Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram (23017 Views)

Controversy Surrounding The Significance Of Ashura (10th Day Of Muharram) / To Fast On The 9th And 10th Of Muharram(23rd And 24th Nov.2012) / 10th Day Of Muharram: The Reason Muslims Fast On This Day Makes Me Curious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 5:44pm On Jan 10, 2012
[size=14pt]Why Arba'een (the 40th Day of Commemorative Mourning For Imam Hussain a.s.)?[/size]

Significance of Arba'een and the Performance of the Ziyarat of Arba'een

Imam Hasan Al-Askari (a.s.) includes the performance of Ziyarat-e-Arba’een as one of the five marks for a believer, in addition to reciting 51 raka of sala, audible recitation of Bismillah, wearing a ring on one’s right hand, and doing sajda on dust. (This hadith has been narrated by Sheikh Tusi in the book Tahthib).

Why is so much importance given to the performance of the Ziyarat of Arba’een and the observance of Arba’een (40 days of mourning)?

Ziyarat, as we all know is a visitation, which in essence, is the act of speaking with and visiting our role models. Of course the physical manifestation of the ziyarat is actually being present in Kerbala to perform the Ziyarat of Arba’een, but, in reality, that is not possible for every believer. So does making ziyarat while not in Kerbala give one the same benefits? Ahadith tell us that performing the Ziyarat of Imam Hussain (a.s.) far from Kerbala would hold the same significance as being in the land of Kerbala, as long as the person performing the Ziyarat has truly understood the status of the Imam and seeks to emulate him.

Imam Muhamed al-Baqir (a.s.) states that the heavens wept over Imam Hussain (a.s.) for forty mornings, rising red and setting red. As we complete 40 days of remembrance of our Imam, we re-assert our pledge of obedience and loyalty to him,

“I bear witness that you are the Imam (who is) the upright, the pious, well-pleased (with Allah), the pure, the guide and the rightly-guided.
I bear witness that you fulfilled the pledge of Allah and you struggled in His way…I am a friend of whoever befriends him , ”

By performing the Ziyarat of Arba’een, we pledge that we will continue to follow the path of justice and righteousness and will reject injustice and speak up against the oppressors of the time,

I am an enemy of whoever is his enemy

In essence, we make a promise to continue to mold our lives according to the teaching of Imam Hussain (a.s.).

But why is it that we mourn and remember Imam Hussain (a.s.) for a period of forty days and then move on?

Our Prophet has said, “The earth mourns the death of a believer for forty mornings.” Therefore it appears that the deceased should be remembered and mourned over for a period of forty days. Performing an act for a continuous period of forty days is also known to help one to not just form a habit, but also to carry on the practice for the rest of his life.

If we look at studies dealing with bringing a lifestyle change, we notice the time period emphasized to bring about a change is usually 6 weeks which is about the same time period as 40 days (to be exact it is 42 days).

In the book 40 Days to Personal Revolution: A Breakthrough Program to Radically Change Your Body and Awaken the Sacred Within Your Soul, the author Baron Baptiste explains the significance of forty days:

Why forty days? Because the number 40 holds tremendous spiritual significance in the realm of transformation. Jesus wandered in the desert for forty days in order to experience purification and come to a greater understanding of himself and his mission. Moses and his people traveled through the desert for forty years before arriving at their home in the holy land. Noah preserved the sacredness of life by sailing his ark for forty days and forty nights. According to the Kabbalah, the ancient Jewish mystical text, it takes forty days to ingrain any new way of being into our system….

Reciting particular duas for a period of 40 days is highly recommended in our practices as well.
The unit 40 (forty) is said to be very effective. If a particular Duaa is recited 40 times, or 40 people gather to recite it, or it is recited for 40 days then its effectiveness is highly increased. (Duas.org)

It is reported from Imam Ja'fer Sadiq (a.s.) that whoever recites Dua-e-Ahad for forty days, after morning prayers will be amongst the helpers of the 12th Imam (a). Visitation of the shrine of Imam Hussain (a.s.) as well as Masjid-e-Sahla for 40 consecutive Thursdays is also very highly recommended and is one of the acts that promises a visit from the 12th Imam (ajtf).

Thus, as we perform the Ziyarat of Arba’een and commemorate the Arba’een, 40 days of mourning of Imam Hussain (a.s.), we hope and pray that this forty days of remembrance of Imam Hussain (a.s.), brings about a transformation in us by which we can continue to follow the path of Imam Hussain (a.s.) and carry on his message of upholding justice with true faith and a strong sense of sacrifice!

Refs:
A’maal of Muharram and Safar (Tayyiba Publishers)
Kerbala and Beyond by Yasin T. Al-Jabouri
The Miracle of Ziyarat-e-Ashoora
Commentary on Ziyarat Ashura, translated by Saleem Bhimji from the work of Ali Asghar Azizi Tehrani
Kitab al-Irshad, translated by IKA Howard, authored by Sheikh Al-Mufeed

Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 5:48pm On Jan 10, 2012
[size=18pt]To Recite the Supplication of "Ziyarat Arbaeen",check here:[/size]

http://www.duas.org/safar/arbaeen.htm
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 5:57pm On Jan 10, 2012
[size=14pt] Four Anti-Shi'a al-Qaeda member arrested in Karbala[/size]

Four al-Qaeda members were arrested yesterday inside agricultural areas planning to attack the pilgrims, Karbala's Operations Commander announced.

(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - Four al-Qaeda members were arrested yesterday inside agricultural areas planning to attack the pilgrims, Karbala's Operations Commander announced.

Staff General Othman al-Ghanimi told Aswat al-Iraq that yesterday's explosions were inside the agricultural areas because the pilgrims did not abide by the routes designed for their protection.

He added that investigations with the four Qaeda members are underway.

Ghanimi clarified that yesterday's explosions were within the limits of Babel province, not Karbala, that led to wounding Iraqis and Afghani pilgrims.

http://www.abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&Id=289792
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 6:09pm On Jan 10, 2012
[size=18pt]Shi'ites brave crisis, bombs for Iraq pilgrimage[/size]

By Mohammed Ameer and Aref Mohammed
BAGHDAD/SHALAMCHA CROSSING, Iraq | Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07am EST

(Reuters) - Tens of thousands of Shi'ite Muslims are pouring into Iraq's holy city of Kerbala, despite having become the main targets of a bombing campaign that followed the withdrawal of U.S. troops last month.

A political crisis since the U.S. withdrawal has raised fears among many Iraqis of a return to the sectarian slaughter in which tens of thousands were killed in 2006-07.

Attacks targeting Shi'ites have killed scores of people since the Shi'ite-led government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki issued an arrest warrant for a Sunni vice president and the main Sunni backed party boycotted parliament.

Pilgrims have choked the streets of the capital Baghdad and border crossings with Iran this week for Arbain, one of the main holy days of the Shi'ite calendar.

Many pilgrims say they are fully aware of the dangers but are determined to commemorate the end of a 40-day mourning period for Imam Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Mohammed who was killed in a 7th century battle in Kerbala.

"I am not afraid to come to Iraq, but I have a 4-year-old child I left in Iran and I wrote my will before coming here," Zahraa Qaeli, a 32-year-old Iranian housewife from Khorramshahr, told Reuters at the Shalamcha crossing on the border near Basra.

Arbain has been a frequent target of militants since the U.S.-led invasion that toppled Sunni dictator Saddam Hussein, who banned Shi'ite festivals.

Scores of people have been killed and more than 200 wounded in attacks on pilgrims in the last five days. In the worst, a suicide attacker detonated a bomb at a checkpoint crowded with pilgrims near Nassiriya on Thursday, killing 44, part of a wave of attacks that day in mainly Shi'ite areas that killed at least 73 people. A series of bombs in mainly Shi'ite districts of Baghdad on December 22 killed 72 people.

Nonetheless, traffic across the Iraqi capital has been diverted or tied up for days as thousands of defiant pilgrims make the 80 kilometer walk to Kerbala.

Tents are set up along main roads to serve food and drinks and provide beds for pilgrims, and ambulances stand at ready to offer emergency medical care.

'WELCOME MARTYRDOM'

"I would definitely sacrifice my soul for Imam Hussein. Even if this political crisis is followed by bombings, that does not deter me from the pilgrimage along with my friends," said Abdul-Hussein al-Obeidi, 45, who carried a green flag bearing an image of Hussein.

"We welcome martyrdom for the sake of Imam Hussein," said one of Obeidi's companions, who wore a blue track suit and walked with a cane.

Iraq in general, and Baghdad in particular, saw devastating sectarian violence between Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims in 2006-07, and is still plagued by a Sunni insurgency and Shi'ite militias.

"I avoid some dangerous Baghdad districts, such as Doura," said Abdullah, 45, walking quickly with his brother as he pointed towards the former Sunni insurgent stronghold.

Many of the recent suicide and car bomb attacks against pilgrims bore the signature of methods used by the Iraq branch of al Qaeda.

"I defy terrorists. They are a few gangsters, while we are the majority here," said Zahraa, 22, who wore a niqab that revealed only her eyes as she sat at a roadside tent in Baghdad. "This is my fourth pilgrimage to Imam Hussein despite a trip of several days."

An official at the Shalamcha border point said 36,000 Iranians had crossed in eight days, and the number had climbed to 8,000 to 9,000 a day, with bigger numbers expected before the rite reaches a peak on Friday and Saturday.

Iraqi officials usually put the number of Arbain attendees in the millions, many from mainly Shi'ite Iran.

"This the first time I have come to Iraq. The situation here is great. We haven't encountered any problems," Iranian civil servant Muhsen Shehrazad, 27, said.

