Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,721 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo (1157 Views)

Uche Ekwunife Visits Chris Ngige Over The Death Of His Dad (Pic) / The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel / Ojukwu - The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by Ovularia: 5:47pm On Nov 26, 2011
The Death Of A Nigerian Icon – The Ikemba Chukwuemeka Odimegwu-ojukwu

Akintokunbo A Adejumo

November 26, 2011

Prior to the 1966 coup which ushered in General JTU Aguiyi-Ironsi, very few people in Nigeria had ever seen soldiers before. They were mostly confined to the barracks. Most of us in those days did not even know that Nigerians soldiers were sent to the Congo. Even now, most history books never recorded the exploits and bravery of Nigerian soldiers in the West African Auxiliary Force who distinguished themselves in the First and Second World Wars on the side of the British colonial masters in Burma and East Africa. That is another story.

Then came the first time I saw soldiers in 1966 on TV, and one of them was the face of a young Colonel called Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, who at the time was named the Governor of the Eastern Region. The name, Ojukwu, itself connotes some kind of force, some authority, some discipline and romanticism to me, at least. To make it more intriguing to me, I had never before seen a soldier who has a full beard as this man. The perception then, to us civilians, was that soldiers are not allowed to grow beards as part of their service; and that Ojukwu was given special dispensation by the Nigerian Army to do so because the beard just wouldn’t go. This further reinforced my belief that this was a hard, stern, disciplined man, and to me as a Yoruba man, further confirmed to me that the Igbo were a tough and hardy people.

Throughout his tenure, and before and during the civil war, I never saw Ojukwu smile. He was always taciturn, serious, stern, and hard-faced, another feature that convinced me of his being a man of sterner stuff; a man not given to trivialities or nonsense. It was therefore no surprise to me, even at that very young age of mine, after the large scale massacre of his people and his disaffection with the Military Government of General Yakubu Gowon, who was his (Ojukwu’s) junior in the Army, that he felt he had to secede from the Nigerian nation to save and protect his people.

With the benefit of hindsight, and considering the current and increasingly violent fractious situation of Nigeria, who can blame him? I feel in fact that the Ikemba, as Ojukwu’s title is called, is now wholly vindicated.

I do not need here to recite a long biography; his birth, school; army career and his infamous war with Nigeria are well documented. Suffice it to say he was born into a rich family, well educated both in Nigeria and in the UK and in 1957, within months of working with the colonial civil service, he left and joined the military as one of the first and few university graduates to join the army: O. Olutoye (1956); C. Odumegwu-Ojukwu (1957), E. A. Ifeajuna and C. O. Rotimi (1960), and A. Ademoyega (1962). (Wikipedia)

His popular background and sound education guaranteed his promotion to higher ranks. Besides, as at 1956, the Nigerian Military Forces had 250 officers and only 15 were Nigerians. There were 6,400 other ranks, of which 336 were British. It is not surprising that he is N/29 (W.U. Bassey was N/1, while JTU Aguiyi-Ironsi was N/2; the first Nigerian to be commissioned as an officer, Lieutenant L. V. Ugboma, left in 1948) Odumegwu-Ojukwu has an understandably fast rise in the military, eventually becoming the Quartermaster General. (Wikipedia)

Ojukwu served in the United Nations’ peacekeeping force in the Congo, under the legendary Major General Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi, and was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in 1964 and posted to Kano, where he was in charge of the 5th Battalion of the Nigerian Army. He was in Kano, northern Nigeria, when Major Patrick Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu on January 15, 1966 executed and announced the bloody military coup in Kaduna, also in northern Nigeria. It is to his credit that the coup lost much steam in the north, where it had succeeded. Lt. Col. Odumegwu-Ojukwu supported the forces loyal to the Supreme Commander of the Nigerian Armed Forces, Major-General Aguiyi-Ironisi. Major Nzeogwu was in control of Kaduna, but the coup had flopped in other parts of the country. He surrendered. (Wikipaedia)

