Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,175 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? (5492 Views)

Poll: Ready for a revolution?

Yes: 60% (14 votes)
Hell No: 39% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

The Worst Will Happen If Saraki Is Removed — Baraje / #100wasteddays Trending As Nigerians Take To Twitter To Review President Buhari. / Fuel Subsidy Is A Lie – Prof David West (MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Jcob(m): 7:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
Was chatting with some colleagues an hour ago and we seemed not to be on the same page. The bone of contention being that what will happen if the fuel subsidy is removed?

Some insisted that Nigerians won't take it lightly with GEJ, as that could be the end of his tenure. They believe We are already pushed to the wall and any extra push could lead to a revolution.

I bluntly told them any revolution will never happen in Nigeria, not this generation. We so much love our lives that we would rather sit down at the system facebooking and tweeting about the indecencies in governance to taking to the street like the Egyptians, Libyans etc

What do you guys think? Are you ready to be part of such a revolution or will you just sit at home . ,  ,  ,  ,  . .
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by egift(m): 8:04pm On Nov 22, 2011
I tell you if Nigerians get to pay N145 per litre next year. And every commodity also double and triple in price, the first set of people that will hit the street are the "22 million" voters of April 2011 that are hunting for Fresh Air in PDP.

For myself, we have done it repeatedly - ask Yar' Adua or Even Samson Siasia (there comes a time to leave)

www.nairaland.com/attachments/402648_if_it_comes_to_this_jpg0608f0b57a6772a016e668b8c009ad5f
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Rhino5dm: 8:22pm On Nov 22, 2011
^
Let the moorons suffer. They voted for GEJ not PDP. God forbid me protesting with moorons, sadly for them Retardinho is gonna stick around for couple of years grin.

I can conveniently buy fuel @ 500 to 800 naira/litre. cheesy cheesy cool

So. . .let the OP enjoy his portion of fresh air.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by muyoto: 8:24pm On Nov 22, 2011
take to the streets?

NIGERIANS?

I laff in anything laffable.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by nku5: 8:29pm On Nov 22, 2011
Personally I am against any violent form of protest for change. I just pray that if it happens, nigerians can for once sit their a.sses at home and paralyse the economy for a month. The problem is that nigerians have serious morale deficiency problems. Once hunger bite them small they'll go running back to work/shop.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Blackteeth(m): 8:43pm On Nov 22, 2011
If Nigerians don't revolt, that will further embolden our leaders to act more stupidly.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Babamide(m): 8:50pm On Nov 22, 2011
The very worst that could happen is labour going on an indefinite strike, fuel price reduced to about #1oo and everybody goes back to work happy. Some of the countries where the revolution occur are not as bad as Nigeria is today. I just hope we learn from this present mistake called Jonathan
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by egift(m): 11:21pm On Nov 22, 2011
Babamide:

The very worst that could happen is labour going on an indefinite strike, fuel price reduced to about #1oo and everybody goes back to work happy. Some of the countries where the revolution occur are not as bad as Nigeria is today. I just hope we learn from this present mistake called Jonathan

+100
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by manmustwac(m): 12:13am On Nov 23, 2011
Why should Nigerians take to the streets when its a lot easier to just pray.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by obowunmi(m): 1:16am On Nov 23, 2011
Nigeria is in an extremely sad state.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Kobojunkie: 1:19am On Nov 23, 2011
muyoto:

take to the streets?

NIGERIANS?

I laff in anything laffable.

make i follow you laugh o'jare!
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by obowunmi(m): 6:53am On Nov 23, 2011
Nigerians are very passive people. Passive,
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by bkbabe97y(m): 6:59am On Nov 23, 2011
nku5:

Personally I am against any violent form of protest for change. I just pray that if it happens, nigerians can for once[b] sit their a.sses at home and paralyse the economy for a month[/b]. The problem is that nigerians have serious morale deficiency problems. Once hunger bite them small they'll go running back to work/shop.

Read this post and tell me this is not the mindset of the average Nigerian (at least the ones Ive encountered). Now tell me theres any hope that things'll change in ur country.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 23, 2011
Do you wanna protest for something of your own good? How informed are you about the fuel subsidy? Are you protesting because of policy you dont understand or are protesting because of corruption and subsequent misrule? Did you open this thread to debate about subsidy removal or about revolution?
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Knight1(m): 7:36am On Nov 23, 2011
revolution? nah!!!!!!!
occupy protests? very possible
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:44am On Nov 23, 2011
!

