Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido (5781 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / EFCC Re-Arraigns Sule Lamido, Sons, Others / Governors’ Forum Holds Retreat For 36 Governors, In Sokoto — LIVE UPDATES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by ifebosco: 9:46am On Dec 01, 2011
36 govs endorsed fuel subsidy removal -Lamido reveals

| Print | E-mail

Written by Hassan Ibrahim and Adamu Amadu Thursday, 01 December 2011

ALL the 36 state governors of the federation are fully in support of the proposed removal of subsidy from petroleum products by the Federal Government, Jigawa State governor, Alhaji Sule Lamido, has revealed.

Alhaji Lamido made the disclosure while speaking at the closing ceremony of a workshop organised for business editors and finance correspondents by the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), held at the Staff Development Institution in Dutse.

He pointed out that the billions of naira being expended as fuel subsidy was unjustifiable and an avenue for the bourgeoisie to milk the nation and rob it of social and economic development.

According to him, the three tiers of government were being forced to cough up a huge amount of money as subsidy on a monthly basis.

“Leaders should be courageous to come up with decisions that would free Nigerians from difficulties. Today, in this country, only those who are courageous say the truth in the debate on deregulation and this is why I commend the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi,” he said.

The governor, who frowned on the position of the labour unions on the policy, stated that workers’ agitation for the implementation of the N18, 000 minimum wage could only be met when deductions from the Federation Accounts towards subsidy were made.

“They say governors are thieves. I can’t imagine a governor stealing N50 billion, when compared with what the bourgeoisie, who have formed a cartel of the so-called oil importers who rake in N1.3trillion of Nigerians’ money to their pockets. What value are these people adding to the country?” he queried.

He charged those commenting on the policy to look beyond political and selfish interests and engage in a holistic rational approach on the proposed policy.

On the insecurity and socio-economic crisis rocking the nation, Lamido blamed them on lack of justice and accountability in the utilisation of public resources.

“We keep on vilifying each other by making references to other countries and economies. But for us to forge ahead, we must trust in one another and the leadership. Where there is no trust, no country can prosper, survive or be secure,” Governor Lamido said.

He charged the NDIC to work assiduously to inspire the confidence of Nigerians in the financial institution for the country to have a virile economy.

Meanwhile, the spiritual father and chairman of the Cherubim and Seraphim Movement Church Worldwide (Ayo ni o), The Most Reverend Samuel Abidoye, on Wednesday, warned President Goodluck Jona-than to desist from its plan to remove petroleum subsidy.

The spiritual leader, who gave the warning while speaking with newsmen at the international headquarters of the church in Kaduna, argued that removal of the subsidy would worsen condition of every Nigerian.

“It will be inhuman on the part of the Jonathan-led administration to withdraw fuel subsidy when the successive governments in the country had failed to maintain the existing refineries or build new ones.

“The removal of fuel subsidy will worsen the plight of the already suffering Nigerian masses and could send the country down the precipice of further violence,” he said.

The cleric, however, advised the Federal Government to work towards revamping the nation’s four comatose refineries and building new ones before taking step on the removal of oil subsidy.

“The overwhelming public outcry against the planned removal of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government has exploded the myth and claims that deregulation would be to the advantage of the ordinary Nigerians. Already, fuel has become scarce and queues have surfaced in petrol stations across the country, in anticipation of the price increase,” he said.

On the recent demise of the late Biafran warlord, Chief Chukwuemeka Odu-megwu Ojukwu, the spiritual father said Nigeria had lost one of its illustrious sons at a time when his counsel was needed most.

The cleric prayed that God would grant the entire Ojukwu family the fortitude to bear the loss.
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/32137-36-govs-endorsed-fuel-subsidy-removal-lamido-reveals

mr president please don.t make the poor people in nigeria who voted you in to office to generate hatred on you,but if you think you are deity like majority or our politicians you can continue.
we have more pressing problems that need urgent attencion right now and to generate money in nigeria is not only the removal of fuel subsidy please mister president don´t put shame on us. we soo much trust in you.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by ifebosco: 10:14am On Dec 01, 2011
beaf die heart supporter of the president come and defend your oga on this one

not seen beaf
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Beaf: 10:30am On Dec 01, 2011
ifebosco:

beaf die heart supporter of the president come and defend your oga on this one

not seen beaf

We need to wait for the full explanation to come out before crying wolf and weeping blood. I too am waiting to hear the full story like you, so why not be patient? I do not like speculation. gossip or rumour and will not base arguments on such. January is just next month, so lets wait in order to have informed arguments.

compared with what the bourgeoisie, who have formed a cartel of the so-called oil importers who rake in N1.3trillion of Nigerians’ money to their pockets. What value are these people adding to the country?” he queried.

