Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,901 members, 7,806,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:23 PM

Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? (10106 Views)

Thinking Of Going For Pharmacy Or Dentistry After B.sc In Botany (advice pls) / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Pharmacy Or Medical Lab Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Evansedos: 9:14pm On Dec 07, 2011
Hello everyone i am kind of confuse here, and need a good advice, let start frm here, i am a 200 level human physiology student,  bt put in for jamb again and admitted to stdy pharmacy, the question is should cont with physiology or go for pharmacy? most people said dat pharmacy is more lucrative in nigeria compare to physio. p/Z  need ur advice
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by yamakuza: 9:57pm On Dec 07, 2011
1. Whats ur current GPA in Physiology?

2. What are your career goals?

Do you want to work in the health industry, or just anywhere?

3. What school(s) are we talking about here?
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Natasha2(f): 10:10pm On Dec 07, 2011
For you to have written jamb again then that means Pharmacy is what you want, swerry go for it that's my advice for you, I have a friend who left pharmacy, he was in 300 level for Psychology because according to him he realised he loved the course more than pharmacy, so dear if that's where your heart is follow it. [b] [/b]
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Evansedos: 7:42am On Dec 08, 2011
frm uniben, thks for the advice
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by yamakuza: 11:07am On Dec 08, 2011
yamakuza:

1. Whats your current GPA in Physiology?

2. What are your career goals?

Do you want to work in the health industry, or just anywhere?

3. What school(s) are we talking about here?

1. If your GPA is above 4.0, i'll advise you continue with Physiology.

If its less than 3.5, feel free to change.

2. Unless you really want to be a Pharmacist, Physiology is just as good a starting point.

What matters is what you do with it, or after.

3. I would have said Physiology in OAU is better than Pharm in OOU, but i guess Pharm in Uniben is just as good as anything else.

4. Follow your heart. Do what you enjoy doing.
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Evansedos: 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2011
thanks a lot
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Tycoon4(m): 5:20pm On Dec 10, 2011
@OP
First of all Pharmacy is a professional course and has a lot of prospects. Unless you have a plan to further in medicine,i'd strongly advice you go for Pharmacy.

@yamakuza
Next time you wanna post something you prolly know nothing about, i'll advice you do your homework very well. What makes you think Physiology in OAU beats Pharmacy in OOU?
FYI! Pharmacy is a professional course and regardless of where you are trained,the quality is always there. No institution is ready to cough out Pharmacists who later on would turn to killers, so the standard is always there, The way a pharmacist is trained in IFE,is the same with those trained in OOU!

'As men of Honour,we Join hands'
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by yamakuza: 6:32pm On Dec 10, 2011
^ no vex.  grin

Are you happy now?

[s]i'ld still rather study Yoruba in OAU than Medicine in OOU

some of us look beyond the classroom
[/s]
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Tycoon4(m): 10:43pm On Dec 10, 2011
yamakuza:

^ no vex.  grin

Are you happy now?

[s]i'ld still rather study Yoruba in OAU than Medicine in OOU

some of us look beyond the classroom
[/s]

Goodluck with that sire, if you like study Igbo Language in Harvard University! cheesy
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by chamber2(m): 8:22am On Dec 11, 2011
So, you want to go for Pharmacy because people say it's lucrative? And you are already in 200 level? Unless you are below 20 yrs i would advise you to continue with physiology. Your undergraduate degree matters less these days because you can easily switch to another program during your postgraduate studies. Which course isn't lucrative even? Even Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa languages are lucrative these days because i have seen people who read these languages but work as consultants for google etc. So, why do you want to waste two yrs of your life just because people say a course is lucrative? Why not build your career based on passion and then watch the money flow in later? In today's job market, age plays a very vital role. Younger people tend to get job earlier than older ones. Employers give preference for younger graduates than older ones. So, don't waste much time in school pursuing shadow when your mates are already earning money.

In my 100 level in school then, i had this friend of mine who was admitted to study Economics but his family insisted he studied Law because it confers respect and seems more ''lucrative.'' He went back to write Jamb and ended up wasting two yrs of his life seeking admission to study law. Finally, he went back to Economics and works with one of the leading MNCs in 9ja today upon graduation. Also, when i told my family i was studying Economics my cousin sister told me i was studying a woman's course. But today, am glad i did.

So, what do you make of this? It's all about passion, determination and hardwork. Physiology is as lucrative as Pharmacy depending on what you make of it. All you need is to graduate with a top grade and the world will become your oyster. When my woman gained admission to study Food sci and tech, people said she wanted to waste 5 yrs just to learn how to ''cook.'' You can see how ignorant people can be sometimes.

Unfortunately, it's hard to determine which profession is more lucrative than others in Nigeria due to unavailability of data regarding earnings by professionals. So, everything is all about perception. Just because that your village man who studied Law built houses at every corner does not make Law more Lucrative than history, after all Chinue Achebe, Wole Soyinka etc never studied medicine, Law or any heavyweight course. Today, graduates of Mathematics, Economics and Accounting work in Total and earn N17m per annum whereas graduates of pharmacy, medicine, law etc struggle to get a job of 100k per month. Again, it depends on individual characteristics, luck and maybe hard work.