I laugh in Kobojunkie  grin
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by gigabytes: 9:50am On Nov 23, 2011
We may not take to to street, we should be wise. Sit at home protest is still the best. There should be website where we all add our names email and phone number. We can collect 20 million names and issue instructions for everyone to sit at home.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 9:54am On Nov 23, 2011
As if that will help matters
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 23, 2011
i am a good citizen of Nigeria and i must surely protest against bad goverment yes  On Nairaland, Facebook, twitter with my laptop changing my ip ,  tongue
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:56am On Nov 23, 2011
@poster - even the slightest injustice can spark a revolution in other countries - Nigerians do not have the conviction to defend their civil liberties because they never had them in the first place. from the first day of Independence till date Nigerians have been tossed back and forth by Political immaturity, Greed, Corruption, Religious conflicts, Insecurity and Economic buffoonery. The only fortunate thing in Nigeria is that few will rise above these challenges and find a way to live better lives outside the constitutionally documented provisions the Federal Government is meant to deliver - Steady Light, Water, Food, Health, Education, Housing, Security. the listed have been responsible for some of the most drastic revolutions till date. Nigerians simply smile through the suffering. come 2015 majority will still come out in the streets to vote "Their Man" for a Bag of Rice or N200 (for the next 4 years). We have only 1 future and that is separation. At least if Tinubu becomes president of the Oduduwa Nation - Yoruba's can kill him if he tries to steal without the Hausa's or Niger-Deltans giving a hoot.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 23, 2011
gigabytes:

We may not take to to street, we should be wise. Sit at home protest is still the best. There should be website where we all add our names email and phone number. We can collect 20 million names and issue instructions for everyone to sit at home.

undecidedThings like that don't work in Nigeria, how can you instruct a hungry man to sit at home?
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Parisgoodman(m): 10:05am On Nov 23, 2011
@OP, Nigerians wont take it 2 the streets because:
1) we are not one.
2)too tribal.
3)language barrier.
4)claim 2 be religious(hypocrites)
5)traitors.
6)racism.
if anybody says Nigeria is one, that person is a BIG FAT LIAR. Take for example, if you are looking for work outside your home, the first silly question is: where are u from? Your state of origin.
we are too tribal, i'm sure you know what i'm saying.
hmm, language matters alot to the average Nigerian. If u'r igbo and the next person is not igbo, then he's not your brother.
even in among the protestant churches, there is still diversity. Most of them are formed base on a particular chapter or verse from the bible, eg: MFM, WINNERS ETC(NO OFFENCE). So u see that when there's no oneness nothing of co-operation will ever happen.
Nigerians are hell of traitors. Who knows if Judas is from here, they know how 2 betray their fellow.(biafra stories can tell u more)
racism? We all know.
so, OP since we have all this problem there wont be a revolution. The Musa, chinedu and kolas wont agree with each other, Musa wont leave his suya or gate to come to street neither chinedu will leave his spare parts shop nor kola will stop his yahoo, NEVER!
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by crackhouse(m): 10:09am On Nov 23, 2011
Nigerians are living cowards. They don't have the guts, poverty have crippled them.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by lafuria1(m): 10:10am On Nov 23, 2011
i dont think so. One of d highest religious body in d country dat could help have even endorse d removal of fuel subsidy. Frankly and sadly speakin nothin go happen.
Dont also 4get dat d nigeria politicians are gud in hijackin d proces by injectin tribal and religious sentiment into thereby losin its goal.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 23, 2011
crackhouse:

Nigerians are living cowards. They don't have the guts, poverty have crippled them.

na lie , not all Nigerians * SOME*
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by sheyguy: 10:16am On Nov 23, 2011
I will surely hit the street to stock the so called fuel cos when the strike of a thing is over and ur lazy azzez are down u will end up buying the same fuel for N200/litre (at least for a start).

Parisgoodman:

@OP, Nigerians wont take it 2 the streets because:
1) we are not one.
2)too tribal.
3)language barrier.
4)claim 2 be religious(hypocrites)
5)traitors.
6)racism.
       if anybody says Nigeria is one, that person is a BIG FAT LIAR. Take for example, if you are looking for work outside your home, the first silly question is: where are u from? Your state of origin.
      we are too tribal, i'm sure you know what i'm saying.
      hmm, language matters alot to the average Nigerian. If u'r igbo and the next person is not igbo, then he's not your brother.
      even in among the protestant churches, there is still diversity. Most of them are formed base on a particular chapter or verse from the bible, eg: MFM, WINNERS ETC(NO OFFENCE). So u see that when there's no oneness nothing of co-operation will ever happen.
       Nigerians are hell of traitors. Who knows if Judas is from here, they know how 2 betray their fellow.(biafra stories can tell u more)
      racism? We all know.
      so, OP since we have all this problem there wont be a revolution. The Musa, chinedu and kolas wont agree with each other, Musa wont leave his suya or gate to come to street neither chinedu will leave his spare parts shop nor kola will stop his yahoo, NEVER!

