Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,926 members, 7,799,127 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) (5610 Views)

Frozen Chicken/trukey Being Sold, Halal Or Not? / Enjoying Married Life The Halal Way / Forex Trade: Haram Or Halal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 8:25am On Dec 10, 2011
How halal is the meat in the restaurants and fast food places in Nigeria?

What are the conditions of the animals slaughtered? Are they diseased/ infected ? Are they treated humanely? Is there an authority that looks into the care of animals?

What is the conditions of our Abattoirs?

Somehow, we need to regulate the cleanliness of meat sold in Nigeria.

Is it enough to say the meat market is dominated by muslims so the meat is 'probably' halal? Although we r allowed to eat the food of jews and christians, how many christians mention the name of God before slaughtering? Not Jesus (audhubillah),

"This day, good things have been made lawful for you. And the food of the people of the Book is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them, and good women from among believers, and good women from among those given the Book before you, provided you give them their dowers, binding yourself in marriage, not going for lust, nor having paramours. And whoever rejects Faith, his effort will go waste and, in the Hereafter, he is among the losers." (sura Maida verse 5).

5:3. Forbidden to you (for food) are carrion and blood and swine flesh, [b]and that which has been dedicated to any other than Allah, and the strangled, and the dead through beating, and the dead through falling from a height, and that which has been killed by (the goring of) horns, and the devoured of wild beasts, except that which you make lawful (by the death stroke), and that which has been immolated to idols. [/b]And (forbidden is it) that you swear by the divining arrows. This is an abomination.

In the west, halal meat is certified when it meets the conditions for halal meat. Sometimes, i think we take this for granted,

Salam Aleikum
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 9:44am On Dec 10, 2011
Let's discuss Insha Allah,
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by azharuddin: 11:28am On Dec 10, 2011
Assalamu alaikum.

This is indeed an important topic. But we neglect this often.

A good summary on Animal slaughter in this book-
Islamic Laws of Animal Slaughter by Mufti Taqi Usmani : http://qalifba.com/pdf/islamic_laws_of_animal_slaughter.zip
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 2:42pm On Dec 10, 2011
The butchers are muslim, so check with them i suppose.

Nothing to do with christians.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 3:12pm On Dec 10, 2011
azharuddin:

Assalamu alaikum.

This is indeed an important topic. But we neglect this often.

A good summary on Animal slaughter in this book-
Islamic Laws of Animal Slaughter by Mufti Taqi Usmani : http://qalifba.com/pdf/islamic_laws_of_animal_slaughter.zip

Yes indeed brother!! Thanks for the link,
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 3:15pm On Dec 10, 2011
tpia@:

The butchers are muslim, so check with them i suppose.

The quality(cleanliness) of the meat consumed affects everyone,

When i look at the standards of meat here in the west and compare it to Nigeria, I shudder to think of the health risks we expose ourselves to,
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 3:50pm On Dec 10, 2011
Everything doesnt necessarily have to be compared to the west since some things are relative.

People have been eating meat in nigeria since the dawn of time, and we shouldnt always discount our own practices for no good reason.

Conditions at any slaughterhouse regardless of location, tend not to be appealing.

I assume the meat market in nigeria also has inspectors, standards, regulations, etc.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 7:09pm On Dec 10, 2011
tpia@:

Everything doesnt necessarily have to be compared to the west since some things are relative.

People have been eating meat in nigeria since the dawn of time, and we shouldnt always discount our own practices for no good reason.

Conditions at any slaughterhouse regardless of location, tend not to be appealing.

I assume the meat market in nigeria also has inspectors, standards, regulations, etc.

We can definitely improve some of the practices i think,
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by deols(f): 9:12pm On Dec 10, 2011
tpia@:

The[b] butchers are muslim, [/b]so check with them i suppose.

that is exactly what came to my mind after seeing the topic. In the southwest, most of the butchers are Muslims and even restaurants owned by christians call the so called 'alfas' to do the killing because they are aware of Muslims being choosy of the meat they eat. this is talking the religion aspect of it. but wv regards to cleanliness, we can only hope there are  government  regulations.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 4:45am On Dec 11, 2011
deols:

that is exactly what came to my mind after seeing the topic. In the southwest, most of the butchers are Muslims and even restaurants owned by christians call the so called 'alfas' to do the killing because they are aware of Muslims being choosy of the meat they eat. this is talking the religion aspect of it. but wv regards to cleanliness, we can only hope there are  government  regulations.

Does that happen in every restaurant? How do you know when it doesn't happen?
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by ibrobell(m): 10:30am On Dec 11, 2011
I thought it is said that if one says 'Bismillah Allahu Akbar' the meat is free to eat
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 2:18pm On Dec 11, 2011
Tbaba1234
You might have to become a vegetarian and also stop eating at restaurants if these things worry you too much.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 7:20pm On Dec 11, 2011
tpia@:

Tbaba1234
You might have to become a vegetarian and also stop eating at restaurants if these things worry you too much.

lol
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 7:21pm On Dec 11, 2011
ibrobell:

I thought it is said that if one says 'Bismillah Allahu Akbar' the meat is free to eat

Not if the animal was slaughtered in a name other than God,
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by deols(f): 7:37pm On Dec 11, 2011
tbaba1234:

Does that happen in every restaurant? How do you know when it doesn't happen?

we might av become too comfortable wv d thought that the meat we eat are from the abattoir. What comes to mind are the likes of Mr. Biggs. Also, Zartech(frozen chicken). In these cases, there is no way of knowing o.

But I think we can find a solution by having an Halal agency to certify products before we consume them. I can remember a time when Yale foods was said to be using pork and Muslims stopped buying their biscuits until they made a rebuttal(as i heard) of the claim.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 8:19pm On Dec 11, 2011
Are you people working for boko haram and al quaeda, trying to impose militant islam on others?

