Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,262 members, 7,780,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:54 PM

Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages (9817 Views)

Troops Recover 1304 Livestock,arrest 15 Cattle Rustlers & Kill Many Bandits(pics / Soldiers Arrest Fleeing Boko Haram Terrorists, Kill Many Others (Graphic Pics) / Over 100 Killed In Benue Communities, Refugee Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by realchange: 10:21pm On Dec 07, 2011
[size=16pt]Benue killings: Number of deaths, unknown[/size]

350 still missing – Eye witness

By Peter Duru, Makurdi
From Naka to Makurdi, Guma to Gwer, tales of woes and lamentations rented the air following the invasion of Fulani herdsmen who have staged persistent attacks on Benue communities and villages leaving in their trail deaths and destruction.

The carnage has left many homeless, women widowed and children orphanned. The remains of the crisis dot the landscape of the affected communities like a sour thumb while huge refuge camps have been set up at Yogbo, Ortese and Daudu and the border town of Kadroko all in Guma local government area of Benue State.

Even the outrage that has repeatedly greeted the bloodbath in the communities and villages has not in any way calmed frayed nerves as the fighting and killings continue.

Not even the killing of some military personnel by the invading herdsmen and consequent drafting of heavily armed security personnel to the troubled spots has stopped the bloodbath.

There is no gainsaying that Benue is under a siege by the marauding herdsmen who invade the state from neigbouring Nasarawa State in a commando fashion, hitting their targets with reckless abandon and utter disregard for sanctity of human life.

They have turned the hinterlands of the state into a theater of war, leaving their victims heartbroken, overwhelmed and in total despair.

Only recently, in Mbagwen, over 30 persons were butchered and buried in mass graves by the invaders; it’s all tales of woes across the agrarian state.

Benue has become a crisis zone and the awful situation seems to have overwhelmed the state government.

Governor Gabriel Suswam, accompanied by the paramount ruler of the community, Ter Nagi Chief Daniel Abomste, dressed in mourning robes, recently visited the displaced persons in Naka and pleaded with them to sheath their sword and refrain from any act that could escalate the crisis.

He assured that the state government was partnering with the Federal Government on the issue, maintaining that decisive steps would be taken to address the situation; yet the killings and wanton distraction of property has continued unabated.

Abomste decried the invasion, describing it as another jihad aimed at conquering the Tiv nation. .

Abomste urged the Federal Government to move fast to arrest the situation in view of the consequence of the crisis escalating.

Suswam’s peace moves got the attention of his Nasarawa counterpart which led to the setting up of a peace committee by both governments with a view to addressing the persistent skirmishes.

But shortly after the Naka killings and destructions, the Fulanis struck again at Mbagwen on the outskirts of Makurdi town, leaving over eight persons dead and several property destroyed.

But the bloodbath got to a head, last week, when over 50 persons were reportedly killed and property worth millions of Naira destroyed by the Fulani herdsmen in a renewed attack on Tiv communities in Guma local government area of Benue.

The crisis has taken a dangerous dimension and is also creeping into Makurdi, Benue State capital, with refugees fleeing the fighting streaming into the town.

Sunday Vanguard gathered that the areas hardest hit by the renewed attack include Tiv settlements of Dooga, Kpata, Lokobi Ajimaka, Ekeae, Giza, Yogbo, and Mbagwem.

Other communities include, Zongo Akiki, Nyijir, Tse Taki, Agbeke all in Gwer West, Guma and Makurdi in Benue and Kadroko in Nasarawa State.

It was also gathered from an eyewitness who fled the fighting with his wife and children from Kpata village, Mr. Tyopine Agar, that the number of the dead could exceed the figure already declared, stressing that as many over 350 persons are yet unaccounted for.

According to him, “many of our people were in the farms when the crisis erupted and, up till now, no one knows their whereabouts”.

Agar alleged that the Fulani herdsmen, assisted by the Alagos residing on the border of Benue and Nasarawa states in Doma town, laid siege to their villages, shooting and burning their houses and property.