"I am not afraid of the security situation. The love and passion we hold for Imam Hussein, peace be upon him, will not be dispelled by intimidation and explosions. Dying in the path of Hussein's passion is a wish."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/10/us-iraq-violence-pilgrims-idUSTRE8091F020120110
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 12, 2012
this thread is so filled with death, blackness (even the clothing), completely devoid of joy and heaviness. How some can be so blind as to follow a religion of complete sorrow is beyond me. Interspersed with meaningless stories are news clips of bombings, shootings, violence and death. If this is islam then i dont ever want to be involved with a religion surrounded with so much evil.
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 2:01pm On Jan 12, 2012
davidylan:

this thread is so filled with death, blackness (even the clothing), completely devoid of joy and heaviness. How some can be so blind as to follow a religion of complete sorrow is beyond me. Interspersed with meaningless stories are news clips of bombings, shootings, violence and death. If this is islam then i dont ever want to be involved with a religion surrounded with so much evil.

no one is inviting you Davidylan!

your god killed his son!!! and you call that "good friday"!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

we dont feel there is anything good when an innocent soul is oppressed and killed.we feel sad about that while you celebrate and feel happy.
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 9:50pm On Jan 14, 2012
[size=18pt]Suicide bomber captured red-handed with suicide jacket intended to attack Karbala visitors of Imam Hussain (as) commemorating Arba'een (40th day of mourning in the Ashura period):[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQrW3UfnwM0
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 12:26am On Jan 16, 2012
Shiites throng Karbala for Arbaeen despite threats

Abdelamir Hanoun, AFP
Last updated: January 11, 2012
Iraq's holy shrine city of Karbala was gearing up for the climax of annual Shiite mourning rituals on Wednesday, with millions of pilgrims thronging the city amid tightened security.

Officials said some 15 million devotees will have passed through Karbala by Saturday, when Arbaeen commemorations conclude, braving the threat of deadly attacks against the Shiite community that have killed dozens in the past week.

Arbaeen marks 40 days after the Ashura anniversary commemorating the slaying of Imam Hussein, one of Shiite Islam's most revered figures, by the armies of the caliph Yazid in 680 AD.

In recent days, throngs of mourners have overflowed Hussein's shrine in Karbala, demonstrating their ritual guilt and remorse for not defending him by beating their heads and chests in rituals of self-flagellation.

Sad songs blared from loudspeakers throughout the city and black flags fluttered alongside pictures of Hussein and his half-brother Imam Abbas, both of whom are buried in the city.

Karbala provincial governor Amal al-Din al-Har said he expected that some 15 million pilgrims will have visited the shrine city in the two weeks running to Arbaeen's climax on Saturday.

http://www.yourmiddleeast.com/news/shiites-throng-karbala-for-arbaeen-despite-threats_4045
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 12:31am On Jan 16, 2012
Sayyed Nasrallah's Speech on Arbaeen

On the night of Arbaeen of Imam Hussein, Hizbullah Secretary General His Eminence Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah recalled what had happened with Imam Hussein and his household during Ashura and the captivation procession, noting that their sacrifices had saved Islam and spoke up to let the entire world know the truth.

(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) -Thousands of people marched Saturday from various Lebanese regions towards Baalbek city to commemorate the Arbaeen in a ceremony organized by Hezbollah under the name “Procession of Grief and Pride”.

In a speech Hezbollah Secretary General Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah delivered on the eve of Arbaeen which was Friday night, he clarified that the ceremony was set to take place in Baalbek because the captives of Karbala passed through this region when they were taken away from Karbala to the castle of Yazid in Damascus.
[img]http://abna.ir/a/uploads/171/8/171806.jpg[/img]
The captives were Imam Ali Bin Hussein, Sayyeda Zainab and the rest of the wives and children of the martyred Imam, his friends, and family.

At the end of the ceremony which included Quran verses recitation and mourning over the tragedy of Ashura, Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah delivered a speech in which he reminded of the major lessons learned from Ashura and released some stances on the local and regional political situation.

Starting with the lessons learned from Imam Ali Bin Hussein and Sayyeda Zainab’s stances when they were taken to the castle of Yazid, Sayyed Nasrallah said: “We take one sentence from the speech Ali Bin Hussein said before Yazid and one sentence from Sayyeda Zainab’s speech and make them our slogan, stance and position.”

“Today, seeing what is happening in the world, from the threats of America, Israel, and their agents in the region, we repeat these stances and say: Do you threaten us of death? We are the sons of Hussein, Zayn Al-Abidin, Allah’s prophet, household, and friends, we are the sons of (the battles of) Badr, Khaybar, Hunain, and Karbala, so death for us is a norm and Allah honors us with martyrdom.”

Sayyed Nasrallah added: “We have confronted you with this spirit since 1982… and with Zainab’s stance, we fill up the fields and tell all the tyrants in the world: Use all your powers and efforts, and by Allah, you will never erase our presence, memory, and effect, you will never recognize our limits…”

Responding to Ban Ki-Moon:
From here, Hezbollah secretary General reiterated holding on to the resistance’s path and arms, and assured that these, in addition to the army and people, are the only guarantee to Lebanon’s security, dignity, and stability.

“Yesterday, I felt happiness when I heard UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon saying that he was concerned of Hezbollah’s military power. I tell him that this relieves us and makes us happy, because we want you, America, and Israel to be concerned. We don’t care about that, we only care that our people feel secure because there is a resistance in Lebanon that will not allow any captivity, occupation, or violation to their dignity,” he said in response to Ban Ki-Moon’s Friday stances which he released in Lebanon, in which he demanded the disarmament of Hezbollah.

“I say to him and to the entire world that this armed resistance will remain, continue, and expand in its power, capability, and readiness, and its certainty that it has taken the right choice is increasing. From the experience in Lebanon, Palestine, Iraq, and all the regions that witnessed occupation, we ask: What was the result of relying on the Arab League, the Arab regimes, the Islamic Conference Organization, the United Nations, the Security Council, the European Union, and such organizations?”

He continued: “The result is that Palestine is still under occupation, over 10,000 Palestinian is still in captivity, millions of Palestinians are still displaced outside their countries, and Al-Quds is being violated daily and Judaized by the Zionists.”
“On the other hand, the resistance in Lebanon, which believed in God and wagered on the power of its fighters and support of its people, achieved liberation, so did the resistance in Gaza and in Iraq.”

National Dialogue:
Regarding the national dialogue issue, Sayyed Nasrallah reassured that Hezbollah is ready to begin dialogue over a national defense strategy that protects Lebanon; however, it rejects dialogue over the disarmament of the resistance.

Imam Moussa Al-Sadr and His Companions case:
Hezbollah Secretary General tackled the case of Imam Moussa Al-Sadr and his two companions Sheikh Mohammad Yaaqoub, and Mr. Abbas Badreddine, and expressed Hezbollah’s support to the steps taken by the Lebanese government and the Lebanese delegation to Libya in this field, and thanked the Libyan officials who said they would cooperate on this file.

Internal Security:
On the internal security level, his eminence stressed Hezbollah’s compliance with civil peace and stability, and stressed that political differences on any issue must not affect security and civil peace.

“I call for this commitment and emphasize that preserving security and confronting crimes in all the regions is the responsibility of the government, army, and security apparatuses,” he said.

The Lebanese Government:
In parallel, Sayyed Nasrallah hoped that the prime minister and the ministers would make their greatest efforts so that the government succeeds.
Furthermore, he asked the cabinet to be more active and give priority to the people’s matters so that it would gain their support, and warned that there are some parts who do not want this government to make any achievement.

The Syrian Developments:
Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah assured that Lebanon is the country that is most affected by the Syrian developments, and based on that he said: “Out of our concern and love to the Syrian people, army and leadership, we call on the Syrian opposition inside and outside Syria to respond to the President (Bashar) Al-Assad’s dialogue requests, and to cooperate with him on implementing the reforms he announced previously. Moreover, we call for restoring peace and stability, dropping the arms, and solving the problems with dialogue.”

Noting that some statements have come out recently and warned of sectarian incitements in the region, his eminence said: “I tell all the countries that your political and inciting attitude in media and the fields, is what opens the way for sectarian conflicts. If you were honest in your warnings, and if you were concerned with keeping Syria and our region away from civil and sectarian wars, you have to start by changing this attitude and make united Arab efforts, in cooperation with the Islamic Republic of Iran and Turkey, to help in ending the Syrian crisis rather than igniting fire and tensing the situation.”

The Iraqi Blasts:
Commenting on the suicide bombings that hit Iraq recently killing and wounding hundreds of people, amid preparations for commemorating the Arbaeen of Imam Hussein (as), Sayyed Nasrallah assured that everyone should condemn these acts and called on “the nations’ scholars, leaders, parties, and movements, specifically the Islamic ones, to denounce all these suicide bombings that target civilians only because of ideological, political or religious differences, whether in Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan , Syria, Somalia, or Nigeria, and whether it targets Muslims or Christians.”

His eminence continued saying: “Those who are being killed in Iraq today, all their fault is that they went to visit the son of Allah’s prophet. The truth is that the killers want to take revenge from the spirit of the Iraqi resistance which defeated the occupation and forced it to withdraw.”

“I tell these killers, whoever they were, that killing is useless, and it will not stop this faithful path that seeks Allah, as neither the killing in Karbala achieved this goal, nor will the killing in Lebanon, Palestine, Iraq and Iran do that.”

Scientist’s Assassination:
Sayyed Nasrallah assured that assassinating the nuclear scientists in Iran will not stop the Islamic Republic from its scientific and technological development.

“They kill the nuclear scientists because they want us in this region to be singers, dancers, and mindless people who spend their nights and days worthlessly. However, if we were scientists, whether in chemistry, physics, or medicine, and if we were a nation that produces knowledge, which is the major power, they would not accept that,” he pointed out.

Regional Developments:
In conclusion, Sayyed Nasrallah called upon the Bahraini authorities to respond to the people’s demands, start with the reforms, and hold serious dialogue with the opposition.

He also referred to the Palestinian situation, indicating that “day after day it is being affirmed to the Palestinian people that resistance in the only choice, and that the enemies of the nation don’t want the Palestinian factions and people to reconcile and unite, because their continuous goal is to fragmentize us.”