The above should give you lines along which to research before the full gist comes out.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Funkymallam(m): 10:59am On Dec 01, 2011
U mean all d state govs. Dats PDP + ACN + CPC + APGA + LP. Serious issue den but y are they making it look like a PDP tin?
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Beaf: 11:54am On Dec 01, 2011
Funkymallam:

U mean all d state govs. Dats PDP + ACN + CPC + APGA + LP. Serious issue den but y are they making it look like a PDP tin?

The governors were the first to call for the removal of the subsidy, even before GEJ mentioned it.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Godmann(m): 12:10pm On Dec 01, 2011
[size=15pt]I don't care what they say or do because they are a bunch of common criminals.

It is Time to give them a fight. We will uproot the evil sowed in this country since Independent if they dare try touch fuel price.

Our Revolution will be born; our nation will emerge!

If you are a free born; if you are a proud African; join us at https://www./9jactivists as we strategise on how to put an end to these responsibilities around our government.

Join us for the great march that will change Nigeria.

God Bless niaraland, God bless you, God Bless Nigerians; God be with the black-man. [/size]
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Beaf: 12:19pm On Dec 01, 2011
^
If fuel subsidy is what your revolution is about, then you are jobless. I would expect a revolution to be about true federalism and the hammering out of a contract between citizen and state; so that each individual knows their rights and responsibilities, just as the state would know its rights and responsibilities.
Why can't your revolution be about the passing of the PIB, the abrogation of the anti-people land use decree, the repealling of the petroleum act etc.

These days, people just wake up, talk nonsense and walk straight into the bush, because they wouldn't simply read to know the difference between left and right.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Godmann(m): 1:14pm On Dec 01, 2011
Beaf:

^
If fuel subsidy is what your revolution is about, then you are jobless. I would expect a revolution to be about true federalism and the hammering out of a contract between citizen and state; so that each individual knows their rights and responsibilities, just as the state would know its rights and responsibilities.
Why can't your revolution be about the passing of the PIB, the abrogation of the anti-people land use decree, the repealling of the petroleum act etc.

These days, people just wake up, talk nonsense and walk straight into the bush, because they wouldn't simply read to know the difference between left and right.

You know who you are. Unworthy to be talked to because your work is to be online and confuse people, as a senseless paid agents that you are.

My Names are Godwin Ndubuisi Aleke. I want to have your real Name if you are so sure of what you stand for.

Your mentor GEJ knows me. He knows I personally want him and his likes out of that position because they are wasting my generation. We will certainly stand up to him. We cannot be all cowards and evil like you.

We cannot be all paid agents like you.

I know GEJ have nothing to offer. I know what the solutions are. I have a book Titled "The Revolution? Fixing Nigeria begins" where I documents all  my tought on how Nigeria will work. I bet you neither your mentor nor you can have a coherent mind to be able to document a sound tought because you are simply not learned. You are uninformed, uncultured, uneducated and unintelligent. You are meant for the zoos where you can interact with fellow apes; because no sensible man will tolerate the human waste going on in this country.

Send me any address around Festac Town or Lagos Island and I will drop the book for you, if you care to become a convert.

If you have sound counter opinion document it and let see who is right.

Some of us are not on the look out for what to eat because we have a base and good conscious. We cannot be all crooks like you.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Xavier1976(m): 2:37pm On Dec 01, 2011
@ Beaf, you don't have shame, you and your cohorts. i remember you being the die hard GEJ apologist !!!!!! you and some naive Nigerians handed over the poor masses to GEJ and PDP. I doubt if you did it for genuine interest of Nigerians but for blood money which you sold your future and your children's future. When GEJ and PDP eventually remove the oil subsidy and the suffering of the nation becomes doubled, then i hope you and your gang get your reward., your conscience shall judge you, for every child that goes hungry you shall be judged !!!! Take my words, this country would never move forward when people like you continue to exist!!!!!
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by karpenter: 11:10am On Dec 02, 2011
^

This beaf you go kill somebody one , lol
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by egift(m): 11:15am On Dec 02, 2011
[size=14pt]Reps Reject Fuel Subsidy Removal[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-816068.0.html
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 02, 2011
The major problem with us is lack of patience.

