Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,062 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say (4584 Views)

We Want More Abians In Unimaid, Unimaid VC Tells Governor Ikpeazu (photos) / Abians In The UK, Ireland And Europe Have Endorse Okezie Victor Ikpeazu / Urgent Message: Gov. T. A. Orji To All Igbos And Abians In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by Onlytruth(m): 9:58am On Nov 25, 2011
This thread is for those with the relevant information on this issue.

Was there ever a time Anambra State sacked Abia State indigenes in Anambra civil service?

I have to ask this question because I honestly don't know whether it ever happened, though I doubt it did.
The Abia State government has maintained that other SE states sacked Abians in the past. I know that Enugu did sack other Igbos in the past (shame on them!), but I don't believe Anambra did it. I don't know whether Imo and Ebonyi, did it too, but I want to know about Anambra. If they did it, then, I wonder why anyone in Anambra should complain.

I would be shocked if Anambra did it, but I could be wrong.

Anyone with facts, please say when.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by Onlytruth(m): 10:06am On Nov 25, 2011
This question was inspired by this article below

Abia govt recalls sacked non-Igbo workers
From CHUKS ONUOHA, Umuahia
Friday November 25, 2011

Following the public outcry and wide condemnation of his recent indigenization policy, which led to the sack of non-natives in the state civil service, the Abia State Government has recalled non-natives from outside the South-east geo-political zone, to return to their duty posts.

It also asked those corps members, employed for their exceptional performance after their primary assignment in the state to return to work, stating that they were initially not supposed to be affected by the policy.
The Chief Press Secretary to Governor Orji, Mr. Ugochukwu Emezue, who disclosed this to newsmen in Umuahia said the issue of non-natives was taken in the best interest of the state and its people after due consultation with stakeholders of the state.
He noted that the decision of the state governor did not go down well with some people and groups within and outside the state, hence the setting up of a committee headed by the Attorney-General to look into some of the issues raised.”

“The committee is currently doing its work, but the governor decided to take some actions because of his humane nature by recalling the corps members, who were given automatic employment by the state after doing exceptionally well during their service year,” the CPS said. He said further that the governor, after considering these set of people and others like them, decided to ask them to return to their duty posts, while awaiting the action or recommendation of the committee on the non-natives. Emezue explained that the governor had also directed that those non-natives who were earlier sent packing and are from outside the South-east zone should come back to their duty posts immediately.

“Some mistakenly sent packing from the state and their duty post and others like them have been asked to resume work, while the committee is still doing their work where they will consider other matters concerning the non-natives issue.” Emezue also noted that the action of his boss to personally reconsider some categories of workers earlier sent packing was a sign that he was a true statesman and that he had the interest of the people at heart and called for understanding of the government policy.
According to him, Governor Orji had always made it clear that the decision to send non-natives back to their states of origin was a painful one and that it was taken because of the high wage bill caused by the new minimum wage, which the state could no longer carry, adding that “he has no need to apologize to anybody or group of people.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/25/national-25-11-2011-014.html
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by Onlytruth(m): 11:08am On Nov 25, 2011
Did Anambra state EVER lay off Abians; if so when?
What year did it happen?
Under which Anambra governor?

These questions are very important because Abia state government insists that Abians were fired by other SE states(Enugu, Ebonyi, Imo and Anambra) in the past.
If so, can anyone confirm whether it happened in Anambra state

Onye si na ihe na ato uto, okwuo ihe o na ato ka ya.
A na egosi nwata awo n'ikpo okwute, a na emetu ya aka! cool

It is show me time brothers. cool
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by Onlytruth(m): 11:24am On Nov 25, 2011
I'm also asking this question because I was a little hash on Abia state here some weeks back. My argument then was that the action was not well timed. However, let me assume it is somewhat pardonable if ALL other SE states did the same to Abians in the past. It is morally right to say so.
However, my hunch tells me that it never happened in Anambra state. But I could be wrong.

I would also like to know whether Imo and Ebonyi states did the same thing in the past and when.

