Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? (2007 Views)

Boluwatife Tijani, 12-year-old girl wins spelling bee competition in Lagos / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right / 15-Year-old Ibukun Omoyeni Wins Africa's Trophy For Spelling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by raldsfield(m): 9:31pm On Mar 10, 2006
Man this worries me like hell, I have lost my confidence in spelling, it not like there was ever a time i had to rely on myself to spell every word i want to use but is so bad now.

Has anyone been through this, I don't expect anyone to be able to spell everything in the world, but i can't spell things listening to their pronouncation.

Do you have an idea of how i can improve myself e.g programs or books. I know that being a good speller will make me more competent in my work.

Thank God for spelling checker but sometime one has to write with pe cool
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:34pm On Mar 10, 2006
im soo lucky my spelling and english are ''perfect'' wink mine is natural but i guess you can read lots of books in your leisure hours that might help wink
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by raldsfield(m): 9:49pm On Mar 10, 2006
I do read, can pronoun words, but tell me to spell it is another case. My search on the net said that spelling is by memory

I don't remember things i see in a flash, I was reading a book and it asked the colour of my door from the outside, you won't believe that i didn't know the colour. That was because I have never spent time standing outside, you know the cold here.

Thanks for your advice, Maybe spelling is a gift.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by nferyn(m): 9:59pm On Mar 10, 2006
You should check out whether or not your dyslectic. My wife is and being dyslectic has got a serious impact on your spelling abilities.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by raldsfield(m): 10:11pm On Mar 10, 2006
nferyn thanks for your advice, during my research i came across that word dyslexia for the first time.

i have had the promble since my childhood. I remember my father shouting at me when i was 10 years old i went to the same school with my younger sister and she spelt things better than me. At the end I used maths to make up for my lapse.

Mean while how do i know if am dyslectic.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Consultant(f): 10:49pm On Mar 10, 2006
A practical solution is to put up a notice board in your room. Pick out one word per day (or per week, whatever time frame works for you), and write it on the board. Everytime you walk by, pause and commit the spelling to memory. If you do one a day, you would have learnt how to spell 365 more words in a year.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:51pm On Mar 10, 2006
maybe some quiet time on your own learning abc will help wink wink cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by raldsfield(m): 11:06pm On Mar 10, 2006
Rhodalyn

it is not that bad, am a graduate. And I wrote my exams by myself and i graduated once if you know what i mean.

I just want to be more effective with my spelling cheesy
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Rhodalyn(f): 11:08pm On Mar 10, 2006
congrats!!!!!!! kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
im sure you'll be fine then, i'll ask my mom what can be done to help but dont be to stressed about it because it's something most people experience cheesy wink
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by raldsfield(m): 11:24pm On Mar 10, 2006
Rhodalyn
I will thank you again. I just feel that I should improve myself.

So that I can write more effectively. You won't understand what I mean anyway.

But i will wait for your mum's advice.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Dauda(m): 4:35am On Mar 11, 2006
Readers digest is a perfect reading material. That will sure help you with spelling. Avoid soft sell magazines because some of their spellings are "street spellings" which are not necessarily correct.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by raldsfield(m): 3:01pm On Mar 11, 2006
Consultant,

You are a real Consultant, your advice worked, guess I have been wasting my time thinking about my problem

and not working to improve it, your advice was 1 word a day, i learned 5 in three minute, my method, am reading a book

now, when i get to a word am sure i can't spell, i pause and learn the spelling before i continue, specially for words I use often.

You Guys have been great. I plan to learn spelling of 10 words everyday. in one week I should be confident with a library of

70 new words spelt with confidence.

cool
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by mamaput(f): 11:52pm On Mar 11, 2006
I have that problem too. And its only when i came to germany i found out what its all about.
My daughter has it too
But that did not stop her from making the best result of her whole set when she passed out of her school. (jr high)
It still brings down her notes and that es why she too is more maths inclined.
she says she loves subjects were she can figure out her self how to come on the answer like maths.

1 Like

Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by raldsfield(m): 11:33am On Mar 12, 2006
Mamaput,

This is working for me big time now, it is slowing down my reading. But am paying attention the spellings and

in two days i have improved greatly. I was very good in maths not bragging I made a 2.1 in my Uni.