Moved by the level of devastation in the communities, Speaker of the Benue House of Assembly, Mr. Dave Iorhemba, who paid an unscheduled visit to some of the refugees camped at the LGEA Primary School Kadroko, lamented the recurrent attacks on the Tiv communities.

Iorhemba, who regretted the “insensitivity of the Nasarawa government” to the plight of the victims of the attack, called on the Benue and Nasarawa governments to take decisive steps to check the carnage.

He also implored the two states to act on the recommendations of the peace committee set up by the states by releasing a white paper on the findings.

He called on the National Emergency Management Agency to step in with materials to assist the displaced persons who are in their thousands.

Iorhemba further called on the two state governments to create grazing routes for the herdsmen to forestall further destruction of farmlands of the communities and the consequent bloodbath.

Village head of Dooga, one of the ravaged communities, Zaki Tsashaku, lamented the devastation in his domain just as he called on the Benue and Nasarawa governments to deploy security personnel to the affected communities before the crisis escalates into major towns of both states.

He also pleaded with the Nasarawa and Benue governments to provide more relief materials to the displaced persons who are currently taking refuge at Yogbo, Ortese and Daudu.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/benue-killings-number-of-deaths-uknonwn/

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by realchange: 10:22pm On Dec 07, 2011
the fulani rampage continues in middle belt
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by amaham(m): 10:39pm On Dec 07, 2011
Another jihad indeed? I thought these tivs are warriors dat stoppd usman danfodio 4rm advancin southwards. Maybe de warrior's descendants are weaklings.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by WilyWily4: 10:54pm On Dec 07, 2011
U see! Middle belters are Cursed people, the wrath of God is working on them.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by amaham(m): 10:57pm On Dec 07, 2011
Cursed by ojukwu spell
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 07, 2011
i'm disappointed in middle belt christians.only southern kaduna have my respect.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by 9javoice1(m): 11:37pm On Dec 07, 2011
while the suppose peace talk was on fulani/hausa"s were busy killing other
northern minorities via their almajiris, tell me how peace will be achive.

mr.aminu is drunk and his primary intention was to divert attantion
of the meeting but he ended up giving the northern minorities more
reason to see that peace is no way at sight.

awake awake awake all you northern minorities sleepers b4 it will be too late.
its already late but awake now b4 its too late.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Lasinoh: 11:38pm On Dec 07, 2011
These Benue people sef!
I taya.
With that kind of village hut in that picture. . . I wonder how the place go be if real war break out for dia.
What an eyesore! cry

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/589246_Benue-Village_jpg27c30bfb50c0b6ab5afc0e2b31a6f4b2[/img]

Pipo still dey use 'zinc' roofing sheets for Naija? shocked
Tommorow. . .one moo-moo will say the white man is showing bad areas of Africa.
WTF? undecided
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by CyberG: 3:12am On Dec 08, 2011
Why is it every time something like these happens, you guys must invoke Ojukwu's name? Look, he has done his bit and it's time you guys (everyone) stands up for himself, or won't you let him rest!? There's no security in Nigeria and this is just a manifestation of it, how come no one is questioning that? Someone is still talking about Usman Dan Fodio who died in 1817, yet the overly-stupid Jonadense president said yesterday that Nigeria is NOT ready for state police, most of you didn't think about what that implies. Is it UDF or Ojukwu that you should be mentioning their name (who are gone) or the dead but living president who is supposed to lead?

If states get their state police, it will go hand in hand with a lot of other things: a more "perfect" federal arrangement, better resource control, better security that is on ground and can respond immediately to this kind of barbaric murders, better intelligence. If you lived in a place where you can hardly get away with even one concealed murder, would you be going to kill people in the open? You will most likely be shot dead or arrested, killed eventually or kept away for almost permanently. This forward-looking conversation is what I think is needed now, not shouting the names of people who have done their bit and moved on!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Obiagu1(m): 3:18am On Dec 08, 2011
Nawa oo!
They started from Bauchi to Plateau to Benue. I wonder where they are heading to.