If pharmacy gives you joy and fulfillment then go for it. But, if your resolve to study pharmacy is based on it being lucrative then i will suggest you give it a second thought. We live and operate in a dynamic world. Before it was Law and Medicine, now it's Business and I.T. Who knows what will be on board by the time you graduate, maybe physiology or something else.

Ty_coon:

Goodluck with that sire, if you like study Igbo Language in Harvard University! cheesy

Don't mind our moderator, am sure he was joking grin Pharmacy in OOU is as good as Pharmacy in OAU. But, i would choose OAU over OOU maybe because of perception, reputation and the opportunity to meet other serious minded students. lipsrsealed
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Nobody: 8:26am On Dec 13, 2011
I'll advise you take to Yamazuka's advice. Pls consider your CGPA nd interest . .
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Evansedos: 8:13pm On Jan 24, 2013
Now in 200level pharmacy after dropping physiology just have to follow my heart . i am really grateful to those who commented

2 Likes

Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Most1: 7:55pm On Jan 26, 2013
@chamber2 You are trying to make a point but ur examples are skewed. If there was no google or the like what lucrative outlet wud they b for the igbo/yoruba grad!!? Use regional examples that are typical. Total pays those graduates you mentioned 100k usd/annum.Such salaries are typical at the international level so what proportion of maths/history grads will mnc's employ to pay such when the regional best is the N100k u mentioned !? Use reprsentative examples to make ur points.
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Giannakopoulos(f): 9:14pm On Nov 16, 2014
chamber2:
So, you want to go for Pharmacy because people say it's lucrative? And you are already in 200 level? Unless you are below 20 yrs i would advise you to continue with physiology. Your undergraduate degree matters less these days because you can easily switch to another program during your postgraduate studies. Which course isn't lucrative even? Even Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa languages are lucrative these days because i have seen people who read these languages but work as consultants for google etc. So, why do you want to waste two yrs of your life just because people say a course is lucrative? Why not build your career based on passion and then watch the money flow in later? In today's job market, age plays a very vital role. Younger people tend to get job earlier than older ones. Employers give preference for younger graduates than older ones. So, don't waste much time in school pursuing shadow when your mates are already earning money.

In my 100 level in school then, i had this friend of mine who was admitted to study Economics but his family insisted he studied Law because it confers respect and seems more ''lucrative.'' He went back to write Jamb and ended up wasting two yrs of his life seeking admission to study law. Finally, he went back to Economics and works with one of the leading MNCs in 9ja today upon graduation. Also, when i told my family i was studying Economics my cousin sister told me i was studying a woman's course. But today, am glad i did.

So, what do you make of this? It's all about passion, determination and hardwork. Physiology is as lucrative as Pharmacy depending on what you make of it. All you need is to graduate with a top grade and the world will become your oyster. When my woman gained admission to study Food sci and tech, people said she wanted to waste 5 yrs just to learn how to ''cook.'' You can see how ignorant people can be sometimes.

Unfortunately, it's hard to determine which profession is more lucrative than others in Nigeria due to unavailability of data regarding earnings by professionals. So, everything is all about perception. Just because that your village man who studied Law built houses at every corner does not make Law more Lucrative than history, after all Chinue Achebe, Wole Soyinka etc never studied medicine, Law or any heavyweight course. Today, graduates of Mathematics, Economics and Accounting work in Total and earn N17m per annum whereas graduates of pharmacy, medicine, law etc struggle to get a job of 100k per month. Again, it depends on individual characteristics, luck and maybe hard work.

If pharmacy gives you joy and fulfillment then go for it. But, if your resolve to study pharmacy is based on it being lucrative then i will suggest you give it a second thought. We live and operate in a dynamic world. Before it was Law and Medicine, now it's Business and I.T. Who knows what will be on board by the time you graduate, maybe physiology or something else.

Don't mind our moderator, am sure he was joking grin Pharmacy in OOU is as good as Pharmacy in OAU. But, i would choose OAU over OOU maybe because of perception, reputation and the opportunity to meet other serious minded students. lipsrsealed
Though this is an old thread,I want you to know this,I've never had an application from a Pharmacy graduate in my whole career as a consultant/recruiter. But the reverse is the case for the other courses you mentioned. I hope you can get the gist from there...
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by sikells(m): 3:35pm On Nov 17, 2014
Giannakopoulos:
Though this is an old thread,I want you to know this,I've never had an application from a Pharmacy graduate in my whole career as a consultant/recruiter. But the reverse is the case for the other courses you mentioned. I hope you can get the gist from there...
i guess the pharmacy graduates are hard to come by....many of them are moving to the US and Canada
Re: Advice Me : Pharmacy or Physiology? by Giannakopoulos(f): 6:26pm On Nov 17, 2014
sikells:

i guess the pharmacy graduates are hard to come by....many of them are moving to the US and Canada
Please enlighten them,there's just no basis,comparing Pharmacy to Physiology,infact,Pharmacy and Medicine are two unique professions,its like buying a "life insurance" policy when you study any of these two.

(1) (Reply)

Ladies Shouldn't Be Allowed To Be Judges / Job Opportunities For Physics Graduates / Surveying And Geoinformatics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.