Stats: 3,148,670 members, 7,801,934 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? (12110 Views)

Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles / Maggi Family Menu: (2) (3) (4)

Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nickydrake(m): 7:30am On Dec 09, 2011
First off, i live alone, make my own meals occasionally lipsrsealed and all. So, why exactly do they make these seasoning cubes so hard to grind with the fingers? Is there some high tech innovation for breaking 'em that i don't know abou undecidedt? Cos i almost get blisters every time i make a meal, thanks to rock hard Knorr cubes. In fact, i'm strongly considering getting a hammer and chisel solely for cooking purposes. cheesy
So i'd like an explanation and a less painful way of making good food. grin Thank you.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by obowunmi(m): 12:09pm On Dec 09, 2011
Ahahaha! Too funny.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Wokeyim(f): 3:51pm On Dec 09, 2011
U can choose to melt the cubes in a little water (preferably hot water) in a bowl and then turn it into what you are cooking. The cubes are usually hard when you just buy them but once they begin to get old or have been exposed to air, they become softer.

Good luck.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 09, 2011
'How did this get to frontpage' thread of the year
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by nwaka80(f): 3:56pm On Dec 09, 2011
Na wao, there is no way u cannot grind a maggi cube with ur fingers no matter hw strong.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Sparkle777(f): 3:58pm On Dec 09, 2011
Just place the cubes near the stove or cooker,the heat helps soften it.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 09, 2011
i put my maggi in a strip of toilet paper and use my metal bat to smash it
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 09, 2011
I wonder! I bought bouillon cubes last night and i just couldnt get it to crumble to cook. I normally just toss the entire cube into the pot and let it melt on its own.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by somegirl1: 4:22pm On Dec 09, 2011
nwaka_80:

Na wao, there is no way u cannot grind a maggi cube with your fingers no matter hw strong.
not true, i've had to use hard items to disintegrate maggi.
Knorr is not as hard however.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:25pm On Dec 09, 2011
I prefer knorr cubes. They break into fine powder in your hands.

One time I wanted to fry eggs with Maggi star, I had to wrap it in a piece of cloth, place it underneath my car tyres and drove over it to crush the darn thing! angry
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 09, 2011
^^^ HEHE! Exaggerate much? tongue
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by OgaMadam(f): 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2011
the chemicals in it make it hard
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by mustspin: 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2011
Okija_juju:

I prefer knorr cubes. They break into fine powder in your hands.

One time I wanted to fry eggs with Maggi star, I had to wrap it in a piece of cloth, place it underneath my car tyres and drove over it to crush the darn thing! angry
^^^o boy, u go fear maggi star na grin grin grin. its usually so f**king hard especially during hamattan. but the knorr aint always hard sha
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by armyofone(m): 5:01pm On Dec 09, 2011
See them, classic!! BFE (Bachelor For Ever) tongue

get a good job and go and marry instead of sleeping inside the kitchen trying to break a common maggie cube.

david, a whole you with plenty nwatas for U.R and my sch your neighbor college still dey do maggi work for inside kitchen, see una.

yeah, na automatic missile we gals dey use break maggi eh, na so e easy reach ba?
tongue tongue

siddon there and use a lifetime learning how to make maggie dissolve in soup and stew.
no gal should respond to this thread.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by olaezebala: 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2011
na my teeth i de use for the maggic maggi breaking before not until i started feeling some serious pain in my mouth. I now discover a easy way of breaking maggi. Just act like a soldier for few seconds and do the "left , right" movement on the cube then you'll see its stubbornness turning into a loyal crystal.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Kslib(m): 5:26pm On Dec 09, 2011
armyofone:

See them, classic!! BFE (Bachelor For Ever) tongue

get a good job and go and marry instead of sleeping inside the kitchen trying to break a common maggie cube.

david, a whole you with plenty nwatas for U.R and my sch your neighbor college still dey do maggi work for inside kitchen, see una.

yeah, na automatic missile we gals dey use break maggi eh, na so e easy reach ba?
tongue tongue

siddon there and use a lifetime learning how to make maggie dissolve in soup and stew.

damn!if u can link maggi to marriage,den i think u deserve the title of"Nairaland Linker Of The Year"!
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by armyofone(m): 5:30pm On Dec 09, 2011

i thought you guys equate marriage to mean automatic free food daily (including the ability to dissolve maggi cube) for the rest of your life.
tongue
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 09, 2011
armyofone:

i thought you guys equate marriage to mean automatic free food daily (including the ability to dissolve maggi cube) for the rest of your life.
tongue

what else does marriage equate to?
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 09, 2011
olaezebala:

na my teeth i de use for the maggic maggi breaking before not until i started feeling some serious pain in my mouth. I now discover a easy way of breaking maggi. Just act like a soldier for few seconds and do the "left , right" movement on the cube then you'll see its stubbornness turning into a loyal crystal.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 09, 2011
LMFAO
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by obowunmi(m): 6:38pm On Dec 09, 2011
olaezebala:

grin grin grin grin grin grin shockedcheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy shockedcheesy cheesy
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nickydrake(m): 6:49pm On Dec 09, 2011
One time I wanted to fry eggs with Maggi star, I had to wrap it in a piece of cloth, place it underneath my car tyres and drove over it to crush the darn thing!

I
prefer knorr cubes. They break into fine powder in your hands

Same thing i use, limestone enter the thing by mistake ne? grin
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 09, 2011
[size=15pt]BLAME GEJ[/size]
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nickydrake(m): 7:00pm On Dec 09, 2011

Haba! if our hand break for just maggi sake you go marry leperous people ne?  grin
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by tonyx4x44(m): 7:04pm On Dec 09, 2011
@nwana you need to see Maggi cubes in my area "hard as rock" is an understatement! I mean the maggi brand
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Basics007: 7:48pm On Dec 09, 2011
This post and the responses are so funny.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2011
After an online research, I've discovered that maggi cubes are hard because the government has refused to deregulate the spice market.

Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by oludy: 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2011
Use powdered seasoning like "Onga". After all, curry, thyme etc come in powder, even salt. cheesy
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by Chubhie: 8:49pm On Dec 09, 2011
Bros tie the Maggi for nylon then pound am small small for mortar. works wella
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by TRACK: 9:00pm On Dec 09, 2011
Honestly the maker of Maggi is insensitive of compepition that is why cooks have to be subjected to this miss. They lack innovation.
@op, you are right even if u have intention to attack the brand. As a marketer myself, i know that is ur aim hence u mentioned another brand name. Not your fault though.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by emonkey(m): 9:54pm On Dec 09, 2011
Basics007:

This post and the responses are so funny.

Not funny bros. In fact I wrote them a letter last year about this , including the fact that it is so difficult to get wrapping off the damn cube, and I have several times cut my finger with a knife while trying to do this, until I stopped using Maggi. They did not reply my letter . Why do this people think customers who complain are mad ?. I can now see that I am not the only sufferer. Thank you good men cheesy cheesy.
Re: Why On Earth Are 'maggi' Cubes So Hard? by muyoto: 11:01pm On Dec 09, 2011
i think it has to do with the prevailing climatic conditions. d

I noticed that during the dry season, the cubes becomes, like OP noted, extremely hard and difficult to break.

but during the rainy season, not only are they usually soft, the cubes may begin to melt even though they've not come in contact with water.

What Is The Normal Position For Soup, Left Or Right? / Would You 'Eat' Ice-cream Or 'Take' Ice-cream? / This Plant Is Called “god’s Gift” As It Can Cure Diseases!