Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,418 members, 7,781,215 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:46 AM

How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! (9704 Views)

More Nigerian-Americans Are Reaching Highest Levels of Sports - NY Times / Overzealousness Amongst Nigerians And Its Andverse Effects / What You May Not Know About Americans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Wallie(m): 7:17pm On Dec 07, 2011
@tadelara

Do you have any Nigerian traits in you (mannerisms, food, culture, language etc)?

I have a friend that has never being to Nigeria but she has the funniest imitation of her parent’s Nigerian accent. The first time I heard her imitation, I almost died of laughter because it was so unexpected! I guess growing up in a Nigerian household does rob off!

I remember being in an elevator once in Boston, and a woman and her son were trying to get it but there was a very large woman slightly blocking the entrance. On getting in, the woman told her son in Yoruba that he should look at the woman occupying a space for four people. I looked at her and smiled, and she wondered why I was smiling. Then I told her that I understood what she said. She was so embarrassed!

Moral of the story, understanding the language is extremely helpful:-)
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Ogosoga: 7:31pm On Dec 07, 2011
Lara, one of the good advice is join Nerians organization in atlanta, I know that there is ondo forum in atlanta,
also get associated with Negerians both men and women and that will in no distance time fufill your dreams.
Negeria is a good place so your dream is a good one and I beleive that you will achieve it without much strugle,
all you need is take the first step by joining any of the Nigerian cutural forum and very soon you will blend.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Wukari(m): 7:36pm On Dec 07, 2011
Nigerians at home thinks it a plesure to co-relate wth strangers,howmuch more wth one of there own. We r positive wth peaple like u.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by honeric01(m): 7:52pm On Dec 07, 2011
@OP

if you are VERY serious, then read and READ what moderator wrote carefully, to fit in here, you must be familiar with all that he wrote.

no freaking equality yadayada here o except the guy wants it, you cant force that on any Nigerian bred guy over-here.

one more thing, the Yoruba tribe (some) are very promiscuous and ready to marry more if you don't give birth on time, very normal for some of them to play away game even while married to you.

And please, no forming for your neighbors, and no calling of police when you see your neighbors quarreling or fighting, they can sort themselves pretty well without the help of any police man.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Wallie(m): 8:07pm On Dec 07, 2011
honeric01:

@OP

if you are VERY serious, then read and READ what moderator wrote carefully, to fit in here, you must be familiar with all that he wrote.

no freaking equality yadayada here o except the guy wants it, you cant force that on any Nigerian bred guy over-here.

one more thing, the Yoruba tribe (some) are very promiscuous and read to marry more if you don't give birth on time, very normal for some of them to play away game even while married to you.

And please, no forming for your neighbors, and no calling of police when you see your neighbors quarreling or fighting, they can sort themselves pretty well without the help of any police man.

As opposed to Nigerian males being promiscuous in general? Generalize much? According to you, it follows that Nigerian males (some) are fraudsters/419ners.

Of course some Yorubas are promiscuous but by making the Yoruba tribe the subject of the sentence, even though qualified, generally paints the entire Yoruba tribe in bad light.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by honeric01(m): 8:15pm On Dec 07, 2011
Wallie:

As opposed to Nigerian males being promiscuous in general? Generalize much? According to you, it follows that Nigerian males (some) are fraudsters/419ners.

Of course some Yorubas are promiscuous but by making the Yoruba tribe the subject of the sentence, even though qualified, generally paints the entire Yoruba tribe in bad light.

Too bad but i am stating the fact here, it is likely going to appear harsh but that's the truth bro, been living in Nigeria all my life and this can be attested to by any sincere person out there. i just want her to know that some are likely to take more wives and when they do, she shouldn't take it too hard because it's accepted here. ignore the tone, pick the message, i am not a tribalist but i also do not hide truth.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Wallie(m): 8:25pm On Dec 07, 2011
honeric01:

Too bad but i am stating the fact here, it is likely going to appear harsh but that's the truth bro, been living in Nigeria all my life and this can be attested to by any sincere person out there. i just want her to know that some are likely to take more wives and when they do, she shouldn't take it too hard because it's accepted here. ignore the tone, pick the message, i am not a tribalist but i also do not hide truth.

