Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,825 members, 7,806,315 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? (3652 Views)

{{{ABUJA} Do You Intend On Buying, Selling, Or Renting A Property In ABUJA? / Renting A Concrete Mixer Truck For 1 Day / I'm Interested In Renting A Mini Flat In Surulere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Seun(m): 10:51am On Sep 28, 2007
Hello Guys,

Is it possible to rent a three bedroom flat, maybe self-contained, with a kitchen, bathroom and toilet, etc for just 2-3 months?

Most landlords in Lagos tend to ask for 2 years deposit before letting any apartment. Are there any exceptions to this rule?

Thanks a million!
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by cream2(m): 11:05am On Sep 28, 2007
there are a few rare landlords that do shortlets but these tend to be more expensive, there are a few near me in Lekki that i know of they are around $100 per day, email me if you are interested.

best thing to do is to find 2-3 agents in the area that you want, give them your requirements/budget and they will go looking for you but remember you probably will need to pay a premium because it will be furnished and all you need to do is move in.

ciao
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Seun(m): 11:12am On Sep 28, 2007
12,700 Naira per day? Wow! shocked What about something under 20k per month in a very cheap location?
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Olusleeky(m): 11:21am On Sep 28, 2007
interesting
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by oluyele(f): 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2007
wow!!!!!! things dey happen ofr naija sha!!!1

Nway for the guy who wants a 2-3 months house lease, u cannot eat ur cake n have it

it is either u go to this face me i face u houses where it is charged per month or u go for the 100dollar a night lodging.

the latter has light, water, boarding minus feeding and utmost convienience.

think about it and make ur choice

wish you the best of everything
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Seun(m): 12:17pm On Sep 28, 2007
Surely there must be something somewhere in-between the two extremes?
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Motee(f): 12:18pm On Sep 28, 2007
of cause Seun it is possible to get, i got one recently for my sister who came from abroad around Ogudu Estate. But it cost about 8,000 for a day but might not be that expensive if you want a lesser one, have been there and quite secured and nice.

Also, check out out this website:
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Motee(f): 12:24pm On Sep 28, 2007
oh sorry, i just realised you said 3 months apartment, the one I just spoke about is a short lease for about a month and not a 3month apartment sort of, I have gotten one before and it cost about N120 for a month and was even from a friend not through an agent, though sophisticated house with everything intact.
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Motee(f): 12:30pm On Sep 28, 2007
Check this website: http://www.makeitnigeria.com/
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Kobojunkie: 12:53pm On Sep 28, 2007
8000 a day Wow, That would come to 240, 000 Naira by the end of the month, WoW , How in the world is 8000 a day cheap??

KoboJunkie
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by tootuch(f): 1:00pm On Sep 28, 2007
all you need to do is to get in touch with an agent in Lagos to get one for you . there are certainly much cheaper apartments than the ones being mentioned.
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by cream2(m): 1:15pm On Sep 28, 2007
there are certainly cheaper apartments but will they come with a/c's, fridges, beds, tv's? - short leases have premiums because everything is there, you just bring your clothes
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Kobojunkie: 1:18pm On Sep 28, 2007
Are Hotels that expensive too?? I mean you can get a short lease or week to week lease here in some motel for Naira 78000 a Month, which is way way less considering we are speaking of the USA in this case and It comes equipped too. So I seriously think charging 240,000 for a month is way way out there.

KoboJunkie
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Motee(f): 1:34pm On Sep 28, 2007
Really, N8,000 is very, very expensive but if you want stuffs like what "cream 2" mentioned below then think along paying some thousands per day and depending on location also.  No landlord will give out their house for 3months except agents who manage such apartments on behalf of them. That also does not mean that you won’t get………,

On a lighter note, by the time you get an apartment which is not yet furnished, you might be surprise to find out how much you will spend to make it comfortable except you are not going to leave there or would not care about how it looks like.  If you have followed Agents to look for houses, you will dread searching a times.  It could be stressful and some of them will even show you houses where ordinarily, a dog can stay.