“Brothers and sisters in Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, Iraq and the entire region, our way to glory, dignity, independence, liberation, power, prosperity, and security, is through unity, avoiding incitements and conflicts, solving issues through dialogue, and holding on to the resistance spirit and choice,” Sayyed Nasrallah stated.
“Experiences throughout history, including this great occasion, have proven to us that with this spirit that rejects humiliation, loves martyrdom, and has faith in the future and in the coming victory, we could attain unity, power, safety, glory and victory,” his eminence concluded.

http://abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&id=290720
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 16, 2012
^^^ the above post has been reported to the mods. We should not be encouraging the posting of CLEARLY terrorist material here.
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 12:35am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=18pt]Arbaeen, Karbala Biggest gathering on earth.[/size]

by Times • January 15, 2012

Biggest Gathering on earth

People from all over the country walking to Imam Hussein’s shrine in Karbala on foot (as far as 600km) for the Arba’een gathering in 2012.

[b]An estimated 19 million people visited the shrine of Imam Hussein in Karbala, Iraq during Arba’een on 15 January, 2012.[/b]An estimated 19 million people visited the shrine of Imam Hussein in Karbala, Iraq during Arba’een in 2011.
An estimated 10 to 14 million people visited the shrine of Imam Hussein in Karbala, Iraq during Arba’een in 2009.
An estimated 10 to 14 million people visited the shrine of Imam Hussein in Karbala, Iraq during Arba’een in 2010.

http://www.invigilator.net/contents/wp/2012/01/arbaeen-karbala-an-estimated-19-million-people-visited/

Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 12:36am On Jan 16, 2012
davidylan:

^^^ the above post has been reported to the mods. We should not be encouraging the posting of CLEARLY terrorist material here.

you are the terrorist.this is an Islamic forum.go to the religion forum.

Nigerians are not america's slaves.not everyone america calls a terrorist we must follow.

in a well moderated forum you could be banned for insulting a religious leader.

may God punish you.
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Nobody: 12:41am On Jan 16, 2012
LagosShia:

you are the terrorist.this is an Islamic forum.go to the religion forum.

Nigerians are not america's slaves.not everyone america calls a terrorist we must follow.

in a well moderated forum you could be banned for insulting a religious leader.

may God punish you.

How disgustingly hypocritical. The average intolerant muslim wants his own space, unviolated by "infidels" but feels justified intruding on the space of others? As long as you feel ok posting on the "religion" forum which essentially shld be closed to muslims since they have their own child boards, then expect us here.

Secondly, the above is CLEARLY terrorist in nature. The fact that you voice i will be banned in other forums for insulting hassan nasrallah is evidence of the violent, intolerant and murderous streak that runs in you as with all muslims . . . pretence and all.
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 12:55am On Jan 16, 2012
davidylan:

How disgustingly hypocritical. The average intolerant muslim wants his own space, unviolated by "infidels" but feels justified intruding on the space of others? As long as you feel ok posting on the "religion" forum which essentially shld be closed to muslims since they have their own child boards, then expect us here.
did anyone stop you from posting here? do we stop you or censor you on what you post in the religion forum? no and no! so what is your headache?

Secondly, the above is CLEARLY terrorist in nature. The fact that you voice i will be banned in other forums for insulting hassan nasrallah is evidence of the violent, intolerant and murderous streak that runs in you as with all muslims . . . pretence and all.

let me tell you and you and tell the entire world and not only the moderators,i am an admirer of Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah and i am Nigerian with Nigerian blood in my veins.

that man Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah is an enemy to zionism,their illegal occupation of lands owned by others and the exploitative and imperialistic west who used christianity to enslave you.that man is not an enemy to Nigerians and not an enemy to Nigeria.he has done nothing wrong for any dumb Nigerian like yourself to call him "terrorist".you only prove to be an american puppet and a slave.

let me also refer you,may be you can inform the government as well.that could shut your fithy mouth up.in Zaria under the able leadership of Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky pictures of Shia Muslim scholars including that of Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah are displayed during religious occassions.if you dont like it,you can bury your head in the sand.i am telling you of what is happening in Nigeria.and if you check also,in the UK where you claim to be living,his pictures are also displayed there in honor and admiration.now you can drown yourself in a london river.
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Nobody: 1:11am On Jan 16, 2012
LagosShia:

did anyone stop you from posting here? do we stop you or censor you on what you post in the religion forum? no and no! so what is your headache?

Just responding to your earlier comment.

LagosShia:

that man Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah is an enemy to zionism

and a friend of nazism . . . yup another despicable terrorist that the world would be only too glad to be rid of. What he truly stands for is virulent anti-semitism that has its roots in the quran.

LagosShia:

their illegal occupation of lands owned by others

But somehow these violent tyrant is OK with the occupation of cypriot and kurdish lands by Turkey, had no problems with arab suppression of south sudan's independence aspirations, was fine with the Syrian occupation of Lebanon for over 20 yrs?

Yeah this guy truly cares about "occupations" . . . another excuse to justify open anti-semitism.

LagosShia:

and the exploitative and imperialistic west who used christianity to enslave you.

Daft. Really daft and disingenous nonsense.

1. That same west is 100% responsible for all the technological advances that we enjoy today including mr nasrallah. What has islam done for us? I look at northern nigeria today and i am 150% glad we were colonised by the "evil" West.

2. So nasrallah hates the "imperialistic" west even though he runs an illegal militia that is far stronger than the representative lebanese government? So he hates exploitation but is just fine with how the Copts are treated in Egypt? He hates how christianity has "enslaved" us even though 99% of muslims today would rather emigrate to that same west than to the "free" islamic states of the middle east?

Pls my friend, go and sit down.

LagosShia:

that man is not an enemy to Nigerians and not an enemy to Nigeria.he has done nothing wrong for any dumb Nigerian like yourself to call him "terrorist".you only prove to be an american puppet and a slave.

I live in America, many of my family members are american citizens . . . i am against any individual who calls this great country the "great satan".

LagosShia:

let me also refer you,may be you can inform the government as well.that could shut your fithy mouth up.in Zaria under the able leadership of Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky pictures of Shia Muslim scholars including that of Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah are displayed during religious occassions.if you dont like it,you can bury your head in the sand.i am telling you of what is happening in Nigeria.and if you check also,in the UK where you claim to be living,his pictures are also displayed there in honor and admiration.now you can drown yourself in a london river.

Oh dear, such loving words from the slaves of satan. grin
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 1:45am On Jan 16, 2012
davidylan:

Just responding to your earlier comment.

and a friend of nazism . . . yup another despicable terrorist that the world would be only too glad to be rid of. What he truly stands for is virulent anti-semitism that has its roots in the quran.
if "anti-semitism" has roots in the Quran,then i am proud to be an anti-semite.but you're wrong!

tell me why Nasrallah is a terrotist.because america says so? because he stands against israeli occupation?

But somehow these violent tyrant is OK with the occupation of cypriot and kurdish lands by Turkey, had no problems with arab suppression of south sudan's independence aspirations, was fine with the Syrian occupation of Lebanon for over 20 yrs?
show me where he is okay with turkey's occupation ? you are just plain empty and dumb!!!!does the lebanese government which Nasrallah's party has ministers and formed with their allies recognize the nothern turkish republic of cyprus?no! so where are you bringing up these red-herrings from?

south sudan? you mean the israeli-american colony in africa?

syrian occupation of lebanon?that cannot be seen as occpation because it was a christian lebanese president who invited syria's military into his country.get your facts straight and dont waste my time.

Yeah this guy truly cares about "occupations" . . . another excuse to justify open anti-semitism.

Daft. Really daft and disingenous nonsense.

1. That same west is 100% responsible for all the technological advances that we enjoy today including mr nasrallah. What has islam done for us? I look at northern nigeria today and i am 150% glad we were colonised by the "evil" West.
and the same west is also responsible for many evils such as colonization and slavery and two world wars.also the islamic age of learning paved way for what europe is today.that is the time when europe was in its darkest age of ignorance.

2. So nasrallah hates the "imperialistic" west even though he runs an illegal militia that is far stronger than the representative lebanese government?
the lebanese government has consistently recognized the role of hezbollah as a resistance to occupation fighting force and considered fighting occupation of lebanese lands legal.also Nasrallah 's party (hezbollah) has members in the lebanese parliament and ministers in government.that party represents the Shia Muslim population of lebanon which is the largest lebanese community.legitimacy is from the people.respect the choice of lebanon\s people.dont do like what the west did to hamas in palestine after hamas won democratic elections.

So he hates exploitation but is just fine with how the Copts are treated in Egypt? He hates how christianity has "enslaved" us even though 99% of muslims today would rather emigrate to that same west than to the "free" islamic states of the middle east?
why are you so desperate in demonizing a man who is by far angelic compared to those you defend?

did Nasrallah not condemn attacks against muslims and christians even mentioning Nigeria by name?

muslims or africans seeking better economic prospects does not justify exploitation of third world countries who have being made such thanks to colonial policies.

Pls my friend, go and sit down.

I live in America, many of my family members are american citizens . . . i am against any individual who calls this great country the "great satan".

Oh dear, such loving words from the slaves of satan. grin

you are satanic.

you need to watch this video of an american soldeir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hp8HMstkE
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 5:58pm On May 19, 2012
LagosShia: The Horrific Moment As Nasibi Suicide Bombers And The Satanic And Evil Forces of Yazid In Afghanistan Target Shia-Muslim Afghan Mourners Commemorating The Martyrdom of Imam Hussain (as) On Ashura Killing At Least 54

• Blasts at two mosques form deadliest single attack in Kabul in three years
• Women and children among victims in Kabul old town after suicide bomber detonates device at river-side mosque
• Bicycle bomb detonated in northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif shortly afterwards
• Attacks comes a day after international conference on future of Afghanistan held in Bonn

By Wil Longbottom
Last updated at 7:13 PM on 6th December 2011

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070533/Afghanistan-attacks-Children-30-dead-bomb-blasts-2-mosques.html#ixzz1fmQdRYor

Deadly: Afghan men shout as they help to move the bodies of victims. Women and children were among those killed in the blast

Rescue: A man carries an injured victim from the bomb blast at a shrine on the river in Kabul

17 April 2012 Last updated at 14:59 GMT BBC News

[size=18pt]A photographer from the French news agency AFP has won a Pulitzer award for his photo of an Afghan girl screaming after a suicide bomb attack in Kabul.

