Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread - Car Talk (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread (209746 Views)

Comparing Some Honda, Toyota, Nissan And Volkswagen Cars / Is The Audi A6 A Good Car To Buy? / Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (57) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by ukandi1(m): 6:07am On Dec 29, 2013
i am not sure but suggest that u shud get a bigger radiator. It may stil be radiator wahala.. Its either too small or does not have d required no of cells to match d engine. Normal overheating is caused by fan, radiator or top..
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Elmak(m): 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2014
Good day Siena,

Seasons greetings, Trust work and the family are fine.

I need your professional advice, i am looking to buy a 2004 Audi A6 C6 2.4l V6, However, I am not sure about the car reliability and performance, even though my mechanics first advice was that the parts are expensive, but for a well-designed car not too common in Nigeria like that I expect that.

Siena, my question go thus:

i. Is the car good and reliable?

ii. What are the maintenance tips you can advise and where can I get the manual for the car.

Thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Seguneji(m): 2:18am On Jan 05, 2014
Oga siena, well done for the good job u r doing on this thread, pls I need a user manual for a vw golf 2.0 1998. How can u help me pls.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by redcliff: 1:04am On Jan 06, 2014
Elmak: Good day Siena,

Seasons greetings, Trust work and the family are fine.

I need your professional advice, i am looking to buy a 2004 Audi A6 C6 2.4l V6, However, I am not sure about the car reliability and performance, even though my mechanics first advice was that the parts are expensive, but for a well-designed car not too common in Nigeria like that I expect that.

Siena, my question go thus:

i. Is the car good and reliable?

ii. What are the maintenance tips you can advise and where can I get the manual for the car.

Thanks

redcliff:

I dont have a particular model in mind. Maybe 03 or so. Wanna get it for my mother. Im definitely not going for anything v6. I ve started putting my eyes on the s3 as it has alot more prestige than the a3.

Hey siena, how is it going? I was thinking, whats the reliability of audi a6 1999 model. I think I am begining to like it and its seems to be cheaper than the a3 or am i not seeing well. I am seeing good deals for it here in Schweiz. Are they all V6 engines? what up with parts also? is it an expensive car to maintain? Thanks..

Siena:

Hey bud!

All's well with me and mine.

The '99 Audi A6 C5 is reliable enough. It's mechanically similar to the Audi A4 and Volkswagen Passat, just bigger. Automatics can fail, manuals are very robust.

Brand new, the A6 is a lot more expensive than the A3, but depreciates faster. So a 7-year-old A6 could be bought for the same (or less) money than an A3 of the same year. I prefer the A6 though, medium-size hatchbacks with transverse engines don't appeal to me in the slightest.

The Audi A6 C5 is available with I4, V6 and V8 gasoline engines, or I4 and V6 diesels. If it's a Quattro, the I4 isn't an option, leaving you with V6 or V8 engines. No great loss, the 1.8T is a slug in a car as heavy as the A6 anyway.

Parts are readily available, and maintenance is not expensive. At least, you're not in Nigeria. The most expensive single item that is prone to failure is the ZF automatic / tiptronic transmission. The rest is built to last

Lol. I actually plan to ship it home o and the one i saw is manual. I like manual cars but my friends are asking me what kind of person i am. Actually, when i got my first car, Mk3 from switzerland, I was in a hurry to just get any transmission and the manual was readily available at the time and I had a hard time getting used to it but when I did, It was a blessing. Lol. Since i would be getting it or my mother, maybe I should still stick with the auto although I am sure she wont mind also but I want it to be a surprise until the vehicle is in our compound. This ZF automatic/tiptronic transmission bla bla, I would google it up to know more about it. She's not an everyday driver so I don't think it would spoil quickly in her possession.

If you makeup your mind on an a6, come join me here. I would give you the best deals.
https://www.nairaland.com/1546695/pre-order-auto-germany-switzerland
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by HenriettaTee: 5:55pm On Jan 08, 2014
Good Day Siena and Happy New year, my car has been doing fine, but recently I observed power steering oil drops in my compound, took it to the mechanic and they said it was the hose had a leakage. They changed the hose, the leakage stopped but, the steering was very tight when engine is idling and goes very free when revving the engine or when in motion depending on engine rev, so they said I have to change the power steering pump that it is weak, which they changed today (08/01/2013), everything was fine initially, but they took the car for washing to clean the oil stains, getting back they said the steering is tight again that the pump has failed but they would return it and bring another. I am getting ..........., please advise on what you think might be wrong. My worry is that this was same issue we had after changing the hose and they said my pump was bad.

