Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,286 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! (9718 Views)

More Nigerian-Americans Are Reaching Highest Levels of Sports - NY Times / Overzealousness Amongst Nigerians And Its Andverse Effects / What You May Not Know About Americans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by ZUBY77(m): 5:00pm On Dec 07, 2011
Dont come down here. Why did your father run away in the first place ? Stick with your yankee school shoters , we are fine here without strangers
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by manosteel(m): 5:02pm On Dec 07, 2011
Dear lara, as you know, we are already 150Million people in this in country, so coming back home to add to our already over bloated population, thereby putting additional pressure on the already over-stretched economy will not be in our own interest. If I may ask, abi u wan come to invest? if the answer is no, I will suggest, why don't you try Ghana or Liberia, or just stay where you are. At least make we ourselves just dey here dey manage.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Walala(m): 5:05pm On Dec 07, 2011
As a Nigerian who was born in the states but grew up in Nigeria, I can tell you that how you are viewed should not matter much to you because it will seem like you are trying to fit in or be embraced by the culture.  It is your father's culture and you have every right to learn and embrace it.  If you act like you are trying to fit, some dubious Nigerians will see a weakness and take advantage of it because it will be similar to a White person saying I love Nigerians and I want to fit in.  Even some Nigerians who were born in Nigeria don't know their real culture , so if you do your research, you will be more versed in your culture than they are.  

But to answer your topic, I view Nigerian Americans differently based on what comes out of their mouths,  If I meet one who says silly things like I am not Nigerian but my parents are, I think of them as misguided and lost.  But if one speaks well of Nigeria and understands the importance of their heritage like you, then respect is the only thing they get from me.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Walala(m): 5:07pm On Dec 07, 2011
ZUBY77:

Dont come down here. Why did your father run away in the first place ? Stick with your yankee school shoters , we are fine here without strangers

You are a foolish person. What makes you think you are fine over there? As Fela said "Suffering and Smiling",
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by hajifaty: 5:08pm On Dec 07, 2011
@poster. nigerians are lovely people and they will always embrace u with open arm but there is one thing. Respect is reciprocal in Nigeria.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 5:11pm On Dec 07, 2011
I just want to clear up a few things. Im not denying the fact that I'm Nigerian. However, I will not discredit my mother's heritage in which she was African-American. This is who I am and I can fully say that I am Nigerian-American. It was not my father alone who made me. I am just curious if I would be viewed differently if not, that would be perfect!!  smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by cold(m): 5:15pm On Dec 07, 2011
moderatorr:

@OP
in nigeria
we dont expect our women to have 'equal rights' with us.
We are the CEO
no co-founder thing.
Only on that establishment can we trully serve, love and kill for u.
So if you you are carrying that US women rights thing in your brain, all your relationships will fail or end in a yahoo+ (you know how we do')
also note that muslims and traditionalist have polygamous tendencies.
Depends on what you want.
welcome to NIGERIA.
at least for one thing, learn pidgeon english its so easy.
I've seen french ladies speaking it.
Also when you are here blend in, dont form anything.(we know US as much as you do).
Our legal and policing systems are a confused duo. So when you get your car bashed get ready for royal rumble there at the middle of the road!
Haha,interesting take there
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 5:17pm On Dec 07, 2011
@Walala thanks for your comment.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 07, 2011
There are many people of your type living and working in Nigeria,so you will not be the first and you will not be the last,Get education and finace and you will be comfortable living In Nigeria
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 5:22pm On Dec 07, 2011
@dayokanu, thanks for your response and suggestion! I live in Atlanta, Georgia.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 5:23pm On Dec 07, 2011
@olas2u, it is nice to know that! Thanks for the advice! smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 5:31pm On Dec 07, 2011
@hajifaty Thanks!
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by CyberG: 5:37pm On Dec 07, 2011
You are certainly well-accepted already! The Yorubas are perhaps the most accepting and friendliest of the many peoples in Nigeria. Your dad will tell you more just ask him.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by sesman(m): 5:47pm On Dec 07, 2011
CyberG:

You are certainly well-accepted already! The Yorubas are perhaps the most accepting and friendliest of the many peoples in Nigeria. Your dad will tell you more just ask him.

This should be your first port of call, ask your dad and perhaps other family members and then take it from there, Goodluck
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Mannyla: 5:55pm On Dec 07, 2011
If any1 cannot accept u for who u are and ur heritage, then they do not deserve a min of ur time. Trust me, there are lots of nigerians (both good and bad) just like any other country. Some will welcome u with open arms, some will try to take advantage of u, some haters will try to put u down for having American affiliations. We call the latter Bad belles (pronounced beh-lehs). A lot of them suffer from delusions of grandeur and are insufferable. Dont worry, as long as u're not too naive or too bias, u'll be fine. smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Mannyla: 5:56pm On Dec 07, 2011
And try not to get caught up in the ethnocentricity of the ave nigerian. Every1 thinks their tribe is special. All delusions of grandeur and uniqueness
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Fawaz30(m): 5:58pm On Dec 07, 2011
I must say i agree with Cap28, theres no such thing as a Nigerian American, I was born in Britain and would never call myself English,

Proud Nigerian Mama
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2011
@Mannyla Thanks for that! I do not think that anyways. I feel all tribes of Nigeria are beautiful and unique! smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tpia5: 6:00pm On Dec 07, 2011
What about your dad's relatives @ poster.

