thanks ya all

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 11:31pm On Nov 19, 2011
ij

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 11:36pm On Nov 19, 2011
ij

1 Like

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 11:46pm On Nov 19, 2011
ijaw

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 11:52pm On Nov 19, 2011
ij

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by kandiikane(m): 12:22am On Nov 20, 2011
Is the ijaws the same as the cross river state people? My aunt married last year(she is from cross river state) and her husband is Igbo but she wore what I am seeing here, the attire, including the hat in the second to last photo, beaded walking stick and heavy bead necklaces.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by odumchi: 12:35am On Nov 20, 2011
kandiikane:

Is the ijaws the same as the cross river state people? My aunt married last year(she is from cross river state) and her husband is Igbo but she wore what I am seeing here, the attire, including the hat in the second to last photo, beaded walking stick and heavy bead necklaces.

No Cross River is Efik however every group in the east adorns themselves heavily with neck beads. :p

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) / 18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.