Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) (7535 Views)

CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks / Fg Issues 20 Independent Power Project Licences Featured / Lagos Plans Establishment Of Five New Independent Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by aljharem3: 9:55pm On Dec 06, 2011
Fg Issues 20 Licences To Ipps

By Oscarline Onwuemenyi

ABUJA- The Federal Government,Tuesday, made good its promise to drive the new era in the power sector with the private sector as it issued 20 licences to independent power producers, IPP.

They are expected to add 6258 mega watts of electricity to the nation grid within the next 36 months. A distribution licence was also issued to Aba Power Limited for tenure extension in Aba, Imo State.

Perhaps the most remarkable of the licences was the one issued to Zuma Energy Nigeria Limited to produce 1,200Mw from coal deposits in Itobe, Kogi State.

Presenting the licences, Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji said: “From the budget of the Ministry of Power, we are giving N20 billion to the bulk trader so they will have money to pay for power from power producers. We are also giving N20 billion to NELMCO to assist in buying over most of the liabilities of the government power operators in preparation for the privatisation.

“The privatisation is moving forward and we expect that by the second or third quarter of next year, we should have concluded the process and handed the sector over to private concerns.”

Also speaking at the event, Chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, Mr. Sam Amadi, said five other firms were undergoing scrutiny for the possible issuance of similar licences.

He described the issuance of the licences as a landmark event for the sector, noting that the licence to the bulk trader to commence operations is also a major boost to the reforms in the sector.

Chairman of the Independent Power Producers Association of Nigeria, Prof Jerry Gana, expressed joy that some of the impediments that had hindered independent power producers from operation in the last one year had been resolved by government.

He tasked the owners of the licences to ensure speedy commencement of work “such that Nigerians will begin to enjoy stable power sooner than expected.”

He charged the Federal Government to fund the bulk trader, pointing: “That is our key agency. We sell to them when they produce and they make the investment worthwhile.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/fg-issues-20-licences-to-ipps/
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by jmaine: 10:44pm On Dec 06, 2011
Interesting grin . . . .
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by realchange: 10:47pm On Dec 06, 2011
what happened to the licenses issued earlier?
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by OAM4J: 1:53am On Dec 07, 2011
Very good one, hopefully they will deliver.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by ektbear: 2:00am On Dec 07, 2011
I hope that this Zuma Energy Limited Nigeria is for real. . . 1200 MW would be amazing.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Nobody: 2:15am On Dec 07, 2011
wow! hope dey cool

lemme start saving for relocation cool
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by stepo707: 10:43am On Dec 07, 2011
this is good news!
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by executinal(m): 10:43am On Dec 07, 2011
Great news
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Reference(m): 10:45am On Dec 07, 2011
Sounded promising until I stumbled upon the name of one Prof. Jerry Gana, now I exercise the first ammendment and reserve my comments.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by blacksta(m): 10:45am On Dec 07, 2011
If Nigeria can guarantee 12 hrs of electricity btw the hours of 7am to 7pm - I will be first to move back.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 07, 2011
blacksta:

If Nigeria can guarantee 12 hrs of electricity btw the hours of 7am to 7pm - I will be first to move back.

You need to start moving back bro. At VI precisely by Shoprite area we are enjoying abt 10hrs per day.

With electricity being constant, I dont see why Nigerians should stay abroad, it sucks out there.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Challas(m): 10:57am On Dec 07, 2011
Reference:

Sounded promising until I stumbled upon the name of one Prof. Jerry Gana, now I exercise the first ammendment and reserve my comments.
You read my mind.I exclaimed: PROFESSOR JERRY GANA AGAIN!!!
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Mcleo007(m): 11:15am On Dec 07, 2011
Nice one.

Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

I hope that this Zuma Energy Limited Nigeria is for real. . . 1200 MW would be amazing.

Wont happen. Coal is too complicated to extract for Nigeria where there is free flowing gas.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Funkymallam(m): 11:27am On Dec 07, 2011
AGIP Jerry Gana, neva dulling.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by moderatorr: 11:49am On Dec 07, 2011
currently (for more than 3 months now)
we havd over 18hrs power supply daily in enugu.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by DisGuy: 11:56am On Dec 07, 2011
LeoMax:

[/b]

You need to start moving back bro. [b]At VI precisely
by Shoprite area we are enjoying abt 10hrs per day.

With electricity being constant, I dont see why Nigerians should stay abroad, it sucks out there.

He said nigeria, not VI do you know whether him wan relocate to village?  grin
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Okijajuju1(m): 12:00pm On Dec 07, 2011
Jonathan in Action!!

Fresh Air you can breath!! grin
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 07, 2011
The fact is, they are too slow.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by strangest(m): 12:24pm On Dec 07, 2011
Nice one but they just have to let go of that JERRY CAN OF LIEs called jerry gana
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:10pm On Dec 07, 2011
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by Princek12(m): 2:41pm On Dec 07, 2011
LeoMax:

[b][/b]

You need to start moving back bro. At VI precisely by Shoprite area we are enjoying abt 10hrs per day.

It is interesting that lack of stable electricity has been one problem that has kept many diaspora Nigerians from moving back home. Me, for example, anytime I go back home for holidays, lack of electricity singularly frustrates me, considering the fact that I can't sleep well when it is hot.

They had to buy a bigger generator that can power an A/C. Sometimes I had to check in a hotel so that I can get a good night's sleep. But overall, I still manage to pull it off. But 12 hrs a day electricity would be a marked improvement.
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by EMANY01(m): 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2011
I was happy till i heard the name 'Jerry Gana' is this man a political immortal?
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by purplekayc(m): 3:04pm On Dec 07, 2011
we shall see nah .nah today?
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by purplekayc(m): 3:05pm On Dec 07, 2011
no be today grin grin grin
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by jobd: 3:32pm On Dec 07, 2011
very soon nw,we will start hearing power/electricity subsidy,
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by splashbaby(m): 3:36pm On Dec 07, 2011
revolution looms
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by DisGuy: 3:42pm On Dec 07, 2011
jobd:

very soon nw,we will start hearing power/electricity subsidy,

MYTO u never hear that one since 07/08?

obj also issued licenses for refineries. . .
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by stpat1(m): 5:06pm On Dec 07, 2011
Na today, what abt the ones that were issued out before? or the IPPs that have been underway since OBJs tenure? Abeeegiiii
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:25pm On Dec 07, 2011
Gone with the wind
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by atilla(m): 6:58am On Dec 08, 2011
Please who is this jerry gana guy?
Re: FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) by beespak7(m): 7:19am On Dec 08, 2011
Great move, i just hope that they can achieve 6258 mega watts of electricity that they hope to archieve not just pay lip service.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please help how do I Receive money on fiverr in Nigeria / YouWIN: Ajaokuta Steel And Innoson Cars Can Create More Jobs / Farmers In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.