Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. (17442 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / We Should Support Initiatives To Promote Various Nigerian Cultures / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 8:11am On Dec 03, 2011
This thread is meant for us to an observation at the similar yet distinct cultural patterns that are found throughout the cultures of Midwest and the East. If you take a look at the first two pictures, you will see two elegant Edo maidens.

Take notice of the braiding style with which their hair is braided and also notice the bead shawl.

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 8:13am On Dec 03, 2011
Now take a look at the next two pictures, and youll see Igbo maidens also with similar attire and notice the way their head beads are ornamented and also the presence of the bead shawl.

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 8:23am On Dec 03, 2011
Although its clear that the Urhobo and Edo are related, please take a look at this picture of an Urhobo maiden for comparison's sake.

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 8:59am On Dec 03, 2011
Now, compare this Ijaw woman's traditional attire (disregard her blouse and wrapper) with that of her Igbo counterpart.

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 9:02am On Dec 03, 2011
Compare these Igbo men to their Efik counterparts. Try to find distinctions. grin

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 9:14am On Dec 03, 2011
Compare and contrast this Ijaw woman's attire (minus her blouse and wrapper) with that of her Igbo counterpart.

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by Afam4eva(m): 5:50pm On Dec 03, 2011
I'm really not surprised when i see similarities between southern Igbos and Efik/Ibibios. They're kinda inter mixed.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 9:46pm On Dec 03, 2011
afam4eva:

I'm really not surprised when i see similarities between southern Igbos and Efik/Ibibios. They're kinda inter mixed.

How so?
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by NegroNtns(m): 12:31am On Dec 04, 2011
Nna, what are you comparing. . . .what is the basis for comparison whe we kow that Edo influenced the Igbos on the western bank of River Niger? You should showcase your inheritance from Edo rather than making it appear the two are peer civilizations.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:58am On Dec 04, 2011
afam4eva:

I think you mean eastern Igbo.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 04, 2011
odumchi:

(disregard her blouse and wrapper) .

Hmmm[b]Whats on your mind?[/b] grin grin
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by otokx(m): 11:59am On Dec 04, 2011
Lie lie wan start, why must they not be satisfied in their own land? Leave mid west and south south alone. Is it by force?
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by OneNaira6: 12:08pm On Dec 04, 2011
otokx:

Lie lie wan start, why must they not be satisfied in their own land? Leave mid west and south south alone. Is it by force?

Why must kids talk when adults conversant eeh. I am from the South-South and I'm Igbo, what do you have to say now eeh? There are Igbo communities scattered all over south-south and midwest, na by force to take people away from their hometown just to satisfy your bigotry. The OP didnot even mention land but culture, haba must you all talk.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by OneNaira6: 12:10pm On Dec 04, 2011
^^^^^@OP

Not surprising at all. After all, this groups interacted with each other for generations, it would be more of a surprise if culture mixture didnot occur.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ibide(m): 12:27pm On Dec 04, 2011
If u are not from urhobo or edo state u cannot differentiant theis dress but take note urhobo woman wil tile their cloth from waist to down while weman cloth wil not get to down our man hart is like a bolw while ibo own is not we use more beed unlike the ibos that us litle
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by otokx(m): 12:30pm On Dec 04, 2011
keep up the delusions of grandeur.
Apart from ibos in delta state no other place do they exist in south south for it was the evil genius who did what he knows best. Abia and Imo states are not south south tho having some oil reserves. Check for similarities amongst your numerous clans.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by wesley80(m): 12:34pm On Dec 04, 2011
otokx:

Apart from ibos in delta state no other place do they exist in south south for it was the evil genius who did what he knows best. Abia and Imo states are not south south tho having some oil reserves. Check for similarities amongst your numerous clans.  
Next time try to be coherent. Your post can only pass as gibberish.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by otokx(m): 12:39pm On Dec 04, 2011
that was how they lost the biafra war because of grand delusions and self deception.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by OneNaira6: 12:54pm On Dec 04, 2011
otokx:

You are a bonafide 1diot.  Must you engage in something you do not know about

Ezeuche and Igbo boy are from River state. Just a thought for ignorant mind like yours to process.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by marabout(m): 1:04pm On Dec 04, 2011
Poster,

this discussion is only taking place because for too long in Nigeria, we have been too busy using a microscope to look for differences between us while ignoring glaring similarities, perhaps just to justify bigotry. People have moved around in SS/Midwest, SE, SW for thousands of years (migration, conquest and what not), so no surprise that they share some common culture.

The problem I see is that nobody wants to admit that their tribe probably copied certain culture/fashion/religion/food/lifestyle from other tribes as they see it as a sign of inferiority.