If you're not comfortable with eating in the south then why not move to the north- especially the states with militant islamists who i'm sure will welcome you.

Since you feel you know better than the ones who have been practicing islam before you were born?
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 10:06pm On Dec 11, 2011
tpia@:

Are you people working for boko haram and al quaeda, trying to impose militant islam on others?

If you're not comfortable with eating in the south then why not move to the north- especially the states with militant islamists who i'm sure will welcome you.

Since you feel you know better than the ones who have been practicing islam before you were born?

What does this have to do with militancy?? I live in the US and halal meat is certified, It is not a muslim state.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 10:43pm On Dec 11, 2011
^^if you live in the US and your meat is halal certified, then what concerns you with the meat eaten in nigeria?

this is how outsiders cause problems for the people at home.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 11:14pm On Dec 11, 2011
tpia@:

^^if you live in the US and your meat is halal certified, then what concerns you with the meat eaten in nigeria?

this is how outsiders cause problems for the people at home.

I am still Nigerian, I am not an outsider,

What problems? this is just an open thread for people to air their views on a subject,
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 11:18pm On Dec 11, 2011
deols:

we might av become too comfortable wv d thought that the meat we eat are from the abattoir. What comes to mind are the likes of Mr. Biggs. Also, Zartech(frozen chicken). In these cases, there is no way of knowing o.

But I think we can find a solution by having an Halal agency to certify products before we consume them. I can remember a time when Yale foods was said to be using pork and Muslims stopped buying their biscuits until they made a rebuttal(as i heard) of the claim.

That sounds like something that could help with this,
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 11:49pm On Dec 11, 2011
well, you could buy kosher i guess.

same thing.

the agencies certifying kosher meat could just as well team up and do halal also.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 11:54pm On Dec 11, 2011
tpia@:

well, you could buy kosher i guess.

same thing.

the agencies certifying kosher meat could just as well team up and do halal also.

yea; that works too:
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by ibrobell(m): 10:24am On Dec 12, 2011
May Allah guie us then because its not only meat we have to be cautious of eating like i knew few years back that alcohol is an ingredient in cake. And other things we are unaware of.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 10:28am On Dec 12, 2011
alcohol is an ingredient in cake

how so?

unless you're referring to vanilla extract.

or do you mean rum cake.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by ibrobell(m): 10:53am On Dec 12, 2011
as in preservatives. A baker told me actually.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 11:38am On Dec 12, 2011
Its actually very difficult to totally avoid alcohol since its present in varying degrees all over the place.

Some (not all) cakes are made with siginificant amounts of alcohol, while others have virtually none.

In some areas, everything from rice to bread and suya, is cooked with alcohol.

So the question i suppose, is does knowingly or unknowingly ingesting tiny amounts of alcohol in cooked food, mean the same thing as swigging the stuff out of a bottle (or glass).

But i personally wouldnt worry about it.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by ibrobell(m): 12:24pm On Dec 12, 2011
The more reason why i said God should guide us. Some snacks such as Gala are said to contain pork, i dont know how true it is, even suya is said to be already dead animals which is regarded unclean. Does that mean we should only eat what we prepare by ourselves?
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by deols(f): 11:33pm On Dec 12, 2011
tpia@:

o ga o! madam tpia, wat makes u think Islam is only for northern Nigeria and dat it is only practical in the north?? Am a true blooded Yoruba girl and my fore fathers like many others were Muslims. Are u suggesting I move to the north to satisfy your Islamophobia??

wat has alqaeda got to do wv deciding on wat u want to eat and wat u want not. Are u too scared of muslims practicing their religion the right way

Anyways, since ur comment, as almost all d time, sounds out of ignorance, am compelled to spend a little time explaining some things.

Our fore fathers were aware of what is prohibited in Islam and that is d reason why as mentioned above, even restaurants owned by christians would employ muslims to do the killing of their goats(ogunfe) so as not to send Muslim customers away. that has become d norm to an extent it seems d profession is for Muslims.

to stamp certain products halal is just like the way nutritional facts are always glaring on products(at least from developed nations) so that every customer is aware of what they are consuming. I av seen halal glaring on products from non-muslim nations. Such pple are not bigoted, like u. they are out to make sales and making it clear that it is something Islam allows should not deprive them of that.

@ op, such an agency i'd really like established. Any income generated from endorsing products can be spent on Islamic developmental projects.

1 Like

Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 1:06am On Dec 13, 2011
^^you're the islamophobe on this thread, so please save your theatrics for those who will be moved by it. undecided
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tpia5: 1:12am On Dec 13, 2011
The more reason why i said God should guide us. Some snacks such as Gala are said to contain pork, i dont know how true it is, even suya is said to be already dead animals which is regarded unclean. Does that mean we should only eat what we prepare by ourselves?

imo, anyone who is a bit squeamish and cautious about eating outside, should eat only food they personally prepared, in order to save themselves a lot of worry.

i really dont know any tried and tested answer to these things besides not eating whatever you dont like.
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by tbaba1234: 11:45pm On Dec 13, 2011
deols:

@ op, such an agency i'd really like established. Any income generated from endorsing products can be spent on Islamic developmental projects.

I hope it is something, people start looking towards doing;
Re: How Halal Is Our Meat? (Discuss) by Nobody: 11:57pm On Dec 13, 2011
tpia tpia tpia grin grin
Jazakallahu khairan tbaba1234.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Happy Hijrah (Islamic New Year) to all Muslims!!! / Ruling On Text Messages On Special Occasions / Sultan Urges Muslims To Look For New Moon,Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.