But i think you can help your daughter improve her spelling just like am doing. There is no way one will escape writing and that is

why i have decided to give this problem a fight. I still love maths, if i have to climb to the highest position in my career,

i will have to write reports, do presentations. It is a fight that am going to conquer. And from me thumb-up to your lovely

daughter. cool
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by mamaput(f): 3:31pm On Mar 12, 2006
For me it is worse because i live in Germany .
My English is becoming very rusty because i hardly use it.
i write very often sie instead of she and i mix up[b] ie [/b] and ei .Because i think German first now and write in English.
But spelling in German is easier than English because you write it the way you hear it and the way the alphabets are pronounced,

With numbers its even worse because they are read the other way round
58= fifty and 8
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Seun(m): 10:45pm On Mar 12, 2006
mamaput? Sie is bieKomieng German.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Hotstepper(f): 2:35am On Mar 14, 2006
mine is sumtimes, i can pronounce sumthing inside me but pronouncing out is a problem, itz natural in me and i just hate it thats why I talk alot and engage myself with public speaking and presentations, thank God for ma course which involves alot of that.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Reba(f): 8:47am On Mar 15, 2006
grin grin I have been waiting for Rhod's mum's advice but they are hardly coming.Whats up gal come on may be we can learn from it all of us.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 15, 2006
If you can't spell by the age of 8, it's too late smiley
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by shockreaction(m): 8:57pm On Mar 15, 2006
Well, the dictionary is quite handy.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Hunter(m): 12:22am On Mar 16, 2006
I'm usually not to bad at spelling (most of my problems come from typing too fast etc) :-)
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by raldsfield(m): 10:55pm On Mar 16, 2006
This has been my personal problem which I shared to find solution, as they said a problem shared is have solved.

I have researched into this problem, and have come up with encouraging results. Since Rhod has not yet come back from

seeing her Mum [/b]and thus has not brought back the much awaited solution to this problem, I got some new tips to improve

my spelling and anyother person that is interested.

1, Write out the words you want to learn a book.

2, Make a flash card or flash cards, carry these words in your pocket and when ever you think you have forgotten the word

the spelling bring it out and cross check.

3, look at the word
cover the word,
write the word out
check if you wrote it correctly.

4 , There are words that have letters with silent pronunciation eg [b]k
in Knife, w in wright. So watch out for such words

5, Try breaking down the word into bits, eg ambulance = am- bu-lance, emergency = e- mer- gen- cy.

6, Know some root words, eg knowing how to spell agree means you will be able to spell (a) disagree (b) agreed

Hope you find the information useful. cool
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by nuggard(m): 3:00pm On Apr 03, 2006
no spelling is not my problem.I can count up to 5 with my toes and fingers. Any other thing is a little more difficult for me. cheesy
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by lauren804(f): 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2006
i have a 5 grade spelling level and , but i am in 10th grade , and a cologe reading level sadsadsad
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Nobody: 12:19am On Jun 25, 2006
sometimes
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by Shagari2(m): 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2006
Hi Raldsfield, wow! its so nice to know I'm not alone! thot I was dyslexic or somin! I can't spell to save my life! like u a graduate, was a straight A student and all that but ask me to spell my own name and all hell brakes loose, its unbelievable! the worse is the double letter words, does it have 1 s or 2 s's 1 p or 2, do I use a ph or an f, it flipping drives me mad!  angry
Hey! if you find a cure, holla at me bro!  wink
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by jahlove4jah: 7:51pm On Jan 19, 2015
raldsfield:
Mamaput,

This is working for me big time now, it is slowing down my reading. But am paying attention the spellings and

in two days i have improved greatly. I was very good in maths not bragging I made a 2.1 in my Uni.

But i think you can help your daughter improve her spelling just like am doing. There is no way one will escape writing and that is

why i have decided to give this problem a fight. I still love maths, if i have to climb to the highest position in my career,

i will have to write reports, do presentations. It is a fight that am going to conquer. And from me thumb-up to your lovely

daughter. cool
I love your Uncommon humility. It is easy to tackle our problems when we identify,accept them and resolve to face them. All the best. Just to add, paste any word you are having problem spelling in a place you use often (mirror,refrigerator, beside TV set ) until you master them. When you master them, try to use them often in your writing until you are familiar with them.
Re: Is Spelling Your Biggest Problem? by jahlove4jah: 7:57pm On Jan 19, 2015
raldsfield:
This has been my personal problem which I shared to find solution, as they said a problem shared is have solved.

I have researched into this problem, and have come up with encouraging results. Since Rhod has not yet come back from

seeing her Mum [/b]and thus has not brought back the much awaited solution to this problem, I got some new tips to improve

my spelling and anyother person that is interested.

1, Write out the words you want to learn a book.

2, Make a flash card or flash cards, carry these words in your pocket and when ever you think you have forgotten the word

the spelling bring it out and cross check.

3, look at the word
cover the word,
write the word out
check if you wrote it correctly.

4 , There are words that have letters with silent pronunciation eg [b]k
in Knife, w in wright. So watch out for such words

5, Try breaking down the word into bits, eg ambulance = am- bu-lance, emergency = e- mer- gen- cy.

6, Know some root words, eg knowing how to spell agree means you will be able to spell (a) disagree (b) agreed

Hope you find the information useful. cool

conscience = con+science

(1) (Reply)

Falling Standard Of Education In Nigeria. / Unn Post Ume New Date! / Redeemers University 2012 Admission & Scholarship Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.