OK. Then is my characterization that Nigerian males are fraudsters also true? I have gazillion email messages in my spam box to prove the same. By extension, that should also mean that any foreigner shouldn’t get into business with a Nigerian because he/she will get scammed.

I’m not saying that there isn’t any truth to what you’re saying but you cannot just paint an entire tribe with one broad stroke, the same way I cannot characterize Nigerians as fraudsters even though some are.

@ OP
I bet you thought racism only existed in the US and Europe? I would surmise that Nigerians are on average more racist (tribalist) than Americans.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by honeric01(m): 8:32pm On Dec 07, 2011
^^

Yes, some Nigerians are fraudsters, am i lying? i hope you're not trying to ignore the 'some" in my comments?
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by honeric01(m): 8:34pm On Dec 07, 2011
Wallie:

OK. Then is my characterization that Nigerian males are fraudsters also true? I have gazillion email messages in my spam box to prove the same. By extension, that should also mean that any foreigner shouldn’t get into business with a Nigerian because he/she will get scammed.

I’m not saying that there isn’t any truth to what you’re saying but you cannot just paint an entire tribe with one broad stroke, the same way I cannot characterize Nigerians as fraudsters even though some are.

@ OP
I bet you thought racism only existed in the US and Europe? I would surmise that Nigerians are on average more racist (tribalist) than Americans.

I bet you didn't see this either? the bolded is true same with what i said, so why are you fuming? undecided

CyberG:

You are certainly well-accepted already! The Yorubas are perhaps the most accepting and friendliest of the many peoples in Nigeria. Your dad will tell you more just ask him.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Wallie(m): 8:49pm On Dec 07, 2011
honeric01:

^^

Yes, some Nigerians are fraudsters, am i lying? i hope you're not trying to ignore the 'some" in my comments?

I did see the some and I wasn't ignoring it, which was why I questioned making an entire tribe the subject of that sentence.

Since you're in the mood for giving advice, why not advice her not to date Nigerians since most are fraudsters and drug dealers, and are usually not known to do anything positive. You should also advice her that Nigerians (some) are lazy and morally bankrupt.

Oh, you should also advice her that Nigerians are also very family oriented!

Am I lying?

Do you know what generalization is? That's what you did, and it is wrong! You cannot lump everybody into a single class, and qualifying it with "some" or other niceties do not take away from the sting of the generalization.

[b]If you see nothing wrong with what you said then I have nothing more to say to you. I hope the OP is a little more discerning. [/b]Take care!
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by jascon1(m): 9:46pm On Dec 07, 2011
honestly, from your English construction you seem to be a born n raised nigerian. in the US there are many yoruba ppl. they shoulda told u more about here. even oyibo man go tell u more about 9ja. and i'd prefer u tell us the way you were viewed "when u visited". you have been here, as u said.
for the sake of the topic, i will comment. maybe, my comment is useful to others as well.
we are all humans and we act differently. nigerians are social and hospitable even to strangers. and we live a communual lifestyle. is easy to blend and find your way around. you got nothing to worry as your skin aint any different. if u were white or mixed-race, then u will surely get attention from the average man. the only difference in u is your accent. need not worry, cos a lot of nigerians fake it. we no no/care who trully be jandon again. in the south, u will have a hard time communicating, cos ur accent will sound intimidating to them and they dont accept intimidation. dont go bragging about america, cos u will be expected to back it up with dollar-spending.
English no dey buy banga soup. even oyibo dey speak pidgin here. so, if u are really what u say u are,just COME (again). my ppl say, "leave wetin dem write for motor, enter motor". oyibo na sand sand for here. if u no carry money come nobody won c u oh. so better remain for their if u no say e no dey o! your parents get reason why dem carry u travel far.
and, if u r looking for a man, is no crime, say it openly as an american. what is your relationship status? make our spit for no waste. post a picture and REAL men on here will show you a preamble of how u WILL be viewed on arrival (again).
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by jascon1(m): 9:52pm On Dec 07, 2011
am confused! you said you can identify SCAMMERS na thief no thief oh. only a scammer can identify a scammer. pls dont tell no one to stop giving. how much u get sad the fact that someone begged for money doesnt mean he's a scammer. some nigerians are going thru hell and hoping an angel comes along. so, as an american and a patriotic nigerian to be/is dont call a man in NEED a scammer. na u take ur mouth talk say u dey america.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by honeric01(m): 10:04pm On Dec 07, 2011
@wallie

what do you have to say about this comment from cyberG?

