Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage (908 Views)

MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers / Rivers Residents Express Mixed Reactions To Tribunal’s Sack Of Governor Wike / Senators Express Mixed Reactions Over Pay Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by EzeUche(m): 7:38pm On Nov 23, 2011
Abia workers express mixed feelings over Orji’s ₦20,100 minimum wage

November 23, 2011 05:40PM

The approval of ₦20,100 minimum wage for workers in Abia civil service by Governor Theodore Orji has elicited mixed reactions from a cross section of workers.

State government officials and labour leaders had on Tuesday in Umuahia signed the minimum wage agreement.

The statement revealed that implementation would start from December 1, payable from January, while the arrears effective from April 1 would be spread over a period of 12 months.

It will be recalled that Abia was the only state in the South East were workers did not embark on strike to demand the implementation of the new wage.

Sylvester Eyeh, chairman, Abia chapter of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) said that the signing of the agreement was a landmark achievement by labour after months of painstaking negotiation.

While some workers applauded government, others expressed scepticism on the genuineness of the agreement.

A worker, who pleaded anonymity, said that it was too early to celebrate until the agreement table was made public.

“I don’t have anything to be happy for until I see the table,” the worker said.

The worker described some government gestures to workers as ‘Greek gift’, which government gave with one hand and took back with the other.

The worker urged workers to resist any form of ‘Abia formula’ which the source said characterised monetary relations between government and workers in the state.

The worker cited an example where the state governor promoted some workers to the next grade level shortly after he was sworn in as governor in 2007.

“This promotion was only in principle as it did not affect our salaries. The salary I earned in my last level was even higher than what I earn now,” the worker said.

Tina Ikwuegbu said that it was a thing of joy that the minimum wage had been signed in the state as in adjoining states.

“I am also happy that the governor exceeded the ₦18,000 minimum wage and my expectation is that the increment will cut across all grade levels.

“We wouldn’t want a situation where there would be a certain formula for some categories of workers because we all have our responsibilities,” Mrs Ikwuegbu said.

James Agbai said that the gesture had shown that the state government was sincere and had the interest of the workers at heart.

“We believe that having signed the agreement, that it will be a sincere and transparent one,” Agbai said.

Chibuzor Maduka urged the state government to take the issue of implementation of the new wage seriously, as well as to be sincere in the payment of the arrears.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5748448-146/abia_workers_express_mixed_feelings_over.csp

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=KyB9rsNfV7Nfzs8dQhPVRi6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxSkAidP5tBVxo3nAE6L279MnW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by EzeUche(m): 7:38pm On Nov 23, 2011
Kudos to T.A. Orji if this is true. We will all know the truth by Dec. 1.
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by ak47mann(m): 7:51pm On Nov 23, 2011
kudos wink
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by Sunofgod(m): 7:58pm On Nov 23, 2011
A couple of questions . . . ,

How many people were sacked and how many were recruited in their place?

Will any arrears owed to the sacked workers be payed?
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by EzeUche(m): 7:59pm On Nov 23, 2011
^^^

Abians do not care. I see nothing wrong with the indigenization of state civil service workers, EXCEPT for teachers and doctors.
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by Sunofgod(m): 8:10pm On Nov 23, 2011
EzeUche:

^^^

Abians do not care. I see nothing wrong with the indigenization of state civil service workers, EXCEPT for teachers and doctors.

I wasn't too bothered either - Until I learnt two of my aunties have lost their jobs.

His actions leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

What if other SE Governors copy him - it will breed hatred amongst our people which would be so so tragic.

I'm greatful they haven't but T.A Orji has no doubt created problems and hardship for many people.

I'm not a fan of the man or his policies. I see his latest actions as no more than a form of deception.
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by thejurist: 11:59pm On Nov 23, 2011
why the doubts? lets hope the people get their needs right with the money they earn. our civil servants should be more productive otherwise the minimum wage will be revisited.
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by ulonnaya21: 10:48am On Nov 24, 2011
Abia workers, this is a wake up call for you. As you will be expected to put in your best in discharging your duties. There's no cause for alarm, the Governor is doing his best to make things well for all Abians.
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by Relax101(m): 6:29pm On Nov 24, 2011
T. A Orjiremains the most silly governor ever manufactured by Nigeria democracy.
Re: Abia Workers Express Mixed Feelings Over Orji’s ₦20,100 Minimum Wage by EzeUche(m): 6:33pm On Nov 24, 2011
Sun of god:

I wasn't too bothered either - Until I learnt two of my aunties have lost their jobs.

His actions leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

What if other SE Governors copy him - it will breed hatred amongst our people which would be so so tragic.

I'm greatful they haven't but T.A Orji has no doubt created problems and hardship for many people.

I'm not a fan of the man or his policies. I see his latest actions as no more than a form of deception.

This is not the first time an Igbo governor has done this. We all know that Enugu started it.

My very own auntie was forced to leave Enugu because of such policies. When she returned to the village, our kinsmen thought she was on holiday, but we did not find out the truth until a couple of months later when she died. Many still believe because she had lost her job in Enugu.

(1) (Reply)

Hamza Al-mustapha, Shofolahan Get Death Sentences / Boko Haram kingpin Qaqa, buckles under interrogation, sings like a bird to SSS / Rig Explosion And Fire At Ks Endeavour Rig In Southern Ijaw L.g.a

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.