Just a little patience will make you see that things

are getting right about this country.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Okijajuju1(m): 11:24am On Dec 02, 2011
Godman_n:

You know who you are. Unworthy to be talked to because your work is to be online and confuse people, as a senseless paid agents that you are.

My Names are Godwin Ndubuisi Aleke. I want to have your real Name if you are so sure of what you stand for.

Your mentor GEJ knows me. He knows I personally want him and his likes out of that position because they are wasting my generation. We will certainly stand up to him. We cannot be all cowards and evil like you.

I know GEJ have nothing to offer. I know what the solutions are. I have a book Titled "The Revolution? Fixing Nigeria begins" where I documents all  my tought on how Nigeria will work. I bet you neither your mentor nor you can have a coherent mind to be able to document a sound tought because you are simply not learned. You are uninformed, uncultured, uneducated and unintelligent. You are meant for the zoos where you can interact with fellow apes; because no sensible man will tolerate the human waste going on in this country.

Send me any address around Festac Town or Lagos Island and I will drop the book for you, if you care to become a convert.

Some of us are not on the look out for what to eat because we have a base and good conscious. We cannot be all crooks like you.

So just because you have written your name down and have written "YOUR" ideas on how to make Nigeria better on paper, now makes you the messiah to Nigerias problems right?! Your post made you out to be a joke and apparently a concieted mo-ron. So you think that Jonathan went up there without ideas that he thinks can make Nigeria better abi?! Or you feel that these thieving clowns in the senate and other government offices dont have ideas that they feel are brilliant and can make Nigeria better?!

You come across as a typical beer-palour conversationist. Step out and sit amongst intelligible people and listen to sound and logical arguments.

I for one know BEAF to be a stunch supporter of President Goodluck Jonathan, but looking at his post which you attacked, he made alot of sense. The problem with Nigeria is bigger than Deregulating and unsubsidizng the cost of fuel. This subsidy issue has got its pros & cons and depending on your line of reasoning, could be either bad or good. My advice to you would be state your point and stop beating your chest as an author who has published the holy grail to Nigerias problems.

Stu'pid f'uking Local Champion coming online to act like your "pamphlet" has won you a Nobel price.  angry Books are a dime a dozen a'sshole!
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Beaf: 11:25am On Dec 02, 2011
^
Thanks bruv. A lot of the folk that post on NL are angry, but they do not know why and they do not know what from; so they end up fighting their enemies war and beating up themselves in anger, while the country is strangled. Its a real shame.

Many don't even know the meaning of the word, revolution. Its just something to be bandied about with no philosophical rooting.

Godman_n:

I know GEJ have nothing to offer. I know what the solutions are. I have a book Titled "The Revolution? Fixing Nigeria begins" where I documents all  my tought on how Nigeria will work. I bet you neither your mentor nor you can have a coherent mind to be able to document a sound tought because you are simply not learned. You are uninformed, uncultured, uneducated and unintelligent. You are meant for the zoos where you can interact with fellow apes; because no sensible man will tolerate the human waste going on in this country.

Thanks for telling me your name, Godwin. Unfortunately, I do not work for GEJ so I cannot introduce you (I guess that is your real angle).
I might get in touch with you at some point, though; just out of curiosity to put a face to a name.

I generally like your inputs because you are honest, even though we lie on opposite sides of the political divide; however I must remind you that it is uncivil to insult people who have never crossed you.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by lonamy: 11:34am On Dec 02, 2011
GEJ is trying his best to ensure 9ja is doing well. If removal of fuel subsidy will help salvage the economy, let him go ahead and do it.

If it is less than a percentage of Nigeria that is enjoying fuel subsidy, there there is no point still keeping it in the budget, remove it and lets see the aftermath effect.
If we can bear it then let it "goes", if the adverse effect will be unbearable then reposition it back to the budget with full monitoring system.