1) Audi
02) A6 Avant 5V Turbo
03) 1.8L 4 cylinder, 20 Valve
04) Manual
05) 2000
06) Euro
07) Front Wheel Drive
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by egesie(m): 9:17pm On Jul 05, 2014
Siena, please I need your help..my boot won't open...dunno what to do. VW Passat B5 1.8T 1998
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
egesie: Siena, please I need your help..my boot won't open...dunno what to do. VW Passat B5 1.8T 1998

1998, so pre-facelift.

Have you tried using the key, as opposed to relying on the Central Locking?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by egesie(m): 10:50pm On Jul 05, 2014
Siena:

1998, so pre-facelift.

Have you tried using the key, as opposed to relying on the Central Locking?
Still not opening
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by deltree(m): 11:19am On Jul 07, 2014
Is there a way to make my factory fitted RNS 315 unit in my Volkswagen CC (2012) work here in Nigeria.
Is there some work around or tweak or is it toast when used here?

Mr. Sienna, I remember we spoke about some octane boosters before the nairaland blackout. What's the procedure in getting those, usage, delivery etc.

Also is there a way to do a DIY DSG firmware update?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 07, 2014
deltree: Is there a way to make my factory fitted RNS 315 unit in my Volkswagen CC (2012) work here in Nigeria.
Is there some work around or tweak or is it toast when used here?

Mr. Sienna, I remember we spoke about some octane boosters before the nairaland blackout. What's the procedure in getting those, usage, delivery etc.

Also is there a way to do a DIY DSG firmware update?

Unfortunately, as with most factory-installed Navigation units, the Audi / Volkswagen RNS units will NOT work in Nigeria. There are no maps for them, and NO way of installing any Nigerian maps on it. All it's good for is the screen - you can run a DVD player through it, and Freeview TV, if it's supported in Nigeria.

Octane booster? Please send me a PM / email. Or add me on BBM.

As for a DIY DSG firmware update, it's possible. Again, please send me all details of your car.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by egesie(m): 9:38am On Jul 09, 2014
Siena:

1998, so pre-facelift.

Have you tried using the key, as opposed to relying on the Centr.al Locking?
Siena, I gave my cousin my car to drive, he forgot the handbrake n cruised it with the handbrake on, checked it, it's still working fine, I hope he didn't wear anything out. I'm very worried
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:58am On Jul 12, 2014
Hi Siena are those wires supposed to be exposed? Abi naija clowns don edit the factory settings.

Would it be a good buy? I'm particular about the 2.5 i5 engine cos it runs on regular unleaded.

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Seguneji(m): 2:17pm On Jul 26, 2014
Hi sir siena, my vw golf4 is not starting, what happened that I started it dn d key opened and all d element inside it fell off, I offed d car and replace all dt fell out and tried 2 restart d car but it only starts and cuts off immediately and its showing a light like a car wit a key. Pls what can the problem be what can I do to fix it. Thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 26, 2014
Seguneji: Hi sir siena, my vw golf4 is not starting, what happened that I started it dn d key opened and all d element inside it fell off, I offed d car and replace all dt fell out and tried 2 restart d car but it only starts and cuts off immediately and its showing a light like a car wit a key. Pls what can the problem be what can I do to fix it. Thanks

Engine immobiliser is active.

Get a replacement key, and get it coded.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 26, 2014
cne010: Hi Siena are those wires supposed to be exposed? Abi naija clowns don edit the factory settings.

Would it be a good buy? I'm particular about the 2.5 i5 engine cos it runs on regular unleaded.

The red wires by the battery are normal.

Would it be a good buy? Much would depend on the technical prowess of your mechanic, and if you're willing to pay top dollar for a proper Volkswagen franchise. If you're looking to patronise roadies, then a Volkswagen built after 1998 is not for you.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 26, 2014
Siena:

The red wires by the battery are normal.

Would it be a good buy? Much would depend on the technical prowess of your mechanic, and if you're willing to pay top dollar for a proper Volkswagen franchise. If you're looking to patronise roadies, then a Volkswagen built after 1998 is not for you.

I'm no longer considering car the previous owner took out the thermostat and the has the wrong fan belt fitted in.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 1:51am On Jul 27, 2014
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 27, 2014
Please explain this statement
Siena:
...Would it be a good buy? Much would depend on the technical prowess of your mechanic, and if you're willing to pay top dollar for a proper Volkswagen franchise. If you're looking to patronise roadies, then a Volkswagen built after 1998 is not for you.[/color]
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Seguneji(m): 9:33am On Jul 27, 2014
Siena:

Engine immobiliser is active.