[/size]

Massoud Hossaini won the breaking news photography award for his picture, which shows young Tarana Akbari crying after the attack on the crowded Abul Fazel Shrine on 6 December.

The Pulitzer committee described the image as "heartbreaking".

Mr Hossaini said he was glad he had become a voice for the Afghan people.

"When I could stand up, I saw that everybody was around me on the ground, really bloody. I was really, really scared," said the girl, whose name means "melody", and who is now aged 11.

'Painful memories'

She still has nightmares about the day, and no longer wears her green dress, which was drenched in blood from the attack, AFP reported.

Over 70 people were killed in the blast, which coincided with the Shia Muslim festival of Ashura, and was the deadliest suicide bomb attack in Kabul in 2011.

Mr Hossaini, who was brought up in Iran before returning to cover the war in Afghanistan, said the image brings back painful memories.

"I don't look at it any more because my heart beats faster and it brings back the emotions of that day.

"I know that whoever sees this photo will think about the photographer but I hope they don't forget the pain Afghanistan's people have in their life," he said.

The Pulitzer prize, which started in 1917, honours excellence in journalism and the arts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17738249
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 11:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
today is the 3rd of sha'ban,the day Imam Hussain (as) was born and his martyrdom prophesied.hardly anyone in history can associate his death with the day he was born.most people celebrate their birthdays.but for Imam Hussain (as),Prophet Muhammad (sa) shed tears.the birth of Imam Hussain (as) brought joy to the Prophet (sa).no sooner than his birth and the transient happiness,did Jibril (as) delivered the sad message to the Prophet (sa).

Jibril (as) asked the Prophet (sa):"do you love him"? the Prophet (sa) said:"yes,i do love him.how would i not love him and he is my son"?

Jibril (as) then informed the Prophet (sa):"those who claim to be part of your ummah will kill him".

Jibril (as) then narrated how Imam Hussain (as) would be killed.the Prophet (as) cried bitterly for Imam Hussain (as).the Prophet (sa) then explained to Sayyida Fatima (as) how her son would be beheaded and she also cried and mourned her son on the day he was born.she inquired from her father when would that take place? would it be when she,his father,Imam Ali (as) and the Prophet (sa) are still alive? the Prophet (sa) said :"no".that it would be a time when all of them would have left this earth.she was greatly saddened and asked the Prophet (sa):"who will mourn my son Hussain"? then the Prophet (sa) informed her that Allah (swt) will make a people (Shia) out of my ummah who will mourn Imam Hussain (as) till the final hour.upon that she was calmed.
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Rafidi: 8:25pm On Oct 23, 2012
On the 8th day of Zhul-Hijjah,61 AH/680 CE,Imam Hussein (as) left Makkah for Kufah forgoing the Hajj and instead performing Umra to preserve the sanctity of Makkah and the holy Ka'ba.Yazeed (la) had ordered for the assasination of the Imam (as) even if found clinging to the walls of the holy Ka'ba.the news reached Imam Hussain (as) and he decided to left Makkah to both preserve the sanctity of Makkah and to continue his march to stage his revolution in his bid to oppose tyranny and injustice and save Islam from the clutches of the tyrant.

Sermon in Mina:
http://www.al-islam.org/masoom/writings/sermonofmina.html
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 7:24pm On Oct 27, 2012
Allahumma Solli Ala Muhammad Wa Alee Muhammad Wa Ajjil Farajahum Wal'An Adowwahum!
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 9:40pm On Nov 16, 2012
Martyrdom of Imam Husayn and the Muslim and Jewish Calendars

Seyyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi
Vol VI No. 3 & 4 , 1401

THE 1400th year of the hijra caleadar is nearing its end. Since the last two years or more a substantial amount of time, energy and money is being spent of what has come to be known as the commemoration of the end of the 14th century of hijra and the welcome of the 15th. Seminars are being held, articles written, booklets published, postage stamps issued and a lot of trinkets designed, made and sold to honour this occasion. Not even the ruling dynasty of Saudi Arabia seems to mind that all these festivities—financed with petro-dollars and arranged with the active blessings of their religious leaders—are innovations (bid'ah), which the Muslims of even a century ago knew nothing about. 

It is, of course, the natural offspring of a process started a few decades ago when western imperialism established its hold in the Middle East. The Muslims of Egypt and some other countries began celebrating the (Muslim) New Year on 1st Muharram. By this act, they introduced a new "festival" in Islam. 

Of course, the justifications are many. It is claimed that these 14thcentury functions are held "to assess the impact of Islam on humanity and the contribution of Muslims to various branches of learning and in the upliftment of human society", "to probe into the past successes and failures" and "to hammer out new plans for the future". 

Noble ideas, indeed. And nobody—least of all, the present writer— would deny their relevance and validity. But these rationalizations do not alter the fact that this celebration is an innovation (bid'ah). If such commendable goals may justify this innovation, then one has a right to ask these Muslims as to why they condemn the commemoration of the martyrdom of Imam Husayn as an unlawful act ? Is not this mourning justified on these very grounds? The remembrance of Imam Husayn's supreme sacrifice on the altar of truth strengthens the moral fibre of the Muslims; keeps their feet firmly on the path of righteousuess and piety; and creates in them a willingness to sacrifice their all in the way of Allah. It also helps the mourners in "probing their successes and failures" of the past year, and in "chalking out a new plan" for their religious, spiritual and social "upliftment for the future." 

The principle should always remain the same, shouldn't it ? 

Lest there be any misunderstanding, it should be clarified here that the mourning for Imam Husayn is not a bid 'ah (innovation) at all. It was started by the Holy Prophet of Islam himself, more than 50 years before the event; and he was seen in a vision by the Mother of the believers, Umm Salmah, on the day of Husayn's martyrdom, mourning for Husayn. And Allah has ordered thousands of angels to weep on the grave of Imam Husayn till the day of resurrection. These traditions are narrated in the Sunni books, and show that this particular mourning is the sunnah of the Holy Prophet and of the angels:

1. Some 50 years before the event of Karbala, the Prophet wept when he was told by the angel that Husayn would be killed by the army of Yazid in Karbala. Then Gabriel asked, "O Prophet of God, do you want me to give you some earth from his place of martyrdom ?" The Prophet said, "Yes". Gabriel gave him a handful of earth of Karbala and the Prophet began weeping uncontrollably. This tradition is recorded in Mishkatul-Masabih, Musnad of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal, as-Sawaiqul Muhriqah of Allamah Ibn Hajar Makki and Sirrul-'alamin of Imam Ghazali; and has been narrated by Imam Sha'abi, Imam Baihaqi, Imam Hakim and scores of other traditionalists. The Prophet gave that earth to his wife, Ummul Mu'mineen, Umm Salmah, and told her, "When you see this earth turned into blood, know that Husayn has been martyred."

2. On the 10th Muharram, 61 A.H., Umm Salmah was asleep in the afternoon when she saw the Prophet in her dream: He stood there in a tragic coadition, his hair was dusty and dishevelled, and in his hand was a bottle full of blood. Umm Salmah asked him what it was. The Prophet said, "This is the blood of Husayn and his companions. I was collecting it since this morning." Umm Salmah woke up and hurried towards the bottle which contained the earth of Karbala; she saw red blood flowing from it. Then she cried and called her relatives and started mourning for Husayn. This tradition is narrated in Musnad of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal, as-Sawaiqul Muhriqah, Mishkatul-Masabih, Sahih of Tirmidhi and other books.

3. Shaikh 'Abdul Qadir Jilani writes ia his book Ghunyatut-Talebeen, Vol. II page 62; "70,000 angels came on the grave of Husayn bin 'Ali after his martyrdom and they are weeping on him and will remain weeping unto the Day of Judgement."

4. God says in the Qur'an about Pharaoh and his army: "neither the Sky nor the Earth wept for them and they were not given chance." (ad-Dukhaa, Verse 29)

Imam Muslim records in explanation of this ayat, "When Husayn was martyred, the Sky as well as the Earth wept on him and weeping of the sky is its being red." (Sahih of Muslim).

It is a sign of the greatness of the 10th Muharram that Allah commanded the Israelites to observe it as a day of mourning; it was accompanied by a stern warning that anybody disobeying that law would be cut off from his tribe. The following is the passage quoted from Leviticus (Chapter 23, verses 23-32):—

And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, in the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation. Ye shall do no servile work therein; but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord. And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the Lord your God. For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people. And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people. Ye shall do no manner of work; it shall be a stature for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings. It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

This command is also briefly mentioned in Leviticus 16: 29-34. To understand what is meant by the seventh month, the following facts should be kept in mind: 

The year of the Hebrews was based on lunar system. To make it coincide with solar year, a thirteenth month, Veadar, was added 7 times in a cycle of 19 years. The year began with the month of Abib (i.e., Nisan) with the new moon next before or next after the spring equinox.

The Arabs before Islam used to follow the same system. Thus their months coincided with the Jewish months; and Rajab coincided with Abib (i.e., Nisan) of the Jews. And the Jewish 7th month coincided with Muharram of the Arabs. (In original Hebrew reckoning, this seventh month was called Ethanim; now it is called Tishri I). As the original Jewish year began near the spring equinox (i.e. 21st March of the Gregorian calendar), the seventh month was bound to occur in SeptemberOctober. 

Some time after the Exile, the Jews changed the new year from Nisan to the day of the new moon of the 7th month. Now it is their first month; except that the system of fasting and observing other laws concerning the 1st, 9th and 10th days (of the 7th month) mentioned above continues unchanged. Yom Hakippurim is faithfully observed with all due solemnity on the 10th day of the original seventh (i.e. the present first) month. (The Hebrew term, Yom Hakippurim, is rendered as Yaum-ul-Kaffarah in Arabic and Day of Atonement in English. In 1973, the world became familiar with the term 'Yom Kippur' when Egypt chose that day to start war with Israel, and thus caught them unprepared—the whole country was engaged in observing the fast and other rules of the Day of Atonement). 

In the 9th year of Hijra, Islam forbade intercalation of the additional month every leap year. "Surely the number of months with Allah is twelve . . . Postponing (of a month, i.e. by intercalation) is only an addition in disbelief..." (Qur'an, 9: 37-38) From then on, the parity between the Jewish and the Muslim calendars disappeared. 