I will not support the call not to remove fuel subsidy.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by otokx(m): 11:57am On Dec 02, 2011
Let him remove fuel subsidy so that Nigeria will come to an end.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by odutope(m): 11:59am On Dec 02, 2011
Goodluck jonathan is nothing but an educated fool, our refineries are sitting there lifeless and the best he could come up with is "fuel subsidy removal", nigerians shud betta wake up from their slumber,
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by ismhab(m): 12:02pm On Dec 02, 2011
They are all bunch of stu.pid, ediot and basterd governors.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by centurian(m): 12:03pm On Dec 02, 2011
I PRAY THAT GEJ, JUST TAKE SOMETIME TO REMEMBER THAT IT WAS THE LITTLE PEOPLE THAT STOOD IN THE SUN/RAIN AN GAVE HIM POWER TO CARRY US TO A BETTER NIGERIA.
NOW HE IN TURN WANT TO PAY THOSE PEOPLE BACK WITH MORE HARDSHIP.
WHEN FG GIVES SOMETHING (MINIMUM WAGE) THEY TAKE EVERYTHING (FUeL SUBSIDY)

GOD IS HEARING THE CRY OF HIS POEPLE AND WILL DO SOMETHING.
NIGOZ WAS SENT TO DEFEND HER COUNRTY FROM EXTERNAL BAD ADVICEr, BUT IN THIS CASE SHE IS THE ONE telling GEJ to remove the subsidy.

GOD IS WATCHING
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by HisMajesty1(m): 12:31pm On Dec 02, 2011
Truth be told, dis fuel subsidy thing is a double-edged sword, it has its pros and cons. Its not very gud dat sum faceless cabal are ripping off trillions of naira from Nigerians through the subsidy, but if its successfully taken away as the govs are clamouring for, hw can Nigerians be guaranteed that the proceed wuld be used to improve on our lives, rada dan been embezzled by our politicians. Mind u all, Sum of these house of reps guys dat do want the subsidy are behind the scene beneficiaries of it. This issue should be critically analysed by our leaders before taken any lasting position on it. IMO Nigeria is not ripe for subsidy removal.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by mrjingles(m): 12:40pm On Dec 02, 2011
Beaf:

^

I will vote this as post of the year! I don't always agree with you but the above nicely sums up the problem of the Nigerian youth. Poor grasp of issues, zero appreciation of the real problems of Nigeria (no corruption is not the biggest problem) and generally a pitifully poor ability to debate key subjects. Anybody who wants to carry out a "revolution" because of fuel subsidy needs to be committed to an asylum.
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Willzkid(m): 12:44pm On Dec 02, 2011
Wait a sec,
Does this group of 36 governors include Adams Oshiomole?
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by sheyguy: 1:02pm On Dec 02, 2011
Beaf i think it is time u do away with this oil subsidy removal of a tin, u & i know that we have a corrupt govt under GEJ and GEJ himself is corrupt, the process that brought him to power was a fraud. This GEJ of a president has gotten too many a favor from his PDP band wagon and wolves masqurading to be PDP, the reason GEJ and his likes (the governors)have taken to oil subsidy removal is that GEJ can no longer handle his own government because of  obstacle called PDP on his way, under normal circumstance GEJ is suppose to run a govt that will put a check to any form of illegal activity by all cabal and mafia ( especially when it comes to "subsidy related sectors"wink. However GEJ has chosen to turn to the masses for cushioning the effect of these lapses. What happens when the Govt decides that flour and rice subsidy must go ? How will the average man survive ?  If Nigergians shld revolt against her govt because of subsidy removal then i think it is justified.
Beaf:

^

Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by superior1: 1:26pm On Dec 02, 2011
Godman_n:

[size=15pt]I don't care what they say or do because they are a bunch of common criminals.

It is Time to give them a fight. We will uproot the evil sowed in this country since Independent if they dare try touch fuel price.

Our Revolution will be born; our nation will emerge!

If you are a free born; if you are a proud African; join us at https://www./9jactivists as we strategise on how to put an end to these responsibilities around our government.

Join us for the great march that will change Nigeria.

