Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,224 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria (8532 Views)

Shoprite To Open 14 New Stores In Nigeria / List Of All Online Stores In Nigeria / Online Stores In Nigeria: What Is Your Experience? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by 4real(m): 2:05pm On Nov 23, 2011
For someone who lives in the uk I do most of my shopping online, it's estimated that £7.2 billion dollars will be spent in just 5 weeks running to Christmas and after with about 350 in the uk, why is it that our online markets in Nigeria don't work, I see then start everyday and yet they don't stay long, so why won't people buy online in Nigeria
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by DisGuy: 5:10pm On Nov 23, 2011
Average income c

onsiderably low internet penetration

poor customer service

poor infrastructure/postage services

ridiculously expensive some everyday items

lack of trust

traditional shopping channels

electrophobia grin
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by Nairaplus(m): 6:33am On Nov 24, 2011
Dis Guy:

Average income c

onsiderably low internet penetration

poor customer service

poor infrastructure/postage services

ridiculously expensive some everyday items

lack of trust

traditional shopping channels

electrophobia grin
PHCN is 50 percent of the cause. The others are as mentioned above.
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 5:15pm On Nov 24, 2011
No power, No good road for delivery, No security . . . . . No Trust
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by passionate88: 5:25pm On Nov 24, 2011
Lack of trust, poor internet network, Fraudulent sellers,
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 5:26pm On Nov 24, 2011
If you're gonna engage in e-commerce, have you thought about the infrastructure involved in it? Cyber security/safe shopping, to logistics and shipping. NIPOST isn't reliable so how do u expect someone from Abuja to order an item based in Lagos and expect they get it within 72hrs?

1 Like

Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by lurkee(f): 5:27pm On Nov 24, 2011
Fhemmmy:

No power, No good road for delivery, No security . . . . . No Trust

This is the big issue. I would be very worried if I entered my card details on a Nigerian site because I do not think the guarantee is there from the banks that there would be a refund if something went wrong. Until a paypal-like system is operational in Nigeria where you can transfer money to a reputable company who then pays on your behalf with no direct access to your personal bank account, then most people would keep staying away. In my opinion.
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by lighternote: 5:33pm On Nov 24, 2011
when power n internet issues r solved,d online purchase method I employ in Nigeria is divine"pay on delivery". chikena! That's my own way of solving security/trust issues.
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:40pm On Nov 24, 2011
Lolz, thats the trust issue part
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by CHIMSKY(m): 5:41pm On Nov 24, 2011
For me the major problem is trust!!!!
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by sexymusic: 5:50pm On Nov 24, 2011
because we dey fea yahooyahoo
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by lurkee(f): 5:50pm On Nov 24, 2011
lighternote:

when power n internet issues r solved,d online purchase method I employ in Nigeria is divine"pay on delivery". chikena! That's my own way of solving security/trust issues.

LOL grin That would work out well for the customer but think about the business owner.

Imagine spending money to deliver items and people have forgotten to wait for it/no longer interested/not impressed with the quality and countless other reasons that might stop them from paying on delivery. That would hurt any start up business. Also the business would lose out on impulse buyers.  
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by Ibuyooluwa(m): 5:51pm On Nov 24, 2011
I think the reason for this is that an average Naija man is not adventurous. Many still can't comprehend  the idea of one doing business on the net from the corner of his room. You should be out there on the street sweating it out , before you will be taking serious. That is what doing business is all about to an average  Naija man. We need to encourage people to explore the great potential the internet world has to offer. Once people become knowledgeable about the power and the reality of doing legal and legitimate businesses on the internet , the fear of being defrauded as a result of doing business with someone they cannot see will be a thing of the past.

