Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,973 members, 7,799,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

Is Piety The Only Beauty? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is Piety The Only Beauty? (1207 Views)

Ten Prescriptions For Attaining Total Piety (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Piety The Only Beauty? by deols(f): 7:47am On Nov 29, 2011
This is from Muslim Matters.org- it is a must read. Not only for sisters but evry1.http://muslimmatters.org/2011/11/28/is-the-only-beauty-piety/

One day a sister dropped by to pick up something and saw me dressed up with make-up and jewelry, so she assumed I was going somewhere. When I told her I wasn’t, the reason I dressed up surprised her. I told her, “Because it is about time for my husband to return from work.” She said, “You still get ready for your husband?” “Yes, what do you mean “still”?!” I asked. She said, “I used to do that in the beginning of the marriage and then I don’t it anymore.”

Unfortunately this is a common scenario among many Muslim married sisters. In fact, one of the most common complaints husbands have against their wives is that the wives don’t beautify themselves at home.

I have personally observed many Muslim sisters stop taking care of themselves once they get married. Some married sisters only dress up when they go out and while others don’t even bother with that. For some, abaya and hijab become a perfect “cover up” for outside the house and a t-shirt and sweat pants become the perfect lounge-wear for inside the house!

Reasons Why Sisters Don’t Dress Up:
I cannot generalize the reasons why sisters stop taking interest in taking care of themselves at home, but I want to highlight 2 main points:

.Once married to a practicing brother, sisters assume their knight in shining armor won’t be interested in their looks but, rather, in their imaan. They believe their beauty lies in their “piety.”
. Husbands don’t express their desire in seeing their wives dressed up. Or, when their wives dress up, they don’t bother to compliment them, which confuses the wife into thinking, “He does not care.”

Beauty and Piety are Two Separate Characteristics:
Let’s remember, piety may add to a person’s inner beauty which may reflect through physical appearance; however, they both are independent characteristics.

There is no prohibition in looking good; in fact, to physically beautify oneself to please one’s husband and keep him happy is not only a praiseworthy act but also a means to earn reward from Allah azza wa jall.

When the Prophet sallallahu alihi wasalam was asked which woman was best, he replied, “The one who pleases (her husband) when he looks at her, obeys him when he gives a command….” (Nasa’i)

Hence, sisters, please on a daily basis before your husband returns home:

-Take a shower (make sure you are not smelling like food)
- Change your clothes.
-Wash your face with cleanser/scrub.
- Put light make up on. Please don’t use the excuse, “I don’t know how to.”
- Wear some jewelry.
- Show some creativity with your hair. Remember frizzy hair can be taken care of with gel, mousse, hair spray, hair straightener etc.
-Use your perfume everyday and not only when you visit a friend.

Moreover, try to get a facial done once in a while. If you can’t afford to, there are millions of products available at very reasonable prices for home facials/deep cleaning.

Dear sisters, abaya should not be used to cover up weight gain, and neither should the hijab keep frizzy/unkempt hair covered. I understand that a t-shirt and sweat pants are the most comfortable clothing but it needs to be changed before your husband get back home.

Husbands: Pay Attention & Don’t be Stingy with Words:
In the early days of marriage, since husbands are “new,” it is important to look good. As the time passes and the couple becomes more comfortable around each other, it is only natural to become more informal. I remember the first time I wore my glasses in front of my husband was after SIX months of our marriage!

Compliments are incentives for looking good. For non-hijaabis it is easier to stay focused about their looks since their appearance is visible in public.

On the other hand, once a person is covered behind abaya and hijaab, it is easier to become careless about one’s appearance; besides, “who is going to look?”. This is where a husband’s attention and compliments become essential. A wife desires attention from her husband. If she feels her husband appreciates her dressing up and taking care of herself, it will encourage her to take care of herself. Hence, husbands please:

Pay attention to your wife on a daily basis
Show interest in her looks, clothes and her overall appearance
Encourage her by buying her clothes you would like her to wear
When she is dressed up, make sure you praise her.
When she is not, remind her gently

Marriage is a mutual bond of understanding and give and take. This issue, too, requires an effort on both sides.

