Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,710 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Igbo Dialects - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Dialects (39419 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 10:54pm On Dec 31, 2011
Alright. Well, I'm not in any position to speak on Enugu. So yea. I guess the list will just remain as is.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:04pm On Jan 01, 2012
nedu210:

am waitin 4 to say something cos i asked him a question.
@NRI Hw many dialect ar in amambra, wat dialect do nteje speak? I hav a frnd frm the town. My wife is frm agulu eri, and the dialect she gave me look 2 central with just AWA as afa or aha. Chinenye ka anyị hafụ okwu ndị ọkunanọ, ọbụlọ ihe ahụ bụ nsogbu'm kịta. Onye nwelu onu ndi ozo ya weta, na oge na adighi anya aga'm eweta onu ndi mgbowo, mgbowo di na kansul ime obodo awgu, asusu ha kacha di iche na ime obodo awgu. Nee asusua'm ga ede anya mke ọma.  MGBOWO. Aa ngulu be ịla eme la ebee.  Sam kue emeka sa ọbia la ebea.  UGBO  Ọ ngoo bu ihe ime kahụ.   Kam kuo emeka ka ọbia kan. This two town are one clan both in awgu. Wat do u say about a town in anike awgu l.g.a that one of its village speak a very different dialect frm the other villages. Anahọkwa'm ekwu na ihe afam kwulu maka ọkunanọ bu ashi ma ya ekwukwana na nke'm bu ashi, ebe anyi enweghi onye aka ebe. Lee igbo izugbe asusu mgwowo na nke ndi ugbo ahu mu dele.    Kedu ihe ina eme ebe anwa or Ọ gini ka ina eme ebe anwa.   Kam kpọọ emeka ka obia na ebea.   Afam dialect di na enugu kacha nke di na mpayala ani igbo ndi ọzọ.

Nedu nwanne,Nteje belongs to Oyi lga and they speak an Igbo dialect similar to what the Idenmilis/Onitsha speak with some little variations. For example,Nteje will say; "wa sili" while Idenmili wil say"fa sili"

1 Like

Re: Igbo Dialects by LoveIcon: 10:47pm On Jan 01, 2012
Gini bu eha gi? Wat is ur name. Ichoru iri nri ehuodi- do u want to eat nw?- Afikpo
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 11:04pm On Jan 01, 2012
nedu210:

@obiagu being in the same l.g.a with a clan does not mean u speak de same dialect with all the clan in the l.g.a. oji river l.g.a is in enugu, and with awgu, aninri and oji, we al ar called greater awgu, But dat doesnt mean we all speak the same dialect.

Right, but I don't know the extent you want to break it down to. There are slight variations in every dialect so it depends on if you are talking about dialect or subdialect.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Obiagu1(m): 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

What do you mean by this ??
The only dialects that can stand alone here are Nnewi and Awka; you didnt add Ihiala areas but they speak a different dialect.
Idenmili,Oyi,Njikoka,DunukofiaOnitsha,Ogbaru,Anambra east/west,Ayamelum,Ekwusigo and some others I cant remenber now all speak very similar dialects with little variations.

Isuofia,awgbu,agulu,aguluezechukwu,amobia and more lga around that area speak something like what the Awka ppl speak.

There is nothing like Nri dialects and Onitsha dialects. I bet you if you hear an Idenmili and Onitsha speaking you wont be able to tell who is who.

From my experience, I think Awka town speak an entirely different dialect from everyone else.
Agulu dialect is not different from that of Njikoka dialect so in essence, we might actually have just 3 dialects in Anambra: Awka(town), Nnewi, and others smiley
Re: Igbo Dialects by redsquare(m): 11:53am On Feb 11, 2012
Core Idenmili:
Gini bu afa i = What's ur name?
Ichogo ili nni kita = Do you want to eat now?
I jero afia? = You didnt go to the market?
Asili asogbue i = You like gossip
Nwanne onwero ife na eme = Bro, nothing is happening
Bunye m oche afu = Give me that chair
Inyo gwee? = Have u returned?
Isisigo/Isichago nni = Have u finished cooking?
Iga afu ife nma eme i = You'll see what i'll do to u

1 Like

Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:53pm On Feb 11, 2012
redsquare:

Core Idenmili:
Gini bu afa i = What's ur name?
Ichogo ili nni kita = Do you want to eat now?
I jero afia? = You didnt go to the market?
Asili asogbue i = You like gossip
Nwanne onwero ife na eme = Bro, nothing is happening
Bunye m oche afu = Give me that chair
Inyo gwee? = Have u returned?
Isisigo/Isichago nni = Have u finished cooking?
Iga afu ife nma eme i = You'll see what i'll do to u

