Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again (3824 Views)

Buhari: We Should Never Allow Any Group To Hold Us To Ransom / Why Sambo Dasuki Will Never Allow Buhari To Rule Nigeria / IBB And Kaduna Mafia Will Never Allow A Buhari Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by purplelady: 2:06pm On Dec 03, 2011
I once heard this story that after the civil war, nigeria currency was changed. The word 'NAIRA' was agreed on, meaning Never Allow Igbos Rule Again.This was beleived to be because of the fear of what might happen,if there is an igbo president. How true is this?
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Kizilala: 2:27pm On Dec 03, 2011
This is my first time of hearing this.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by purplelady: 2:41pm On Dec 03, 2011
Can historians on NL tell us why the word NAIRA was picked for our currency?
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Sinachay: 2:44pm On Dec 03, 2011
hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. . . .!
Nice one.
Frankly do not care who rules Nigeria or if this acronym is true or false.
I love the humor. cheesy

Na werrin 'Kobo' come mean na? cheesy
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Afam4eva(m): 2:51pm On Dec 03, 2011
I'm hearing this for the first time. I've not bothered to check up on the meaning of Naira.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Rhino5dm: 2:52pm On Dec 03, 2011
KOBO= Kill Ojukwu Before Others. shocked
Sinachay:

hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. . . .!
Nice one.
Frankly do not care who rules Nigeria or if this acronym is true or false.
I love the humor. cheesy

Na werrin 'Kobo' come mean na? cheesy
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by alexleo(m): 2:57pm On Dec 03, 2011
@Rhino,
na wetin now? Lol,  U still remember this, how old r u? It reminds me of the good old days when we were growing up.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by purplelady: 2:59pm On Dec 03, 2011
Am surprised people are saying this new to them. I heard it a couple of years back. The death of ojukwu and the unearthing of a lot of things that led to the civil war,made me remember.
@kill ojukwu before others. Lwkmd
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by nduchucks: 3:05pm On Dec 03, 2011
Sorry to break the hearts of the bigots and racists among us, but  the meaning of Naira name is Shinning, glittering. It is not a very uncommon name of a female Muslim. We all know that Nigerians are predominantly Moslims, so the islamic influence in some of this matters is not suprising given the point in history when the currency was named.

I can see that some unrepentant biafran cry babies have found another sorry excuse for self pity
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Rhino5dm: 3:07pm On Dec 03, 2011
Nwokem bia, biko i was just joking ooh.

alexleo:

@Rhino,
na wetin now? Lol, U still remember this, how old r u? It reminds me of the good old days when we were growing up.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Abagworo(m): 3:35pm On Dec 03, 2011
This belongs to the jokes session. A very nice joke. I'm a millio-NAIRE(NAIRA).
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Afam4eva(m): 4:02pm On Dec 03, 2011
Lol @ Nigerians are predominantly moslems.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 03, 2011
So, Nairaland is Never Allow Igbo Rule Again Land. Hmn. Na waa.

Kobo; Kill Ojukwu Before Others!!! LOL grin grin grin grin
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by alexleo(m): 6:31pm On Dec 03, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Nwokem bia, biko i was just joking ooh.

Yeah I know you are joking. I am too. cheers.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by dempeople(m): 6:44pm On Dec 03, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Sorry to break the hearts of the bigots and racists among us, but  the meaning of Naira name is Shinning, glittering. It is not a very uncommon name of a female Muslim. We all know that Nigerians are predominantly Moslims, so the islamic influence in some of this matters is not suprising given the point in history when the currency was named.

I can see that some unrepentant biafran cry babies have found another sorry excuse for self pity

Your evidence please?
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Afam4eva(m): 6:46pm On Dec 03, 2011
dem_people:

Your evidence please?

Don't mind him. he just makes bogus statements that he can't backup. The Islamic north have succeeded in giving foreigners the opinion that there are more Muslims than Christians in Nigeria.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by mrmayor(m): 7:05pm On Dec 03, 2011
NAIRA:  NEVER ALLOW IJAWS RULE ANYTIME  grin

NAIRA: NEVER ALLOW IBIBIOS RULE ALSO
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by nduchucks: 7:45pm On Dec 03, 2011
afam4eva:

Don't mind him. he just makes bogus statements that he can't backup. The Islamic north have succeeded in giving foreigners the opinion that there are more Muslims than Christians in Nigeria.

Can you disprove the fact that Moslems make up 55% or more of the SW population and over 70% of the entire Northern areas? Remember that there are Moslems in the SE and SS as well. I suspect that you are in denial of obvious facts.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Onlytruth(m): 7:48pm On Dec 03, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Can you disprove the fact that Moslems make up 55% or more of the SW population and over 70% of the entire Northern areas?  Remember that there are Moslems in the SE and SS as well. I suspect that you are in denial of obvious facts.

My friend one of these days, international statistical experts will expose the truth about Nigeria's population.
You people cannot keep these lies going much longer. BTW there are not up to 1% of muslims in the East.  cool
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by dempeople(m): 9:47pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

My friend one of these days, international statistical experts will expose the truth about Nigeria's population.
You people cannot keep these lies going much longer. BTW there are not up to 1% of muslims in the East.  cool

I concur. cool
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Kobojunkie: 10:19pm On Dec 03, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

[size=16pt]KOBO= Kill Ojukwu Before Others[/size]. shocked

That is hillarious . .  .   
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by sheyguy: 10:53pm On Dec 03, 2011
They 've already sneaked one through the backdoor in person of G. E. J. Azikiwe. Too late
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Sinachay: 12:37am On Dec 04, 2011
Abi oooooooooooooooh
Ojukwu did not die before others.

Score card?

0%. grin
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Kobojunkie: 2:39am On Dec 04, 2011
Seriously, this thread ought to be on the front page so other loonies can post their own screw-brained ideas of what common words translate to. ROFLMAO!
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by purplelady: 3:16am On Dec 04, 2011
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by dayokanu(m): 5:37am On Dec 04, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by adamabdul: 6:50am On Dec 04, 2011
ndu_chucks:

FROM NUR?
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 04, 2011
Lmao @ kill oju-iku before others. grin grin
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by emmke(m): 7:01am On Dec 04, 2011
@ndu chuks i heard u are very intelligent, so i should believe u are joking when u said nigerians are predominantly muslims
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by olawalebabs(m): 7:03am On Dec 04, 2011
i want to believe that the op is just trying to relax our nerves with his hilarious jokes.
Re: Naira: Never Allow Igbo Rule Again by nduchucks: 10:54am On Dec 04, 2011
@adamabdul, you are onto something there if you were referrig to An-Nur (or in oher words disambiguation).  You may be a silent student. sanu

@emmke, if you feel threatened by the phrase "predominantly Muslim", hope "majority Muslims" sound less threatening to you.

(1) (Reply)

My Response To The Osun Election Result - Firefire! / ISIS Carries Out Its Worst Executions, Crushes Heads With Huge Croncrete [pics] / See What Happens When You Call Buhari A Dullard In Northeast States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.