Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? (4771 Views)

How Do I Change A Domain Name Servers Bought Through GNBO Upperlink Limited / MTN Webplus Vs Google GNBO. Any Effect On Us ? / Google Launches "get Nigerian Businesses Online" - Gnbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by webguru(m): 2:38am On Nov 20, 2011
I think GNBO's bad,

What do you guys think ?
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by yawatide(f): 6:29am On Nov 20, 2011
If this were an essay question and you were my student, I would have failed you. So it is bad? Why?

I happen to think it isn't bad. Not everyone, especially those just entering the business world (think of the Mama Iyabos of the world selling mama put), may have the money to get a good website done. Thanks to GNBO, they can at least have something going until they have the money to go big time.

It is also a good idea for those who want something up and running real quick, while waiting for their main site to go up. For instance, I did a website for someone recently. Midway through, he was already demanding a redesign. Of course I charged him extra so don't ask tongue . What we agreed I would do is, proceed with the current design, so that he at least has a website, which is something his clients were asking for as a condition of doing business with him, then work on the new design.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by moderatorr: 7:15am On Nov 20, 2011
google thought that we are blacks that still live in trees!
See, we've been rocking and wordpress since 1940!
So what else has gnbo brought?
Thought they were gon give free full domain names not subdomains.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by Sike(m): 2:54pm On Nov 21, 2011
webguru:

I think GNBO's bad,

What do you guys think ?
Sorry, but what is GNBO?
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by buzor(m): 2:57pm On Nov 21, 2011
good for small business and churches since its a static site. and besides, if you want the full domain, you pay N1,500. so now whats bad about the gnbo, cos we nigerians are good at criticising. just like some folks criticised the youwin
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by dammytosh: 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2011
@Poster you are right, it is bad 4 petty website designers cos i got a website up and running in 12mins.

It is also good for businesses who jst want an online presence nothing more.

i can not justify any 'BAD' outside this context.

- My Opinion
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by abelian: 4:23pm On Nov 21, 2011
One salient point that everyone is missing here is the fact that google can not offer enterprise solutions in terms of designs and functionalities on these websites hosted by google.
What you get is a basic site on a free domain. To me, i see this as opening up more opportunities for professionals in the area of web designing.

For example a school gets free hosting and a basic website layout from google, but its closest competitor another school in the neighbourhood, has a paid hosting with professionally designed layout and functions that enables parents to check their wards' results, term dates, an automated email telling the parent the date of the next Open day (PTA). I foresee the school on google wanting to improve on their website as soon as possible to be able compete with the other school. It is a win-win situation for web developers because google is creating the market for us, by giving them the taste of what its like to be on the web and this will keep them yearning for more in the nearest future.

I would even advocate for people to use this package, knowing fully well that this same people will come back to me for improvements very soon.

wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by tsupilot: 4:41pm On Nov 21, 2011
Seems like a lot of Nigerians are myopic and short-sighted with their outlook. Here we go again with importing goods. The oyibo man brings in products not manufactured here and we jump on the bandwagon once again.

Where is there room for Innovation or workforce development when all businesses have to do is just register with NGBO. All the unemployment we are experiencing and a young workforce sitting idle, is this what Google's vision of social responsibility is when it comes to assisting developing countries. Think of a young graphics designer, web hosting small business, software developer where and how does this increase the opportunities out there for them.

Think! how can the local talent within the web design industry gain maturity and complete on a global scale when google hopes to "HELP" (EXPLOIT) the local business communities?

When Nigerian enterpreneurs have taken time to develop products while employing local hands to mature business listing products, web hosting, design and other services, Google wants to step on the scene like a bully and eliminate all the hardwork these guys have put in. Nigerians import cars, food, electronics, furniture, clothes, drugs, computers and everything else under the sun. The one product that can demonstrate our ability to be dependent is once again is being imported. Open your eyes people!

Google trader, NGBO and all the other services they offer were developed in California and Google is only going to be profitable providing this service in the Nigerian market as the employees are not on the Nigerian shores. Tops they have 50 employees in Nigeria and will make revenue of $500million annually after investing less than 10% of that amount in your economy.

So folks like Tradestable, ConnectNigeria, NigeriaGalleria, Whereyoudey and other local products will have to leave town because they can't compete with google. Just see the massive advertising campaign they have on Facebook, where others are running campaigns of $0.25 per click I am sure google has theirs set to $0.50 per click. How can a local startup survive. WE CHOOSE NOT TO BE CONSUMERS!

Also you'd be a fool to use NGBO because they do not have any verification and validation process. John Doe Services off 419 lane can register and use this as an avenue to dupe millions of people. Most local products verify your business exists by verifying a physical address and corporate affairs registration.

This is not America, I would encourage everyone stick to local products that employ local hands. Google search is enough for us at least google doesn't provide business listings in America & EUROPE. "I beg the question, Why Nigeria?"

If they really want to help, support African business in improving SEOs, provide Google Ad payment solutions and collaborate with existing platforms to increase their core competencies. At least they still gain from the search and ad services at the end of the day!

Please don't censor my post Nairaland!
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:39pm On Nov 21, 2011
Sike:

Sorry, but what is GNBO?
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by yawatide(f): 6:02pm On Nov 21, 2011
tsupilot:

If I had $1m to spare, you would get it, on the basis of your excellent post. If I had another 500K to spare, I would give it to abelian (yep, perhaps groups who need to do stuff temporarily and don't need it as a core competency can use it, just to get by).

