Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,212 members, 7,780,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:25 PM

Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu (11262 Views)

Shiite-Army Clash: Mass Burial For 347 Corpses – KDSG- PICS / Aregbesola Shuns Ooni's Burial For Lagos Meeting / Obiano Holds Mass Burial For Unclaimed Bodies Of Fuel Tanker Victims (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by TRUTHTELA: 7:24pm On Dec 01, 2011
The Senate stood still on Thursday as it devoted the entire session to honour the late Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu.
Though members of the upper legislative chamber opposed the clamour for a state burial for late Ojukwu, they urged the former Eastern Region where he was the first military Governor, to come together and give him a befitting burial.
This followed the adoption of a motion by Senator Andy Uba and 50 others entitled: “Death of Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (Ikemba Nnewi) 1933-2011.”
Apparently to capture the mood of the day, many South East Senators where Ojukwu hailed from wore black suits including Senator Uche Chukwumerije, known for his traditional white attire.
The Senate resolved to observe a minute silence in honour of the deceased; just as it also agreed to send a high powered delegation to commiserate with Ojukwu’s family, the people and Government of Anambra State.
The upper chamber also urged the Federal Government to immortalize late Ojukwu by naming a prominent establishment after him.
The opposition of a state funeral was hinged on the argument that Ojukwu did not fall under the category of those who should be so honoured.
Deputy Senate Leader, Senator Abdul Ningi explained that the prayer should be rejected in order not to set a precedent that ran contrary to the laws of the country.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/28258-senate-rejects-state-burial-for-ojukwu.html
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

The Senate stood still on Thursday as it devoted the entire session to honour the late Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu.
Though members of the upper legislative chamber opposed the clamour for a state burial for late Ojukwu, they urged the former Eastern Region where he was the first military Governor, to come together and give him a befitting burial.
This followed the adoption of a motion by Senator Andy Uba and 50 others entitled: “Death of Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (Ikemba Nnewi) 1933-2011.”
Apparently to capture the mood of the day, many South East Senators where Ojukwu hailed from wore black suits including Senator Uche Chukwumerije, known for his traditional white attire.
The Senate resolved to observe a minute silence in honour of the deceased; just as it also agreed to send a high powered delegation to commiserate with Ojukwu’s family, the people and Government of Anambra State.
The upper chamber also urged the Federal Government to immortalize late Ojukwu by naming a prominent establishment after him.
The opposition of a state funeral was hinged on the argument that Ojukwu did not fall under the category of those who should be so honoured.
Deputy Senate Leader, Senator Abdul Ningi explained that the prayer should be rejected in order not to set a precedent that ran contrary to the laws of the country.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/28258-senate-rejects-state-burial-for-ojukwu.html
Oju-iku is a loser,he doesnt derserve shiit from Nigeria other than our collective curses !
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Chyz2: 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2011
2015 US prediction of nigeria's disintegration has just jumped 2 years closer.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by TRUTHTELA: 7:40pm On Dec 01, 2011
@ BLUETOOTH, What have you benefitted from Nigeria as a person? I'm sure you are one PEASANT browsing with generator in one cyberface in Nigeria, looking for people to SCAM. With no HOPE having electricity when you get home. Neither are you sure of what to eat tomorrow. If you are not a loser, SHOW YOUR FACE. Put your real identity here,let's know who the real LOSER is.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by kobojonkie(f): 7:48pm On Dec 01, 2011
Why should he get a state burial? shocked

He never believed in Nigeria and even in death he wanted to visit countries that supported his Biafra cause.

I dont have any thing personal against him but really he should get a local burial in his Igbo land.

State burials are for Statesmen who have lived and fought for peace and stability of the State.

Next please
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 01, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@ BLUETOOTH, What have you benefitted from Nigeria as a person? I'm sure you are one PEASANT browsing with generator in one cyberface in Nigeria, looking for people to SCAM. With no HOPE having electricity when you get home. Neither are you sure of what to eat tomorrow. If you are not a loser, SHOW YOUR FACE. Put your real identity here,let's know who the real LOSER is.
You are a big foool.Why should oju-iku be given a state burial by a country he never believed in ? Like i said,he's a loser.if una like go bury am for sahara desert,i no send !
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by TRUTHTELA: 7:56pm On Dec 01, 2011
^^^^ Fine, I do not have any LIKENESS for him. In my opinion,State burial should be merited, period. But dislike people being unnecessarily ABUSIVE.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by AndreUweh(m): 7:56pm On Dec 01, 2011
kobojonkie:

Why should he get a state burial? shocked

He never believed in Nigeria and even in death he wanted to visit countries that supported his Biafra cause.

