Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill (1414 Views)

Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. / S Africa To Sue Citizens Serving Israel. Military / Mandela Movie Smashes S.africa Box Office Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by aloyemeka4: 4:10am On Nov 22, 2011
[size=14pt]Vote set on controversial S. Africa secrets bill[/size]
By DONNA BRYSON | AP – 12 hrs ago

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — South Africa's parliament prepared Monday for a vote the following day on a state secrets bill that critics within and outside the governing party said would smother freedom of expression and make it harder to fight corruption.
The African National Congress, which holds a majority of parliament's seats, sponsored the bill, making it likely it would become law.
The ANC said South Africa needs to update apartheid-era legislation defining state secrets and imposing penalties for their disclosure. The party bristles at suggestions from critics that its proposal would take the country back to the days of white rule, when the government banned newspapers and punished whistle blowers to stifle criticism of its policies.

FILE - In this Saturday, Sept. 17, 2011 file photo people protest against the Secrets …

Yusuf Abramjee, chairman of South Africa's National Press Club, said it was "a foregone conclusion" the bill would become law, and legal experts from several groups were already preparing to challenge the measure before the Constitutional Court, the country's highest court.
"The bottom line is, our rights under the constitution are being infringed," Abramjee told The Associated Press Monday. He added that journalists planned to wear black to parliament during Tuesday's vote to protest the bill.
In June, the ANC backed down on some of its original proposals, responding to months of criticism from newspaper editors, prominent writers led by Nobel laureate Nadime Gordimer, church groups, freedom of expression lobbyists, business leaders and others. Prominent ANC members also have opposed the bill, among them a former state security minister.
The changes included removing mandatory prison sentences for possessing and publishing secrets — though reporters and others could still be jailed for publishing information that officials want kept secret. The ANC also agreed to limit the power to classify secrets to state security agencies, and proposed that an independent official — a retired judge — review appeals of state security rulings on classified information.

http://news.yahoo.com/vote-set-controversial-africa-secrets-bill-112313848.html
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by paniki(m): 11:59am On Nov 22, 2011
Zuma like pleasing everyone. With that, I think he will send the bill to the Constitutional Court for review before signing it into law.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by RSA(m): 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
Zuma must just sign this bill,I hate this anti black racist media houses that are always negative toward our black goverment.
Racists whites control media in South Africa and their mission is to destroy us through lies,they've made it their business to be anti goverment agency that want to proof that blacks cannot rule succesfully.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by salassie(f): 6:30pm On Nov 22, 2011
RSA:

Zuma must just sign this bill,I hate this anti black racist media houses that are always negative toward our black goverment.
Racists whites control media in South Africa and their mission is to destroy us through lies,they've made it their business to be anti goverment agency that want to proof that blacks cannot rule succesfully.

RSA, have you not seen that most of the people protesting this bill are black? This isn’t a racial thing. It’s not “anti government” either. It’s the media’s job to criticize the government. This is true the world over. Look at how the US mainstream media has let down the public. Think back to the old days here and how lack of media freedom damaged this country.

They can’t destroy anyone with lies if you have the truth on your side. What is this “black government” stuff anyway? They aren’t the “black government”. They’re the South African government. Period.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by aloyemeka1: 4:16am On Nov 23, 2011
When are we gonna vote Zuma out for a better leader who will be smart enough to know that one cannot avoid HIV by taking a shower after intercourse. Vote Buhari for South African president.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by paniki(m): 9:10am On Nov 23, 2011
lol
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by paniki(m): 9:11am On Nov 23, 2011
lol
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by paniki(m): 9:23am On Nov 23, 2011
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by paniki(m): 11:08am On Nov 23, 2011
aloy/emeka:

When are we gonna vote Zuma out for a better leader who will be smart enough to know that one cannot avoid HIV by taking a shower after intercourse. Vote Buhari for South African president.

big lol
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by justwise(m): 11:14am On Nov 23, 2011
RSA:

Are you for real? A good number of pple protesting against this bill are blacks. Playing race card wouldn't help us as Africans when we blindly support our govts even when they are taking us 10yrs backwards.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by AfroBlue(m): 8:13pm On Nov 24, 2011
White Luciferians Still Run South Africa

http://www.henrymakow.com/luciferian_whites_still_hold_p.html

by Roger Bell

" A Freedom of Information Bill (read Secrecy Bill) is therefore being voted on today in our parliament and is being pushed through by the ANC majority, likely at [President] Zuma's instruction. He has been fooled by the Luciferians into believing the ANC needs the bill to protect the country against foreign spies / security threats. I suspect they have also told him he needs it to give him a second four-year term in office.

