Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,450 members, 7,781,302 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:03 PM

GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods (2653 Views)

I Want To Patronise LAPO.... I Need Professional Advice / Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas / Jonathan Orders FG Parastatals To Patronise Nigerian Made Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by Beaf: 1:27am On Dec 01, 2011
[size=14pt]Jonathan Tasks Nigerians over Locally Produced Goods[/size]
30 Nov 2011
By Ahamefula Ogbu in Abuja

President Goodluck Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan Tuesday set the tone for patronising locally made goods when he formally presented made in Nigeria cassava flour bread which he said he will eat till he leaves power and charged Nigerians to tame their exotic taste for foreign goods.

He after presenting the bread which he said he has been eating for the past one week, directed the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economic Team, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Minister of National Planning, Shamsudeen Usman, Minister of Trade and Investment, Dr. Olusegun Aganga, Minister of Agriculture Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina and the Chief Economic Adviser to the President, Professor Nwanze Okidigbe to meet and fashion out policies that will grant incentives to users of the cassava flour in their production lines.

Jonathan after the presentation opened it and gave some to the Vice President and ate some before other members of the Council opened theirs and ate. He said preference for foreign goods was damaging the economy through importation which must stop for the economy to grow.

“When the Hon Minister brought some samples to me about a week ago and that is the only bread I have been eating since this past one week. I think it is proper for us in Council to formally present this bread to Nigerian. I have been eating this bread for the past one week and I will continue to eat only this bread until I leave State House.

“We must encourage what we have. Other countries that became great did not wake up one day and become great. If you look at the history of a country like China at a time they closed their door and restructured everything, begin to think again and by the time they opened their doors, the rest is known by all of us. For us as a nation to move forward we must also tame our exotic taste, we must tame our exotic taste. Some of the things we bring from outside is not even as good as what we even have within our country.

“And I believe with this, so many of the people who produce bread will start to use different per cent ages of cassava flour. After this presentation, the Coordinating Minister of the economy will meet with Minister of National Planning, Minister of Trade and Investment, Minister of Agriculture and the Chief Economic Adviser to the President to come up with policies that we will adopt to encourage those who use cassava flour for their manufacturing processes and certain other activities that encourage the use of use cassava flour because we have to give them incentives to encourage them,” he said.

Jonathan further praised another snack which was made out of Cassava and bean which he said would be good for school feeding since it has all the components of balanced diet and charged that more insight should be given to how best to harness local resources to attend to local needs.

Earlier, Adesina had while introducing the product noted that Nigerian was the highest producer of cassava in the world with 34 million tons per annum but regretted that that she adds zero value to product locally.

He said processing the product will save Nigeria which spends N656 billion yearly on flour import, create jobs and put more money in the hands of Nigerian farmers which will in turn create wealth since it is a substitute that will be locally produced.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-tasks-nigerians-over-locally-produced-goods/103987/
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by Beaf: 1:32am On Dec 01, 2011
The president said government would introduce policies aimed at encouraging producers to use cassava flour to produce bread.

He, therefore, directed Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the Minister of Finance and the Coordinating Minister of the Economy, to liaise with some cabinet members to come up with a strategy of granting incentives to bread producers who used the cassava flour.

Jonathan recalled that the cassava flour project began during the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo to encourage the use of at least 10 per cent of cassava flour in bread-making.

The president and all the cabinet members attending the meeting took turns to taste the bread.

http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/9315/2011/11/30/jonathan_presents_cassava_bread_recommends_same_state_house.html
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by Kx: 9:34am On Dec 01, 2011
I hope they wont be selling Tapioka and kpokpo garri as bread o!
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by anonimi: 9:43am On Dec 01, 2011
oga Jona has to go beyond show just for show sake.
I hope he does not eat imported rice or eat/drink other imported food/juice/beer/liauor etc.
Btw, he should declare how much savings his new personal policy of patronising local products will be made to the multi-million naira Aso Rock food budget.
We are waiting to hear the savings projection from Abati. Until then his gesture will be considered a joke on us.
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by omoajiri(m): 9:56am On Dec 01, 2011
las bolas grande amigo!
finally,the boy is growing.
bros J,u go still dey chop the cassa bread wen u comot state house?
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by ifebosco: 10:41am On Dec 01, 2011
the idea is a patriotic one, but Mr.president should make sure that nafdac help us with quality control to improve the standard of made in Nigeria products
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by onmyown(m): 10:43am On Dec 01, 2011
yeah like he did by approving for the importation of ordinary waste bin receptacles from the uk a while back.
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by HisMajesty1(m): 10:56am On Dec 01, 2011
Y not order dat our borders be partially closed to the importation of some products, to spur us to invent more locally made products like China did, and see the outcome within a few years??
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by jascon1(m): 10:58am On Dec 01, 2011
this is a nice one. anyways, this falls by the way. we have pressing needs that without them your made in Nigeria policy will crumble. "GIVE US STABLE AND RELIABLE POWER", sheekena!
many investors move to S/Africa and Ghana cos we dont have stable power. how can u encourage "made in Nigeria" when producers have no power to "MAKE"?
MAKE our refineries function! u are tasking us to patronise locally made goods and u are importing externally made fuel??
go brush your teeth and learn how to talk. until i see the president himself buying bole or roasted corn by from the woman by the roadside, then i will listen to his sermon on the MOUTH
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by texazzpete(m): 11:32am On Dec 01, 2011
This is an insult to ordinary Nigerians from GEJ.

His Government approved the importation of plastic dustbins from the UK, even when we have tens of major plastics companies in Nigeria. His Govt officials routinely travel overseas on taxpayers money for medical checkups. He has made zero effort to ensure that the gasoline consumed by Nigerians is largely from our local refineries.

Yet they will come and condescendingly tell us to patronise local products!

Abeg, Mr GEJ, some of us pay massive taxes to the FG and in return are provided shoddy roads, poor electricity, no potable water and poor security. Please do not presume to tell us how we should spend our money! angry

As a consumer, I will buy whatever makes the most value for my money.
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by ov: 12:06pm On Dec 01, 2011
@Kx I hope they wont be selling Tapioka and kpokpo garri as bread o!

LWKMD

I love nairaland jare. COMEDIANS FULL 9ja.
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by jascon1(m): 12:18pm On Dec 01, 2011
thank you last poster! i buy whats worth my money, and u cant challenge that.
in Abuja you can easily get italian cuisine, chinese cuisine, french cuisine and indian cuisine. how can a foriegner live in this country for 20 years without having a taste of eba and soup?? you cannot live in France for 2 weeks without eating "la baguette". abroad, our local foods cost like crude, but here foreign delicacies are even cheaper than our local.
this your bread flour will increase the price of garri oh!!! better give us light and refinery
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 1:38pm On Dec 01, 2011
There's never a dull moment with GEJ, carry on Presido
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by Fhemmmy: 12:22am On Dec 02, 2011
Let him start by example
Re: GEJ Tasks Nigerians To Patronise Locally Produced Goods by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 02, 2011
Let him start with locally made fuel first, then we'll know he's serious

(1) (Reply)

Used Pet Blowing Machine For Sale In Lagos / Nigerian Stocks Dip By 0.90% / What 2m Can Do To Fetch Good Returns On Weekly Basis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.