Quote from: CyberG on Today at 17:37:35
You are certainly well-accepted already! The Yorubas are perhaps the most accepting and friendliest of the many peoples in Nigeria. Your dad will tell you more just ask him.

Why are you ignoring that generalizing statement, yet you're all worked up on mine which wasn't even generalizing? is it because cyberG paints your race in a good manner and mine's not really "cute" to your race?
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by delpee(f): 10:11pm On Dec 07, 2011
@poster

Nigerians are naturally hospitable people so you will feel at home if you come. Seek your dads advice on your plans since hes in a better position to give you more details about your roots and culture. Associating with home bred Nigerians of your age group in the US may also help.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by jascon1(m): 10:22pm On Dec 07, 2011
honestly, from your English construction you seem to be a born n raised nigerian. in the US there are many yoruba ppl. they shoulda told u more about here. even oyibo man go tell u more about 9ja. and i'd prefer u tell us the way you were viewed "when u visited". you have been here, as u said.
for the sake of the topic, i will comment. maybe, my comment is useful to others as well.
we are all humans and we act differently. nigerians are social and hospitable even to strangers. and we live a communual lifestyle. is easy to blend and find your way around. you got nothing to worry as your skin aint any different. if u were white or mixed-race, then u will surely get attention from the average man. the only difference in u is your accent. need not worry, cos a lot of nigerians fake it. we no no/care who trully be jandon again. in the south, u will have a hard time communicating, cos ur accent will sound intimidating to them and they dont accept intimidation. dont go bragging about america, cos u will be expected to back it up with dollar-spending.
English no dey buy banga soup. even oyibo dey speak pidgin here. so, if u are really what u say u are,just COME (again). my ppl say, "leave wetin dem write for motor, enter motor". oyibo na sand sand for here. if u no carry money come nobody won c u oh. so better remain for their if u no say e no dey o! your parents get reason why dem carry u travel far.
and, if u r looking for a man, is no crime, say it openly as an american. what is your relationship status? make our spit for no waste. post a picture and REAL men on here will show you a preamble of how u WILL be viewed on arrival (again).
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Wallie(m): 10:37pm On Dec 07, 2011
honeric01:

@wallie

what do you have to say about this comment from cyberG?

Quote from: CyberG on Today at 17:37:35

Why are you ignoring that generalizing statement, yet you're all worked up on mine which wasn't even generalizing? is it because cyberG paints your race in a good manner and mine's not really "cute" to your race?

lol, I responded but thought you made the comment. See the highlighted below:

Wallie:

I did see the some and I wasn't ignoring it, which was why I questioned making an entire tribe the subject of that sentence.

Since you're in the mood for giving advice, why not advice her not to date Nigerians since most are fraudsters and drug dealers, and are usually not known to do anything positive. You should also advice her that Nigerians (some) are lazy and morally bankrupt.

Oh, you should also advice her that Nigerians are also very family oriented!

Am I lying?

Do you know what generalization is? That's what you did, and it is wrong! You cannot lump everybody into a single class, and qualifying it with "some" or other niceties do not take away from the sting of the generalization.

If you see nothing wrong with what you said then I have nothing more to say to you. I hope the OP is a little more discerning. Take care!

Your generalization painted a whole tribe in negative light and the other guy's comment was redeeming. If I say that most people from your tribe are very dumb, you will probably reply and say “F you” but if I say people from your tribe are industrious, you will probably say “thank you.” That’s the difference!
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by OlaPhils(m): 10:41pm On Dec 07, 2011
there no much difference btween them and goat. na them dey bring all the bad bad thing come 9ja. i c them as mumu
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by jascon1(m): 11:17pm On Dec 07, 2011
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 11:42pm On Dec 07, 2011
@Delpee Thanks smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by CyberG: 2:52am On Dec 08, 2011
Must you guys e-fight all the time? Screaming my name "CyberG" all about this thread will only chase the damsel away from ATL to CA, where I hold sway! grin grin Or you guys don marry finish for una side? LOL grin

