Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga (6604 Views)

Biafra: Cross River Issues Stern Warning Against Protest - the Nation / Buhari Meets With German Chancellor, Angela Merkel / Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s Wartime Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Nobody: 10:40pm On Dec 08, 2011
“I want see no Red Cross, no Caritas, no World Council of Churches, no pope, no missionary, and no United Nations Delegation. I want to prevent even one Igbo from having even one piece to eat before their capitulation. We shoot at everything that moves and when our troops march into the center of Igbo territory, we shoot at everything even a things that don’t move”—Benjamin Adekunle

New York [RR] Igweocha—we bring to you translation of an interview granted by Major Benjamin Adekunle of the Nigerian Army to a German Reporter, Randolph Baumann, of STERN Magazine on August 18 1968 in Igweocha. Republicreport.com wants to confirm that the patent content of this interview is the property of Stern Magazine. The interview speaks for itself. Republicreport publisher is a survival of Major Benjamin Adekunle’s war crimes against humanity. Read on.

”I have to kill the Ibos—sorry”

Stern reporter Randolph Baumann spoke with the General of the Nigerian front troops.

If you want to get to know the devil of Africa, just ask for Adekunle. He is the man who is responsible for the death of 100,000 Ibo people”. The man who provided this tip to Randolph Baumann, the Stern reporter, was Mister Ikpa, the official representative of the Republic of Biafra in Lisbon. Mister Ikpa knew even more: “Adekunle does not like journalists. He had a man from England who disagreed with him shaved bald, do an hour of push-ups, and write one-thousand times: I am a crappy Englishman and don’t have a say in Nigeria”.

Having been thus forewarned, the Stern reporter flew to Port Harcourt, a big Biafra harbor city in the midst of a swamp and in the oil field of the Niger-delta, and requested an interview from the “devil” Benjamin Adekunle.

Major Adekunle, 28-years old, General of the Nigerian troops on the South front sat enthroned behind the General’s desk of the Shell administration, which he had made into his main station when he took the Ibo-city by storm on May 18. Now he stated: “I am convinced you will report objectively and keep to our orders.” We confirmed that.

“Okay,” he beamed, “the Germans just know how war works. Tonight there is a front-party in my headquarters. You will come! An order is an order!”

This interview with the most important man in the Nigerian war took place at night. Whisky and beer were abundant, uniformed go-go girls played DJ, Adekunle danced and petted his mascot, a small mountain goat named “Ojukwu”.

STERN: Your friends in the federal government of Lagos call you the “bloodhound of Nigeria”. You are chasing a whole people. You kill everything.

ADEKUNLE: Europeans are awful. They always generalize. My troops have kept prisoners. You have had a chance to convince yourself of this.

STERN: I only saw one prisoner, a fifteen-year old boy.

ADEKUNLE: There you are! In addition I want to emphasize that we do not murder all people who no longer want to remain members of the Nigeria Federation.

STERN: Does that mean that you do not want the extinction of the Ibos?

ADEKUNLE: The nation which the Ibos founded under the name of Biafra on May 30, 1967 is not a pure Ibo-federation. You Europeans should really know that by now. Seven million Ibos and five million other population groups are living now in the 80% overpopulated Biafra: Ibibios, Ijaws, Kalabaris, Ekios, Efiks, and Annangs. These minority populations in the Ibo nation have always hated the Ibos. Therefore they jubilantly welcome the liberation of their areas through federal troops.

STERN: What are your troops doing when they march into a town around Port Harcourt, an area where most of the farmers are not Ibos?

ADEKUNLE: We aim at everything that moves.

STERN: Small children tend not to stay put for very long.

ADEKUNLE: I know. I have two myself.

STERN: What will your troops do when you get to the Ibo heartland, that is, to the place populated by Ibos only?

ADEKUNLE: There we will aim at everything even if it is not moving.

STERN: Are you racist?