In spite of that disparity, the Muharram of 61 A.H. began with Tishri I; and 10th Muharram, the day when Imam Husayn was martyred was 10th Tishri (Yom Hakippurim). See, for reference, the chart comparing the Hijra and Christian calendars, given in the 21st edition of al-Munjid. Thus the relationship of Yom Hakippurim with 10th Muharram was true not only because originally Muharram used to coincide with Tishri, but also because the martyrdom actually occurred on that very day. 

[b]I once discussed this commandment with Professor N. Q. King, of California University. I told him that, as apparently no significant historical event had happened on that day in Jewish history, one might safely say that it was a sort of prognosis of the martyrdom of Imam Husayn. The Professor wrote about it to his colleague, Dr. Mishael Maswari-Caspi, who very kindly wrote to me on March 28, 1978. In this letter, he writes, inter alia, on this subject as follows:

"If there is a link between the 10th of Al-Muharram and Yom Hakippurim, it is not just a coincidence, but emphasizes that we are truly close to each other." He agreed that "in both places, Leviticus 23 and Leviticus 16, historicization is not emphasized. Nor is the historical connection brought out in Tractate Yoms, the tractate dealing in many details of the Day of Atonement." He further writes that "although no historical correlation is found, the spiritual and religious aspects are of utmost importance in both Bible and Talmud, whereas in the Midrashic literature (Midrash Tanhuma, Tisa 31) they relate this holy day to the event of bringing the tablets of the Covenant from Mount Sinai. It says 'The first time he went down on the 17th of Tammuz. He saw the calf and he broke the tablets. For two days he punished the people. He remained there from the 20th of Tammuz through the whole month of Ab, 40 days. Then he went up on the first day of Elul, staying 40 days, being the 10th of Tishri.' This is why this holy day is devoted to atonement, and this is why the High Priest entered the Holy of Holies not in his fancy cloth wiah stripes of gold (reminiscent of the golden calf), but in a purely white garment."  [/b]

In view of the fact that the original commandment of Leviticus, as well as Tractate Yoms, does not refer to any historicization, one may safely say that the event mentioned in Midrash Tanhu1na, Tisa 31, had no bearing, as a historical event, on this commandment. Rather it is the spiritual and religious aspects that are of paramount importance. The spiritual significance of bringing the tablets of the Covenant may be one of those aspects And so may be the prognosis of the martyrdom of Imam Husayn not as a historical event but as a spiritual guiding light.

It is not uncommon about the early events of the Islamic history, and especially so if they happened in Muharram or Safar, that a difference of one year appears in their timing in various narrations. For example, the martyrdom of Imam Husayn is said to happen on 10th Muharram, in the year 60, or the year 61, depending on various reports. But in fact, in most cases, there is no material difference between the two. Both speak of the same year—one calling it the 60th, and the other the 61st, year after Hijrah The reason for this confusing discrepancy is as follows: As mentioned earlier, in pre-Islamic days the year of the Arabs coincided with that of the Jews—Muharram was identical with the first (i.e. the original seventh) month of the Jewish calendar. When the Holy Prophet migrated to Medina in the month of Rabi'ul-awwal, the Muslims on the order of the Prophet himself started the Muslim calendar. They said that this or that event occurred in this or that month after Hijrah. This continued "till a year was completed", and then they began saying that a certain event occurred in the first or second year of Hijrah; and so on. And in this way the Hijra calendar was established. 

Reports to this effect are given in the Annals of al-Tabari (Prima series, E. J. Brill, Laden, ed. 1882-1885) Vol. III p. 1250 from Ibn Shahab, Ibn 'Abbas and 'Amr b. Dinar; and in Vol. V, p. 2480, from Ibn 'Abbas.

It may be inferred from the words, "till a year was completed", that the year began with Rabi'ul-awwal and ended with Safar.

Accordiag to another narrative, the Hijrah calendar was established in the region of the 2nd Caliph, in 16th year after Hijrah. The reparts to this effect are found in the same two places of the Annals of al-Tabari. According to this narrative (of Sa'id b. Al-Musayyab), 'Umar gathered the people and asked them: From which day should we write (the Calendar) ? 'Ali said: From the day the Apostle of Allah migrated and left the land of polytheism. So 'Umar did so."

The day whea the Holy Prophet left Mecca was 1st Rabi'ul-awwal. (Safinatul-Bihar, Vol. 2, p. 696).

It appears from the first narrative that the Muslim year began with the month of Rabi'ul-awwal; and that it was done by the order of the Prophet himself And if the second narrative is correct, then 'Ali had advised to start the year from Rabi'ul-awwal, an advice that according to this report, the second caliph accepted.

But the Arabs were accustomed to count Muharram as the first month, and old habits die hard; and that is why many people continued to follow that custom. That is the only explanation why Muharram came to be counted as first month of the Hijrah calendar. Obviously, this month had nothing to do with the Hijrah the event upon which the Muslim year is based. There is a report ia the same Annals, from Muhammad b. Sirin that the people, after discussion, had unanimously agreed to begin the year with Muharram. But obviously this report is an attempt to justify the practice which by the time of Ibn Sirin (d. 110 A.H.) had firmly established itself in the Muslim society.

For those who, in early days, counted Rabi'ul-awwal as the first month, Muharram was the 11th month of the old year; for others it was the 1st month of the new year. Thus by the former reckoning, Imam Husayn was martyred in Muharram that was the 11th month of the year 60 A.H.; by the later reckoning, the same Muharram was the 1st month of the year 61 A.H. 

http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/husayncal.htm
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Rafidi: 10:49pm On Nov 17, 2012
code: 365378

Date: 2012/11/17 - 11:01

Photo: Muharram of Imam Hussain mourning ceremonies begins in Zaria, Nigeria

http://www.abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&Id=365378

(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - The Annual Mourning gathering kicked off at Husainiyyah Baqiyyatullah on Tuesday the 1st of Muharram 1434 (15/11/12). As Usual the Leader of the Shia Islamic Movement in Nigeria delivered a short speech after sunset prayers.

He also read the supplications of Kumail and  dua' on the advance of New Islamic Year. Mourning was also performed.

[img]http://abna.co/a/uploads//252%5C5%5C252590.jpg[/img]

[img]http://abna.co/a/uploads//252%5C5%5C252598.jpg[/img]

[img]http://abna.co/a/uploads//252%5C5%5C252599.jpg[/img]

[img]http://abna.co/a/uploads//252%5C6%5C252601.jpg[/img]

[img]http://abna.co/a/uploads//252%5C6%5C252603.jpg[/img]
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 12:55pm On Nov 20, 2012
Biblical Perspective on Imam Hussain

Sunday, 20 January 2008 17:41 ⁠  
Masooma Beatty ⁠ 

Significant events in Allah's plan for delivering guidance to mankind are not sudden, unexpected and unforetold events.  The tragedy of Karbala was known and announced by the Prophet (saw) long before it happened.   But maybe it is mentioned even in the earlier scriptures.  What follows is one line of reasoning derived from the Biblical scriptures.

The successorship of prophethood and Imamate is a history with Allah beginning with Adam (peace be upon him) and continuing to Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny), firmly established in a covenant between the Prophet Ibrahim and Himself.  This covenant between Abraham and God as written in the existing form of the Bible apparently includes mention of the 12 imams, the third of which is Imam Hussain (peace be upon him), the champion of Karbala:

Genesis 17:10,23 "This is My covenant which ye shall keep between Me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised…. And Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all that were born in his house, and all that were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham’s house and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the selfsame day as God had said unto him."

In Genesis 17:20, we find part of God's promise in this covenant that is signified and remembered by circumcision.  "And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee; Behold I have blessed him and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly: Twelve Princes shall he beget and I will make him a great nation.”  

Some wording in translations of the Bible try to imply the covenant only goes through Isaac, but 17:23 above shows clearly it is between Abraham and “thy seed after thee” which includes Ishmael.  The twelve princes are not descended from Isaac, so they can in no way be associated with twelve tribes of Israel nor the twelve disciples of Jesus (peace be upon him); the only people who fulfill this promise of God are the Twelve Imams (peace be upon them) descended from Ishmael.

Therefore it seems probable that the act of circumcision, the sign of this covenant between God and Abraham, is a sign for humanity of this promise of the coming of the Twelve Imams and the prophets so that we all may be aware of them, listen to them, and follow the right guidance to our own benefit and blessing.  God has told us from the time of Prophet Ibrahim, then, that all the prophets including "that prophet" Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny), mentioned in other verses of the Bible, and the "twelve princes" from Ishmael would come.

Abraham was commanded by God to sacrifice his son. Prophet Ibrahim obeyed God, as did his son, and they prepared for the sacrifice.  But at the last minute, Ibrahim was spared of the task, and the sacrifice of the ram was used to replace it and to become a symbol of the later Greater Sacrifice.

Qur’an 37:105-108 “O Abraham! Of course thou hast faithfully fulfilled the dream, thou art of the truthful ones, but verily it is an open test, we have substituted it with a Greater Sacrifice.  We have transferred it to later generations."

Hajj commemorates many aspects of Prophet Ibrahim's life.  Perhaps there is some significance that the covenant is established with Prophet Ibrahim, and it is through this covenant that Prophet Muhammad and the Imams (peace be upon them) are promised.  One of the Hajj rituals centers on this test to sacrifice his son, and the Hajj rituals wind down with the reminder of the Greater Sacrifice that is in its place, via the symbol of the slaughter of an animal that is then ideally given to the needy.

What is this Greater Sacrifice transferred to later generations?  The Hajj ritual?  Or could it be the sacrifice of Imam Hussain in Karbala? The Islamic new year begins right after the Hajj, and the dates of the sacrifice of Imam Hussain occur.  It is as if the Hajj itself is a reminder of the fulfillment of this covenant in Prophet Muhammad and the Twelve Imams (peace be upon them), and a sign of Imam Hussain’s role in this covenant that is to come very soon on the calendar.

