Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel (9813 Views)

History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu / Very Interesting: America's Secret Files On Ojukwu. / Hon Patrick Obahiagbon On Ojukwu's Demise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Kizilala: 11:03pm On Dec 02, 2011
The Gentleman Rebel: Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (1933-2011)
By GILLIAN PARKER / ABUJA Friday, Dec. 02, 2011

When, in May 1967, he declared that eastern Nigeria would henceforth be known as the independent Republic of Biafra, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's intention was simply to break with a northern Nigerian military dictatorship that was violently discriminating against the south and the east. But his action would help set in motion events that led to a civil war in which more than a million people died and presented Africa to a world, already in the television age, as a place of famine and genocide — an image which, to the frustration of a billion Africans, persists to this day.
Ojukwu, who died in London on Nov. 26 at the age of 78, was born in Zungeru, northern Nigeria. His father, transport millionaire Sir Louis Ojukwu, was one of the richest men in Nigeria. Schooled at King's College, Lagos, then Epsom College, in the English town of Surrey, before reading history at Lincoln College, Oxford, the younger Ojukwu returned to Nigeria in 1956 to pursue a career, first in the colonial Eastern Nigeria's administration service, then the army. By 1963 he was commander of the 5th Battalion of the Nigerian army.
(See photos of the two sides of Nigeria.)
In 1966, six years after independence from Britain, Nigeria's military staged a coup led by ethnic Igbo officers from the east. The junta installed Ojukwu as leader of the east. Six months later, a violent northern campaign against the Igbos culminated in a countercoup. The insurgents killed Nigeria's head of state Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi, an Igbo, and a northern general, Yakubu Gowon, took power. Ojukwu refused to accept Gowon's regime and on May 30 declared independence for Biafra, a region that included parts of the oil-rich Niger Delta. The announcement was the spark for a civil war that lasted two and a half years. It was an uneven contest. With superior forces and weaponry, Gowon's forces tightened a stranglehold around Biafra, and after a year, the republic had lost half its territory. As part of their siege strategy, the junta also frustrated humanitarian efforts to alleviate suffering, preventing food and supplies from entering Biafra. Pictures of children with distended bellies and stick limbs reached Europe and North America. That prompted the world's first privately organized large-scale relief operation, a campaign in which several leading humanitarians, including the future founder of Médecins Sans Frontières (and future French Foreign Minister) Bernard Kouchner, got their start.
Despite the appalling misery endured by Biafra's population, Ojukwu held fast to the notion of independence, portraying Biafra as a nation threatened by genocide. "The crime of genocide has not only been threatened but fulfilled," he told journalists in 1968. "The only reason any of us are alive today is because we have our rifles. Otherwise the massacre would be complete. It would be suicidal for us to lay down our arms at this stage."
(See TIME's Biafra covers.)
Ojukwu was also a contradiction. He was a well-heeled Oxford-educated man fighting a grassroots rebel campaign. In an August 1968 cover story on him, TIME reported his secessionist views were more a response to popular Igbo opinion than something that arose from personal conviction. Ojukwu was, the magazine wrote, "a calm and reasoned voice pleading for a united Nigeria long after Igbos had arguably given up hope of preserving the union."
By 1969, Biafra was on its knees. Sensing defeat, Ojukwu fled into exile in the Ivory Coast days before Biafra surrendered in January 1970. With the rebellion over, in a moment of pragmatism Gowon declared there had been "no victors and no vanquished." Rebels were quickly reabsorbed into society. Ojukwu was granted a pardon 12 years later and made a triumphant return in 1982. He returned to politics, forming the All Progressives Grand Alliance in 1999, which he led until his death.
Ojukwu's hand in events that helped create a perception of Africa as a place of endless suffering is a mixed legacy. Although the image is humiliating, and increasingly inaccurate, it was that same image that gave birth to the idea of international humanitarian intervention. Inside Nigeria, Ojukwu's legacy is viewed more positively. The Biafra war cast a mold for much of Nigeria's subsequent internal strife. The dynamic of north-south rivalry and authoritarian state vs. secessionist rebel persists to this day in the conflicts between the government and rebels in the Delta and Muslim militants in the northeast. By the stance he took, Ojukwu personified the understanding that Nigeria is often a nation often divided, sometimes violently, by genuine grievance. That insight led President Goodluck Jonathan to pay him an unusually nuanced tribute. Ojukwu's "immense love of his people, justice, equity and fairness," said Jonathan, "forced him into the leading role he played in the Nigerian civil war." For many Nigerians, and certainly for the Igbos, Ojukwu will be cherished as someone who refused to compromise on freedom to an overbearing state. "He will be remembered for many things, top of which is freedom and emancipation of our people," said chief Ralph Uwazurike of the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra. "The Igbo can never forget him for that."

