Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,458 members, 7,781,315 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:23 PM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (96942 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 02, 2012
What i find incredible is that if something like the agbada is shared between arabs and the yoruba then the igbos will just assume it was created by the arabs, very soon they will assume our legs were created by the arabs.
Such a "black" inferiority complex can not serve the yoruba and certainly can not serve the igbos.
The igbos never were a people, the igbos used to be a collection of seperate villages which were completely independent and never saw themselfs as one people. And in fact the igbos were actually settlers who came from various parts of Africa, including yorubaland and haussaland (before the haussa became mohamedans),
The word Igbo is a Benin word meaning bush people. By the way, there were also many igbo tribes/villages/kingdoms
which were entirely populated of bini people. So actually the igbos are just like the americans, they come from everywhere in Africa (including ethiopia, egypt, etc, ), although they intermarried (by force or not : I doon't know) and therefor developped commonalities, and exchanged a lot with each other which led to a commun language. Now back to the topic, the agba was created by the yorubas who introduced it to the haussa (before islam) who introduced it to touaregs  who introduced it to arabs.
Arabs have never been "great creators" they have always been the type that would copy rather than invent ( e.g: islam is just christianity modified for war purposes, arabic is just Aramaic modified a little bit, all their science was stolen from the greek, etc, ) Face it the one thing I know for a fact is that the arabs have always been the less productif people on earth, they are too occupied killing each other to create things. So face it Yoruba invented aghbada, but the multicultarism of the igbo makes it also an igbo invention.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 11:08pm On Mar 02, 2012
patriot2:

What i find incredible is that if something like the agbada is shared between arabs and the yoruba then the igbos will just assume it was created by the arabs, very soon they will assume our legs were created by the arabs.
Such a "black" inferiority complex can not serve the yoruba and certainly can not serve the igbos.
The igbos never were a people, the igbos used to be a collection of seperate villages which were completely independent and never saw themselfs as one people. And in fact the igbos were actually settlers who came from various parts of Africa, including yorubaland and haussaland (before the haussa became mohamedans),
The word Igbo is a Benin word meaning bush people. By the way, there were also many igbo tribes/villages/kingdoms
which were entirely populated of bini people. So actually the igbos are just like the americans, they come from everywhere in Africa (including ethiopia, egypt, etc, ), although they intermarried (by force or not : I doon't know) and therefor developped commonalities, and exchanged a lot with each other which led to a commun language. Now back to the topic, the agba was created by the yorubas who introduced it to the haussa (before islam) who introduced it to touaregs  who introduced it to arabs.
Arabs have never been "great creators" they have always been the type that would copy rather than invent ( e.g: islam is just christianity modified for war purposes, arabic is just Aramaic modified a little bit, all their science was stolen from the greek, etc, ) Face it the one thing I know for a fact is that the arabs have always been the less productif people on earth, they are too occupied killing each other to create things. So face it Yoruba invented aghbada, but the multicultarism of the igbo makes it also an igbo invention.

shocked
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ObadeleK(m): 11:04am On Jul 12, 2015
aljharem3:
Just to set the records straight, Egusi, Ogbono/apon, are not original igbo foods. Yes the Igbos might have modified it to taste better but did not start from them.

It started with the yorubas in Nigeria and was introduced to the igbos and hausawa.

Edikiong we all know is calabar food

Tuwo shikafa is Hausa and fulani food

Isi ewu is Igbo

Banga soup is Itsekiri

Eba/amala is yoruba food

Pounded yam/Iyan was dated back to the 1700 in the Yagba district present day Kogi

akara and Moi-moi are yoruba foods

jollof rice is Yoruba I don't know of fried which is likly chinese

Jollof rice, as the name indicates originates from the Jolof Empire of Senegal where oryza glaberrima (indigenous African rice) was domesticated. It is still the national dish of Senegal where it is called cebujen.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Probz(m): 5:53pm On Dec 07, 2019

None of those dishes apart from Egusi are found in Yorubaland.
Egusi is also eaten in Ghana, togo and Benin.

So which soup did we acquire from SS/SE again?

So ugu and uziza can’t be found in the SW?

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Twutin: 11:05pm On Dec 16, 2020

You must not rewrite history to suite your narrative.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by bundarina: 6:22pm On Jan 16, 2022
Twutin:

You must not rewrite history to suite your narrative.

He isn't. Meanwhile figure out why igbo doesn't have traditional attire and borrows from Yoruba and Edos traditional attires today.

History repeats itself.

igbos should just behave and dress like the zulus and proudly wear skin instead of culture hopping with a blend of western.

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ChebeNdigboCalm: 4:38pm On Mar 27, 2022
bundarina:

He isn't. Meanwhile figure out why igbo doesn't have traditional attire and borrows from Yoruba and Edos traditional attires today.

History repeats itself.

igbos should just behave and dress like the zulus and proudly wear skin instead of culture hopping with a blend of western.

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 19, 2022
Just accept the fact that the yoruba culture is so influential that other tribes love to emulate them..period!
OneNaira6:

I know you want to turn this into an igbo vs. yoruba bigotry topic so i won't give you that satisfactions and I hope umu ndi-igbo will follow suit when they see this.

Which pain?  you be doctor? Abeg commot face for here,   I see no cultural mixture, all I see is a Yoruba woman trying to steal another man creation and claim as their own with laughable swag. 

Post a cultural mixture and i'll be overjoyed.

Aren't you suppose to have logged off? 

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.