At the time of the symbolic sacrifice of Hajj, the head is shaved.  In the old scriptures, shaving the head is a symbol of mourning, as is wearing plain clothes like Hajis do.  Note also the weeping and beating the breast, both of which are central in the modern practices of memoriam of the martyrdom of Imam Hussain and his companions in Karbala: in the Bible those practices are called for by God for mourning.

Isaiah 22:12 "On that Day the Lord called for weeping and beating the breast, for shaving the head and putting on sack cloth."

The Christians believe that the sacrifice that replaced the one tasked upon Abraham was that of Jesus. But the Qur'an tells us this is not the case.

Qur’an 4:157 "And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Mary, the apostle to Allah; and they did not kill him nor crucify him, but it appeared to them so and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure."

Further the Christians say that Isaac was the one to be sacrificed and thus the replacement comes from his line, in Jesus.  But the earlier scriptures and the Qur’an tell us it was Prophet Ismail who was to be sacrificed, and Imam Husain (peace be upon him) is from his line.

There are numerous prophecies relayed from the Holy Prophet about the martyrdom of Imam Hussain at Karbala.  By contrast, in the Bible, there is no clear prophecy of the crucifixion.

But there is a prophecy that some believe is associated with the events of Karbala.

Jeremiah 46: 10

"For this is the day of the Lord God of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may avenge him of his adversaries; and the sword shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made drunk with their blood; for the Lord God of hosts has a sacrifice in the north country by the river Euphrates."

The sacrifice is presented here as the means of the vengeance against those who reject the covenant between God and man, those who reject the prophets and Imams (peace be upon them).  Or some say this verse may allude to events yet in our future, of the Imam of Our Age securing vengeance for the tragedy of Karbala according to the command of God.

Allah knows best what has been told in the prophecies and what lies in the imagination.  We do not need the previous scriptures to verify the supreme importance of Imam Hussain’s martyrdom for all of humanity.  But it is intriguing to consider the possibility of these connections remaining in what survives of God's previous revelations.

Author of this article: Masooma Beatty 

http://islamicinsights.com/religion/religion/biblical-perspective-on-imam-hussain.html
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by LagosShia: 9:26am On Nov 21, 2012
Imam Ali Ibn al-Hussain,Zainul-Abidin,as- Sajaad's (a.s), sermon in Syria-when he was taken prisoner along the women and children of the Ahlul-Bayt (as) in the court of Yazeed,who treated them as captives and prisoners of war.

When Imam Sajaad (a.s) delivered a sermon in darbar Yazid (syria), people started crying, and Yazid feared dissension, so he ordered the mu'addhin to call the adhan, and it wasn't time for the prayers. The latter shouted: Allahu Akbar!

The Imam (‘a) said: “Allah is Greater, more Magnanimous, and more Kind than what I fear and of what I avoid.”

The prayer caller now shouted: Ashadu an la ilaha illa-Allah!

He (‘a) said, “Yes, I testify with everyone who testifies that there is no god besides Him nor any other Lord.”

The caller shouted: Ashahadu anna Muhammadan rasul-Allah!

The Imam (‘a) said to the prayer caller, “I ask you, by Muhammad, to stop here till I speak to this man (Yazeed).” then he turned to Yazid and asked him, “Is this great Messenger of Allah (S) your grandfather or mine? If you say that he is yours, everyone present here, as well as all other people, will come to know that you are a liar. And if you say that he is mine, then why did you kill my father (i.e. Imam Hussain) unjustly and oppressively, and plundered his wealth and took his women captive? Woe unto you on the Day of Judgment when my grandfather (i.e. Prophet Muhammad) will be your opponent.”
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by ZhulFiqar2: 6:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
The Blood Rain in Britain On Imam Hussain's (as) Martyrdom

http://www.almujtaba.com/en/index.php/left-menu-articles/41-imam-hussain/1628-anglo-saxon-chronicles-a-lady-zaynab-bint-ali-a

Our heroine of Karbala, Lady Zaynab ('a) has been quoted as having said, after the slaughter of her Holy Brother, Imam Hussain ('a).

"Oh people of Kufa! Oh you deceivers! You traitors! You sinners! Now you weep? May God never diminish the flow of tears and may your hearts forever burn with grief and sorrow! Your false pledges contain no element of truth and sincerity. Know that you are as disgraceful and devoid of good moral character as the low and despicable purchased slave girls. Now you are weeping for my brother and raise wailing cries after him? Yes, by God you weep because you deserve it. Yes, weep more and laugh less because you have contaminated yourself in the ignominy of slaying the Imam of the time. The stain of the unjustly shed blood of my brother is on your forehead and you can never wipe it off. 

Oh Kufians! Woe be upon you! Do you know which part of Mohammad you have cut and the vow that you have broken and whose blood you have shed and whose sanctity you have violated?

By killing your Imam you have assumed responsibility for such a disgraceful, grievous and gruesome deed.

Would you doubt if after all blood rains from the skies above.

Remember! The punishment of the day of judgement which will be more severe and extremely harsh............"

The Tragedy of Karbala

Most Muslims know of the Tragedy of Karbala, however, it is only the followers of the Aylul Bayt ('a) who understand the teachings in Islam according to the Holy Aylul Bayt ('a) who were slaughtered by the enemy in the desert sands of Karbala, Iraq. Imam Hussain ('a) was the last of "Al Kisa ", the "Holy Five", for which the entire universe was created. Ref: Hadith al-Kisa.

Anglo Saxon Chronicles

So what does the "Anglo Saxon Chronicles" have to do with such a gruesome event of which the likes the world had never seen?

[img]http://www.abna.ir/a/uploads//84/7/84772.gif[/img]

When our correspondent from the Gulf sent in these scanned pages, Haji had highlighted one section of the chronicles and after having read her highlighted segment, my mind immediately travelled to the desert sands of Karbala and then to our Lady Zaynab's ('a) speech in Kufa [see segment above]. In that speech there is one particularly important statement for the purpose of understanding this exercise. Lady Zaynab ('a) has said in the above speech:

"Would you doubt if after all blood rains from the skies above."

When I read this speech for the first time, a while ago, I visualised exactly what our Lady Zaynab ('a) had said, however after researching for some time of it having rained blood in Arabia I found that it did indeed rain blood in Great Britain in the same year as the Martyrdom of Imam Hussain ('a).

The Chronicles state that:

[img]http://www.abna.ir/a/uploads//84/7/84773.gif[/img]

In the year 685 AD (Christian Calendar):

"685. In this year in Britain it rained blood, and milk and butter were turned into blood."

he recording of the event in a distant land (Great Britain) who had no interest other than recording history, was the only way that I see that it could have come to light as a proof.

When he ('a) was martyred, the sky wept blood for Imam Hussain ('a).

It is reported that when Imam Hussain ('a) was killed not only the residents of the heavens cried for Imam Hussain ('a), but even the skies cried for him and they wept blood for this Mazlum. This is reported not only in the Shi’a books but also in the most important Sunni references:

“On the day of the martyrdom of al-Hussein ('a) the sky rained blood . . . .”

Refer:

Thakhaa’er al-Uqba pp 144, 145, 150.

Al-Sawaa’eq al-Muhriqah pp 116, 192.

“There was not a stone which was not lifted but underneath it was found blood . . . . ”

Refer:

Tathkirat-ul-Khawaas p 284,

Tafsir ibn Kathir vol. 9, p 162 . . . . .

Nadra al-Azdiya, a woman who was contemporary with the Imam Husayn, is said to have reported:

'When al-Husayn b. 'Ali was killed, the sky rained down blood, so that next morning we found our wells and water jugs filled with it.' [24]

Therefore, the conclusion to this literary exercise is that there is irrefutable proof that the skies did rain blood over much of the world after the event of killing the Grandson of Prophet Muhammad ('s), Imam Hussain b. Ali b. Abu Thalib ('a), reflecting the enormity of the tragedy and the truth in the powerful words of Sayyeda Zaynab ('a).

We ask for Sayyeda Zaynab ('a) to forgive us for any mistakes in this work insh'Allah.

Authors: Hj Hala and Hj Zaynab El-Fatah
Illustrations: Provided by Hala
Chief Editor: Hj Nurzaynab El-Fatah
Production: Hj S. Abidin
Published Date: 7th June, 2002.
Modification Date: 19th January, 2009/ 21st Muharram 1430
Publication ID: 02chroniclesZaynab. Anglo Saxon Chronicles & Lady Zaynab bint Ali ('a)
Anglo Saxon Chronicles's website: http://omacl.org/Anglo/
Copyright: © Victory News Magazine, 2009
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Rafidi: 11:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
[size=14pt]"Revive our issue and mission; may Allah have mercy on whoever revives our issue and mission."[/size]

-Imam Ja'far Ibn Muhammad,al-Sadeq (as),the sixth holy Imam from the Ahlul-Bayt (as) of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (sawaws).
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by ZhulFiqar2: 10:28am On Nov 23, 2012
The Unsung Heroes of Karbala

Sunday, 11 January 2009 21:13 ⁠  

Aliyyah Rizvi-Bokhari ⁠ 

Quality, not Quantity

Why were there so few companions in Karbala on the side of Imam Hussain (peace be upon him) in comparison to the enemy? There are a number of reasons that there were so few, yet we must realize that the quality of these men outshines the quantity. Yazid's army had thousands of men, but history has shown their quality.

When Imam Hussain first arrived in Karbala, he explained to his companions, "People [who] are slaves of the world regard religion like a thing which possesses a good taste. So far as they enjoy its taste upon their tongues, they keep it inside their mouths. But when religion becomes a thing for their being tested, the number of religious people becomes very small."

If the Imam was just concerned about numbers, he would not have repeatedly told his companions that they were free to leave him. The Imam had the best of the best, and on the eve of Ashura, none of the companions deserted him. Not one. Each man understood the significance of what he was doing and why he was there. Each one chose to sacrifice himself for the Imam's goals. Some joined Imam during his journey to Karbala, and others came to him there.

Their Qualities

The people of Kufa among the Imam's companions were known as the heart of their city. Many were well-known nobles and influential people. They were famous for their piety, and even the enemy was aware of their reputation. One example is Burayr son of Khuzayr, who had been a companion of Imam Ali (peace be upon him) as well. The enemies said Burayr was a man who never lied, and that he was a teacher and a reader of the Qur'an – the "Sheikh of Qaris".