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2101162,00.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Kilode1: 1:47am On Dec 03, 2011
It's interesting to note how the Biafra war influenced several developments and perception concerning Africa, conflict and the "humanitarian and aid" Industry.

I don't think West Africa, or Africa can survive another Nigerian conflict though. We are now 160M +

. . .But we can do that "Aburi talk" thing again, this time with vision, humility and a sense of purpose. I hope this generation Will. I'm not sure we won't have another Biafra or Rwanda again if we fail to address the fundamentals.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by HighChief4(m): 4:04am On Dec 03, 2011
RIP Ikemba the Great one!!!
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by chino11(m): 10:01am On Dec 03, 2011
Ojukwu is the servant of JAH who saw tomorrow, the issue that FG refused to resolve when Ojukwu first saw it in 1960s. The same Sovereign National Conference people are calling for today was what Ojukwu saw 40years ago and took the FG to Aburi to discuss Nigeria, which the Gowon led govt reneged from on returning home. We may never have a look-alike of Ojukwu in integrity, principle and above all the wisdom bestowed on him by God. Nigeria refused to listen to this great son of Anambra, today Nigeria is paying the toll.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 11:13am On Dec 03, 2011
This man was truly a great man. I'll duff my hat for him any day.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by sugardaddy1(m): 11:22am On Dec 03, 2011
Ojukwu is an epitome of what a real man should be - intelligent, blunt and very courageous.
May his soul never rest until all he stood and fought for materializes in this contraption called Nigeria.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Orikinla(m): 11:30am On Dec 03, 2011
He was the lovable rebel in the classic sense.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 11:32am On Dec 03, 2011
hmmm a man dies and all of a sudden yall catching feelings. surfing off of the euphoria of emitted sentiments
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 11:36am On Dec 03, 2011
^^ he wasn't just a 'man', but a great leader and an icon to his people. And because he was there for his people, you sĦouldn't expect anything less than the 'sentiments'.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 11:39am On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

^^ he wasn't just a 'man', but a great leader and an icon to his people. And because he was there for his people, you sĦouldn't expect anything less than the 'sentiments'.
look lets face facts here. these were all men driven by huge egos. their sense of entitlement put lots of lives at risk. RIP to the man but i think we need some perspective here.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 11:40am On Dec 03, 2011
there were all tribalistic men. the lot of men.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 11:41am On Dec 03, 2011
Ojukwu not only led the former Eastern region in battle, but he gave the Ndigbo a sense of unity that we never had before. Even though his legacy is connected to Biafra, I feel that his leadership led to a united Igboland, which is often overlooked.

The Economist & Time Magazine, both foreign and unbiased outlets have looked favorable at Ojukwu's legacy.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 11:42am On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

look lets face facts here. these were all men driven by huge egos. their sense of entitlement put lots of lives at risk. RIP to the man but i think we need some perspective here.

I rather look at the perspective from a non-Nigerian, who is able to objectively look at the situation through unbiased lens. That would not include you.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by Johnpaul2k2(m): 11:44am On Dec 03, 2011
OJUKWU is having the highest TRAFFIC shocked shocked shocked shocked ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
a Great Man he is, cool cool cool cool cool cool
we will miss you dear embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 11:46am On Dec 03, 2011
Its Unfortunate that I can't quote u, but did I hear you say "huge ego"? Come on, you must be kidding ♍e.

What 'ego' are wε talking about here? For someone who was willing to let go of his family wealth in order to salvage his people from mass murders? Someone who at that time was already doing well, and was one of the few well educated men of his time deciding to stand up for his people, and u call all that 'huge ego'?

You must be kidding ♍e. This man was a hero, and will forever be regarded as one by his people.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 11:48am On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

I rather look at the perspective from a non-Nigerian, who is able to objectively look at the situation through unbiased lens. That would not include you.
actually that would include me because i dont know much about nigerian politics and neither do i dabble or talk about it. i am neither a tribalist. it is hard for people to view the situation objectively but i can. it would have been in the man and the nations interest to fight a war of inclusion and not a war of secession. he would then be viewed favorably by history and by all.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 11:49am On Dec 03, 2011

Very well said. A foreigner stands a better chance in judging correctly.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 11:51am On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

Its Unfortunate that I can't quote u, but did I hear you say "huge ego"? Come on, you must be kidding ♍e.

What 'ego' are wε talking about here? For someone who was willing to let go of his family wealth in order to salvage his people from mass murders? Someone who at that time was already doing well, and was one of the few well educated men of his time deciding to stand up for his people, and u call all that 'huge ego'?