NA so I Fell oooooo,  but you fit contact me for sharon@wealthandriches.net
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by Bestglo(f): 5:53pm On Nov 24, 2011
passionate88:

Lack of trust, poor internet network, Fraudulent sellers,
well said
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by godman01(m): 6:04pm On Nov 24, 2011
There's too much fake and scams in nigeria, but we are getting there, its all about time.
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by Olalekan0(m): 6:10pm On Nov 24, 2011
No man of nigerian origin can be trusted on the internet,Sometimes what you see on their shelves differs from what they eventually deliver to you,though i still purchase some items on-line, but i can't buy anything more than 50k unless am allowed to make payments upon delivery!
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by fyomer: 6:16pm On Nov 24, 2011
A friend of mine who based abroad has introduced so many online busineses to me,but i always get discouraged,cause for me the fear that it wont work is always there especially here in Nigeria.The mastercard,paypal stuff get me more confused.PLS ADVICE ME .
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 24, 2011

1 Like

Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by moderatorr: 7:10pm On Nov 24, 2011
minimum wage in nigeria is still N18 000.
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by flyuche(m): 7:54pm On Nov 24, 2011
manny4life:

If you're gonna engage in e-commerce, have you thought about the infrastructure involved in it? Cyber security/safe shopping, to logistics and shipping. NIPOST isn't reliable so how do u expect someone from Abuja to order an item based in Lagos and expect they get it within 72hrs?

NIPOST  is very  reliable. The only federal agency that works!
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by phrankar(f): 8:25pm On Nov 24, 2011
see kweshun ooooo, omo!! D fear of yahoo-yahoo is d begining of wisdom. I go carry my ikebe go yaba go see and buy wetin i like.chikena! tongue
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 24, 2011
phrankar:

see kweshun ooooo, omo!! D fear of yahoo-yahoo is d begining of wisdom. I go carry my ikebe go yaba go see and buy wetin i like.chikena! tongue

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by kanor: 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2011
It depends on what need to be purchased online!

Things like TV, CARS, Generators and some supermarket stuffs will take time to be sold online. Not everything can be bought online at the begining.

For me, I have been buying most of my books online. There are a lot of professional books I need I cannot find in physical shops on the street.
I have severally patronized the nigerian online store called walahi.com (www.walahi.com). The delivery time is okay.

I also bought some books from the closed south african kalahari, but their delivery time was too long.

I have sticked with the walahi guys.

Other things that I think i can buy online could be music and video cds and software downloads. So, successful online business can be based on this.
For physical heavy stuffs like food, furniture, etc, it will take some time.
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 9:06pm On Nov 24, 2011
Trust Trust Trust

That's the keyword. I don't thnk anyone will want put their credit card information on a faceless website.
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by moshoodn(m): 10:02pm On Nov 24, 2011
Trust trust trust. . . An average naija guy is you know. . . . Well, still trust issue sha
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by YoungBrain: 10:09pm On Nov 24, 2011
Nigerians love to haggle prices with the seller
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by eghost247(m): 11:11pm On Nov 24, 2011
nipost is not reliable netiehr is phcn so many reasons
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by slimyem: 11:41pm On Nov 24, 2011
afam4eva:

Trust Trust Trust

That's the keyword. I don't thnk anyone will want put their credit card information on a faceless website.  
YoungBrain:

Nigerians love to haggle prices with the seller
strong points!!!
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by DisGuy: 2:05am On Nov 25, 2011
the irony

Nigerians yearn for online shopping/business yet frown at cashless 'cash lite' economy
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by jeffiejay(m): 5:18am On Nov 25, 2011
That reminds me. Who knows the website to the Nigerian online store "Veni vici"?
Re: Why Won't People Use The Online Stores In Nigeria by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:57am On Nov 25, 2011
Most Nigerians love to take advantage of innocent who are trying to do good.

I bet they wont run away with money and goods.

The last time i bought washing machine from THE GAME it wasn`t working at first.

I called the customer service more than 2 times daily and yet still it took them 6 weeks before they could send someone down to fix it for me.

That was after i threaten them with Police and Lawyer

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Soars Above $93, Nigeria’s Revenue Prospects Brighten / Etisalat Loan: 10 Banks’ Provision For Loans Loss Rises By 3% / Firm Demands N200m From OAU For 1982 Building Contract

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.