Apparently for the wider Kufan public, it was a mystery how such "prayerful and abstemious" men had committed themselves to war. (However, they were on the receiving end of what was obviously a one-sided war.) They had committed themselves to a battle for the truth, and serving the Imam in every capacity is a part of piety.

Being pious is not limited to offering prayers; it is applicable to every part of life. The companions proved their piety in prayer and in war when they defended their Imam. They proved their piety in their behavior, by being the best they could be: in Karbala, they remained disciplined and organized. They waited for the Imam to guide them and did not act brashly on their own. They also had excellent manners. They treated women with respect, and they did not look down upon each other because of age differences.

Coming from a variety of backgrounds, the companions included slaves who were alongside those nobles of Kufa. Those slaves may have had a low worldly status, but due to their deeds, they became the elites of the hereafter. The companions were not thinking of their Muslim brothers' economic class; they were looking at the person on the inside. They set an example for those who want to be considered companions of their Imam today. Do the believers seek unity based around on values or based simply on race or class?

In Karbala, there were companions from different tribes and regions. There were youths and there were elderly veterans who had fought in wars under Imam Ali. Some of the elders had been companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him and his progeny) himself. The men were skilled in battle and renowned for their bravery as well as their goodness. Not only that, but many were skilled in poetry. They even used that skill to serve the Imam.

While we are awaiting the arrival of our 12th Imam (may Allah hasten his reappearance), are there skills we have that can be cultivated to serve the Imam of our time? Are we using our skills for the right purposes?

Poetry was used by those companions to express support for Imam Hussain, to give reassurance of their protection of him and his family, and to convey their pleasure at being of service. They expressed love for the Imam and for his grandfather in verse and spoke to the enemy of the right path too.

On the night of Ashura, Burayr was so happy to be on the right path that he even had good humor at such a time when it would be difficult to do so. Burayr was outside a tent with another companion, Abdur Rahman, when he joked with him. Abdur Rahman exclaimed, "This isn't the time for wits!" Burayr responded, "My relatives know that I was never a witty person neither in my youth nor in my old age, but since I have been given the glad tidings of eternal salvation, I feel like exploding with joy and don't see any distance left between me and Paradise except martyrdom."

Taking a look at the army of Yazid under Omar son of Sa'ad, yes, the number of people was many. A number of the companions had relatives amongst his men. However, when it came to the truth, blood ties did not matter, and that holds true today as well. Shimr's own nephews were on Imam Hussain's side, and they rejected his protection unanimously. There were several fathers and sons who were together on Imam's side in Karbala, and brothers as well, but there were also brothers who were on opposite sides.

In Omar son of Saad's army were the common people of Kufa and the suburban tribes, who were fighting for various reasons, such as to simply obey their ruler no matter what, to fulfill military obligations, and to get worldly rewards. Some in the army did not want to fight Imam but lacked the willpower to resist the oppressors. However, there were others who made the right choice and changed sides, becoming martyred companions of Imam Hussain.

Those who made that right choice had come to Karbala as part of Omar son of Saad's army, and they had said to him on the tenth night of Muharram, "When the son of the Holy Prophet's daughter [Imam Hussain] proposed three alternatives to you so that war doesn't start, why didn't you accept any of them?" This group of thirty men made their objections and left to join Imam Hussain's camp.

One of them was a former commander of Imam Ali's forces in Kufa. Another was Zahir son of Salim, whose name is listed in Ziyarat Nahiya. They are examples that it is never too late to repent if one does so sincerely. Here they were coming to Imam's side on the last night after being part of Omar son of Saad's army, and they died as martyrs and are today offered salutations and the highest regards by Shias in Ziyarats.

When reciting the salutations to the companions who were martyred on Ashura, it is important to remember that everyone has a choice between good and evil. The ultimate decision lies with us, and those companions had the same choices. They made the right decision, even though it was the harder one. They were in the minority, but that did not stop them. They still held on to their values and beliefs and were protecting Islam at a time when it was dangerous to do so. Today Shias in general are a minority. Are we holding on to our values and beliefs? Would we drop everything to help the Imam of our time? Would we still stay and serve him if he kindly allowed us to go away?

The Last Night

On the night of Ashura, Imam said to his companions, "I haven't seen anyone better or more loyal than my own companions. Also, I don't know any family more obedient and committed to family ties than my own Ahlul Bayt. May Allah bless you with His rewards for supporting me!"

That night, after Imam gave his sermon in which he said his companions could leave if they wanted to, Zuhayr son of Qayn stood up.

Zuhayr had first been on the enemy's side during the Imam's journey to Karbala. At one of the stops, Imam had sent over a messenger requesting a meeting. Zuhayr was shocked at the request, and then his wife spoke, putting into action a new chain of events. She was one of many women who gave sacrifices for the Imam in her own way. Women were not to fight on the battlefield, but they contributed to the events at Karbala in their own ways, which included encouraging their male relatives to support Imam Hussain.

Zuhayr's wife had said: "Glory to Allah! The Holy Prophet's Son has called you, has sent someone to see you, and how would you refuse to see him? Why don't you visit him and hear his words?!" He went, came back glowing, and said to his wife: "I have divorced you because I don't like that you should face anything except good from my side. I have decided to remain in Imam's company and to sacrifice my life upon him." He gave his wife money, supplies, and assigned cousins to escort her until the end of her journey. His wife bade farewell to him while weeping, saying, "May Allah be your helper and protector, bestow upon you good in this journey, and don’t forget to mention about this, my self-sacrifice, to Imam's Grandfather on the Day of Judgment."

Now it was the last night of his life, and Zuhayr, as a companion of Imam, was standing up after the Imam's sermon. He said, "O Son of the Holy Prophet! We have heard your words. If our world was forever, and we would have been living there as eternal, we would have preferred to join you in your uprising and be killed with you rather than remaining in that world." Burayr then stood up and said words echoing Zuhayr's sentiments.

Then, Nafi' son of Hilal al-Jamali got up. He had been a companion of Imam Ali and was known as a recorder of traditions and a reader of the Holy Qur'an. So many companions were known for their relationships with the Qur'an, for being reciters of it. But they were not those who just recited it and nothing else. They actually followed it and were protecting it.
The next day, Nafi was to kill many enemies and would be extremely courageous until his last breath. This night, Nafi said, "O Son of the Holy Prophet, you know that even the Holy Prophet couldn't succeed in having his love inside the hearts of all the way he desired. Not all of them surrendered to his commands. Because among the people, there were hypocrites who promised to support but deep inside their hearts possessed the intentions of deceit. This group while they were in front of him appeared sweeter than honey, but behind his back were bitterer than colocynth, until Almighty Allah decided to take him under His blessing. Your father Imam Ali encountered the same problem. A group arose for his support and he waged war against the [enemies at the Battles of Jamal and Siffin] and the [Kharijites of Nahrawan] until his term came to end, and he too hurried towards eternal abode to live near Allah's blessing. And today, you are facing the same situation! Whoever broke his promise and removed allegiance from his neck is a loser, and Allah will make you needless of him. With us, wherever you want to go, whether towards east or west, you may do so. By Allah, we aren't afraid of our destiny and don't regard Allah's countenance as unpleasant. We, because of our intentions and farsightedness, love whoever loves you, and whoever shows enmity towards you, we too consider him as our enemy."

The astuteness of the companions in assessing the situation, understanding the people, and connecting history is obvious. The loyalty and devotion they showed towards the Imam of their time is something to aspire to, for we today have our own Imam Mahdi to pledge allegiance to. Let us not be like those who only pledged allegiance with their tongues and not their hearts.

Author of this article:
Aliyyah Rizvi-Bokhari

http://www.islamicinsights.com/religion/history/the-unsung-heroes-of-karbala.html
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by vedaxcool(m): 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2012
Zhul-Fiqar.:
The Blood Rain in Britain On Imam Hussain's (as) Martyrdom

http://www.almujtaba.com/en/index.php/left-menu-articles/41-imam-hussain/1628-anglo-saxon-chronicles-a-lady-zaynab-bint-ali-a

Our heroine of Karbala, Lady Zaynab ('a) has been quoted as having said, after the slaughter of her Holy Brother, Imam Hussain ('a).

"Oh people of Kufa! Oh you deceivers! You traitors! You sinners! Now you weep? May God never diminish the flow of tears and may your hearts forever burn with grief and sorrow! Your false pledges contain no element of truth and sincerity. Know that you are as disgraceful and devoid of good moral character as the low and despicable purchased slave girls. Now you are weeping for my brother and raise wailing cries after him? Yes, by God you weep because you deserve it. Yes, weep more and laugh less because you have contaminated yourself in the ignominy of slaying the Imam of the time. The stain of the unjustly shed blood of my brother is on your forehead and you can never wipe it off.

Oh Kufians! Woe be upon you! Do you know which part of Mohammad you have cut and the vow that you have broken and whose blood you have shed and whose sanctity you have violated?

By killing your Imam you have assumed responsibility for such a disgraceful, grievous and gruesome deed.

Would you doubt if after all blood rains from the skies above.

Remember! The punishment of the day of judgement which will be more severe and extremely harsh............"

The Tragedy of Karbala

Most Muslims know of the Tragedy of Karbala, however, it is only the followers of the Aylul Bayt ('a) who understand the teachings in Islam according to the Holy Aylul Bayt ('a) who were slaughtered by the enemy in the desert sands of Karbala, Iraq. Imam Hussain ('a) was the last of "Al Kisa ", the "Holy Five", for which the entire universe was created. Ref: Hadith al-Kisa.

Anglo Saxon Chronicles

So what does the "Anglo Saxon Chronicles" have to do with such a gruesome event of which the likes the world had never seen?

[img]http://www.abna.ir/a/uploads//84/7/84772.gif[/img]

When our correspondent from the Gulf sent in these scanned pages, Haji had highlighted one section of the chronicles and after having read her highlighted segment, my mind immediately travelled to the desert sands of Karbala and then to our Lady Zaynab's ('a) speech in Kufa [see segment above]. In that speech there is one particularly important statement for the purpose of understanding this exercise. Lady Zaynab ('a) has said in the above speech:

"Would you doubt if after all blood rains from the skies above."

