Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages (13088 Views)

Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? / Difference Between Olden Days Marriage And Modern Days Marriage / Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Aparche(f): 4:30pm On Dec 08, 2011
I have always wondered why marriages during the time of our great-grand/grand fathers never failed(no cases of divorce),
despite the fact that most of them were arranged marriages whereas in our own generation there are a lot of divorces,
in spite of the fact that we choose our partners by ourselves these days. Isn't it an irony, what do y'all think?
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by ronkebp(f): 4:56pm On Dec 08, 2011
Eyes dey closed then, now!!!! eyes don open, cool cool
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by mazaje(m): 5:31pm On Dec 08, 2011
Now women are educated, a lot of them earn as much as men and can survive independently which makes them tolerate less of the nonsense the men throw at them. . .Back in the days women depend solely on men for everything, now its different. . .

1 Like

Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 08, 2011
No irony. Upon how 'humble/ wife material' the women were, they still had high incidence of polygamy, compared to now cheesy
Modern day for me.
Go ask those mamas what they had to put up with. cheesy
These days to make a marriage work, it takes both the man and the woman, not only the woman as before.
Bye bye to suffering and smiling. cool

1 Like

Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 08, 2011
Instead of divorcing the wife, just bring in another wife, and you have the perfect marriage, lol.
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Fhemmmy: 12:25am On Dec 09, 2011
Marriages at that time is not marriage . . . . . Cos they are not happy and yet cant talk.
Divorce then is seen as a taboo . . . . . .
Women then are owned and are like objects, now they have a voice.
Men then are hard working and willing to take care of their homes, Men now are lazy and just wants short cuts and making the woman to even be the bread winner
The women then are willing to give up what they never had for the home, but now, it is all about ME, Me and mE . . .
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by OAM4J: 3:08am On Dec 09, 2011
hmnnnn!
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by mazaje(m): 4:21am On Dec 09, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Marriages at that time is not marriage . . . . . Cos they are not happy and yet cant talk.
Divorce then is seen as a taboo . . . . . .
Women then are owned and are like objects, now they have a voice.
Men then are hard working and willing to take care of their homes, Men now are lazy and just wants short cuts and making the woman to even be the bread winner
The women then are willing to give up what they never had for the home, but now, it is all about ME, Me and mE . . .

Back in the days men had excessive power and treat their women any how they want to. . . .Divorce unfortunately will only get higher as women are increasingly becoming educated and earning good wages. . . .They can live without depending on any man and as such will tolerate less of the nonsense men throw at them. . . .A lot of the old school marriages are not marriages. . .Most of the women are just suffering in silence. . .

2 Likes

Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 09, 2011
Olden days :Ankara are worn by the wife with Bikini inside

modern days: Bikini are worn outside with no p*nties undecided
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Sleekjd(f): 9:07am On Dec 09, 2011
In dose days, wifes suffered, smiled n endured in dia matrimonial homes. My Paternal grandma sufferd so much in d hands of my grandpa. After 9children he married anoda woman n abandoned her; she really sufferd. Recently in a discussion wif my dad, he said tradition forbade his mother to eat anytin from his fada's farm @ a particular time. Imagine dat! These days, which educated woman ll go tru dese? God forbid, nt wen I ve got a gooood job cool

1 Like

Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 9:15am On Dec 09, 2011
No insult meant,but if i may ask,did you know what most of the women then suffered and endure for and on is worser(if english permit that grammer)than divorce?look at the way women are been used then as slave,then instead of divorce they can easily get a new wife just like somebody said earlier.
Love is blind then but now love can see and love is now wiser than before.
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by ImaIma1(f): 10:35am On Dec 09, 2011
then, people blivd more in marriage. men were more responsible and women were more submissive.

its not all parents then that did not love each other and talk. some of our parents are still 2geda and still in love.

right now men are so irresponsible and are too prone to violence, infidelity and wickedness and women are more enlightened and less submissive.

people were wiser and more family oriented then unlike now in this computer age where we try to be like the western pple.

1 Like

Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Aparche(f): 10:42am On Dec 09, 2011
AYODEJI4LOVE:

No insult meant,but if i may ask,did you know what most of the women then suffered and endure for and on is worser(if english permit that grammer)than divorce?look at the way women are been used then as slave,then instead of divorce they can easily get a new wife just like somebody said earlier.
Love is blind then but now love can see and love is now wiser than before.

I guess in those days women were treated like 2nd class citizens, they had no say whatsoever in how the home was run:
all they did was to take care of their husband's/children's need. Their desire & feelings were totally disregarded, that's why
most of them had a master-servant r/ship with their husbands.
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by monkeyleg: 11:14am On Dec 09, 2011
Simple, the values of the olden days and different from the values of today. Not to say that the values of today are better than the values of years gone by. I would argue that the meaning of marriage today has been so distorted selfishly, that is some cases it loses the meaning entirely. No wonder people divorce today for what ever reason suits them
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Baawaa(m): 11:15am On Dec 09, 2011
Enough divorce then,it was just there was no record!!
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 09, 2011
Women back then tolerate one minute men but now, mbaaaaaaaaa nu, only 30minutes minimum kind of men are accepted everywhere. cool

Tufiakwa back then wey be say if our mamas need some loving, instead of going to their husbands and grabbing their di[i]c[/i]kkksss, what do they do? rub white powder round their necks as sign say kongi dey hold them sad

Tufiakwa again, those days wey be say women managed "missionary" position all their lives but now? if you are not multi-talented you don't stand a chance in my car not to talk of my bedroom cool

Tufiakwa the third time, those days that women had to manage di[i]c[/i]ksss only without the use of fingers and tongues. cry cry

Back then wey women saw dirty talking as crime and were happy to have quiet men (breathing like Samson when he killed the lion and freed himself from the chains delilah's people put on him) as husbands.