I dont have any thing personal against him but really he should get a local burial in his Igbo land.

State burials are for Statesmen who have lived and fought for peace and stability of the State.

Next please

No point vomiting crap here. Did Ojukwu's family request state burial for Chukwuemeka?. Without you saying it, Ojukwu will be buried in Igboland and Nnewi. As you know Igboland very well, you ought to know that Ndigbo do not bury their people outside their ancestral homes. It is not going to be like Abiola, originally from Abeokuta but was buried in Lagos. Do you not know this all along?.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by TRUTHTELA: 7:58pm On Dec 01, 2011
@BLUETOOTH, Allow the dead to bury themselves. I don't give a f&%k about Ojukwu. But If you think you are living show your FACE, reveal your IDENTITY, if you are not a SCAMMER or a PAUPER.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Chyz2: 8:02pm On Dec 01, 2011
Andre Uweh:

No point vomiting crap here. Did Ojukwu's family request state burial for Chukwuemeka?. Without you saying it, Ojukwu will be buried in Igboland and Nnewi. As you know Igboland very well, you ought to know that Ndigbo do not bury their people outside their ancestral homes. It is not going to be like Abiola, originally from Abeokuta but was buried in Lagos. Do you not know this all along?.

Well said.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by ChinenyeN(m): 8:06pm On Dec 01, 2011
I don't understand, who requested state burial in the first place, and why? undecided
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by TRUTHTELA: 8:07pm On Dec 01, 2011
@ BLUETOOTH, I think NL, should purge this BLOG of DEGENARATES like you and upgrade NL,to a FB like, so that we can know who is talking. If the person is dead or alive. None of your so called past leaders can boast of the same background with Ojukwu. Ojukwu was born into WEALTH, Obasanjo, IBB, ABDULSALAMI, JONATHAN,GOWON,etc. Their background and STOLEN WEALTH is well documented.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:31pm On Dec 01, 2011
Will tribalism allow dem to do the right thing? Ojukwu deserves more dan a State Burial and will get that whether they like it or not in Biafra.

Wat do they call a statesman? In a nut shell, Ojukwu was a Nigerian Statesman that believed in the Nigerian cause. Ojukwu joined the Nigerian Army and was in support of an Independent Nigeria.

Ojukwu stood up for Nigerians wen they were persecuted and driven away from other parts of their country. In reaction to this development, Ojukwu declared the south-eastern region a safe haven for all persecuted south-easterner.

The rogue elements that had taken over the Nigerian Army persisted and declared an un-winnable war with South-eastern Nigeria(Biafra-3 million died) without remedying the issues at hand that are still prevalent in Nigeria today. Just look at the kind of killings going on.

Once that oil finish, their will be no more Nigeria becos the North will leave the south high and dry. How is that fair?

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 01, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@ BLUETOOTH, I think NL, should purge this BLOG of DEGENARATES like you and upgrade NL,to a FB like, so that we can know who is talking. If the person is dead or alive. None of your so called past leaders can boast of the same background with Ojukwu. Ojukwu was born into WEALTH, Obasanjo, IBB, ABDULSALAMI, JONATHAN,GOWON,etc. Their background and STOLEN WEALTH is well documented.
are you a gay ? Why would you need to see my picture  ? You must be fcked if you think i'm a low-lifer like you.ode
Bliss4Lyfe:

Will tribalism allow dem to do the right thing? Ojukwu deserves more dan a State Burial and will get that whether they like it or not in Biafra.

Wat do they call a statesman? Ojukwu was a Nigerian Statesman that believed in the Nigerian cause. Ojukwu joined the Nigerian Army and was in support of an Independent Nigeria.

Ojukwu stood up for Nigerians wen they were persecuted and driven away from other parts of their country. In reaction to this development, Ojukwu declared the south-eastern region a safe haven for all persecuted south-easterner.

The rogue elements that had taken over the Nigerian Army persisted and declared an un-winnable war with South-eastern Nigeria(Biafra-3 million died) without remedying the issues at hand that are still prevalent in Nigeria today. Just look at the kind of kills going on.

