Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? (9081 Views)

How Do I Completely Drain Fluid In Torque Converter? / Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator / What Kind Of Transmission Fluid (ATF) Should I Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by cmon(m): 12:48am On Dec 09, 2011
A friend of mine recently changed the gear box of his 2001 toyota camry and was told it got bad because he wasn't regularly changing the transmission fluid. Initially I thought one only need to top up this fluid and not to change the entire thing. I've been using mine (toyota camry 2003) for 6 months now (since I bought the ride) and it's due for servicing again.

Is it normal to drain the entire fluid and replace it with new one as the mechanic is suggesting? Or really is it just a topping up stuff?

Auto experts, take this away.
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by Nobody: 1:15am On Dec 09, 2011
More like change the fluid every 30,000 miles, and simply check levels when service is carried out. Check for leaks too, auto trannies won't last long if run low for extended periods.
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by franklinjoseph(m): 9:24am On Dec 09, 2011
If ur gear box wants to spoil, it will whether u change the gear fluid or not
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by JUO(m): 9:27am On Dec 09, 2011
it is better to change it after a while depends on the usage. 2 to 3 months will be ok for private cars
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by gasplant: 9:30am On Dec 09, 2011
franklinjoseph:

If your gear box wants to spoil, it will whether u change the gear fluid or not

Na wah oo,what a reponse, the OP requested for expert opinion
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by nissparts(m): 9:49am On Dec 09, 2011
Transmission Fluid change intervals depends entirely on the vehicle in question but I can assure you that no modern vehicle would require your ATF to be changed every 4 months.
It's a sealed unit and if you even need to be topping it off occasionally, then something is wrong
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by blackky187(m): 9:57am On Dec 09, 2011
i have a Toyota Rav4 which i have used for 2 years plus now and i have not changed my transmission fluid for all these years and everything is still working fine.
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by cardoctor(m): 10:25am On Dec 09, 2011
Yes, definitely, regardless of whether you have a manual or an automatic transmission.

Manual: Most manufacturers recommend that manual transmission fluid be changed every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. Under heavy-duty use, some manufacturers suggest changing transmission fluid every 15,000 miles.

Automatic: Service intervals for an automatic transmission vary from every 30,000 miles , to never. The typical service interval is 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Changing it more often does no harm.

1 Like

Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by chelseabmw(m): 10:33am On Dec 09, 2011
blackky187:

i have a Toyota Rav4 which i have used for 2 years plus now and i have not changed my transmission fluid for all these years and everything is still working fine.

just count yourself lucky then . . . . embarassed
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by icemann(m): 11:47am On Dec 09, 2011
2002 Honda Accord manual says 60k to 120k miles
2004 murano says 60k miles

Most drivers Average 10k to 20k miles a year

@Poster. Just read the car manual and you wouldn't be ripped off my your mech.
If you dont have one, download online
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by domack99(m): 12:09pm On Dec 09, 2011
Never tourch your ATF unless the auto light give a warning signal or there is a leakage except for the regular top up if the fluid is low. I bought a tokumbo car and i decided to do general servicing including changing the entire gear oil and after the servicing the gear started bringing up different issues. I end up changing the gear so i will advice you never to tourch the gear except if fault is detected. Naija workshop not to even talk about the road side mechanic are yet to master the maintenance and servicing of gear system
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by nissparts(m): 12:32pm On Dec 09, 2011
domack99:

Never tourch your ATF unless the auto light give a warning signal or there is a leakage except for the regular top up if the fluid is low. I bought a tokumbo car and i decided to do general servicing including changing the entire gear oil and after the servicing the gear started bringing up different issues. I end up changing the gear so i will advice you never to tourch the gear except if fault is detected. Naija workshop not to even talk about the road side mechanic are yet to master the maintenance and servicing of gear system