Garbage. Other than CIA / Zionism, we have no natural enemies. The re-colonization of Africa by the Zionist / Mossad / CIA / USA is underway and going strongly. Now that Zuma has been duped and has bought into the Secrecy bill, Kasrils plays the shill again and decries said bill, a watered down version of one he himself originally introduced! The Luciferian chutzpah astounds me."
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by salassie(f): 10:10pm On Nov 24, 2011
Afro_Blue, grin why you giving a link to an article on an anti-women website?!

I find what this guy wrote insulting and ignorant. Using words like “fooled” and “duped” when talking about President Zuma is almost amusing. He is a good strategist and how someone can think that he can be fooled into signing this bill is beyond me. I don’t agree with the secrecy bill, but to say the President has been “duped” is ridiculous. I would be LOL if it weren't such a serious matter.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by salassie(f): 10:44pm On Nov 24, 2011
Afro_Blue:
I suspect they have also told him he needs it to give him a second four-year term in office.

WRONG Roger Bell. It's 5 years.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by paniki(m): 10:53pm On Nov 24, 2011
sa_lassie:

WRONG Roger Bell. It's 5 years.

WRONG Roger Bell. The census budget was not 6 billion nor did StatsSA tender the project. It was done inhouse.

www.statssa.gov.za/census2011/fact_box.asp

www.businessday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=155087
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by AfroBlue(m): 11:39pm On Nov 24, 2011
sa_lassie:

Afro_Blue,  grin why you giving a link to an article on an anti-women website?!

I find what this guy wrote insulting and ignorant.  Using words like “fooled” and “duped” when talking about President Zuma is almost amusing.  He is a good strategist and how someone can think that he can be fooled into signing this bill is beyond me.  I don’t agree with the secrecy bill, but to say the President has been “duped” is ridiculous.  I would be LOL if it weren't such a serious matter.

I think the site is anti-feminist, not anti-women. Many of the themes are related to how certain powers that be have geared modern society to put women in the workplace instead of doing traditional roles of staying home and home making and raising kids. Wouldn't you prefer that role instead of putting in 20 hour work days?

Another question, how many wives and concubine does President Zuma have?

The Devil's Work: Feminism and the Elite Depopulation Agenda

http://www.henrymakow.com/200202.html
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by aloyemeka1: 1:45am On Nov 25, 2011
sa_lassie:

Afro_Blue,  grin why you giving a link to an article on an anti-women website?!

I find what this guy wrote insulting and ignorant.  Using words like “fooled” and “duped” when talking about President Zuma is almost amusing.  He is a good strategist and how someone can think that he can be fooled into signing this bill is beyond me.  I don’t agree with the secrecy bill, but to say the President has been “duped” is ridiculous.  I would be LOL if it weren't such a serious matter.

Zuma is the dumbest president in the whole world. Khai, how can South Africans put their faith on a man who spends 20 hours a day chasing new brides instead of governing?.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by salassie(f): 7:20pm On Nov 25, 2011
paniki:
WRONG Roger Bell. The census budget was not 6 billion nor did StatsSA tender the project. It was done inhouse.

Yup. This guy has no credibility. Can’t even get basic facts straight.

aloy/emeka:
Zuma is the dumbest president in the whole world.

You underestimate the President. People keep doing that and he keeps outsmarting them. You know, like what’s his name and that other guy did . . .

aloy/emeka:
Khai, how can South Africans put their faith on a man who spends 20 hours a day chasing new brides instead of governing?.

He multitasks

Afro_Blue:
Another question, how many wives and concubine does President Zuma have?

That’s their business. I don’t even think about it anymore.
Re: Vote Set On Controversial S. Africa secrets bill by salassie(f): 7:23pm On Nov 25, 2011
Afro_Blue:
I think the site is anti-feminist, not anti-women. Many of the themes are related to how certain powers that be have geared modern society to put women in the workplace instead of doing traditional roles of staying home and home making and raising kids. Wouldn't you prefer that role instead of putting in 20 hour work days?

Afro_Blue, I made the decision a long time ago not to go that route in life. Not that I have anything against women who chose a more traditional life. One thing I have against the feminist movement is that it tells women that they should be doing it all and makes them feel guilty when they can't/don’t. Women should be free to have careers or be homemakers. Societies that suppress their women fail to advance. Do you know that a lot of these kind of guys are also supremacist? If they aren’t crying about such or such a race taking their jobs, they are complaining about women doing it. Maybe there is a better thread to discuss this.

(1) (Reply)

Real Maker Of Controversial Film "Innocence Of The Muslims" Is A Former Criminal / Checkout The World's Most Terrifying Bridges / Putin Warns US With New Missiles Aimee At Western Capitals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.