So, I will keep this thread for about 2 weeks to get the facts out.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by FACE(m): 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2011
The truth is that it doesn't matter whether any state govt sacked Abians in the past. A wicked act has no justification at all. The sacking of people from other states was ill advised, wicked and wrong.

If Orji felt that the civil service was too large and unproductive, he should have downsized the civil service without discriminating anyone. I would not mind other states retaliating to teach him a lesson, but that would create more innocent victims.

Although my home state is Abia, I regard my self as having equal stake as anyone in Abia, Imo and Enugu and no one can tell me otherwise.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by adconline(m): 5:45pm On Nov 25, 2011
No,  Anambra is home for all. It was Enugu that fired Anambra workers after state creation in 90s
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by EzeUche(m): 6:01pm On Nov 25, 2011
I know that Enugu sacked workers from other states in the past.

My own auntie was one of those sacked and she died a few months later after that sack.

Abia was not the FIRST.

I have been reading for the last two months how my Igbo brethren has been talking poo about Abians and our state and I am furious.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by saintneo(m): 7:37pm On Nov 25, 2011
[size=28pt]Excuse me![/size]

This issue of home state workers and sacking of non-home state workers has become very stuuuupiiid, i most say.

During state creation Anambra/Enugu in the 90s, I recall that people from Enugu in the new Anambra civil service relocated to Enugu while the Anambra people relocated to Awka. I recall my dad was in the civil service in Awka prior to the state creation; he was relocated to Enugu while we(my mum, me and my siblings) remained back in Onitsha. When the separation was to difficult to maintain, we had to move to our villa in Enugu state (30 mins drive from Enugu metropolis) so that my dad could focus on his work and family at the same time. My mum had to apply for transfer as well so as to continue her teaching profession in Enugu state.

Everyday, our politicians come up with the idea of removing state of origin from our constitution. Yet even in Enugu, teachers(Enugu State natives) with lots of experience where asked to move to their LGA of origin. [s]To remain in the state capital you will not become a Head Master or Head Mistress since it is not your LGA of origin.[/s] I think this was later changed. Furthermore, wives of non-indigenous Federal civil service workers (aka Federal-wives or Federal-husbands) were also having issues with their employment with state civil service.

Where am I heading to with this argument?

I was born in Anambra, in fact I was born very close to Omambara River(Anambra River); I consider myself an Anambra man more than Enugu man. Even though I am not into civil service, I think it is high time we did away with this discrimination attitude under the guise of state of origin. We should be looking forward to a more united front, so as to encourage private businesses and development in our states.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by Onlytruth(m): 9:29pm On Nov 25, 2011
Posted by: FACE

The truth is that it doesn't matter whether any state govt sacked Abians in the past. A wicked act has no justification at all. The sacking of people from other states was ill advised, wicked and wrong.

If Orji felt that the civil service was too large and unproductive, he should have downsized the civil service without discriminating anyone. I would not mind other states retaliating to teach him a lesson, but that would create more innocent victims.

Although my home state is Abia, I regard my self as having equal stake as anyone in Abia, Imo and Enugu and no one can tell me otherwise.

cool cool cool

My home state is Anambra, but I see Enugu as my base home and Imo as my heartland home (where I run to when pursued by the evil forces of this world cool ). I don't know how many Igbos can say they have only ONE SE state home. That is one of the most beautiful things we still have as a people. That is why ALL of us must fight any attempts to divide Igboland, by all means necessary. cool
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by Metalgoong(m): 12:21pm On Nov 26, 2011
saintneo:

This issue of home state workers and sacking of non-home state workers has become very stuuuupiiid, i most say.

During state creation Anambra/Enugu in the 90s, I recall that people from Enugu in the new Anambra civil service relocated to Enugu while the Anambra people relocated to Awka. I recall my dad was in the civil service in Awka prior to the state creation; he was relocated to Enugu while we(my mum, me and my siblings) remained back in Onitsha. When the separation was to difficult to maintain, we had to move to our villa in Enugu state (30 mins drive from Enugu metropolis) so that my dad could focus on his work and family at the same time. My mum had to apply for transfer as well so as to continue her teaching profession in Enugu state.