I foresee another civil war in no distant time.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Onlytruth(m): 3:25am On Dec 08, 2011
Obiagu1:

Nawa oo!
They started from Bauchi to Benue. I wonder where they are heading to.

I foresee another civil war in no distant time.

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm not worried yet until I hear gbosaa at Nsukka/Opi/Enugu-Ezike axis.
I only hope that the SE governors and MASSOB are keeping a close eye.
I don't trust Fulanis one bit. cool
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Obiagu1(m): 3:28am On Dec 08, 2011
Onlytruth:

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm not worried yet until I hear gbosaa at Nsukka/Opi/Enugu-Ezike axis.
I only hope that the SE governors and MASSOB are keeping a close eye.
I don't trust Fulanis one bit. cool

People need to get ready, that's it.
I hope those concerned are keeping a close eye on this.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by namfav(m): 5:53am On Dec 08, 2011
these is rubbish, there is 2 sides of the whole story
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 08, 2011
namfav:

these is rubbish, there is 2 sides of the whole story
is that all you can say? are you suggesting the tivs might have offended the fulanis? perhaps, killed their cattle?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by amaham(m): 7:27am On Dec 08, 2011
These maruding killers can't even respect the peace conference their leaders are havin dis tym around @ kd, they still go around spreadin anguish to their neighbours
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by namfav(m): 7:32am On Dec 08, 2011
what i know a few weeks back fulani villages were attacked, scores people killed, the media did not report it that much, reports are unfair because the only speak about 1 side

careytommy:

is that all you can say? are you suggesting the tivs might have offended the fulanis? perhaps, killed their cattle?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by amaham(m): 7:36am On Dec 08, 2011
Mr namfav u can help us wit a link 2 believe u or wat u r sayin cud just be palm wine gossips
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 08, 2011
CyberG:

Why is it every time something like these happens, you guys must invoke Ojukwu's name? Look, he has done his bit and it's time you guys (everyone) stands up for himself, or won't you let him rest!? There's no security in Nigeria and this is just a manifestation of it, how come no one is questioning that? Someone is still talking about Usman Dan Fodio who died in 1817, yet the overly-silly Jonadense president said yesterday that Nigeria is NOT ready for state police, most of you didn't think about what that implies. Is it UDF or Ojukwu that you should be mentioning their name (who are gone) or the dead but living president who is supposed to lead?

If states get their state police, it will go hand in hand with a lot of other things: a more "perfect" federal arrangement, better resource control, better security that is on ground and can respond immediately to this kind of barbaric murders, better intelligence. If you lived in a place where you can hardly get away with even one concealed murder, would you be going to kill people in the open? You will most likely be shot dead or arrested, killed eventually or kept away for almost permanently. This forward-looking conversation is what I think is needed now, not shouting the names of people who have done their bit and moved on!

Ojukwu was the man who saw tomorrow. This rampage by the "bloody" merchants of the "Most merciful Allah" was what the man fought for. Incidentally, they have turned their swards on their allies. We must call the names of people who have moved on especially those who predicted the future from the past. This is the day of recknoning for Nigeria.

The Myth of "one" Nigeria is busted. If the Benue people seek refuge, we can accommodate them, else let them brace up and defend their fathers land. There is nothing the federal governemnt can do about it.

Ok just one thing. Restrict the Jihardists to remain only in the places they have conquered so far.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by namfav(m): 8:55am On Dec 08, 2011
what did he see tomorrow? 419, drug trafficking, baby factories, human trafficking, kidnapping? what exactly

noblezone:

Ojukwu was the man who saw tomorrow. This rampage by the "bloody" merchants of the "Most merciful Allah" was what the man fought for. Incidentally, they have turned their swards on their allies. We must call the names of people who have moved on especially those who predicted the future from the past. This is the day of recknoning for Nigeria.

The Myth of "one" Nigeria is busted. If the Benue people seek refuge, we can accommodate them, else let them brace up and defend their fathers land. There is nothing the federal governemnt can do about it.