You must be kidding ♍e. This man was a hero, and will forever be regarded as one by his people.
you obviously dont understand the human spirit well. what is the next level of conquest for people born into wealth and with immense wealth ? POWER. its an aphrodisiac.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 11:54am On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

Very well said. A foreigner stands a better chance in judging correctly.
a foreigner believe it or not will not look at ojukwu favorably. this is why he is not a world icon. what he did in america and britain will result in being drawn and quartered and his head stuck on a pole and placed in trafalgar square for all to see. in america it is called TREASON. punishable by hanging.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 11:54am On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

actually that would include me because i dont know much about nigerian politics and neither do i dabble or talk about it. i am neither a tribalist. it is hard for people to view the situation objectively but i can. it would have been in the man and the nations interest to fight a war of inclusion and not a war of secession. he would then be viewed favorably by history and by all.

Even the foreign men who wrote these articles have more knowledge about Nigeria than you, which is actually sad. Ojukwu supported Nigerian and he was a federalist. The man was against secession, but he had to listen to the will of the people in the former Eastern Region. He was a reluctant leader. Ojukwu had nothing to gain from secession. His father's business was conducted throughout Nigeria. That meant his family lost much, because of the secession. Did you know Ojukwu at that time, was often accused by Igbos as not wanting secession in the beginning?

History is looking favorable on Ojukwu. He did not wish for war. If you know anything about Aburi, Gowon reneged on his promise. Ojukwu had to play the cards that he was dealt.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 11:56am On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

a foreigner believe it or not will not look at ojukwu favorably. this is why he is not a world icon. what he did in america and britain will result in being drawn and quartered and his head stuck on a pole and placed in trafalgar square for all to see. in america it is called TREASON. punishable by hanging.

Sometimes I wonder if you even have a brain or are you that dense? Who are these foreigners that are writing these obituaries that are putting Ojukwu in a favorable light? I mean you really need to use that brain of yours. That foreign education that you have must not have helped, you like it has helped me.

Especially when the article is staring you in your face. Did you even read it? Or like most Nairalanders, are you quick to type before you process information? I cannot be too angry with you, some of us not blessed with keen minds.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 11:59am On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Even the foreign men who wrote these articles have more knowledge about Nigeria than you, which is actually sad. Ojukwu supported Nigerian and he was a federalist. The man was against secession, but he had to listen to the will of the people in the former Eastern Region. He was a reluctant leader. Ojukwu had nothing to gain from secession. His father's business was conducted throughout Nigeria. That meant his family lost much, because of the secession. Did you know Ojukwu at that time, was often accused by Igbos as not wanting secession in the beginning?

History is looking favorable on Ojukwu. He did not wish for war. If you know anything about Aburi, Gowon reneged on his promise. Ojukwu had to play the cards that he was dealt.
the foreign men who wrote the article wrote the article in 1968 when they also were swept by the euphoria of the war. they had to make a case for the man and to sell papers. it was the big world issue of that period. tell me something ? afterwards did you see ojukwu mentioned in any foreign newspaper ? even when he was in hospital in london did you hear one word from british journalists ? NOPE. thats because they dont celebrate treason in england.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 12:00pm On Dec 03, 2011
@ buzugee, Well, you won't get an argument from ♍e, since u have said u don't know about Nigerian politics.

I'll suggest you read the complete history of events that led to the Nigerian civil war. Iτ̅ may suffice you to note that this 'power hungry' man had tried without success, to resolve the then situation in a civilized manner. This 'power hungry' man already wielded some power, as he was the then military governor of the entire east. The war was NEVER a preconceived plan.

At this point, I'll suggest you understand the real reasons and what led to the war.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 12:01pm On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

the foreign men who wrote the article wrote the article in 1968 when they also were swept by the euphoria of the war. they had to make a case for the man and to sell papers. it was the big world issue of that period. tell me something ? afterwards did you see ojukwu mentioned in any foreign newspaper ? even when he was in hospital in london did you hear one word from british journalists ? NOPE. thats because they dont celebrate treason in england.

And you call yourself objective. Who do you think you are fooling? You are not fooling anyone. Like I said, I would rather listen to an unbiased/objective person from a foreign land, who is not swayed by public sentiment or tribal loyalties.

BTW, any people have a right to self-determination. It is a God given right, and if a state cannot protect its people, then it is not fit to govern the people. To make it clearly for you, Nigeria could not protect Igbos from the pogroms in the North. Slaughtered tens of thousands would make any group of people ready to secede and form their own nation. Is that hard to comprehend or do I need ot make it simpler?
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:03pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Sometimes I wonder if you even have a brain or are you that dense? Who are these foreigners that are writing these obituaries that are putting Ojukwu in a favorable light? I mean you really need to use that brain of yours. That foreign education that you have must not have helped, you like it has helped me.