Get a replacement key, and get it coded.
kk thanks sir
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 27, 2014
Bant:
Looks like Siena is saying roadies (road-side mechanics) in Nigeria can't adequately handle anything Volkswagen since 1998.
Thanks for the information. Jah bless!
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 29, 2014
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by alienvirus: 8:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hi Siena.

I have VW Vento. It developed a problem and it has not been stopped since two weeks ago.

It jacks and stops while on motion. It won't start.easily until I press down d turtle for a long time. Air filter, fuel filter, plugs etc have been changed. Please help.

Thanks.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Issyman(m): 3:00pm On Aug 05, 2014
@siena and others. I just want to know d reliability of a 2001 VW jetta. Thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by ukandi1(m): 9:08pm On Aug 09, 2014
alienvirus: Hi Siena.

I have VW Vento. It developed a problem and it has not been stopped since two weeks ago.

It jacks and stops while on motion. It won't start.easily until I press down d turtle for a long time. Air filter, fuel filter, plugs etc have been changed. Please help.

Thanks.

if it was a toyota, i wil have suggested u check ur carburretor/ injector, ur fuel pump. These two are common causes of such challenges with toyota. Did i also mention ur plugs?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 09, 2014
Issyman: @siena and others. I just want to know d reliability of a 2001 VW jetta. Thanks

Mechanically, the Volkswagen Jetta is pretty much a Volkswagen Golf IV. If you're a Golf fan, you'll be familiar with a Jetta. Only difference is the trunk, versus the Golf's hatch.

The Jetta rides better than the Golf, due to the extra rear over hang. The Jetta's engine size starts from the 1.6, whereas the Golf's starts from a 1.4.

You don't state which engine size you're interested in.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 09, 2014
Bant: @Siena: Is it something I said? I'm new here so if so, please kindly correct me so I know how to talk to people next time.

Brother, I apologise. You have done nothing wrong, I was just snowed under with work, hence my late response.

The Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV-4 are more car-based, in terms of ground clearance, they are higher than regular cars. But not great on bad or unmade roads. They are based on FWD models, so hardly surprising. Smaller engines, and lighter weight means they will give good gas mileage, and maintenance costs will be fair. Lots of engine parts are shared with the Honda Accord and Toyota Avensis respectively, so all but parts specific to SUV's will be readily available.

The Ford Explorer and Volkswagen Touareg are large SUV's. Both are similar in size. Engines are bigger, so don't expect the best gas mileage. Both are quite high off the ground, the Touareg has suspension better able to cope with bad roads, and depending on trim level very plush. It is more refined than the Explorer from Ford, and has more engine options too.

Parts availability? I have no idea which are easier to find in Nigeria. Given the choice, I would pick the Touareg over the Explorer. More refined, more powerful engines, better off-road ability.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by alienvirus: 2:47am On Aug 10, 2014
ukandi1:

if it was a toyota, i wil have suggested u check ur carburretor/ injector, ur fuel pump. These two are common causes of such challenges with toyota. Did i also mention ur plugs?
a Thanks boss for taking your time to answer my question.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 10, 2014
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by damyde(m): 9:35pm On Aug 16, 2014
Issyman: Otunba Siena, well done for the good work on this forum. I appreciate of you guys-you, ikenna,car doctor, lomomike and all the gurus in the house that have been sharing their knowledge with us. I can proudly say that I now challenge my mechanic views on repairs. I now know more. when you ask all these our mechanics about your observations on your car, they will always tell you "oga leave am like that, nothing go do am or it will go away".
I have always been a Nissan user and now a Toyota user (03 camry). Otunba Siena, [b]I will need ur sincere advice on 2000 Volkswagen Passat cos I am contemplating on getting one instead of carina E. my fear on the Passat is the durability, reliability, cost of maintenance and availability of the spare parts.
[/b]pls, can you enlighten and advice if I should go for the car.
Note: I want to buy for my madam and location is Abuja. atleast there are good roads. expecting your prompt response.
thanks.

I would benefit from the response to this above query especially the highlighted part.

Many thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 16, 2014
damyde:

I would benefit from the response to this above query especially the highlighted part.

Many thanks

What engine and transmission are you interested in bro? Are you looking at a FWD model, or AWD?

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (57) (Reply)

What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) / BMW Owners' Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.