Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra (12711 Views)

President Jonathan At Oronto Douglas' Burial In Yenagoa,Bayelsa Today(photos) / Governor T.A Orji Booed, Pelted At Bishop Ezeonyia's Burial In Aba! / Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by chino11(m): 12:00pm On Nov 29, 2011
Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Landing In Anambra For Burial

STATESMEN are usually given state burial but former Biafran Leader, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, will get more than that. His body will be flown to three African countries and one American country before the final burial in his Nnewi country home, according to his will.

Anambra State Governor, Mr. Peter Obi, who gave the indication, yesterday, in Awka said that Odumegwu-Ojukwu listed where his body would be taken to before burial.

The countries are nations that supported the Biafran struggle and recognised Biafra as an independent state. They are Gabon, Tanzania, Ivory Coast and Haiti

At the end of the civil war, Ojukwu sought asylum in Ivory Coast from where he returned to Nigeria in 1982 when he was granted state pardon by former President Shehu Shagari

Obi who reiterated the determination of Nigerians to give the leader of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, a befitting burial, added that arrangements for the burial would soon be announced.

He said that government activities had been scaled down as a mark of respect for Ojukwu, adding that only very necessary activities would be taking place in the state.

Meanwhile, condolence registers have been opened in various places in Anambra State for people to record their feelings about the late Ikemba. An announcement in Awka named the places as the Government House, the state secretariat, the judiciary headquarters, the House of Assembly complex and all the 21 local government headquarters in the state.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/ojukwus-body-to-tour-4-countries-before-burial/
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Dede1(m): 12:04pm On Nov 29, 2011
@OP

Please tell the organizing committee to include Zambia.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by kasiem(m): 12:22pm On Nov 29, 2011
Israel should not be left out
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by chino11(m): 12:25pm On Nov 29, 2011
Kasie kedu ije? Isreal should be on that list because of Igbo descendancy factor, but we are more interested on those countries that had direct positive impacts on the Biafran nation. I don't think Zambia played any role on the Republic of Biafra. Please enlighten me. Tx
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by namfav(m): 12:27pm On Nov 29, 2011
these is the first time, what a big waste of money
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by chino11(m): 12:32pm On Nov 29, 2011
^

Must you comment on every topic? What could be more waste of money and human resources than the ones your almajiri senators Dume and co. govs are doing in your backward north.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by aloyemeka1: 12:35pm On Nov 29, 2011
Pirates watch out for a big kill.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:44pm On Nov 29, 2011
Are we forgetting France and China?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by kasiem(m): 12:51pm On Nov 29, 2011
chino, do u remember that israel just had their bilateral relationship with nigeria rebuilt in 1995 cos of their role in the biafran struggle? Israel was one of the main countries that sent biafrans mercenaries during war, so they suppose reap from this historic honor.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by violent(m): 12:51pm On Nov 29, 2011
what a waste!
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:54pm On Nov 29, 2011
I suppose Ojukwu wishes has to be followed but it wouldn't harm anybody to add a few more countries of our own relatively. I mean we go by his example. Just saying!! cool
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by namfav(m): 12:55pm On Nov 29, 2011
so getting a corpse which can't speak or show gratiude for whatever, that you have to pay for, is reaping from honor?

kasiem:

chino, do u remember that israel just had their bilateral relationship with nigeria rebuilt in 1995 cos of their role in the biafran struggle? Israel was one of the main countries that sent biafrans mercenaries during war, so they suppose reap from this historic honor.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by chino11(m): 12:57pm On Nov 29, 2011
kasiem:

Yea got that.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Dede1(m): 12:57pm On Nov 29, 2011
chino11:

Kasie kedu ije? Isreal should be on that list because of Igbo descendancy factor, but we are more interested on those countries that had direct positive impacts on the Biafran nation. I don't think Zambia played any role on the Republic of Biafra. Please enlighten me. Tx

Zambia is one of the four African countries that publicly and politically recognized Biafra as a nation.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by kasiem(m): 1:09pm On Nov 29, 2011
namfav:

so getting a corpse which can't speak or show gratiude for whatever, that you have to pay for, is reaping from honor?

i normally dont honor cows with a reply. Invest more of ur time in getting ur land rid of leprosy. polio, bombing, illiteracy, almajirism, tes tse fly, poverty etc
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by chino11(m): 1:17pm On Nov 29, 2011
^

Don't spare anytime with that almajiri. Do you know that average northerner is a terrorist, they could have bombed social networks sites as NL if they can find a way? So this nama namfav is a possible extremist grin grin
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Metalgoong(m): 1:30pm On Nov 29, 2011
kasiem:

i normally dont honor cows with a reply. Invest more of your time in getting your land rid of leprosy. polio, bombing, illiteracy, almajirism, tes tse fly, poverty etc