General Aguiyi-Ironsi took over the leadership of the country and thus became the first military head of state. On Monday, January 17, 1966, he appointed military governors for the four regions. Lt. Col. Odumegwu-Ojukwu was appointed Military Governor of Eastern Region. Others were: Lt.-Cols Hassan Usman Katsina (North), Francis Adekunle Fajuyi (West), and David Akpode Ejoor (Mid West). These men formed the Supreme Military Council with Brigadier B.A.O Ogundipe, Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters, Lt. Col. Yakubu Gowon, Chief of Staff Army HQ, Commodore J. E. A. Wey, Head of Nigerian Navy, Lt. Col. George T. Kurubo, Head of Air Force. (Wikipedia)

By May 29, 1966, things quickly fell apart: There was a planned pogrom in Northern Nigeria during which Nigerians of South-Eastern Nigeria origin were targeted and killed. This presented problems for the young military governor, Colonel Odumegwu-Ojukwu. He did everything in his power to prevent reprisals and even encouraged people to return, as assurances for their safety had been given by his supposed colleagues up north and out west.

On July 29, 1966, a group of officers of Northern origin, notably Majors Murtala Ramat Rufai Muhammed, Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma, and Martin Adamu, led the majority Northern soldiers in a mutiny that was later tagged “counter-coup.” The Supreme Commander General Aguiyi-Ironsi and his host Colonel Fajuyi were abducted and killed in Ibadan.

First, Ojukwu, to his credit, insisted that the military hierarchy must be preserved; in which case, Brigadier Ogundipe should take over leadership, not Colonel Gowon. But Ogundipe no longer had the stomach to deal with the army; he was easily convinced to step aside and was posted to the Nigerian High Commission in London.

They ended up in Aburi, Ghana in January 1967 for a peace conference hosted by General Joseph Ankrah. Three days later on May 30, 1967, Colonel Odumegwu-Ojukwu declared Eastern Nigeria a sovereign state to be known as BIAFRA:

"Having mandated me to proclaim on your behalf, and in your name, that Eastern Nigeria be a sovereign independent Republic, now, therefore I, Lieutenant Colonel Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria, by virtue of the authority, and pursuant to the principles recited above, do hereby solemnly proclaim that the territory and region known as and called Eastern Nigeria together with her continental shelf and territorial waters, shall, henceforth, be an independent sovereign state of the name and title of The Republic of Biafra." (Wikipedia)

The rest is history. Of course, as we know, Ojukwu was officially pardoned by President Shehu Shagari and after 13 years in exile, returned in triumph to Nigeria. At the time, it was felt that Ojukwu was used as a political pawn used by the ruling NPN of Shagari, to get the Igbo vote and was then dumped unceremoniously. A political naivety for the Ikemba, I’d say.

I have always felt that this hard, intelligent and well-educated Nigerian eventually succumbed to the Nigerian disease called sycophancy and flattery. He was severally mis-advised and fed wrong information as to the real vagaries of politics in Nigeria. Of course, being a military man, he would always be found wanting when it comes to immersing himself in that deadly unique Nigerian partisan politics, and it was no wonder his name was smeared several times, not only by the rest of Nigeria but significantly by his own people, the Igbos.

To me, Ikemba (Dim) Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu remains a Nigerian icon. He might not necessarily be seen as hero to many Nigerians, but he was one of those leaders, worthy, who shaped Nigeria. Methinks it was unfortunate he was born in this era, and probably a younger Ojukwu today, or in the last decade would have made very significantly positive contributions to the progress of this country.

To me, I will never lose respect for him. It is often the case that when people like Ojukwu die, all kinds of encomiums and eulogies will be written. Nobody will ever see him in a bad light.

To me he was a Liberator of his people; to me, he was the “Rebel Leader of Biafra”, as we used to hear in those days of the Civil War; but he was not a tribal leader, never a tribal leader. The man was too liberated, too intelligent and too educated to descend that low. This I hope we will all agree on. He did all he could to keep Nigeria one but under a very different and difficult circumstance when he could no longer see any alternative.

A privileged upbringing and best education with one of the then richest men in Nigeria as a father, Odumegwu, rather than rely on the wealth of his father, chose to enter the common workforce by joining the Civil Service and was then inclined to join the Army, all against the wishes of his father. This, even at the early beginnings, show

Mind you, Ojukwu was not a Hero, but an Icon; the reason being that it is difficult and not appropriate to label him such because, ultimately, he should take and share the blame for the millions of Igbos and other Nigerians who lost their lives as a result of the Biafra War. This is purely my opinion, and I am sure others will not agree with my use of those nouns, but one thing is that I have never perceived him as a villain of the piece. He will always be my hard-faced, bearded, strong and intelligent leader. He did what he felt he had to do then.