ADEKUNLE: You should know exactly where racists are. There is no such thing as racism in Nigeria.

STERN: But why are you refusing to discuss this war with a European?

ADEKUNLE: Let me tell you something: When the Russians surrounded Stalingrad did you request a land corridor from them so as to better feed your soldiers who were stuck in the pot there? Of course you didn’t and I can tell from your face that you think the thought of a land corridor to bring in food for the captured German soldiers in Stalingrad is a bad joke. Me too. Where and when, …………., was there a war in which the loser was re-nourished one more time before the final loss? Why are you just calling for a land corridor for Biafra? Why aren’t you calling for a land corridor for the Viet Kong? I have to declare: You Europeans are simply not competent!

STERN: What is happening to the European Humanitarian Assistance programs which were authorized through your government?

ADEKUNLE: In the section of the front that I rule—and that is the whole south front from Lagos to the border of Kamerun—I do not want to see the Red Cross, Caritas Aid, World Church delegation, Pope, Missionary, or UN delegation.

STERN: Does that mean that the many thousands of tons of food that are stored in Lagos will never get to the refugee camps in your section of the country?

ADEKUNLE: You are a sharp one, my friend. That’s exactly what I am saying.

STERN: But you said yourself that most of the refugees in the part you captured are not Ibos.

ADEKUNLE: But there could be Ibos among them. I want to avoid feeding a single Ibo as long as this whole people have not given up yet.

STERN: Do you sometimes feel sympathy for the Ibos?

ADEKUNLE: I have learned a word from the British, which is “sorry”! That’s how I want to respond to your question. I did not want this war but I want to win this war. Therefore I have to kill the Ibos. Sorry! The End.
http://www.republicreport.com/biafra-adekunles-wartime-interview-with-german-randolph-baumann-of-stern-magazine-august-18-1968-in-igweocha/
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Nobody: 10:47pm On Dec 08, 2011
is this guy a human being? If it were to be the Germans we would have been screaming racism, but this dude is a fellow Nigerian.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by ektbear: 10:53pm On Dec 08, 2011
Not a human being. He is a

Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by AndreUweh(m): 11:00pm On Dec 08, 2011
@the O.P, this thread has been posted several times in this section. There is nothing new to add.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Uchek(m): 11:20pm On Dec 08, 2011
He fought for the Hausa-Fulani domination. Having used him, they dumped his ass in his compulsorily retirement in 1974. The Nigeria which he blindly fought for is now a toxic environment for him and his future generation.

Who is loser after all.?
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by EMANY01(m): 11:38pm On Dec 08, 2011
^^^^^^^
There is no greater personal failure than a man who delibratly or otherwise fights a clearly unjust caurse and to find out later in his life he was wrong and ridiculously used and dumped.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Uchek(m): 2:44am On Dec 09, 2011
Emany 01: You said it very well.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Onlytruth(m): 2:54am On Dec 09, 2011
Every Yoruba should always be ashamed of this man. I occasionally put myself in Yoruba shoes and imagine how this man represents me (whether I like it or not). Simply sad. sad

@Ekt_bear,
The Igbo say that when a madman is dancing naked in the streets, it is his relatives that feel the shame, not the mad man. undecided
I wouldn't dance with him like you are doing. Folks might start to look at you funny. hehehe! grin
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by 2mch(m): 3:09am On Dec 09, 2011
I had a very good laugh at EMANY and Onlytruth's comments. It describes Ojukwu to a T, a very apt description. I had to check the title again to make sure i wasnt in the wrong thread. Kind of like Pot calling kettle black.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:28am On Dec 09, 2011
2mch:

I had a very good laugh at EMANY and Onlytruth's comments. It describes Ojukwu to a T, a very apt description. I had to check the title again to make sure i wasnt in the wrong thread. Kind of like Pot calling kettle black.

