Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,857 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? (3245 Views)

I Need A Help To Write A Simple Login Form Using Vb.net / Vb.net Crystal Report & Dataset / Post Ur Vb 6.0 Questions Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by Beaf: 7:20am On Nov 29, 2011

[size=14pt]Should I abandon VB.Net?[/size]
by Christiaan Baes (chrissie1) on Feb 28, 2011 in categories Professional Development

Should I abandon VB.Net? This is a question that crosses my mind from time to time, but lately it is getting stronger. At least it would make my life simpler. Copy paste coding gets even better when you are a C# programmer since there are so much more examples out there. The community is bigger and better for C#. Even Microsoft discourages the use of VB.Net. If you ever go to something like techdays you will find that VB.Net is nowhere to be found. In that community you will be mocked and ridiculed if you tell them you are a VB.Net programmer. You are looked down upon, even by the spaghetti programmers. But then the .Net community seems to be rude and unfriendly whatever you do. I noticed that when I did my little powershell series over the weekend.

So the question crosses my mind if I was wrong to choose VB.Net and to choose Winforms. I guess the same questions are asked by the VB6 community. And the Delphi community. Apparently even the WPF community is already feeling the love draining away. Did you notice these are all Microsoft communities. Microsoft seems to be in the habit of creating things and then abandoning them for the next big thing without even trying to make it easy for people to convert their old code.

Do you know how hard it is to even find VB.Net developer on the web that have great blogs? I guess most of them decided to blog in C# instead and get more out of the experience or else they are just not there.

I have been trying to convince Scott Hanselman to incorporate a few lines of VB.Net in his keynote for the 2011 Belgian Techdays. It feels like an uphill battle. Considering the result of this poll I think he will be even less inclined now.

I don't blame them, they are in the business of making money and they should do what they think they have to do.

Do I think I should change because of all of the reasons above? Nope, not any time soon. I will keep using VB.Net and winforms for as long as I can and that will be awhile. Rewriting an application just because of a new technology is not a good move, it looses you money in the short and long term. You are better of adding features to your existing application.

The first thing to think about when things like this arise, is if they add value to your situation. Don't change things for the sake of change, change things for the better. Let's not forget that even the best and brightest get it wrong.

I guess being philosophical from time to time comes with old age.

http://blogs.lessthandot.com/index.php/ITProfessionals/ProfessionalDevelopment/should-i-abandon-vb-net
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by Beaf: 7:23am On Nov 29, 2011
And I says, yes sir! You would be a fools nots to do that. All our code are C# and all our tutorial are C#, Microsofts are code C#.
J# die, VB die follow.
You are code Vb, you are die.

In simple English, abandon VB.NET for your own good or risk becoming a dinosaur.
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 30, 2011
This is serious mehn. When the .NET rave started - i heard all of them get the same power - so naturally i picked vb.net
but i was too engrossed in web development and just abandoned everything.
But i heard that it was C# that was the main then sha - to create controls and all that. So now you are saying VB.NET is obsolete?

That one go mean civil war be that o - because ha!!!
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by naijaswag1: 5:20pm On Nov 30, 2011
If microsoft dont support vb anymore why stick with it expect you have applications to support developed with vb.

I don't know about microsoft frameworks except that i heard about it but last weekend i helped a student do a little assignment in vb.it was then i became clear that vb is equivalent to swing or swt in java  or qt in c++(if am correct)instead of abandoning vb dive into microsoft .NET framework where you can use windows foundation classes over c++ or c#(i hope am still correct).let me share an experience,am currently designing a software and i had cause to design the interface to mimic windows 7 ribbons and floating tool bars and it was then that realized the ugliness of java's swing.i had to surf the internet for days to find an open source support in java  which is fraught with bugs.

So what did i decide,i will have to learn some .NET soon if i must come up with dazzling user friendly interfaces.so abandon vb6 embrace .NET.
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by Nobody: 3:43am On Dec 01, 2011
The sooner VB is dropped off the face of the earth, the sooner we can all enjoy coding again.
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by Beaf: 11:39am On Dec 01, 2011
*dhtml:

This is serious mehn. When the .NET rave started - i heard all of them get the same power - so naturally i picked vb.net
but i was too engrossed in web development and just abandoned everything.
But i heard that it was C# that was the main then sha - to create controls and all that. So now you are saying VB.NET is obsolete?

That one go mean civil war be that o - because ha!!!

It was obsolete from the first day it was created. Just like J# and JScript.
VB.NET was simply a tool to get VB users on the .NET bandwagon, it wasa always the much abused foster child. I came down the path of Perl, Java, VBScript to VB.NET. But even in those early days, it was easy to read the tea leaves and see that VB.NET was a dead end. I am happy I made the switch long ago.
There is so much you can gain with C#; outside Windows, there are native implementations like Vala (there are also LLVM compilers) and there is Mono for Linux. The syntax is an easy bridge for learners to other languages like C++ and Java. Aside from the sort of support MS gives C#, practically all advanced .NET examples and tutorials on the web are in C#.

Microsofts greatest trick on VB.NET users is to get top developers preaching against VB.NET (for PR reasons, it is understandable why they don't do it directly).
The parts of Vista and Windows 7 that are written in the .NET Framework are written in C#. Nuff said.

VB.NET is a dead end
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by netghost: 4:20pm On Dec 01, 2011
i used to be a big fan of vb6 back in school, 'waste of programming time' thats what i call it, cos moving to c relate languages was kind of hard, i expected everything to be vb inclined , story for another day
in my opinion everything with 'VB' attached to it, died with the basic programming language before they were ever created,
C# rocks grin grin
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by Mobinga: 11:12am On Dec 11, 2011
netghost:

i used to be a big fan of vb6 back in school, 'waste of programming time' thats what i call it, cos moving to c relate languages was kind of hard, i expected everything to be vb inclined , story for another day
in my opinion everything with 'VB' attached to it, died with the basic programming language before they were ever created,
C# rocks grin grin

You're indirectly saying the "Microsofts Java Port Rocks"

grin LMFAO.
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by netghost: 8:49pm On Dec 11, 2011
Mobinga:

grin LMFAO.

You wish , LOL
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by AMGT10: 7:25pm On Jun 08, 2012
Yeah VB is useless tongue
Well I'm LMAOing as I pull in $Bleep,Bleep a year coding VB business apps.
The only people who hate VB are those who have never used it.
It's true that C# has become more popular, but that's for purely psychological reasons.
C# devs think they are better than VB devs, even though the .NET framework is exactly the same for each language!
So, you carry on learning VB. It's not going anywhere anytime soon and you too can just enjoy the $$$ you'll earn by using it grin
Re: A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net? by AMGT10: 7:26pm On Jun 08, 2012
Mobinga:

grin LMFAO.

Clearly you never used J++. It's JIT was way ahead of Sun's.
Why comment on things you know nothing about? You are a very sad person.

(1) (Reply)

Is Computer Science Course Hard?? / What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? / Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.