Just wondering where you are from in Idenmili,if at a ll you are from there; Reason:"inyo gwee",this is nothing but core Umuoji spoken mostly by the aged folks. The modern set dont use that phrase anymore! Tell me how much you know about the GREAT IDENMILI!
Re: Igbo Dialects by redsquare(m): 7:14am On Feb 12, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Just wondering where you are from in Idenmili,if at a ll you are from there; Reason:"inyo gwee",this is nothing but core Umuoji spoken mostly by the aged folks. The modern set dont use that phrase anymore! Tell me how much you know about the GREAT IDENMILI!
I'm a true son of the GREAT IDENMILI, i am from Oba town (we share common boundary with Umuoji). The 'inyo gwee' phrase is widely used in my town too, just like you said by the elderly. It is also well used in other Idenmili towns like Ogidi, Nkpor, Obosi and Ojoto. Idenmili/Onitsha dialect is a very unique one that one cannot mistaken. I've been following this interesting thread from the beginning and noticed that what an earlier poster Ada Ide (i dont think she knows what that means) posted was nothing close to our beautiful Idenmili dialect. Nwannem jisi ike, Idenmili ayi amaka. Daalu rinne.
Re: Igbo Dialects by pazienza(m): 4:32pm On Feb 12, 2012
redsquare:

I'm a true son of the GREAT IDENMILI, i am from Oba town (we share common boundary with Umuoji). The 'inyo gwee' phrase is widely used in my town too, just like you said by the elderly. It is also well used in other Idenmili towns like Ogidi, Nkpor, Obosi and Ojoto. Idenmili/Onitsha dialect is a very unique one that one cannot mistaken. I've been following this interesting thread from the beginning and noticed that what an earlier poster Ada Ide (i dont think she knows what that means) posted was nothing close to our beautiful Idenmili dialect. Nwannem jisi ike, Idenmili ayi amaka. Daalu rinne.

"Inyo gwee" is not used in Ogidi,not even by the elderly,maybe it's an Oba and umoji word. In Ogidi,we equally have words that other idemili towns don't use.
Re: Igbo Dialects by redsquare(m): 12:38am On Feb 13, 2012
pazienza:

"Inyo gwee" is not used in Ogidi,not even by the elderly,maybe it's an Oba and umoji word. In Ogidi,we equally have words that other idemili towns don't use.
My bad! Maybe 'Inyo gwee' is not used in Ogidi town, but i'm very sure of Obosi and Ojoto. My granny is from Obosi and she uses 'inyo gwee' up to this day to mean 'have u returned?'. I'm interested in knowing some typical Ogidi words that other Idenmili towns dont use.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:43pm On Feb 13, 2012
redsquare:

My bad! Maybe 'Inyo gwee' is not used in Ogidi town, but i'm very sure of Obosi and Ojoto. My granny is from Obosi and she uses 'inyo gwee' up to this day to mean 'have u returned?'. I'm interested in knowing some typical Ogidi words that other Idenmili towns dont use.

I agree with you that there are some words that are exclusive to each town in Idenmili but I dont wanna hurriedly believe Ogidi dont use "inyo gwee". I will like to know if you grew up in Ogidi and how old where you when you left. Myself was born in Jos but I was mostly raised in Benin and Lagos,though I spent sometime in Umuoji and thats how I get to understand some of core Umuoji dialects.
Re: Igbo Dialects by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:45pm On Feb 13, 2012
Sorry redsquare,the post was made for PAZIENZA.
Re: Igbo Dialects by finezlord: 5:11pm On Mar 29, 2012
English Abiriba.

how are you? ime aghu or ime aghi

come and eat. bia rie ife

i love you . afumughu enya or ifeghi dim mma

what it your name? iza ngini

how is everything? ife di aghi

money okpogho

Greatings. we say kaa for both morning,afternoon and evening.

happy new year. apigbuo nne oyere.

come and see me off. bia dupum

well done . toghu hu

good night. ka abali cheghi

wife. mie

husband. ji

yam. ndi

God. obasi di elu though we sometimes use chukwu.

a thief. onye oshi
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 10:42pm On Mar 31, 2012
finezlord: English Abiriba.

how are you? ime aghu or ime aghi

come and eat. bia rie ife

i love you . afumughu enya or ifeghi dim mma

what it your name? iza ngini

how is everything? ife di aghi

money okpogho

Greatings. we say kaa for both morning,afternoon and evening.

happy new year. apigbuo nne oyere.

come and see me off. bia dupum

well done . toghu hu

good night. ka abali cheghi

wife. mie

husband. ji

yam. ndi

God. obasi di elu though we sometimes use chukwu.

a thief. onye oshi

Abiriba kwenu! Nwanne imeela
You have represented the Abiriba people well.
Re: Igbo Dialects by obyphy: 4:50am On Apr 01, 2012
Oguta- Imo State
How are you? Omena aha
Do you want to eat now? I choro iri ini duduna

shocked cheers
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 1:38am On Apr 02, 2012
obyphy: Oguta- Imo State
How are you? Omena aha
Do you want to eat now? I choro iri ini duduna

shocked cheers

Thank you, my brother.

@All
Here's the list so far. Will we get any more? I'm hoping to see Edda.