Nwanne have mercy on the Hausa Muturu Ndama . . LMAO grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by hercules07: 1:52pm On Nov 29, 2011
It was not because of Biafra that Nigeria had strained relationships with Israel, it was because of the attack on Egypt and some other Arab countries, you guys should get your facts right.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2011
I encourage the burial committee to go out of their way to do more than this simple wish of the ikemba himself. Whoever doesn't like the idea should try a dive in the lagoon.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Dele99: 2:09pm On Nov 29, 2011
Ojukwu is dead and so he deserves to be buried honorably. He was loved by his people even when others see him differently. Personally I like his courage for fighting for what he believed and stood for.But the idea of touring so many countries does not sound cool to me as it makes no sense i might be wrong on this but instead of this tour his people should look at his life and emulate his good side and try to achieve the good things he once sought for his people
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Bawss1(m): 2:10pm On Nov 29, 2011
Of what use is this tour to the soul of the man who has passed away? We should do away with things that have no bearing in the real scheme of things - indeed that might even be an obstacle in the path of the one concerned.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by drone99(m): 2:20pm On Nov 29, 2011
"Isreal should be on that list because of Igbo descendancy factor" seriously, what's the connection?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by ak4God(m): 2:24pm On Nov 29, 2011
NIGERIANS CAN SO LOVE YOU WHEN YOU ARE DEAD! 4 Ndi-Igbo SO LOVED Dim Odumegwu Ojukwu that he lost the senatorial election in 1983 to a political neophyte, Dr. Edwin Onwudiwe of NPP & NEVER WON ANY ELECTION IN IGBO-LAND till date. Nigerians LOVED Gani Fawehinmi so much that they voted for him under-whelmingly and he never won any election in Nigeria. Obafemi Awolowo became THE BEST PRESIDENT NIGERIA NEVER HAD he ‘lost’ to another political neophyte Shehu Shagari who got the attention of ever progressive Nigerians. The list is endless, to really feel the NIGERIAN LOVE die first!
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by slimyem: 2:25pm On Nov 29, 2011
what a waste of time and resources!
Why not use the proposed funds to better the lives of the people of Anambra state.
Of what use is a dead-body tour??
When  will our leaders learn to make use of their brain and stop thinking with their a$$es?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2011
Haiti!!! I didnt know Haiti was on our side but I know the full history of Haiti. . . I know for sure that those slaves that settled there came mostly from the Igbo nation,Congo, senegalese and Ghana,and they fought the French slave masters, defeated them and chased them out of Haiti and destroyed their sugarcane plantation!!! Very brave bunch!! They still practice their African religion there and they know where in Africa their ancestors came from. I was surprise when a history proffesor said most of them were Igbos. So, I am not surprised Haiti aligned with us during the war!! Its more than coincidence!! Haiti is one black nation that gives me immense pride!!
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by MissEZ(f): 2:31pm On Nov 29, 2011
I believe that the Igbo peope have every right to be proud of Ojukwu for fighting for their cause. However, i really dont see the value of carrying a dead body to three different countries. Not only is it a waste of resources, it doesnt really serve any purpose. Why not use the money instead to set up a foundation that awards scholarships in his name, this will be more beneficial to maybe to Igbo people since he was their leader.

Before you Igbo people begin to insult me, lets be honest, if this was something done for another political leader from a different tribe, people from other tribes will equally criticize it. I know the tendency is to defend our own, but we really should learn to be fair across the board. Anyhow it was his last wish and it is going to be paid for either by the family or the eastern governors. Make una carry go.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by drone99(m): 2:31pm On Nov 29, 2011
"I was surprise when a history professor said most of them were Igbos". Really? Lol
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Gbawe: 2:31pm On Nov 29, 2011
Why would anyone join issues with what a man wishes to be done after his death? Is it your money being spent ?  If this is Ojukwu's instruction then you should respect it !!! We will all die. It is our right to leave instructions our family, loved ones and admirers may feel duty bound to honour after our death !!!! Abeg , let us stop this nonsense of just talking for the sake of it or because we dislike cetrain individuals. If Ojukwu's wishes can be carried out by those who love him, then so be it !!! kilode ?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Gbawe: 2:38pm On Nov 29, 2011
Miss EZ:

I believe that the Igbo peope have every right to be proud of Ojukwu for fighting for their cause. However, i really dont see the value of carrying a dead body to three different countries. Not only is it a waste of resources, it doesnt really serve any purpose. Why not use the money instead to set up a foundation that awards scholarships in his name, this will be more beneficial to maybe to Igbo people since he was their leader.

Look, it is the man's instruction for crying out loud !!! Would you like it , after you die, for your loved one to reject the instructions you gave that were dear to you yet not really bothersome to anyone else? You mention waste of resources. Is it your resources that will be wasted? You arrogantly say it doesnt really serve any purpose without realising that this is only meant to "serve a purpose" to the dead man, his loved ones and admirers. If those folks are happy to oblige ojukwu, then what is your problem? Abeg, if possible, the man's will should be done. Folks make far more bizarre demands than this and those who loved them in life obliged their last wishes unquestioningly. That is what loving and enduringly respecting someone ,even beyond death, is about.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by ak4God(m): 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2011
Igbokwenu!!!!4 countries is too small, dey shud tour him thru out d whole world, lol
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by manchy7531: 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2011
@namfav

Nwanne have mercy on the Hausa Muturu Ndama . . LMAO

Ewu kaya nma!!

Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2011
kasiem:

i normally dont honor cows with a reply. Invest more of your time in getting your land rid of leprosy. polio, bombing, illiteracy, almajirism, tes tse fly, poverty etc

Mortal Kombat Brutality  grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Four Rail Lines’ll Be Completed This Year –FG / Explosions: Ogun Issues Temporary Ban On Sale Of Industrial Gas / Arthur Jarvis University-1st Private University In Cross River State Under Const

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.