Good luck anyway.
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Seun(m): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2007
Hmmm. Thanks so much for the links and the tips. Do those houses usually come with generators, too?
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by lakeshore(m): 2:04pm On Sep 28, 2007
Don't know much about estate business, but believe that WHAT YOU SEEK IS WHAT YOU GET!
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by mekoyo(m): 4:03pm On Sep 28, 2007
I dont know o undecided
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by DisGuy: 5:21pm On Sep 28, 2007
why are rents charge annually in Nigeria?

I think people will have more tenants if they rent their house out for tenants to pay monthly with about 3months deposit
Then people will have more choice and the real estate market might even speed up

I think this way people will be able to move out of their parents house earlier cheesy
And new employees wont find have a hard time paying monthly with 3months deposit wink
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Sep 28, 2007
Great idea, I have always wondered why the annual but I guess the landlords figure it is a way to get money in bulk to use in projects or something. Or maybe it is more secure to collect it that way and basically tie the tenant down for that length of time to keep up on business but if you look. I mean I do hope things change in that sector.

Kobojunkie
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by RichyBlacK(m): 5:33pm On Sep 28, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Great idea, I have always wondered [b]why the annual [/b]but I guess the landlords figure it is a way to get money in bulk to use in projects or something. Or maybe it is more secure to collect it that way and basically tie the tenant down for that length of time to keep up on business but if you look. I mean I do hope things change in that sector.

Kobojunkie

I've been thinking about this and it seems it's done because enforcing lease agreements (as is done in the U.S.) in Nigeria can be a nightmare.
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by romeo(m): 5:37pm On Sep 28, 2007
i think they do it because some tenants can be problematic at the end of every month grin
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Kobojunkie: 5:40pm On Sep 28, 2007
They could always do the get the money at the beginning of the month deal though. I understand the stress and the reason but I still believe I would search for an apartment where I can do the monthly biz where I to go back, I sort of prefer it a whole lot.

Kobojunkie
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by DisGuy: 6:17pm On Sep 28, 2007
If it's going to be a problem at the end of the month, they should sign up for direct debit transfer from the tenants cheesy
or the landlord can always take from the 3month or so deposit (with warning)
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Kobojunkie: 6:29pm On Sep 28, 2007
You know what though, Direct Transfer would be great but can you yourself trust any nigerian landlord with your bank information?? I think it is a tricky situation there. I mean most apartments in nigeria, the way I see it are not necessarily run by management companies but by individuals and I do not know if I would trust any of them with my bank detail that way but I do agree that the 3 months seems to be a good idea.

Kobojunkie
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by DisGuy: 6:44pm On Sep 28, 2007
I think the idea will be geared towards middle-higher end of the market,
it might force individual landlords to hand operations of their estate to qualified estate managers
Direct transfer will be set up by the banks, where the 3months deposit will be invested so the
estate mangers don't have access to tenants information

so it will be a win-win-win situation cheesy
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Seun(m): 6:48pm On Sep 28, 2007
The words "force" and "win win" are incompatible. If it's "win win" you don't need "force". wink
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by DisGuy: 6:56pm On Sep 28, 2007
I thought, by using might just before force will make it more pleasing

it will encourage individual landlords. . . . cool
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Seun(m): 11:03pm On Sep 28, 2007
I've been doing some research and you know what? 8,000 naira per day is beginning to look cheap. shocked
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by Shaunscot(m): 12:37am On Sep 29, 2007
Well,u cant get but it would be a tad expensive.
My boss just secured one at Ikoyi and it cost him $250 a day.
That is excliding the agent fees.
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by cotgroup: 10:26am On Sep 29, 2007
great offer if it's not too expensive to pay cos of the short period. i'll encourage this kind of rent u know.
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by mmakara(f): 4:45pm On Sep 29, 2007
bros no b uk u dey nw
Re: Renting A Flat For 2-3 Months? by katherinae(f): 10:35pm On Sep 29, 2007
there are a lot of thiefs in nigeria, 8000 naira a day chai.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Nigerian Real Estate Companies In Abuja, No 10 Will Wow You. / Properties For Sale Ilesa Osun State / How To Calculate The Numbers Of Bags Of Cement In The Foundation Of A Bungalow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.