Arochukwu
Isinweke
Ugbo
Onicha
Abiriba
Owere
Item
Agbor
Nsuka
Nkanu
Ikwere
Riverine/Ukwuani/Oguta/Oru
Idemili
Elai
Isiala Mbano
Ohafia
Ututu
Awka
Aboh ni Ndoni
Ihechiowa
Arondizuogu
Mbaise
Ezeagu
Nike
Afikpo
Ngwo
Re: Igbo Dialects by chanty: 6:06pm On Apr 03, 2012
No language like igbo-onweghi asusu dika asusu igbo.
Re: Igbo Dialects by chanty: 9:33pm On Apr 03, 2012
@oby u did not speak the oguta well.
Re: Igbo Dialects by plezant(f): 8:17pm On Apr 07, 2012
Redsquare u r correct on inyo gwee. My Mum still use dt term till date. I m frm Nnobi
Re: Igbo Dialects by ejiyke2007(m): 11:13pm On Jul 26, 2012
mbatuku2: Is Isu/Isuama a dialect of Igbo or a clan name? I heard the first Bible in Igboland was an Isuama Bible. How come no one mentioned it?
there is LGA in Imo state that is called Isu and you can also read this ok http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isu_people[
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 1:18am On Sep 03, 2012
I miss this thread. Any more contributions?
Re: Igbo Dialects by toshmann(m): 2:50pm On Sep 03, 2012
Dialect agwula! grin
Ichoro ka ayi suwazie Greek? angry
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 5:09pm On Sep 03, 2012
Lol grin

O ka foro. Anyi ahubeghi Etche, Ndoki, Ahoada, Izzi, Ikwo, Abam, Ezza, Urata, ma o bu Ngwa.

Since most Igbo Nairalanders are from either Anambra or Imo, we've seen mostly Anambra and Imo dialects.
Re: Igbo Dialects by Afam4eva(m): 5:14pm On Sep 03, 2012
odumchi: Lol

O ka foro. Anyi ahubeghi Etche, Ndoki, Ahoada, Izzi, Ikwo, Abam, Ezza, Urata, ma o bu Ngwa.

Since most Igbo Nairalanders are from either Anambra or Imo, we've seen mostly Anambra and Imo dialects.
Enugu and Abia too.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 5:21pm On Sep 03, 2012
afam4eva:
Enugu and Abia too.

Yes.
Re: Igbo Dialects by toshmann(m): 6:39pm On Sep 03, 2012
Eche m na owerre na uratta wu otu. Asusu ha di similar. Amaghi m de difference. Odika asusu amaraku mbano vs añara mbano. Owu otu ihe ahu.
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2012
toshmann: Eche m na owerre na uratta wu otu. Asusu ha di similar. Amaghi m de difference. Odika asusu amaraku mbano vs añara mbano. Owu otu ihe ahu.

Ha di kwa iche kama ihe gbara ha iche adighi nnukwu. M biara mata na ha di iche mgbe m bidoro egwu Oriental Brothers (ndi na asu Owere) na nke ndi Peacocks International (ndi na asukari Urata).

Ka m juo gi: Isiala Mbano na Iheme Mbano ana asukata?
Re: Igbo Dialects by ChinenyeN(m): 7:14pm On Sep 03, 2012
Isn't Owere Uratta, or at least part of the Uratta family?
Re: Igbo Dialects by toshmann(m): 7:36pm On Sep 03, 2012
odumchi:

Ha di kwa iche kama ihe gbara ha iche adighi nnukwu. M biara mata na ha di iche mgbe m bidoro egwu Oriental Brothers (ndi na asu Owere) na nke ndi Peacocks International (ndi na asukari Urata).

Ka m juo gi: Isiala Mbano na Iheme Ehime Mbano ana asukata?

To me ha wu otu asusu ahu. But o wu nna m ka I ga aju nke ahu. Nna m ga AMA de difference. But o ga awu very minor difference.
ChinenyeN: Isn't Owere Uratta, or at least part of the Uratta family?
Uratta is different from owerre. But in modern times uratta is part of owerri
Re: Igbo Dialects by odumchi: 5:04am On Sep 04, 2012
toshmann:
To me ha wu otu asusu ahu. But o wu nna m ka I ga aju nke ahu. Nna m ga AMA de difference. But o ga awu very minor difference.

Kedu kwan otu nna gi si eru m aka? Lol.

O nwere enyi ezi-na-ulo m bu onye Mbano, asusu ya na asusu ndi Imo nile (na-agunyeghi nke ndi Owere/Urata/Oguta/Ideato) na adakata m ka otu na nti. Ihe m ji mara ndi Imo unu bu otu a unu na asu "shi-shi".
Re: Igbo Dialects by toshmann(m): 8:18pm On Sep 04, 2012
"shi-shi" wu ndi owerri

nnam nu n'ulo, ojighi ekwenti, ojighi email address, ochoghi new technology, lol, aga m aju ya maka asusu di iche iche
Re: Igbo Dialects by AndreUweh(m): 8:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
@Odumchi, most Isiala Mbano speak same dialect. But Ehime is different. In Ehime Mbano, communities such as Nsu,Nzerem and Umunumu speak the same dialect spoken in Isinweke/Obowu axis. Though Umualuwaku up to Aba branch are different but it is closeer to Isinweke/Obowu dialects.
For example in Isinweke/Obowu dialect=Ogbalaghala (he has ran away)is same in all parts of Ehime but not same in Isiala.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Buhari Oloto Is Dead / Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.