Once that oil finish, their will be no more Nigeria becos the North will leave the south high and dry. How is that fair? 
Girl give it up.Oju-iku is not recognize by the constitution of Nigeria.this one no be local title o.lmao
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by TRUTHTELA: 8:42pm On Dec 01, 2011
@BLUETOOTH, GO through all the things you have posted here. It goes along way to say who YOU ARE & WHAT YOU REPRESENT. And I repeat, I do not give a f%$k about you & Ojukwu or how & where he's been buried. What I can't stand is PAUPERS & DEGENERATES like you that have no meaningful contribution to make other than to use FOUL words. Go home to your darkness filled home & country. LOSER 4 LIFE!!!
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by muyoto: 8:45pm On Dec 01, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I don't understand, who requested state burial in the first place, and why? undecided

It was, evidently, during the visit of Peter Obi and his entourage to the presidency:

Anambra State Governor Peter Obi, who visited the Presidential Villa in Abuja Monday night, according to sources, told Dr Goodluck Jonathan that “given the stream of tributes for Ojukwu,” the ex-Biafran leader should get a state burial.

My deepest respect to the deceased Igbo leader, but I honestly can't understand why anyone in his right senses would even consider a State Burial for him.

Such will be, IMO, an insult not just to Nigeria but to those, especially, who stood (and continue to stand) and died for the actualization of Biafra.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 01, 2011
Di-ckhead I'm sorry i cannot help you.however if you think the path you chose will bring you success,all i can do is wish you well.I better ignore you before you infect me with your madness.au revoire !
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by 2mch(m): 8:48pm On Dec 01, 2011
Quite frankly he didnt believe in Nigeria. Am sure even he would not want a state burial by Nigeria. And also this is passing a message that we honor and praise secessionists. Can become dangerous for our criminals in charge. And pro-Nigerians. All sorts of groups can spring up from this to threaten the stability of the country called Nigeria, afterall it is honorable. MASSOB honoring him will be more appropriate. undecided
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by EkoIle1: 8:50pm On Dec 01, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Who cares? You can bury him under your bed if you like or burn and scatter his ashes all over your village, that's your damn problem.

You are here talking as if burring somebody in iboland is something special. Shebi Zik was berried in iboland? What happen to his grave-site?

You loud mouths have him sleeping with rubbish, lizards and reptiles. All you people do is run your mouth, but you never put your your money where your loud mouth is. We all know whats going to happen few months from now, SEE ZIK.

How do you even suggest bestowing a national honor on some rebel who not only never believed in Nigeria to start with, he led millions to their death to prove that point. Are you people mad or insane?

The man should have faced the firing squad for what he did like they do in a lot of sane and lawful countries, he was allowed back because Nigeria is a fcukeecdd up country.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 01, 2011
2mch:

Quite frankly he didnt believe in Nigeria. Am sure even he would not want a state burial by Nigeria. And also this is passing a message that we honor and praise secessionists. Can become dangerous for our criminals in charge. And pro-Nigerians. All sorts of groups can spring up from this to threaten the stability of the country called Nigeria, afterall it is honorable. MASSOB honoring him will be more appropriate. undecided
coupled with the e-mourning since the guy died,i'm sure a state burial is not needed again.besides they are sending his body around the world for people to see.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 01, 2011
Neither Ojukwu nor Igbos asked for any state burial.Any abuja offer of state burial will be rejected by the Igbo.Ojukwu will get state burial in Biafraland.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Pukkah: 8:59pm On Dec 01, 2011
I have said something like this before. Also, the plan to take him to countries that supported Biafra should be well-reviewed for it is an ill wind that will not blow the SE any good. The FG might even work against it by making contact with those countries.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by TRUTHTELA: 9:01pm On Dec 01, 2011
@ BLUETOOTH, Shame on you. Obviously the CYBERCAFE you are browing from ran out of fuel in their generator OR they want to close. All i asked is, if you are not an UNEDUCATED PAUPER reveal your identity. LOSER 4 LIFE!!!
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by AndreUweh(m): 9:04pm On Dec 01, 2011
Eko Ile:

Who cares? You can bury him under your bed if you like or burn and scatter his ashes all over your village, that's your damn problem.

You are here talking as if burring somebody in iboland is something special. Shebi Zik was berried in iboland? What happen to his grave-site?