Ok just one thing. Restrict the Jihardists to remain only in the places they have conquered so far.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 08, 2011
namfav:

what did he see tomorrow? 419, drug trafficking, baby factories, human trafficking, kidnapping? what exactly

He saw the slaughter going on today.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by namfav(m): 9:24am On Dec 08, 2011
because nigeria was always so peaceful

noblezone:

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by sheyguy: 10:23am On Dec 08, 2011
noblezone:

if he had seen these things clearly then he would av seen the attack on ibo-christian in Kaduna and died for what he claimed he truly believe in.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by 27naira(m): 5:48pm On Dec 08, 2011
namfav:

what i know a few weeks back fulani villages were attacked, scores people killed, the media did not report it that much, reports are unfair because the only speak about 1 side

It is absolutely obvious that you're a bigot.
Apparently, you're trying to make a case for the fulanis baa?

Don't just throw up words, support your claim with a link otherwise screw you!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 08, 2011
One side has a master that says 'Turn the other cheek'
The other side says 'An eye for an eye'

It's time for Nigeria to kick all Fulanis out. These guys are definitely not Nigerians. Else damn Jesus and Mohammed.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by Breeze5000: 5:58pm On Dec 08, 2011
When is this ever going to stop?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by thoth: 5:59pm On Dec 08, 2011
In this era we are still talking about herdsmen encroaching on peoples farmlands and destroying what they laboured so hard for, i can see people making comments as if the fulanis had the right to do whatever they want and go scot free. Ahmadu Bello said it in his speech and it lives on till this day. If nigeria does not hasten to settle and educate these people they will be used again as they were used in 1966.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by maasoap(m): 6:15pm On Dec 08, 2011
This thing of biased comments on nairaland is worrisome. Even the report mentioned "fighting and killing", how then did it become Fulanis killing all other tribes while they in turn are just watching. Are you people implying that Fulanis just woke up one day and started killing people? Since when have they been living together? May be since yesterday. All of you are not serious because you couldn't apply common sense after reading report that doesn't make sense. When Berom Christians attacked Muslims on August 29 in Jos, where was it reported until retaliation started? So, you don't need to look for a link because you know how it is with the media when it comes to Muslims/Christians crisis.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by LEXYLOV: 6:24pm On Dec 08, 2011
Nigeria government knows what best to do to eradicate this madness if they are really serious about it. I guess Nigeria is not strange to any kind of ethnic violence,we all can remember what happened in ife/modakeke, ijaw/itsekiri, etc,  and the government response to those area. Am very very sure this fulani herdsmen or whatever they are not more tactical or superior than the entire Nigeria armed forces. We know what happened to ODI. Let the government used the appropriate units of forces in their possession to tackle this madness and brought the perpetrators to justice. That was the reason why we have security forces and leaders to protect the life and property of its citizen, not to attend conferences abroad and living flamboyantly with looting funds of people taxes.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by toshmann(m): 6:28pm On Dec 08, 2011
The rampage is heading south.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by namfav(m): 6:31pm On Dec 08, 2011
im looking for the links as i heard it on my radio, anyway no action without some provocation, people were calling for reprisals from the tivs, this has been happening but the tivs were being hit the hardest, maybe people have to be careful what they wish for
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 6:33pm On Dec 08, 2011
People killing people, sounds like fun
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Kill Many In Benue Communities And Villages by namfav(m): 6:38pm On Dec 08, 2011
as much as they say tivs feel unsafe in the middle belt, same for fulani livelihoods, herdsmen are the only individuals in nigeria who have no one but themselves for protection, peace is a 2 way street, when the livelihood of herdsmen is not respect, their will be trouble, if i take bread from your mouth there will be trouble

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fani-Kayode Blames Occultists For 2006 Plane Crashes / "That Igbo Boy"- Wike To Rivers APC Chieftain Chief Chukwuemeka Eze / The Fake Love As Expired As Result Trickles In From The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.