When I read this speech for the first time, a while ago, I visualised exactly what our Lady Zaynab ('a) had said, however after researching for some time of it having rained blood in Arabia I found that it did indeed rain blood in Great Britain in the same year as the Martyrdom of Imam Hussain ('a).

The Chronicles state that:

[img]http://www.abna.ir/a/uploads//84/7/84773.gif[/img]

In the year 685 AD (Christian Calendar):

"685. In this year in Britain it rained blood, and milk and butter were turned into blood."

he recording of the event in a distant land (Great Britain) who had no interest other than recording history, was the only way that I see that it could have come to light as a proof.

When he ('a) was martyred, the sky wept blood for Imam Hussain ('a).

It is reported that when Imam Hussain ('a) was killed not only the residents of the heavens cried for Imam Hussain ('a), but even the skies cried for him and they wept blood for this Mazlum. This is reported not only in the Shi’a books but also in the most important Sunni references:

“On the day of the martyrdom of al-Hussein ('a) the sky rained blood . . . .”

Refer:

Thakhaa’er al-Uqba pp 144, 145, 150.

“There was not a stone which was not lifted but underneath it was found blood . . . . ”

Refer:

Tathkirat-ul-Khawaas p 284,

Tafsir ibn Kathir vol. 9, p 162 . . . . .

Nadra al-Azdiya, a woman who was contemporary with the Imam Husayn, is said to have reported:

'When al-Husayn b. 'Ali was killed, the sky rained down blood, so that next morning we found our wells and water jugs filled with it.' [24]

Therefore, the conclusion to this literary exercise is that there is irrefutable proof that the skies did rain blood over much of the world after the event of killing the Grandson of Prophet Muhammad ('s), Imam Hussain b. Ali b. Abu Thalib ('a), reflecting the enormity of the tragedy and the truth in the powerful words of Sayyeda Zaynab ('a).

We ask for Sayyeda Zaynab ('a) to forgive us for any mistakes in this work insh'Allah.

Authors: Hj Hala and Hj Zaynab El-Fatah
Illustrations: Provided by Hala
Chief Editor: Hj Nurzaynab El-Fatah
Production: Hj S. Abidin
Published Date: 7th June, 2002.
Modification Date: 19th January, 2009/ 21st Muharram 1430
Publication ID: 02chroniclesZaynab. Anglo Saxon Chronicles & Lady Zaynab bint Ali ('a)
Anglo Saxon Chronicles's website: http://omacl.org/Anglo/
Copyright: © Victory News Magazine, 2009

Now can't we in all honesty conclude that Yazeed was not responsible for the death of Husayn r.a but the Kufans (shias)? If I were the one that quoted the above I would be accused of trolling but now we see what shias are confessing that the Kufans murdered Husayn r.a just to cover their tracks!
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by ZhulFiqar2: 3:01pm On Nov 23, 2012
vedaxcool:

Now can't we in all honesty conclude that Yazeed was not responsible for the death of Husayn r.a but the Kufans (shias)? If I were the one that quoted the above I would be accused of trolling but now we see what shias are confessing that the Kufans murdered Husayn r.a just to cover their tracks!

Let me first make it very clear to you.I'm replying you assuming that you're honestly ignorant and you want the truth.if you waste my time and prove me wrong,you'd get very fiery replies subsequently.just take note that I don't have LagosShia's patience to prolong matters or courting you.

When the Shia hold Yazeed responsible for the killing of Imam Hussain (as),his household members and loyal Shia,it is because Yazeed was the "caliph" and he gave the order right from when Imam Hussein (as) was in Mecca, before he left for Iraq.

When the Shia hold Yazeed responsible it is because it was Yazeed who saw it beneficial to him to kill the Imam.

When the Shia hold Yazeed responsible,it is not in any way to absolve the Kufans for their betrayal or whoever assisted Yazeed to kill Imam Hussain (as).the kufans did betray the Imam (as),and may the curse of Allah be upon them as it is upon Yazeed.I am aware that Sunnis do hate yazeed for what he did,except the wahhabis among Sunnis who defend him.

now would wahhabis,who you obviously think like and copy from their hate-filled websites,curse Yazeed as the Shia curse all those that harmed Imam Hussain (as),be they kufans or alaskans? when you and the wahhabis on the other hand accuse the kufans of responsibility,it is firstly to absolve yazeed of blame of killing the holy Imam (as).Yazeed is only regarded wahhabis among Sunnis a "legitimate ruler",so the wahhabis try to shift blame by talking about the Kufan betrayal.secondly talking about how Kufans refuse to fight against Yazeed in defense of Imam Hussein (as),after the Kufans asked Imam Hussein (as) to come to Iraq is meant for sectarian propaganda to create the silly notion it was "shia" who killed Imam Hussain (as).didn't Yazeed give orders for the Imam (as) to be killed right when the Imam (as) was in Mecca? now the question is was Yazeed on whose authority,order and instigation his army and the kufans were acting,a "shia" himself? Why dishonesty? Today even if a Korean is a Shia,the wahhabis would still hold him "responsible" for the killing of Imam Hussein (as).now isn't that plain stupidity? In islam we don't believe sin is inherited.

the kufan society as at that time was full of hypocrites no different from the bedouin arabs in the time of the holy Prophet (s), why are described as the "worse hypocrites" in the Quran.it is possible for kufans to claim to believe in one thing and do another.also,not all kufans were Shia.but let me even favor your argument and for argument's sake accept that those who betrayed Imam Hussein (as) were all "shia".how does what kufans did affect me as a Nigerian Shia? Were the Kufans acting according to Shia Islamic beliefs? Even the kufans today who are Shia or Sunni would not take responsibility for the treachery their ancestors displayed.and every soul will be accountable for its own sins.

Finally,Salman Rushdie who insulted the Prophet's integrity and image was brought up a Sunni.so according to silly wahhabi propaganda,Sunnis should be accountable for the "satanic verses" he authored.you can never be a true Shia if you oppose (talkless of harm) the Prophet (sa) and his progeny.you can also not be considered a true Sunni or Shia,or in fact muslim at all,if you insult the Prophet (sa) or harm his progeny.if I don't hold Sunnis responsible for what salman rushdie did,why would any sunni hold the Shia, generations later for what kufans alongside others (from syria and elsewhere) did at Yazeed's command?very simple.besides why were sunnis folding their arms and sleeping when Yazeed sent his army to kill Imam Hussein (as),his household and loyal Shia? Ok,the Kufans betrayed Imam Hussein (as),because of Yazeed's bribery or the intimidation of Ibn Ziyad (yazeed's governor in Kufa)-may Allah's curse be upon the hypocrites of Kufa who betrayed Imam Hussein (as)-but why didnt Sunnis help Imam Hussein (as)? Why were they sleeping and on whose side were they? Were there Sunnis on Yazeed's side or not? The accursed Kufans were hypocrites and sell-outs but what about Sunnis? Were they also or just sleeping and careless about Islam?

I pray to God you understand what I'm saying and you don't try to display stupidity here.
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Rafidi: 5:38pm On Nov 23, 2012
Let me also add that in addition to the Tragedy of Karbala,Yazeed crimes and attrocities extend.he still showed no remorse when it come to killing and plundering.in the Battle of al-Harrah,Yazeed sent his army from Syria (the Umayyads made Damascus their capital) into Medina.the holy city of Medina was ransacked,its people killed and their wealth plundered.the Syrian army of Yazeed went on looting spree.thousands of the inhabitants of Medina were killed.you can further read about the Battle of al-Harrah.[/b]what even make the crimes of Yazeed worse is the fact that it is forbidden for anyone to fight or shed blood in the holy cities of Medina and Mecca or to kill their inhabitants.in a hadith,the Prophet (saw) cursed anyone who oppresses the inhabitants of Medina.

After the [b]Battle of al-Harrah
and Yazeed's army capturing it,his army then headed south to the holy city of Mecca.they laid siege to the holiest city in Islam,and in the process the holy Ka'ba was damaged.it siege only ended when Yazeed all of a sudden died.

And this is the same Yazeed that some people (as you can see in the below video) defend when the Shia Muslims send la'nat on him and consider him a kaffir,an immoral person and an illegitimate ruler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98bK3V7JNfY
Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Rafidi: 5:39pm On Nov 23, 2012
Let me also add that in addition to the Tragedy of Karbala,Yazeed crimes and attrocities extend.he still showed no remorse when it come to killing and plundering.in the Battle of al-Harrah,Yazeed sent his army from Syria (the Umayyads made Damascus their capital) into Medina.the holy city of Medina was ransacked,its people killed and their wealth plundered.the Syrian army of Yazeed went on looting spree.thousands of the inhabitants of Medina were killed.you can further read about the Battle of al-Harrah.[/b]what even make the crimes of Yazeed worse is the fact that it is forbidden for anyone to fight or shed blood in the holy cities of Medina and Mecca or to kill their inhabitants.in a hadith,the Prophet (saw) cursed anyone who oppresses the inhabitants of Medina.

and Yazeed's army capturing it,his army then headed south to the holy city of Mecca.they laid siege to the holiest city in Islam,and in the process the holy Ka'ba was damaged.it siege only ended when Yazeed all of a sudden died.

And this is the same Yazeed that some people (as you can see in the below video) defend when the Shia Muslims send la'nat on him and consider him a kaffir,an immoral person and an illegitimate ruler:

Re: Ashura:Commemorating The Martyrdom Of Imam Hussain (as) in the Month of Muharram by Rafidi: 5:40pm On Nov 23, 2012

and Yazeed's army capturing Medina,his army then headed south to the holy city of Mecca.they laid siege to the holiest city in Islam,and in the process the holy Ka'ba was damaged.it siege only ended when Yazeed all of a sudden died.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Muslim Singer Praises Allah with ‘Zazoo Zeh’ (Video) / Myth Of 72 Virgins In Islam / Boyfriend & Girlfriend:- What If I Love Him/her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 270
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.