You loud mouths have him sleeping with rubbish, lizards and reptiles. All you people do is run your mouth, but you never put your your money where your loud mouth is. We all know whats going to happen few months from now, SEE ZIK.

How do you even suggest bestowing a national honor on some rebel who not only never believed in Nigeria to start with, he led millions to their death to prove that point. Are you people mad or insane?

The man should have faced the firing squad for what he did like they do in a lot of sane and lawful countries, he was allowed back because Nigeria is a fcukeecdd up country.

The above imbecilic post is not necessary at all. Ojukwu has fallen asleep and it doesn't matter if the senate rejects a state burial for him or not. Ojukwu doesn't lack those that will bury him. The 3 local councils in Nnewi is capable, Anambra is capable as well as the East. It is none of your business. Scram.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by muyoto: 9:08pm On Dec 01, 2011
chima12:

Neither Ojukwu nor Igbos asked [/b]for any state burial.Any abuja offer of state burial will be rejected by the Igbo.Ojukwu will get state burial in Biafraland.

think again. . .

THE President has been urged to approve state burial for Chief Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, the Igbo leader who died in London on Saturday.

[b]Anambra State Governor Peter Obi, who visited the Presidential Villa in Abuja Monday night, according to sources, told Dr Goodluck Jonathan that “given the stream of tributes for Ojukwu,” the ex-Biafran leader should get a state burial.

Obi, who officially informed the President of Ojukwu’s death, also thanked him for his concern throughout the 11-month period of Ojukwu’s illness, it was learnt.

Besides, the request for a state funeral, there is also a demand for a posthumous national honour for the late Ojukwu.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by antartica(m): 9:14pm On Dec 01, 2011
The question should be is nigerian state worthy of giving Ojukwu a state burial? Nigerian senators are rogues and the same rogues are the ones making decision on how to bury a noble like Ojukwu. For all i care,bury Ojukwu with a basket with a handful of mourners,he is still a noble and his legend will still live on. True Igbos does not need morally and rationally dead nigeria to feel good about themselves,infact this is the right time to revamp the case for seperation. Nigeria as a country is one of the most primitive on the surface of the earth,no rational person wants to call that country his/her own, a country ruled by fo.ols,where adults are like babies and where education turn people to zombies,little wonder the boko harams hates it. Nigerian educated are less cognitive,less constructive and rational than the cavemen.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 01, 2011
Andre Uweh:

The above imbecilic post is not necessary at all. Ojukwu has fallen asleep and it doesn't matter if the senate rejects a state burial for him or not. Ojukwu doesn't lack those that will bury him. The 3 local councils in Nnewi is capable, Anambra is capable as well as the East. It is none of your business. Scram.
It's not imbecilic.your brothers in NASS have been pushing for it and thankGod it failed.
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by r231(m): 9:28pm On Dec 01, 2011
subscribing
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by dayokanu(m): 9:29pm On Dec 01, 2011
Well done Senators

Its better to give Osisikankwu a State burial than Ojuku
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by 2mch(m): 9:34pm On Dec 01, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@ BLUETOOTH, Shame on you. Obviously the CYBERCAFE you are browing from ran out of fuel in their generator OR they want to close. All i asked is, if you are not an UNEDUCATED PAUPER reveal your identity. LOSER 4 LIFE!!!
TRUTHTELA:

@BLUETOOTH, Allow the dead to bury themselves. I don't give a f&%k about Ojukwu. But If you think you are living show your FACE, reveal your IDENTITY, if you are not a SCAMMER or a PAUPER.

grin grin grin cheesy, LMAO. Bluetooth has touched a soft spot today. See anger and vex. grin grin grin cheesy

TRUTHTELA:

ROTFL!
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by ChinenyeN(m): 9:36pm On Dec 01, 2011
muyoto:

It was, evidently, during the visit of Peter Obi and his entourage to the presidency:
I see. So this Peter Obi. He speaks for Igbo now?
Re: Senate Rejects State Burial For Ojukwu by antartica(m): 9:36pm On Dec 01, 2011
What difference does what u say makes? As if we dont know who u are,an a.ss licker that licks the darkieand dirty as.s of notorious criminals like tinubu. Caveman.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ignore Boko-Haram Leaflets & Posters, JTF Urges Maiduguri Public / Clampdown On Corrupt Nigerians Will Be Sustained –DSS Boss / Appeal Court Sets Aside Judgement Barring Ize-Iyamu, Audu From Contesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.