Trust me, you can't spin Emany and Onlytruths' comments to suit your own agenda without looking stupi*d. I'll explain if you're too thick to understand wink.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by na2day(m): 5:26am On Dec 09, 2011
shocked shocked shocked Is he still alive? shocked
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by tpia5: 5:29am On Dec 09, 2011
isnt this like the second or third time i'm seeing a thread on the same topic within one week?

didnt i post a couple of responses somewhere previously?
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by ektbear: 5:55am On Dec 09, 2011
@Onlytruth: There is nothing he did wrong. So he has no reason to be ashamed.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Onlytruth(m): 6:07am On Dec 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Onlytruth: There is nothing he did wrong. So he has no reason to be ashamed.

Ok, fair enough, but let's play a little game called "Reverse-role".

Here is the situation reversed:

STERN: [/b]What will your troops do when you get to the Yoruba heartland, that is, to the place populated by Yorubas only?

[b]ADEKUNLE: [/b]There we will aim at everything even if it is not moving.

[b]STERN
: But you said yourself that most of the refugees in the part you captured are not Yorubas.

ADEKUNLE: But there could be Yorubas among them. I want to avoid feeding a single Yoruba as long as this whole people have not given up yet.

STERN: Do you sometimes feel sympathy for the Yoruba?

ADEKUNLE: I have learned a word from the British, which is “sorry”! That’s how I want to respond to your question. I did not want this war but I want to win this war. Therefore I have to kill the Yorubas. Sorry!

Now, assume that Adekunle were a Biafra commander in the war; do you think there would EVER be peace between Igbo and Yoruba until Igbo distances from this man and even apologize to the Yoruba about his actions?

You see why we laugh at you guys when you talk as if you seriously want to stop Hausa/Fulani in Nigeria.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Nobody: 6:57am On Dec 09, 2011
The man is a beast. Danjuma got some juicy political appointments before he retired. He was even recently nominated by as one of the two recipients of the silverbird man of the year. Obasanjo became head of state/president on three occasions. Murtala became head of state before his untimely but yet deservedly death. IBB, Buhari both became head of state. But what did the animal get? He was summarily dismissed from office by the same fulanis he fought with. There is this igbo saying that when a slave is being killed the other slaves should not laugh because one day it will get to his turn.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 09, 2011
How can he call a dog Ojukwu. Eve in death(ojukwu), he (adekunle) could not ahieve what ojukwu achieved. Talking of adekunle, I got to know about him on nairaland. complete loser.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by ektbear: 7:30am On Dec 09, 2011
Onlytruth:

Ok, fair enough, but let's play a little game called "Reverse-role".

Here is the situation reversed:

STERN: [/b]What will your troops do when you get to the Yoruba heartland, that is, to the place populated by Yorubas only?

[b]ADEKUNLE: [/b]There we will aim at everything even if it is not moving.

[b]STERN
: But you said yourself that most of the refugees in the part you captured are not Yorubas.

ADEKUNLE: But there could be Yorubas among them. I want to avoid feeding a single Yoruba as long as this whole people have not given up yet.

STERN: Do you sometimes feel sympathy for the Yoruba?

ADEKUNLE: I have learned a word from the British, which is “sorry”! That’s how I want to respond to your question. I did not want this war but I want to win this war. Therefore I have to kill the Yorubas. Sorry!

Now, assume that Adekunle were a Biafra commander in the war; do you think there would EVER be peace between Igbo and Yoruba until Igbo distances from this man and even apologize to the Yoruba about his actions?

You see why we laugh at you guys when you talk as if you seriously want to stop Hausa/Fulani in Nigeria.

Obviously there is asymmetry in our positions. If I had been on the receiving end of Adekunle, I would likely hate his guts and that of his people.

To this day there are Americans who hate the Northern part of the country, hate Lincoln, etc.

I've never asked any of ya'll to be pro-Adekunle or something.