Thank goodness for liberation, now breeze don blow and okuko(chicken) nyash don open.

PS only men with multi talented VISA(accepted everywhere)dic[i]k[/i]ss are allowed into the chambers of the fountain of living waters grin cheesy. We accept only very wealthy and well fed di[i]c[/i]kssss now with potentials and when I mean potentials I mean d ones that will come out of ya throat and make you break the da vinci code with praises. Those ones you go on your knees and sing praises and worships with and for, that so tey annointing will catch it and it will start responding by shooting out with happiness like when Naija first regained freedom. cool

I hope Mr poster that yours sincerely here have answered your question. Thank me with a RR sports cool
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 09, 2011
//
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Enice(m): 12:02pm On Dec 09, 2011
In the olden days, it was not just the man and the woman getting married, but the families also. The family name was far more important than emotions. Therefore, you could be out of love with your partner but because of the respect for family, you will have to endure all sort of situations. Even when you've had it up to here, you could not do anything because the family will post out issues. And if you insist on leaving, you would be disowned, exiled, excommunicated, ostracized, etc.
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 09, 2011
chaircover:

Marriage in those days was solely for procreation. I don’t even think that the men talk less of the women enjoyed companionship in the real sense of it. More like a master servant relationship and for many it was suffering and smiling.

Thank God for the jet age smiley

So what you have now is marriage? My guy just landed in the Atlanta area and every mature-not-married woman is after him. The guy dey chill as they are competing to beat others in fucccking and taking him to church.
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by humblebee: 12:31pm On Dec 09, 2011
olden days- love and compatibility were not a primary criteria
eyes never too open so a woman does not look out for much

now- love is considered, compatibility, genotype, spirituality even generational curses are traced now, lol smiley
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 09, 2011
jennykadry:

Women back then tolerate one minute men but now, mbaaaaaaaaa nu, only 30minutes minimum kind of men are accepted everywhere. cool

Tufiakwa back then wey be say if our mamas need some loving, instead of going to their husbands and grabbing their di[i]c[/i]kkksss, what do they do? rub white powder round their necks as sign say kongi dey hold them sad

Tufiakwa again, those days wey be say women managed "missionary" position all their lives but now? if you are not multi-talented you don't stand a chance in my car not to talk of my bedroom cool

Tufiakwa the third time, those days that women had to manage di[i]c[/i]ksss only without the use of fingers and tongues. cry cry

Back then wey women saw dirty talking as crime and were happy to have quiet men (breathing like Samson when he killed the lion and freed himself from the chains delilah's people put on him) as husbands.

Thank goodness for liberation, now breeze don blow and okuko(chicken) nyash don open.

PS only men with multi talented VISA(accepted everywhere)dic[i]k[/i]ss are allowed into the chambers of the fountain of living waters grin cheesy. We accept only very wealthy and well fed di[i]c[/i]kssss now with potentials and when I mean potentials I mean d ones that will come out of ya throat and make you break the da vinci code with praises. Those ones you go on your knees and sing praises and worships with and for, that so tey annointing will catch it and it will start responding by shooting out with happiness like when Naija first regained freedom. cool

I hope Mr poster that yours sincerely here have answered your question. Thank me with a RR sports cool

shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Aparche(f): 4:10pm On Dec 09, 2011
jennykadry:

Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by mazaje(m): 4:47pm On Dec 09, 2011
jennykadry:

Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Shuku: 11:47pm On Dec 09, 2011
The era of women suffering in silence for the sake of her children has come and gone. Now women can stand up to men when their pride, dignity, independence and even in some cases, LIVES is at stake.
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by amor4ce(m): 8:18am On Dec 10, 2011
Have you all been drinking of the wine of the fornication of the Amorites?
In Yorubaland women have lots of rights and have been treated with respect before colonialism. Is it so for other neighbouring cultures? Aren't there some cultures in the Niger Delta that have the women doing farmwork while the men drink ogogoro.

Weren't fellow women involved in getting their womenfolk to suffer, in those days and up till today?
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by Pharoh: 9:32am On Dec 10, 2011
It has to do with the difference in values then, ideologies, economic situation and rights prescribed by the society. Both dispensations has their strength and weakness, it is best to combine the best practices of both dispensation to create your own ideas.
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by gabbytabby: 4:38pm On Dec 10, 2011
jennykadry:

Tell them oh jenny  grin grin grin

Especially if they expect all the benefits of old. Wifey cooked meals, free laundromatt and bad chick house cleaner. If your woman keeps saying she has a headache you need to check yourself cos it might be a way of saying she tired of expecting cloud 9 and then you reach cloud 3 and drop her for ground.
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by icez: 5:53pm On Dec 10, 2011
See analysis. grin
Re: Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages by healthserve(m): 6:48pm On Aug 18, 2019
Aparche:
I have always wondered why marriages during the time of our great-grand/grand fathers never failed(no cases of divorce),
despite the fact that most of them were arranged marriages whereas in our own generation there are a lot of divorces,
in spite of the fact that we choose our partners by ourselves these days. Isn't it an irony, what do y'all think?

2011. Wow.

Did you finally find the answers?

(1) (Reply)

Woman Marries 2 Men, Charged To Sharia Court / Can I Marry My Brother's Wife Sister / NL Husband Material

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.