We, as a black race in general, are nothing but a bunch of consumers.  Why couldn't the government, just like the chinese do, limit what google can do for us and then again like the chinese, encourage our own folks to come up with such original solutions?

Oil will not flow forever.  It is high time we start developing other sectors of our economy. Let's also not forget that google isn't exactly giving you that stuff for free. They are in the business of data collection. By signing up with them, you are losing 2ce: First by consuming their product and secondly, by (freely) telling them everything about you.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by atlantisls: 9:40pm On Nov 21, 2011
Sike:

Sorry, but what is GNBO?
Get Nigerian Businesses Online.
http://www.gnbo.com.ng/
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by lagoshost(m): 9:47pm On Nov 21, 2011
I never even checked that site. It is not for professional guys.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by atlantisls: 10:06pm On Nov 21, 2011
@ tsupilot,take it easy and slow down on the paranoia. be a little logical. When you're big, you're big! If you owned google, you'll probably do same.

I'm a web developer, and I can clearly see the difference in the GNBO package. The platform will actually improve commerce in Nigeria. I can tell you, more people will patronize web developers in the long-run. Think about websites like amazon and ebay. The americans also threw tantrums when they were first launched, but see how much exposure they now bring and how much they have improved the buying and selling process, especially for the average joe,
If you're a small business in Nigeria, you'll definitely not want professional web design as part of your starting costs, cos it can come pricey, but with the GNBO package, you can get your business running and earning some profit in no time.
When the small businesses grow, they'll see that the GNBO platforms are insufficient, then they'll call on the professional developer to do his thing!
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by soloqy: 10:27pm On Nov 21, 2011
tsupilot:

If they really want to help, support African business in improving SEOs, provide Google Ad payment solutions and collaborate with existing platforms to increase their core competencies. At least they still gain from the search and ad services at the end of the day!

Please don't censor my post Nairaland!

At the highlighted part, Nigerian advertisers and merchants are still going through hell trying to get payments for google ads, google checkout still wont work in Nigeria . They should enable those critical areas work then we know for sure that the motives are right. I agree with you on those points.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by soloqy: 2:37pm On Nov 22, 2011
From the FAQ page of the UK version of GNBO called GBBO :

Does this scheme mean I don't need a web designer?

We certainly hope not. Our tool and this initiative are designed for businesses who probably would not otherwise have paid for a website to be built. In fact, this initiative might encourage businesses to employ professional website designers, as they learn more about the role of online business and demand more complex and unique websites.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by ochizo(m): 3:29pm On Nov 22, 2011
The same way America is trying to rule the world is the same way Google is trying to capture the internet world. Only novice would use that platform but the real coders and webmasters would go for something great. GNBO is just a template sitting on google server. I wouldn't use it because it won't be as flexible as I'd want it to be, you would be restricted to alot of things.

Google knows that many are lazy and stingy to spend that's why it was introduced but Nigerian's have forgotten that
If e nobi panadol e no fit be like panadol
. U knw say our Naija pple like free tins.

These people just wants to checkmate everything which is something we don't know.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by moderatorr: 3:56pm On Nov 22, 2011
what is the difference between GNBO and or wordpress?
They are basically saying, 'you fools should create free websites here so we can start running google ads on them! it doesnt matter if we restricted google checkout in your country or not.'

they should give us free/cheapest internet service or free full domain names or gerrout of our boko country!
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by greenmouse(m): 4:12pm On Nov 22, 2011
GNBO only help Nigerian webmasters become famous by marketing what website is to many business owners in Nigeria. Q.E.D
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by maclatunji: 9:17am On Sep 28, 2012
Hello, please has anybody here mastered the art of successfully registering emails on your domain hosted on the GNBO platform?

I have mails registered on http://butson.com.ng but I can't receive mail on them although I can send out mails from those accounts. I would appreciate guidance on how to resolve this if you know.

Thank you.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by Afam4eva(m): 5:35pm On Sep 28, 2012
I noticed this thread is kinda old but i'll add something anyways....

It depends on which perspective you're looking at it from. From the perspective of micro business, it's an opportunity of getting online without spending relatively nothing. But from the perspective of webmasters, especially the ashewo designers, it will really make them to lose loads of jobs to google.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by ilekky(m): 1:19pm On Sep 29, 2012
It is a good idea but sincerely it has created lots of confusion

to web developers and their clients.Many people that are on the gnbo

said you get a free domain name forever and hosting is free.I hope you

can get this but honestly more info should be given to people.
Re: Your Take On Google's Gnbo: Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 14, 2012
Gnbo is totally bleeped up.
The site they're offering is child's play, customer service in Nigeria is hopeless, and they received extra N1500 payment from my account and couldn't let me know. Typical of Nigerians.
Domain name is not free forever as stated by 'Ilekky'
I have a list of faults about them and can't start putting them on this forum, coming from someone that has tried them - stay away from gnbo!!!!

(1) (Reply)

You Can Now Manage Your Files On DATAFILEHOST. COM / Why Do Most Nigerians Use Instead Of The Alternatives? / !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.