God Bless niaraland, God bless you, God Bless Nigerians; God be with the black-man. [/size]

Altleast somebody is fighting for something he believes in and taking actions. That is a rare quality in this part of the world. Clearly state your manifesto, am sure quite alot of Nigerians will be willing to join the struggle.

@beaf, my problem with you is that your support of Jonathan is like that of a blind mumu. If Jonathan perform well in one area make we talk am, if he no do am beta for another area make we also take am, dats wat dem call objectivity. But senseless support for obviously stupid moves by Jonathan will only make people regard you as being out-rightly stupid. How do you want us to believe you are not a paid agent if Jonathan Poo. for our face and you still come here to defend him. abeg geraout jooor. At this rate you are going we will start ignoring you totally on this forum
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Iolo(m): 1:43pm On Dec 02, 2011
Fuel subsidy removal is a complex issue. I have a few questions for anyone with answers.

Why can't GEJ's government publish the names of importers on a monthly basis? Let's know how much fuel each importer brought in, how much they were paid etc,

I'm assuming that its corruption that's brought the subsidy bill to around a Trillion (coz d approropriation bill has it as 300 - 600 billion), if this is correct why can't Jonathan @ least try to clean up the bills. Let's know he's been serious about sanitizing that aspect of the sector and then Nigerians can decide to sacrifice a little inconvenience for further development by having the subsidy removed.

The problem is the average Nigerian has trust issues. Why should we trust GEJ's, the govs and everyone who'll benefit from the xtra cash to use the monies wisely.

Won't subsidy removal mean more money to loot?

These are the worries GEJ has to address,
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by smokeyupu(m): 1:50pm On Dec 02, 2011
What a sad situation. These same set of governors are at it again. Why are they so greedy?

All they want is to chop alone. An ape knows that the average Nigerian has been impoverished beyond control. Things like these must end.

They are all kings in their various domains and do what ever they please. They have become war lords with their private army of executioners and taskmasters.

They live in luxurious mansions and eat free food, free medical care (abroad of course), free prostitutes, free fuel, tax free, all their children are in schools abroad, etc. They have completely lost touch with reality.

How can they accept this kind of further punishment on Nigerians? What did we do wrong? This is totally unfair. The refineries are not working, electricity is next to zero. Nigerians buy fuel for their generators and for their cars on a daily basis. Security is non-existent. People are killed and maimed on a daily basis for no reason. One cannot but marvel at the way these scoundrels come about these sort of decisions. They should let sleeping dogs be, PLEASE!!!!!

If the refineries were working then this move is welcome. We are supposed to be exporting refined products  of all sorts but the reverse has become the norm. If you cannot do a job well then get the hell out. They must thread with extreme caution. Nigerians are fed up with this hopeless situation. NO TO FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL!!!!!!!!!
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by Iolo(m): 2:08pm On Dec 02, 2011
Why can't GEJ borrow funds to construct 1 or 2 new refineries, repair the old ones to maximum capacity?

This way government can remove subsidy over time and the eventual cost would be less than what they be today. We'd also be creating more jobs etc.

Is GEJ running away from the main problem? Corruption in NNPC and ko?
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by hasyak(m): 2:40pm On Dec 02, 2011
Iolo:

Why can't GEJ borrow funds to construct 1 or 2 new refineries, repair the old ones to maximum capacity?

This way government can remove subsidy over time and the eventual cost would be less than what they be today. We'd also be creating more jobs etc.

Is GEJ running away from the main problem? Corruption in NNPC and ko?

+8
common sense but is it really common
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by success4(m): 3:01pm On Dec 02, 2011
Bunch of reeeeeeeeettttttaaaaaaaards!
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by buJu234: 3:12pm On Dec 02, 2011
we complain too much in this country,

Mr President GEJ go and arrest the cabal; simple as ABC,
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by success4(m): 3:13pm On Dec 02, 2011
Bunch of reeeeeeeeettttttaaaaaaaards!
Re: 36 Governors Endorsed Fuel Subsidy Removal - Sule Lamido by PastorOla1: 3:15pm On Dec 02, 2011
They are all looking for more money, bunch of lazy men, always looking for the easiest way out!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Will Be Niger Delta Republic President. / Bayo Adeyinka Wrote:open Letter To Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu / INEC Projects 84m Voters For Feb Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.