Yet we gladly copy western lifestyle today. Why wouldn't have our ancesters copied the latest trend from neighbouring tribes/kingdoms etc, who were probably blood cousins anyway? Or you think they were much diffrent from us? If anything, they were probably more savvy than us and lived on their wits considering they didn't have all the comfort we have today.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:05pm On Dec 04, 2011
Firstly, Igbo women dont have history of wearing beads on their heads because its not our culture at all. Thats strictly Benin style and the smaller kingdoms around them, like uhrobo,afema,okada,akoko edo and co. Even the western Igbos dont wear beads on their heads. It is not Igbo womens attire, its a new trend and foreign and needs to be corrected right away!!

2 Likes

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:19pm On Dec 04, 2011
Igba Odu is female chieftaincy title similar to the prestigious "Nze na Ozo" chieftaincy tradition,which is mostly obtainable in Anambra and Delta Igbos. When a woman takes this great title she will be entitled to lots of privileges and officially qualifies to wear the white elephant tusk on her wrist,and ankle. In antiquity, Igbo women wore beads to their neck,waist and ankle,but our todays women think its out of fashion BUT NOTHING TURNS ME ON LIKE A FINE CHIC WHO WEARS BEADS ON HER WAIST. . .I ran into a calabar chic that had it. . .dont wanna say what I did. .lol
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by okpurukata(f): 2:22pm On Dec 04, 2011
@otox so ethnicities in the SE/SS are now differentiated by who produces oil or not. Its amazing. One day you may even deny andoni is not SS because there is no oil there. You are so childish.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 3:59pm On Dec 04, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Firstly, Igbo women dont have history of wearing beads on their heads because its not our culture at all. Thats strictly Benin style and the smaller kingdoms around them, like uhrobo,afema,okada,akoko edo and co. Even the western Igbos dont wear beads on their heads. It is not Igbo womens attire, its a new trend and foreign and needs to be corrected right away!!

Please, don't bring confusion into our midst. You might want to rethink what you posted.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:22pm On Dec 04, 2011
@ Odumchi,before you start accusing me of something am ignorant of I will like you to explain to me what you find confusing about my post!
Igbo women simply dont wear head beads, I havent seen one myself. If you think I am wrong then bring up some facts and correct me!!
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 4:43pm On Dec 04, 2011
Ok I will bring pictures and etc when i have time.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by cheikh: 5:39pm On Dec 04, 2011
marabout
so no surprise that they share some common culture.

The problem I see is that nobody wants to admit that their tribe probably copied certain culture/fashion/religion/food/lifestyle from other tribes as they see it as a sign of inferiority.

Yet we gladly copy western lifestyle today. Why wouldn't have our ancesters copied the latest trend from neighbouring tribes/kingdoms etc, who were probably blood cousins anyway? Or you think they were much diffrent from us? If anything, they were probably more savvy than us and lived on their wits considering they didn't have all the comfort we have today.

@^^Gbam!!! Very on point!. We are inherently very lazy and ignorant to see the[b] bigger[/b] picture of similarities than divisions/dissimilarities if  any. We seem to be animated and agitated enough by mundane issues than about things that will change our condition as a people hence the politicians are very comfortable in the knowledge that Nigerians will never revolt against them because "nobody wants to admit that their tribe probably copied certain culture/fashion/religion/food/lifestyle from other tribes as they see it as a sign of inferiority". It isn't of course, but a sign of the openness, creativity and adaptive nature of the copying society. Culture like any of the qualities bolded above is not static let alone immutable. After all Nigerians have adopted Jollof rice eating as part of our national staple dishes, but it isn't originally ours as the name denotes obviously to any discerning/informed traveller in Africa.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by benom(m): 8:15pm On Dec 04, 2011
It is a shame how we deliberately cling to the differences in our culture and ignore the similarities. Over the years, our fore fathers have interacted in diverse ways. This interaction have given rise to some glaring similarities between our cultures.

Here in Michigan where I live, there are about 11 tribes. The Chippewas are thought to be the first people to arrive here before the Menominee and Kickapoo tribes. The Huron, Ottawa and Potawatomi tribes arrived later, mainly from Canada and then the African Americans from the Southern United States. They are from different origins but they have continued to live together and highlight their similarities from hundreds of years of interaction.

I am saying this because ignoring our similarities undermines our fore fathers' efforts in interacting with their neighbors in a true spirit of oneness.
This ignorance has continued to tear us apart and we have continued to pass it on.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by Yeske2(m): 8:22pm On Dec 04, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

I don't think so, acculturisation should be encouraged as it helps break down barriers between cultures, it also helps in uniting people into one big melting pot.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by Abagworo(m): 9:04pm On Dec 04, 2011
otokx:

I know where you are coming from.Maybe you have the children of Okpo Nwagidi in mind but mind you some communities continue into different States and these include but not limited to Oyigbo and Egbema.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by asha80(m): 10:36pm On Dec 04, 2011
otokx:

i hope you know that there is egbema in imo state?
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by igboboy1(m): 11:38pm On Dec 04, 2011
otokx:

Mumu hope you know say my maternal part of the family are from Rivers, try coming up with a better lie

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? / The Spirit Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.