Especially when the article is staring you in your face. Did you even read it? Or like most Nairalanders, are you quick to type before you process information? I cannot be too angry with you, some of us not blessed with keen minds.
you are emotional. caught up in the euphoria of the sentiment swirling around the ikemba, so i would not expect to get a reasonable and objective contribution out of you. coupled with the fact that you are a tribal man whose affinity for the igbos is great. based on that, i think your contributions are mute. now dont get me wrong now, the man is a strong brave man. i give him that. he is a man of strong character i give him that. but somehow i dont think the lord will be too happy with him. he was responsible for the loss of 1 million lives. children of the tribe of Gad. 1 million of em. nearly genocided.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 12:04pm On Dec 03, 2011
buzugee:

you are emotional. caught up in the euphoria of the sentiment swirling around the ikemba, so i would not expect to get a reasonable and objective contribution out of you. coupled with the fact that you are a tribal man whose affinity for the igbos is great. based on that, i think your contributions are mute. now dont get me wrong now, the man is a strong brave man. i give him that. he is a man of strong character i give him that. but somehow i dont think the lord will be too happy with him. he was responsible for the loss of 1 million lives. children of the tribe of Gad. 1 million of em. nearly genocided.

No use arguing with a fool.

Read the article. No foreign reporter has EVER blamed Ojukwu for the civil war. None of the obituaries blame him. History speaks for itself. As much as you choose to ignore it. You have some nerve calling yourself unbiased. What else do you call yourself?

End of discussion.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:06pm On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

@ buzugee, Well, you won't get an argument from ♍e, since u have said u don't know about Nigerian politics.

I'll suggest you read the complete history of events that led to the Nigerian civil war. Iτ̅  may suffice you to note that this 'power hungry' man had tried without success, to resolve the then situation in a civilized manner. This 'power hungry' man already wielded some power, as he was the then military governor of the entire east. The war was NEVER a preconceived plan.

At this point, I'll suggest you understand the real reasons and what led to the war.
when i say i dont know about nigerian politics. i mean i do not follow it religiously. i know enough to know that Ojukwu should have fought a war of inclusion not exclusion. FIRST OFF THAT TELLS ME THE MAN HAS NO VISION, you think you can win a war with the might of the nigerian army ? this is like a rat taking on a lion. shows me the mans mindset. he is blinded by his ambition. but he was young so i can overlook his shortcomings
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by nanidee(f): 12:07pm On Dec 03, 2011
@ Eze Uche, don't be too harsh. . . Lol. He just doesn't understand the story well enough.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:07pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

No use arguing with a fool. Read the article. No foreign correspondent has blamed Ojukwu for the civil war. None of the obituaries blame him.

End of discussion.
they dont blame him because thats not what foreign correspondents do. they objectively report on issues not form their own opinions.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by buzugee(m): 12:09pm On Dec 03, 2011
nanidee:

@ Eze Uche, don't be too harsh. . . Lol. He just doesn't understand the story well enough.
nothing to understand their. the mans ego was too huge to see the absurdity in taking on a lion when. like i said he was young. we shall overlook his short-sightedness. nevertheless he is a great man.
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by namfav(m): 12:10pm On Dec 03, 2011
in the end he lost to a greater force
Re: The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel by EzeUche(m): 12:10pm On Dec 03, 2011
Kizilala:

Ojukwu's hand in events that helped create a perception of Africa as a place of endless suffering is a mixed legacy. Although the image is humiliating, and increasingly inaccurate, it was that same image that gave birth to the idea of international humanitarian intervention. Inside Nigeria, Ojukwu's legacy is viewed more positively. The Biafra war cast a mold for much of Nigeria's subsequent internal strife. The dynamic of north-south rivalry and authoritarian state vs. secessionist rebel persists to this day in the conflicts between the government and rebels in the Delta and Muslim militants in the northeast. By the stance he took, Ojukwu personified the understanding that Nigeria is often a nation often divided, sometimes violently, by genuine grievance. That insight led President Goodluck Jonathan to pay him an unusually nuanced tribute. Ojukwu's "immense love of his people, justice, equity and fairness," said Jonathan, "forced him into the leading role he played in the Nigerian civil war." For many Nigerians, and certainly for the Igbos, Ojukwu will be cherished as someone who refused to compromise on freedom to an overbearing state. "He will be remembered for many things, top of which is freedom and emancipation of our people," said chief Ralph Uwazurike of the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra. "The Igbo can never forget him for that."

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2101162,00.html

This is what Ojukwu represents. He is the man that shown the world that Nigeria is not a united nation. And each day, he is being proved right.

History looks favorably on those who speak the truth, even though they may not be taken seriously in their present time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

El Rufai Call For 400% Hike In Electricty Tariff / APC Raps FG Over Abandonment Of Enugu Coal Deposit / Why are Yorubas Against Igbo Secession?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.