But that I understand why you dislike him doesn't mean I must too. Any more than I must hate Lincoln because a man from Georgia does.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by saintneo(m): 8:30am On Dec 09, 2011
What is his situation at the moment?
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Onlytruth(m): 9:51am On Dec 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Obviously there is asymmetry in our positions. If I had been on the receiving end of Adekunle, I would likely hate his guts and that of his people.

To this day there are Americans who hate the Northern part of the country, hate Lincoln, etc.

But that I understand why you dislike him doesn't mean I must too. Any more than I must hate Lincoln because a man from Georgia does.

There you go again spoiling an otherwise sound reasoning. Please don't pull down the image of a great and decent man like Lincoln by equating him with a crude raving lunatic racist like Adekunle.
Adenkule was not fighting against Eastern Nigeria as he should; he was fighting against Igbos and minorities who supported them.
He felt that the minorities were daft not to be able to see a reason to join Igbos in fighting for emancipation of Eastern Nigeria. He however felt that without the Igbos, the minorities would not fight. That was his height of condescension on the minorities. Abraham Lincoln never singled out the French or German or Italian Americans to wipe them out like Adekunle was trying to wipe Igbos out.

I understand that conscience is not a standard attribute of every human being, as I've learned here in NL, but don't try to make it look as if Adekunle was justified to wage a racist war against Igbos, instead of fighting a war of unification as a Nigerian army officer. His lack of conscience and rabid racism actually made him look weak and loud.
If I were a Biafran battalion commander during the war, I would have assigned a special sniper squad to make sure he never lived long enough to be relieved of his weak/poor command. cool
The Nigerians did the job before the Biafrans could have got to him though.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 09, 2011
saintneo:

What is his situation at the moment?
He's a nobody at the moment. Nobody recognizes him in anything. He's not seen at social functions. He is only known at a particular joint in surulere. A popular old dejected figure. He can't even rub shoulders with the likes of IBB and the military elites. If Adekunle was fulani, then I would have understood the reasons for his hate towards the igbos, but he was yoruba. It's was more like a case of someone "taking panadol over someone's else headache". A case of " ACUTE INFERIORITY COMPLEX.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:14pm On Dec 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

^^^Listen to yourself!!! Are you that shameless and devoid of any shred of humanity that you would see the evil actions of this animal as just another day at the war front just b'cos he was 'trying' to annihilate the very people you despise? And don't try to wriggle out of this one by saying you don't despise Ndigbo, as the bolded in your post above shows you RECOGNIZE AND UNDERSTAND Igbos' sentiments towards this evil man, but couldn't care less b'cos his actions were not targeted at your people. You see how wicked and devoid of empathy your words make you look?

I actually thought you were one of the reasonable and dispassionate Yorubas on this site, but i guess i have to look elsewhere for those traits.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by realchange: 8:12pm On Dec 09, 2011
dis adekunle sef
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by ektbear: 11:59pm On Dec 09, 2011
I don't view his actions as evil.

He didn't do anything worse than many have done throughout history.

If he is "evil", then so is Abraham Lincoln, General Sherman, Truman, and a host of other historical figures who today are being lionized (or at a minimum viewed neutrally by historians.)

As I said, there is an asymmetry here. That you find Action X repugnant does not mean that it is necessarily evil, or that all must find it wrong.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by realchange: 12:01am On Dec 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't view his actions as evil.

He didn't do anything worse than many have done throughout history.

If he is "evil", then so is Abraham Lincoln, General Sherman, Truman, and a host of other historical figures who today are being lionized (or at a minimum viewed neutrally by historians.)

As I said, there is an asymmetry here. That you find Action X repugnant does not mean that it is necessarily evil, or that all must find it wrong.

so what is your own definition of evil?
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by ektbear: 12:26am On Dec 10, 2011
I'll answer your question with another question.

Why is Adekunle evil, but the Americans who dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan not evil?

Why aren't the British who firebombed Dresden not evil?

Why isn't Lincoln evil, for burning nearly everything in the southern US to the ground (well, doing so through his generals)?