And finally, it’s never too late to start young. Parents, some advice for your young girls:

Train your daughters to take care of themselves from a young age.
Instill a habit of working out regularly so they become accustomed to maintaining their physique.
Allow them to wear jewelry at home and even let them experiment with make up so when they get married and should be adorning themselves for their husbands, the intimidation factor isn’t there. Wearing make-up and jewelry won’t become a burden, but rather a daily ritual.
Train them to dress nicely and keep a pleasant demeanor every day at home in front of their family.

By taking these subtle steps you prepare them for some lifelong habits that will only make their marital life more pleasant inshaAllah.
Re: Is Piety The Only Beauty? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 29, 2011
I love this!
Re: Is Piety The Only Beauty? by bxox: 12:22pm On Jul 04, 2012
I agree fully! I'm not married yet, and I was a hijabi since I was 12 (5 years now!). And I also dress modestly too, not those jeggings with tight-tight shirts some girls wear (but all for their own, i don't judge whats right or wrong. And I pray 5 times a day (inshallah I will continue like this untill I die smiley

Even though no one sees my body basically, I work out like crazyyy!! Its really extremelly hard sometimes doing muscle training and toning shocked but its SO worth it! It makes you so happy, and SO confident (especially as a muslim sis!). I take extremely good care of my skin too, and exfoliate use creams, stay out of the sun etc. And I'm very good with makeup (very good cheesy). I'm not gonna lie, I "know" my body is attractive, and even though no one sees it, I feel healthy + confident. Random people on the streets told me I was "so beautiful" (and i wear a hijab). And sometimes I do feel the pressure, I mean, I work out and have the most awesome long hair i grew out to my butt! i have a flat flat stomach, toned legs arms etc. but no one sees it, since I never wear body revealing clothes...but then I think, if a guy likes me like I am NOW, thats whats important. I want someone to like me before seeing my hair or body. That's another reason why i love wearing the hijab

And the reason why i take care of myself is[b] not[/b] because of my future husband, smiley nope not at all. thats not a valid reason to take care of yourself (if you want to continue to take care of yourself, DO IT FOR YOUR HAPPINESS!! thats the MOST important reason sisters, or else its not gonna continue. like the first poster said, most sisters stop taking care of themselves after marriage and getting used to the husband. if you did it for yourself, then you wouldn't "stop" smiley

If anyone needs help on getting into shape, loosing weight, makeup tips, you can message me!
-Aish B.

And I would like to point out, if you are attractive and workout etc. you will be able to get a guy who also works out! Personally, I will never marry a guy who isn't attractive (to me) and doesn't work out...well inshallah I won't. grin Because why do I have to marry someone who I'm not attracted to, when they will marry someone they are attracted to, you know? wink

I SERIOUSLY hope there is a post just like this for brothers! They need something like this!
Re: Is Piety The Only Beauty? by snubish: 3:27pm On Jul 04, 2012
Salam alaikum bxox, honest and mature post there. u obviously get the hang of it, and are starting on the right foot. u sound like u live in the west and it must be hard practicing your deen over there. the idea is balance: in your religion(spiritual affairs), mental, and physical; but with a preponderant tilt of the balance towards your deen, the others would fall into place inshAllahu. i see from your post u,re still young, may Allah AzzawaJal direct your steps.

deols, zayhal,. . . . kindly put up a post.
ma salam.
Re: Is Piety The Only Beauty? by deols(f): 10:40am On Aug 17, 2012
@bxox and @snubish,

I doubt that I read your replies until now. very great contributions there.

(1) (Reply)

My Mum Angry/disown Me Over My Wife / The beautiful Fruits Of Islamic Missions In Yorubaland / Richard Dawkins Embarrasses Muslim Interviewer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.