U must be kidding, Nobody betray biafra, instead u guys tried to snatch power and when it failed and backfired(Pogrom) u guys tried to run away by acting out the joke of the century in Biafra. Brave up man and take responsibility. you don't move/drive a car forward by looking back anyone trying such like u just did is an accident waiting to happen.
can we get back to topic pls
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by IrunmoleD1: 10:17am On Nov 23, 2011
Fellow Nairalanders, I think we have a platform where we can discuss and stategize on ways to put the rulling elites on their toes at all time. The London rioters used tweeter to mobilized, even though it is for looting purpose. We have naira land. I believe we have enough "crazy" people on the thread to atleast do something to get the rulling class attention.

If the government eventually removes the subsidy which they are bent on doing anyway, people especially the working class should drive their cars to thirdmainland bridge, eko bridge, ikorodu road, mobolaji bank anthony way, lekki expressway and any major road and park their cars there! Imagine what it will be like having 1000 cars on both lanes of thierd mainland bridge for 1 month!

I expect nairalanders to come up with ideas like this instead of seeing this topic as a joke! We have all the tools to mobilize. I believe the rulling class will no longer be at ease if all major cities in Nigeria follow suit.

We can mobilize via Nairaland, facebook, tweeter even blackberry!!

Those in government needs to feel some pains too!!
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:25am On Nov 23, 2011
IrunmoleD1:

Fellow Nairalanders, I think we have a platform where we can discuss and stategize on ways to put the rulling elites on their toes at all time. The London rioters used tweeter to mobilized, even though it is for looting purpose. We have naira land. I believe we have enough "crazy" people on the thread to atleast do something to get the rulling class attention.

If the government eventually removes the subsidy which they are bent on doing anyway, people especially the working class should drive their cars to thirdmainland bridge, eko bridge, ikorodu road, mobolaji bank anthony way, lekki expressway and any major road and park their cars there! Imagine what it will be like having 1000 cars on both lanes of thierd mainland bridge for 1 month!

I expect nairalanders to come up with ideas like this instead of seeing this topic as a joke! We have all the tools to mobilize. I believe the rulling class will no longer be at ease if all major cities in Nigeria follow suit.

This can only happen when people feel they are part of the country - Most Nigerians feel like tenants in their own country - so why should they giveafuck. they are not even empowered to act - like Fela said, dem no wan die - papa dey for house - mama dey for house.

Nigerians who have died in the course of sparking a revolution are gone with the Wind -TAI Solarin, Dele Giwa, Ken-Saro WIwa we all act as if they died for nothing
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by gigabytes: 10:26am On Nov 23, 2011
@IrunmoleD You have spoken right.
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Parisgoodman(m): 10:27am On Nov 23, 2011
IrunmoleD1:

U know it will take time, but lets start it first on the internet, with time it will grow when the common Nigerian have gotten it. If u can create a page on facebook let me know, lets get it started!
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by Jcob(m): 10:33am On Nov 23, 2011
*subscribing*

Let's get it started here.

FB page
Twitter Handle . . . . . . . .
Re: Will Nigerians Take To The Street If Fuel Subsidy Is Removed? Revolution? by moderatorr: 10:37am On Nov 23, 2011
first they tried to generate recursive bloody massacre across the north with almajiri-youth copper bloody mob action,
it failed!
Then they tried paralising the nation's security apparatus by boko haram-police attacks, it failed!
They tried to generate reprisal attacks accross the country by burning churches and massacerring christians, it failed.
Now they want to paralise a healing economy  by generating mass protests accross the country, guess what? It will fail!
We are not as illducated and as religiolunatic as you.
If the president gives us enough reason and money back guarrantee as promised we will accept it.
If not, the law makers will tell him what they already did - 'mr. President , convience us'.
If you start brainless protests, we will meet you on the streets and show you what russian anti man-lover protests looked like.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Protesters Shut-down Governor’s Office In Abeokuta / Remembering The Poor Of The World / Pictures & Updates On Gen Okechukwu Buhari's Visit To Imo State Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.