If Adekunle is evil, then all of the above figures/forces were evil too.

My memory of the events surrounding the Vietnam war has faded quite a bit, but I can guarantee that all sides committed more atrocities than likely anything Adekunle did.

Now it would be a different story if one could demonstrate that Adekunle intended to kill whether you surrendered or not.

But condemning a man for what most consider relatively unsurprising actions in the middle of a war is silly.

I don't even know why I'm even arguing this point. I don't really care whether you like him or not. It isn't by force to agree.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by realchange: 12:32am On Dec 10, 2011
STERN: Your friends in the federal government of Lagos call you the “bloodhound of Nigeria”. You are chasing a whole people. You kill everything.

ADEKUNLE: Europeans are awful. They always generalize. My troops have kept prisoners. You have had a chance to convince yourself of this.

STERN: I only saw one prisoner, a fifteen-year old boy.

ADEKUNLE: There you are! In addition I want to emphasize that we do not murder all people who no longer want to remain members of the Nigeria Federation.

adekunle was obviously killing every igbo he captured. he was just trying to appear "fair"
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by bashr8: 12:33am On Dec 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Why is Adekunle evil, but the Americans who dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan not evil?

Why isn't Lincoln evil, for burning nearly everything in the southern US to the ground (well, doing so through his generals)?

My memory of the events surrounding the Vietnam war has faded quite a bit, but I can guarantee that all sides committed more atrocities than likely anything Adekunle did.

Now it would be a different story if one could demonstrate that Adekunle intended to kill whether you surrendered or not.

But condemning a man for what most consider relatively unsurprising actions in the middle of a war is silly.

I don't even know why I'm even arguing this point. I don't really care whether you like him or not. It isn't by force to agree.

i used to think you have brains but its obvious your a complete dunce. now we know the kind of people you look up to .
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by realchange: 12:35am On Dec 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

so why pretend to justify the guys actions? why not just say you support mass killers? no be by force to get conscience abeg.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by dayokanu(m): 12:40am On Dec 10, 2011
lucenzo:

STERN: But why are you refusing to discuss this war with a European?

ADEKUNLE: [size=18pt]Let me tell you something: When the Russians surrounded Stalingrad did you request a land corridor from them so as to better feed your soldiers who were stuck in the pot there? Of course you didn’t and I can tell from your face that you think the thought of a land corridor to bring in food for the captured German soldiers in Stalingrad is a bad joke. Me too. Where and when, …………., was there a war in which the loser was re-nourished one more time before the final loss? Why are you just calling for a land corridor for Biafra? Why aren’t you calling for a land corridor for the Viet Kong? I have to declare: You Europeans are simply not competent[/size]!
http://www.republicreport.com/biafra-adekunles-wartime-interview-with-german-randolph-baumann-of-stern-magazine-august-18-1968-in-igweocha/

May God continue to bless this man wherever he is BENJAMIN BABAMAJA ADEKUNLE the man who sent Ojuku to Abidjan

Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 10, 2011
^^^^^
LOL grin grin grin grin grin

This guy, you will not kill me on this website! I find this picture very funny, he looked damn serious!
Anyway, war is serious business, except Ojukwu didn't know.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by ektbear: 12:41am On Dec 10, 2011
@bashr8: To my knowledge, I have never shown in the past any type of regard for what you think or don't think. So it isn't clear to me why you seem to believe I care about your thoughts now.
Re: Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga by dayokanu(m): 12:41am On Dec 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

[size=18pt]Why is Adekunle evil, but the Americans who dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan not evil?

If Adekunle is evil, then all of the above figures/forces were evil too.[/size]

Excellent questions, But Ibos would always deny the obvious.

Adekunle had a war to win and he defeated all Biafran Generals flat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Suspends Public Hearing On Social Media Bill Till Next Year / Bandits Tax Farmers Before Harvest In Kaduna Community / Ex-NANS Secretary, Kolawale Oni, Killed In Car Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.