Shouldnt they be your first port of call.

This is very puzzling.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by anonymous6(f): 6:02pm On Dec 07, 2011
Walala:

As a Nigerian who was born in the states but grew up in Nigeria, I can tell you that how you are viewed should not matter much to you because it will seem like you are trying to fit in or be embraced by the culture.  It is your father's culture and you have every right to learn and embrace it.  If you act like you are trying to fit, some dubious Nigerians will see a weakness and take advantage of it because it will be similar to a White person saying I love Nigerians and I want to fit in.  Even some Nigerians who were born in Nigeria don't know their real culture , so if you do your research, you will be more versed in your culture than they are.  

But to answer your topic, I view Nigerian Americans differently based on what comes out of their mouths,  If I meet one who says silly things like I am not Nigerian but my parents are, I think of them as misguided and lost.  But if one speaks well of Nigeria and understands the importance of their heritage like you, then respect is the only thing they get from me.  

excellent statement, I have bumped into those type of Nigerians too, I always consider them fake or lost Nigerians
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 6:05pm On Dec 07, 2011
@tpia Im not at all close to my dad's relatives that are here with me. Sad, but true.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by anonymous6(f): 6:06pm On Dec 07, 2011
tadelara:

@Mannyla Thanks for that! I do not think that anyways. I feel all tribes of Nigeria are beautiful and unique! smiley

I must add though which I feel some people who responded touched base on that the first person who should guide you in embracing your culture is your father, he is the one that will always be with you, so he should be your primary source.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 6:16pm On Dec 07, 2011
@anonymous6 you are right! I will discuss this matter with my father. Again, thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions. I can't say it enough!! smiley smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tpia5: 6:19pm On Dec 07, 2011
If you're not close to your dad's side then i guess you'll have to rely on friends and probably start from or remain mainly in lagos if you decide to visit nigeria.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 6:31pm On Dec 07, 2011
@tpia ok I will consider that. Thanks.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by caseymoney(m): 6:33pm On Dec 07, 2011
If you are born in the UK, that does not translate to English until certain requirements are met. If your born in the US or born outside the US by a US parent. You still remain an American even if your parents are Nigerian and holds a US citizen. I hate when people from Nigeria extension called UK come online thinking they know what's obtainable in the western world. Again, she didn't claim she's not Nigerian, so why the beef. She's a US-Nigerian breed. If you got nothing to say please take your hands off that keyboard.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by caseymoney(m): 6:36pm On Dec 07, 2011
@tadelara, can we talk off line? I may need your assistance since you reside in ATL.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Wallie(m): 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2011
lol, Naija!!!!

The OP is Nigerian since she chose to be associated as such and she's also American by virtue of her birth. Why can't she call herself Nigerian-American? Generally, she can be referred to as African American but specifically, she's Nigerian-American or American of Nigerian heritage.

OP, my suggestion is to try to visit Nigeria more often so that you can learn the nuances/experiences that make Nigerians "Nigerians."
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by werepeLeri: 6:46pm On Dec 07, 2011
OP.

This is a wrong place to seek advice. Most of the people giving you advice havent been in Nigeria for ages - they are abroad and at best, you know about Nigeria much more better than them. And in most cases, these are people who have given up on Nigeria and anything Nigeria- you want to come back, while they are cursing Nigeria and wishing never to step their foot on Nigerian soil anymore. Look, dont take most of the advice serious, like I said, you know better than most of them, this is NairaLand. Some will even try to scam you, ask for pictures, phone numbers etc. Some are doubting your sincerity already. Come on. Be wise and do your own findings outside NL.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 6:48pm On Dec 07, 2011
@caseymoney Sometimes I assume that people do not comprehend when they read, which is fine by me. That is why I do not respond to those who clearly wont take out the time to read a paragraph in it's entirety. Im happy that you did, Thanks!! smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 6:51pm On Dec 07, 2011
@Wallie thanks!
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 6:55pm On Dec 07, 2011
@werepeLeri, Thanks for your concern but I am aware of scammers. For your information, I'm not posting pics, or giving out my phone number, or providing my address for people to contact me on this matter. Lol!! I was just a little curious that is why I decided to post this topic on here. Again thanks for your opinion! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria / Yoruba Hebrew Heritage (Thanksgiving Thread) / Anaku Community Denies Appeasing Deity With Human Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.