I have no doubt that in a different age; Ojukwu could have been the type of leader we yearn for in this confounded country of ours. Not only to the Igbos but to all who call themselves Nigerians.

When we look back and forward to the present day Nigeria and how it is being run to the ground by the corrupt, hypocritical, religious and tribal fanatics, then perhaps it is time we started looking at Dim Ojukwu in a new light.

I am never one to heap praises and eulogies on our leaders, but this is a time I have to change my stance.

A true Nigerian Icon has gone.

May his soul rest in perfect peace.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/akintokunbo-a-adejumo/the-death-of-a-nigerian-icon-the-ikemba-chukwuemeka-odimegwu-ojukwu.html
Re: Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by nku5: 6:08pm On Nov 26, 2011
Nice article that
captures ojukwu's story without bias or embellishment. The man was a special being and at the end of the day, human
Re: Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by Areosapien(f): 7:18pm On Nov 26, 2011
With the benefit of hindsight,
and considering the current and
increasingly violent fractious
situation of Nigeria, who can
blame him? I feel in fact that the
Ikemba, as Ojukwu’s title is
called, is now wholly vindicated.

Now, this is a true Yoruba son wey breastfeed belle-full; not all these shameless depraved tribalists wey just dey deceive themselves for NL with the lies and propaganda fed to them by the same leaders who are happily looting their things, impoverishing them and ultimately mortgaging their future. You have spoken well, dear Akin. God bless you.
Re: Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by Kilode1: 8:12pm On Nov 26, 2011
Ikemba! the great defender of his people.

That his enemies hated him is understandable, that his people love him is expected.

RIP Eze Gburu Gburu. sad
Re: Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by ak47mann(m): 8:37pm On Nov 26, 2011
good article cool cool
nku5:

Nice article that
nku5 link=topic=811942.msg9637852#msg9637852 date=1322327288:

Nice article that

[quote author=Areosapien link=topic=811942.msg9638227#msg9638227 date=1322331505]

Now, this is a true Yoruba son wey breastfeed belle-full; not all these shameless depraved tribalists wey just dey deceive themselves for NL with the lies and propaganda fed to them by the same leaders who are happily looting their things, impoverishing them and ultimately mortgaging their future. You have spoken well, dear Akin. God bless you.

well said bro, you are more correct than ever.
[/quote]
Re: Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by tpia5: 9:04pm On Nov 26, 2011
May he rip and no offence, but why did he keep going against his father's wishes?

I wonder what his reasons were because there's a proverb that says what some elders can see sitting down a young person cant see while standing up.
Re: Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by Areosapien(f): 9:52pm On Nov 26, 2011
May he rip and no offence, but
why did he keep going against
his father's wishes?

I'm guessing he opposed his father's plans because he didn't want to keep living under his shadow for the rest of his life. This rebellious nature is pretty common with people whose parents/relatives are famous or heavily minted. Angelina Jolie (actually Angelina Voight) and Nicholas Cage (actually Nicholas Coppola) easily come to mind. These people are rather eager to make names for themselves instead of being passed of as just being lucky for where they came from. I think Ojukwu developed that ideological urge to make his own mark instead of being known as "that completely forgettable richkid who just lives off his popsie's billions".
That's my angle.
Re: Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by Olaone1: 10:54pm On Nov 26, 2011
RIP, Eze Gburu Gburu
Re: Ojukwu - The Death Of A Nigerian Icon By Akintokunbo A Adejumo by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 26, 2011
this articule is on point, we have been blessed in this country with some good leaders. I believe this is a time for us as nigerians to thank GOD for giving us people like this( ikemba ojukwu, magaret ekpo, fumilayo ransom kuti, tafawa belewa, zik of africa, aba women rioters of 1929 et al). And to better appreciate those gifted nigerians who are still alive and have shone the light of nigeria to the world, despite our numerous challenges.

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Flags Off $100million Dollar Holiday Resort / The Fraud In Nigeria Oil Sector: A Must Read 4 Every Nigerian / Stop Boko Haram Or Watch Al- Mustapha Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.