Everyday, our politicians come up with the idea of removing state of origin from our constitution. Yet even in Enugu, teachers(Enugu State natives) with lots of experience where asked to move to their LGA of origin. [s]To remain in the state capital you will not become a Head Master or Head Mistress since it is not your LGA of origin.[/s] I think this was later changed. Furthermore, wives of non-indigenous Federal civil service workers (aka Federal-wives or Federal-husbands) were also having issues with their employment with state civil service.

I was born in Anambra, in fact I was born very close to Omambara River(Anambra River); I consider myself an Anambra man more than Enugu man. Even though I am not into civil service, I think it is high time we did away with this discrimination attitude under the guise of state of origin. We should be looking forward to a more united front, so as to encourage private businesses and development in our states.

I really don't understand your answer to the OP's question. But to answer the OP question, my mum was a top civil servant in Anambra state for more than 20 years. And she just told me that there was never a time Anambra State sacked Abians or non indigenes from her workforce. Infact, Anambra state has the highest number of non- indigenes in her workforce; afterall, she doesnt answer HOME FOR ALL for nothing.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 26, 2011
saintneo:

Anambra state has never and will never sack non-indigenes. That is the essence of the slogan "Home for All", it is also bad for business and development.
Your father left Anambra because he voluntarily decided to return to Enugu State, Unlike in Enugu state where the government forced people to leave the state. Even Enugu state women married to people from other states were affected.

Abia state had better rescind the dim wit's policy.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by Ndkings1(m): 4:20pm On Nov 26, 2011
Imo did'nt do it and wil never do it.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:16pm On Nov 26, 2011
From a reliable source who was in the Anambra civil service since state creation I was told Anambra govt never relieved ppl of their duties based on state of origin. And I dont see the most Igbo conscious governor(Peter Obi) in the s-east doing it!! My pride will really be hurt if I find out thats it has happened before or if it happens in the future! Because Anambra doesnt need to oppress her brothers in order to progress. You are always welcomed to live in Anambra if you have the tough skin and wherewithall to compete with the ever domineering natives!!
Anambra is "home for all" and "light of the nation" and nobi for mouth.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:58pm On Nov 26, 2011
Padi mi i dey feel u
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by vascey(m): 11:25pm On Nov 26, 2011
To answer your question, No! Anambra never sacked non-indigene members of her civil service. The only state to have done such was Enugu and it's effect created a divide between Enugu indigenes and their Anambra brothers and sisters. I for one was born in the old Anambra capital and my mum was a teacher at the Ekulu primary school which I attended in the 80's. But once Enugu was created the my mum along with all the Anambra workers in Enugu civil service were transfered out of Enugu to schools/offices in Anambra state. Shortly afterwards we relocated to Lagos where she rose to the rank of Assistant Director before retiring. I am saying this because it is terrible that we reject our own human resources only for others to take them and make good use of their talents. In addition, don't forget that Abia was created the same time as Enugu from the old Imo state so if such occurence has not been repeated since the Enug sack then, anyone who says SE states sacked Abia workers would need to give us more substantive proof or stand the risk of being called a blatant liar.
"Nuff said"!!!
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by gogodaye(m): 2:57pm On Nov 28, 2011
This issue really throws up the truth about our state of hypocrisy in our leaders. when the chips are down, we are no longer together. the governments in the other SE states have by their silence expressed agreement with the views exprsessed by the Abia state government. However, l still hold on to the belief that two wrongs don't make a right. U dont throw away the baby with the dirty bath water.
Re: Did Anambra State Ever Sack Abians In The Past? Anyone With Info, Please Say by AmotekunSW: 10:31am On Nov 20, 2023
Livebyday, Irony1, Obynzo, come here you diseased pig

(1) (Reply)

Evening Update. Nigeria News Paper Headline / MC Exposes President Jonathan In The Presence Of His Wife / Otuoke (bayelsa) In 2007 And 2014-google Earth...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.