Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today (65931 Views)

FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike / See Latest News About ASUU Strike Today / ASUU To Call Off Strike On Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by heavenjoy: 10:45am On Dec 05, 2011
Education in Nigeria is at the lowest ebbs.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 05, 2011
Those of you condemning AASU are just too stupid like your Government. At least read the news and understand why they are going on strike. My uni for example lack almost everything a student.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by PeeDaVinci: 11:08am On Dec 05, 2011
useless govt and ASUU
ASUU's strike over the years has never translated to improved quality of teaching and research, however, as we've seen, it's always yielded more pay for the lecturers. wat has these lecturers got to loose if they go on strike? absolutely nothing, and that is why i believe the "no work, no pay" policy should be applied to ASUU (and nigeria public service) so that they will always have to think twice before goin on strike
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Olalekan0(m): 11:29am On Dec 05, 2011
ASUU ARE NOT FIGHTING FOR THE BENEFIT OF NIGERIAN STUDENTS BUT RATHER,THEIR OWN POCKETS IN THEIR TENURE ELONGATION BID

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE WITH THE FUNDS SO FAR RELEASED TO THEM? THE OTHER DAY,UI V.C CLAIMED HE NEEDED 1.2B FOR BOOKS AND 300M FOR TILAPIA FISHES IN AN AQUARIUM.

THEY ARE AS CORRUPT AS THE FEDS
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Mavor: 11:32am On Dec 05, 2011
ASUU needs to be scrapped.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Bawss1(m): 11:52am On Dec 05, 2011
Mavor:

ASUU needs to be scrapped.

Is ASUU really the villain here? Next year when Labor goes on strike because of the removal of fuel subsidy you'll probably call for the scrapping of Labor abi? Get to know the issues that are at stake here and see who really is should be called to order.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by KaceeDcontrol(m): 12:06pm On Dec 05, 2011
For those of u siding ASUU and calling for us to get to know the issues behind the strike, what are the issues behind the strike?
An honest look at the situation shows that ASUU is jus a selfish and hypocritical body and their primary concerns are salary increase and increment of retirement age. Pls tell me how a 70yr old can be effective as a teacher, teach, mark scripts, etc?
We cry about lack of employment yet 70 yr olds are still employed. Retirement age should be 60-62; if after 62 and d lecturer is still needed, he can continue as a contract staff and not a full staff until he is replaced.
The hypocrisy of the body would be exposed once again once their salaries are increased, cos they'll call off immediately. They really dont care about any infrastructure. I spent 5yrs in d university, witnessed many strikes, yet there was little or no improvement in infrastructures. The little improvements were as a result of internal efforts from the school and sponsors.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 12:11pm On Dec 05, 2011
The retirement age is set at 70 and the agreement signed in 2009 was for only the professorial cadre; all other academic staff is 65. For non teaching staff - what we have now appears to be 60 but it was 65 that was signed in the agreement. This current strike is about implementation of an already signed agreement not a new request so government should get their acts together.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by slap1(m): 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2011
joselekas:

E bi like say we dey the same boat. My gfrd graduated this year while I ll be graduating nxt year. She don dey complain oooooooo. Wetin we go do?
LOL! No mind me o, I was just joking. . .
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Mosesli: 12:34pm On Dec 05, 2011
ASSU which one u dey now?
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Rhea(f): 12:52pm On Dec 05, 2011
KaceeDcontrol:

For those of u siding ASUU and calling for us to get to know the issues behind the strike, what are the issues behind the strike?
An honest look at the situation shows that ASUU is jus a selfish and hypocritical body and their primary concerns are salary increase and increment of retirement age. Pls tell me how a 70yr old can be effective as a teacher, teach, mark scripts, etc?
We cry about lack of employment yet 70 yr olds are still employed. Retirement age should be 60-62; if after 62 and d lecturer is still needed, he can continue as a contract staff and not a full staff until he is replaced.
The hypocrisy of the body would be exposed once again once their salaries are increased, cos they'll call off immediately. They really dont care about any infrastructure. I spent 5yrs in d university, witnessed many strikes, yet there was little or no improvement in infrastructures. The little improvements were as a result of internal efforts from the school and sponsors.