Exactly!
A drain and refill, especially when done after a loooong period without transmission fluid replacement will cause more harm than good to your auto transmission
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by humblebee: 1:02pm On Dec 09, 2011
i used my camry 1999 pencil light for over 2years and never changed the oil, i was once advised to do so by a mechanic but another experienced car user asked me not to do so, so i didnt, i just sold it 2months ago and there was nothing wrong with it. i want to believe its the same gear with 2001 camry so if there's no sign of malfunctioning, just top it and dont change it completely else you might be opening your door to regular donation to the mechanics, cheers
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by symbianDON(m): 3:33pm On Dec 09, 2011
there's absolutely no harm in changing ur transmission fluid at manufacturer specified intervals. where most people go wrong is that they do not adhere to the specified fluid type for their trannies and in most cases over fill the tranny with more fluid than required. i drive a camry and the specified fluid is ATF DEXRON ll. i buy from either total or oando because there are many substandard products in the market. i ve had the car for 4 years and changed my ATF about 4 times. the only thing i have noticed is an increased outburst of power after each change!

1 Like

Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by cmon(m): 10:30pm On Dec 09, 2011
Wonderful responses from you all. Una be bad guys  cool

I bought the car at 86k miles and now it's 89k miles. I'm not even thinking about touching it anymore.

When the mechanic starts talking about changing the oil, I'll just lecture him as you have all done. He'll be looking at me like one high tech car guy, not knowing it's the power of the internet.  grin

Thanks guys.
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by hardywaltz(m): 10:42pm On Dec 09, 2011
@ Op, I drove my Nissan Primera for 3yrs without changing the AFT the only reason it was changed was coz I had an accident and it started leaking; bought my honda EOD @ 68k miles was forced to change it coz it was above 60kmiles as advised on the manual; my mileage is almost 80k miles and more than a year and am yet to change it.
The requirement is to change it after the first 60miles (about 5yrs for a private car) and subsequently after every 30K miles (about 2.5 years) so don't waste ur money.
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by Ramram: 1:04pm On Dec 11, 2011
My BMW functions well even without changing the gearbox fluid for many months.
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 05, 2012
cmon: A friend of mine recently changed the gear box of his 2001 toyota camry and was told it got bad because he wasn't regularly changing the transmission fluid. Initially I thought one only need to top up this fluid and not to change the entire thing. I've been using mine (toyota camry 2003) for 6 months now (since I bought the ride) and it's due for servicing again.

Is it normal to drain the entire fluid and replace it with new one as the mechanic is suggesting? Or really is it just a topping up stuff?

Auto experts, take this away.

Not true. Do you have access to an owners manual? I woudl just follow that.
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 06, 2012
anything that will prolong the life of the tranny is good
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by baaliyah(m): 9:21am On Jul 07, 2012
How are you sure the new ATF will be better than the one that came with the car. You hardly get original ATF in Niger. It is good to change according to ur car manual. You have to consider your routes to work 30 minutes moving 2hours static and your engine is running and stuff like that.
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by ib4babes(m): 9:32am On Jul 07, 2012
I've used my QX4 '03 model for 1yr and 4months without touching the ATF and i've got no stress as the SUV still gives me what i need on the road, but when i bought my camry pencil light i changed the ATF within 3months bc the conversion redused and finally my mechanic clean the transmission filter and for 9months now its been ok and nobody has ever touched it again
Re: Is It Normal To Drain Transmission Fluid (gearbox Fluid) Every 4 Months? by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 07, 2012
ba_aliyah: How are you sure the new ATF will be better than the one that came with the car. You hardly get original ATF in Niger. It is good to change according to ur car manual. You have to consider your routes to work 30 minutes moving 2hours static and your engine is running and stuff like that.
there are original ATF in Nigeria, just that they may be expensive. check ur car manual fr the recommended ATF and the time to change. MINE is Dexron III

(1) (Reply)

Pics From 2018 Volvo Enthusiasts Forum Meeting /get-together / SEAT Wants Drivers To Follow These Tips To Their Make Car A.C Work Effectively / I'm In Need Of A Car For Uber/bolt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.