@Tadelara, why not start by telling us what your name means because its got to mean something? Do you know what it means?
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Outstrip(f): 3:23am On Dec 08, 2011
I see absolutely nothing wrong with saying Nigerian American. I consider myself a Nigerian American. For people who say their parents are NIgerian and they are not I am not sure why you would say they are lost. Not everybody identifies with Nigeria. It used to irritate me to hear that but I realize that everyone has a different upbringing.
As for the OP don't be too hasty in your decision. As you can see the Nigerians here in the states already have a problem with you saying Nigerian American. Your mother is American and yet you will be labeled simply because you choose to embrace that part of your history. We wise with your decision
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 3:25am On Dec 08, 2011
@CyberG, tadelara is my username I created for this site. My name is Lara, and I do know the meaning of my full name. Thanks for asking! smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 3:38am On Dec 08, 2011
@Outstrip, I do get your point. When posting this topic I did not know I would get so much negativity towards me by simply stating that I am Nigerian-American. But now I am understanding when embracing my father's culture, I would have to completely. Im realizing it is all or nothing. Thanks for your input! smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by CyberG: 4:01am On Dec 08, 2011
^ One thing for sure, except things have changed with our Naija people back home: You CANNOT get any sort of negativity back home, and the ones you see on NL is just because of the anonymous of this public forum. A lot of people in my family were born and live outside Nigeria too and coming home, there's no difference in the way they're treated so ignore this apparent "negativity" of the folks here! BootyonMe (another poster) summarized what is responsible for this kind of behavior and I think she captures it appropriately. One thing though is if you visit Nigeria, just enjoy it and don't even try and compare openly as people will not appreciate that. Of course, for people you are close to like your dad, you can draw up such comparisons without any issues.

Instead of the so called negativity here, you may in fact be so over-pampered with care and attention, you would almost complain! wink For me, I had to tell them at home that when next I am home, no one should ask me repeatedly to eat-eat-eat, rest-rest-rest, don't go out, it's too late, etc!

About your name, I used to have some Lara chick in my class and now wondering if it is you! Maybe not, who knows? grin grin
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by ITbomb(m): 4:06am On Dec 08, 2011
I personally would see naija american as a bit too independent and more assertive , and if I must tell u, nigerian guys worship respect. No "I wash the dish on monday , u wash on tuesday"
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 4:20am On Dec 08, 2011
@CyberG I will continue to ignore the negative postings. Ohh yeah, I don't think we were in the same class. I seriously doubt it only if you went to school in the Decatur area. That is the only information I will give. Like I said before, I do thank you for your suggestions and input! smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by tadelara(f): 4:21am On Dec 08, 2011
@ITbomb, I understand Lol!! Thanks smiley
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by Nobody: 5:50am On Dec 08, 2011
http://www.updcplc.com/ for your flats or Nigerian home
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by kunyeo(m): 6:10am On Dec 08, 2011
Nigerians,especially the Yoruba have a rather accommodating culture.However those cultural edges are being smoothened by religious convictions especially christianity.You will be surprised to see that religion is a big factor here.In addition a fair skin person (half caste) have an edge over dark skin ones (explains why many bleach their skin).However, be wary of a lot of wolves,who would do anything for money.Dont despair,there are a lot of good guys out there.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by eniafelamo: 7:35am On Dec 08, 2011
being a nigerian is in d blood, wen u start practising d culture, it becomes easier, jst b ready 4 criticizm. May God help you find ur root.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by DamiKhojie(m): 8:14am On Dec 08, 2011
I'm Nigerian born in America or American of Nigerian heritage(whatever you want to call it) and my parents always raised me to embrace my culture, although it's not like I had an option with a very long Yoruba name lol. Anyway I've been to Nigeria several times since I was about 5 (I'm 20 now) and with a few exceptions people have generally been pretty accepting as long as I showed respect and interest in them. The only thing that was strange for me was the constant greetings, in New York you generally mind your business you're not always expected to say hi, good morning, good evening etc. to every person you come across but in Nigeria I feel I have to acknowledge everyone which is like a chore to me tongue. I even remember some lady going to my aunt telling her how annoyed she was that I didn't greet her in a room full of 20 something people. But hey your from Georgia you guys seem to be a lot friendlier down there.
Re: How Naija/americans Are Viewed Amongst Nigerians! by shumno(f): 8:42am On Dec 08, 2011
Your way of writting is Nigerian, it won't be difficult to fully blend in at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Tribes In Rivers State Nigeria / Post Swear words from your language here / Please Translate (igbo > English).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.