There is absolutely no reason why a 70 year old person cannot teach. In the US and UK, it is common sight to see lecturers well into their 80s. There are even surgeons that are in their 80s and still active. So 70 today is as young as 50 some years back.

wascom2:

Great nigeria students!!! Great NANS!!! Instead of sitting down at home and folding our arms which is the choice of the FG and ASUU because they are both toying with our life and future. Why can't we express our own grievances through radicals means, let take to the street. We have a role to play in this state of affairs. We can't just sit back and watch this useless and old set of impediment lectures and leaders delay our destiny, while their own children are studying abroad. They have forgotten that an idle hand is the workshop of devil which will sprout other social vices and its associated delinquencies. With this current state of insecurity and instability in this country FG should not render the youth redundant. I think this will only pave the way for more excusable criminal indulgence to be commited. Both FG and ASUU are to be blamed how long will they continue to be dragging the issue of agreement or no agreement. It is quite alright that federal government on their part has failed to secure for nigerian a quality and affordable education. ASUU too will also share part of the blame, they are only being selfish and self-centered. even with the current emolument scale of federal employed lectures they are still getting more paid compared to their counterparts in other notable west african country. It is so saddened that no single professor or doctor in the academics has ever invented any outstanding or significant technology nor have they contributed to the progress of this country with the vast knowledge they claim to have imbibed in their realm of knowledge pursuant. ASUU are only going radical all because of their own selfish goal claiming to stabilize the ivory tower.FG Government has been a total failure in many aspect of their governance, policy failure which has been a driving force of the decaying economical and political state of this country, which also seems to be ubiquitous has been degeneration this country. Great NANS let just speak in one voice and defend our right, because I believe will too have a so say in this issue. FG and ASUU both share the onus.

I completely support your opinion. It is about time Nigerian students put matters into their own hands and picket the national assembly. The crop of lecturers in Nigeria today are either such that their children are now studying overseas or too young to be int he university. A country like Nigeria that exports over 2 million barrels of oil every day can afford the best education system in Africa. Our so called leaders have travelled overseas and seen how things are meant to work. Their indecision and indifference to the plight of education in Nigeria is a clear sign that they do not care about this country. While senators are busy sponsoring stupid bills in the house, NO SENATOR NOR LEGISLATOR is taking any concrete measures to address the rot in our education system.

[size=16pt]SO NIGERIAN STUDENTS, TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR FUTURE. TAKE MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS AND OCCUPY THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY. [/size]
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 12:57pm On Dec 05, 2011
Why are you guys telling lies? How much does a lecturer earn that his child will go to school in the UK? Please let us face the issues.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by texazzpete(m): 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2011
otokx:

Why are you guys telling lies? How much does a lecturer earn that his child will go to school in the UK? Please let us face the issues.

My brother, leave them. Such brainless statements are all too common especially among the large contingent of dolts that inhabit Nairaland.

Ask them how many lecturers can afford to send their kids to the UK.

We hear the same nonsense whenever doctors go on strike people will come here to claim that most doctors are not serious because they have private clinics, as if dem dey take N5000 build private hospital.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 1:51pm On Dec 05, 2011
It is not easy even for lecturers to send their children to the very schools were they work talk less of Europe.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by easrael(f): 3:20pm On Dec 05, 2011
ASUU on strike , SSANU,NASU to join on friday and THINGS GETTING WORSE everyday why is evrytin like this in NIGER AREA
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 3:31pm On Dec 05, 2011
So SSANU and NASU will start on Friday; thought it was Wednesday.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by daphil: 3:58pm On Dec 05, 2011
Some times, I wonder whether people think through their heads at all! So ASUU is fighting for their selfish agenda. No problem! you guys are complaining about "half-baked graduates", it will soon be "non-baked graduates". Continue to support your lamed government actions. "Igbehin lo nyoloku ada" cheesy
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 4:02pm On Dec 05, 2011
How about "certified illiterates" ?
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Goddys(m): 4:10pm On Dec 05, 2011
I think Unilag needs to be reprimanded by ASUU for not giving heed to the instruction of ASUU chairman. Lectures were held in all departments of study at unilag, and the students were admonished by different lecturers to disregard the threats of strike by ASUU Chairman.Unilag is a bonafide member of ASUU,and i believe that their act of disobedience tantamounts to grave punishment.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by daphil: 4:11pm On Dec 05, 2011
I was in a workshop few years ago when a professor ( a Nigerian) from one of the state universities in USA said that education took the lion share of the his state government's budget. That as a matter of fact, he earns more than his state governor. undecided
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by chinnyonwu(m): 6:13pm On Dec 05, 2011
But then we had lectures here in ABU.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Tinyemeka(m): 8:17pm On Dec 05, 2011
Goddys:

I think Unilag needs to be reprimanded by ASUU for not giving heed to the instruction of ASUU chairman. Lectures were held in all departments of study at unilag, and the students were admonished by different lecturers to disregard the threats of strike by ASUU Chairman.Unilag is a bonafide member of ASUU,and i believe that their act of disobedience tantamounts to grave punishment.

WHAT ARE YOU?!
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by otokx(m): 8:24pm On Dec 05, 2011
ABU, UNILAG and UNILORIN do not move with ASUU,
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Tinyemeka(m): 8:45pm On Dec 05, 2011
I don't have much to say. Back then in 2002/2003, the most common ASUU grouse was the re-instatement of the 47 sacked UniIlorin lecturers. The complaint and strike threat kept coming up till my school just upped and left the ASUU union and they never looked back ever since. I don't know what became of those 47 lecturers.

My advice to intending undergraduates is this: if you don't have the funding to go to a Private or foreign Uni, pls look for a good school that has been confirmed not to be a member of ASUU. I'm aware of UniZik, Awka and FUTO, Owerri and it's not surprising to know that they have the fastest calendar in the SE and SS zone. There would most likely be other schools which do not belong to ASUU. So make your choice wisely.

In these schools I mentioned, their sch fees are not that different frm their ASUU contemporaries, they receive funding frm the same Fed Govt budget, yet are better rated, so what please is the advantage of being an ASUU member? ASUU proponents shld pls let me know.

In my opinion, ASUU is simply a body that was set up to enshrine mediocrity in our educational system and celebrate anachronistic assumed control of govt thru the so-called unionism.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by AVB: 10:25pm On Dec 05, 2011
@Goddys u re a bloddy liar my friends nd ex classmates who ar studyin at unilag sed dey had no lectures n lecturers did not show up so stop spreadin false rumors here.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by sshalom(m): 12:26am On Dec 06, 2011
This is absolutely unnecessary and I don't see how their agitation add up to going on strike after each disagreement.
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Jasiel(f): 12:31am On Dec 06, 2011
@ tinyemeka
How did u know classes were held today @ unilag?
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Relax101(m): 12:55am On Dec 06, 2011
Question: Between ASUU in Nigeria and Thunder who strike pass abeg i need to know
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by Jasiel(f): 12:58am On Dec 06, 2011
Word
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by whyx06(m): 3:21am On Dec 06, 2011
goodluck as now u-TURN to BADLUCK,
ASUU are not to be blame but ur gov is to blame
Our legislative arms is busy on sex, how to buy 2brand new honda car costly like #702m to 105 senators ,
Nigeria in shame!!!
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by OmichaelO: 6:21am On Dec 06, 2011
we had only 1 lecture yday down here @unilag
Re: ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today by texazzpete(m): 7:09am On Dec 06, 2011
Relax101:

Question: Between ASUU in Nigeria and Thunder who strike pass abeg i need to know

Thunder does not 'strike'. Lightning does.

You see what we're talking about? Someone who probably considers himself a graduate does not even know the difference between thunder and lightning and he will start blaming ASUU!!! angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SA Daycare Suddenly Has Tigers Living Next Door, Looking Over The Wall (PIX) / After Finishing Further Maths Exam(photo) / Photo Of A Curvy High School Teacher Got Men Talking On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.