Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,774 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi (8847 Views)

My Experience With Eating Tortoise For The First Time / Funny Cooking Blunders; Share Your Experience / Please Teach Me How To Make Mai-shayi's Indomie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by lolaluv1(f): 9:33pm On Dec 10, 2011
The weather over here in the North is so cold and harsh. This is the time most people (especially business okadas and taxi drivers) pay visits to reputable 'Mai Shayis'. Remember? The Hausa guys who make tea for sale??

As a corper, I used to buy buttered 'Agege bread' from them, especially when I had a lot of mouths to feed/ when we were doing communal feeding. I never bought tea from them sha, but I've seen how thick and hotly inviting their tea could be!

They also make these delicious looking indomie mixed with fried eggs (though I've only seen it, not tasted it).

What's your experience with them??
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by mobf: 10:06pm On Dec 10, 2011
A regular back then when i was in boarding school, you just couldn't miss an early cup of shayi for anything. You'd even have eggs fried for you or get the bread buttered with blueband margarine if you could afford it. Man don survive things sha! especially when you consider that most mai shayis are not conscious of the health implications of their lack of hygiene.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by MissyB3(f): 10:35pm On Dec 10, 2011
I've never taken ''tea'' from them for the purpose of hygiene.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by mobf: 10:39pm On Dec 10, 2011
^^ can't say if you missed out undecided
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by tpia5: 2:28pm On Dec 11, 2011
I usually had those at home so i also didnt buy them from the mallams.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by tpia5: 2:29pm On Dec 11, 2011
But nothing like fresh bread with butter sha.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by olyivy(f): 11:22am On Dec 12, 2011
tufiakwa!

mai gini? "Pukes!"
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by victorazy(m): 11:23am On Dec 12, 2011
These dirty pigs. I dey here with them with flys everywhere . They can never sweep, they can never wash that hand they used washing that yash after urinating, infact life here is worrisome.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by BIGERBOY1: 11:36am On Dec 12, 2011
Guys stop playing associate ajebutta. Ok stop eaten the akara from the akara seller, or infact the suya from mai suya. Give us a break please.

I used to luv those shayi days because u have the choice of determining how thin or thick u want it brewed, and it has this natural ginger they use u can't get from any ginger tea. smiley

By the way those talking of hygene, although it's a point, but u guys cant embark on food tourism. U should see how the street foods of bankok in Thailand or the famous street scorpions of beijing in china, trust me at first I also stayed back from eaten those when I was there until I saw my Europeans friends rushing these street foods, and trust me those foods really taste better than restaurants.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by snthesis(m): 11:42am On Dec 12, 2011
i never took tea from d mai shayis- health sturvs.
but our fav pastime after scaling fence cool was Shai Burger- toasted fried bread egg
and for the big boiz- "super shai burger"- Egg suya and toasted fried bread
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by mkmyers45(m): 11:52am On Dec 12, 2011
Well, when i was school, i was a regular customer and yes they save time and yes they may not be soo clean (Depends) but mean those guys are helping
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by tpia5: 12:03pm On Dec 12, 2011
I dont think anyone is playing ajebutter here and i in particular am certainly not one.

But i never bought tea from the mallams simply because i made it at home.

In fact, when growing up i áctually wasnt aware the mallam could boil the tea and even fry egg on request. I only purchased the tea bags and anything else i needed like tinned milk, etc, on the occasions when i was their customer. And i think most stands i knew, were manned by local residents anyway. The mallams handled the suya.

But i later heard about the mai shayi hot tea with bread and butter, from others who had tried it.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by baslone: 12:23pm On Dec 12, 2011
Guys stop playing associate ajebutta. Ok stop eaten the akara from the akara seller, or infact the suya from mai suya. Give us a break please.

grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by begwong: 12:28pm On Dec 12, 2011
[color=#000099][b]had this xperience at one of the :"mai-shayi"s spot:
After he had served me,a fulani man came and sat by and seeing that mine foamed because mai shayi used 2cups to make it less hot.The fulani man upon sighting mine instructed mai-shayi in Hausa,[color=#990000]"Aboki zuba mani shayi nima ama ban da OMO"
(meaning to give him his own tea(shayi)without an OMO(detergent) referring to the foam of my tea as OMO)[/color[/b][/color]] grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by shadrach77: 1:00pm On Dec 12, 2011
@ poster - beware of cholera! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by DrummaBoy(m): 1:43pm On Dec 12, 2011
Shayi!
chai!!
*salivating*
if U aint tasted it, U aint tasted anything yet
Shayi, is the life
Try it!!!
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by mobf: 1:55pm On Dec 12, 2011
victorazy:

These dirty pigs. I dey here with them with flys everywhere . They can never sweep, they can never wash that hand they used washing that yash after urinating, infact life here is worrisome.
is this necessary? calling them pigs.smh
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by spartanian(m): 2:14pm On Dec 12, 2011
am their customer esspecially indomie eating
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by lagcity(m): 2:16pm On Dec 12, 2011
i used to sneak out thru broken fence at boarding school to visit mai shai. i cant believe i'm still alive after all the cholera food i've eaten.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by BigMeat2: 2:18pm On Dec 12, 2011
they are proper fast food vendors with their ingenuity,
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by reinedamse: 3:07pm On Dec 12, 2011
well, dad took me there once on our way to abuja and i totally enjoyed it tongue
shadrach77:

@ poster - beware of cholera! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Cholera koo, malaria nii grin.Tell me wat is pure in this country? even our so-called fast foods serve rotten foods sometimes.(once found flies in my food at tantalizers).
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by nagoma(m): 3:36pm On Dec 12, 2011
They have their market share and they do a good job. That's why some of us can survive on one dollar a day.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by tpia5: 3:58pm On Dec 12, 2011
Can you get cholera from hot tea?

Wouldnt the boiling water kill the germs.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by freecocoa(f): 4:30pm On Dec 12, 2011
Never drank their tea but used to buy bread from them once in awhile,I remember one time I went to buy bread from the one close to my house,a man was drinking tea there and was dipping the bread inside the tea,the mai sayi just kinda yelled at him saying"stop am por that thing,I no know say na only billage aboki fifle dey fut breadi por tea"I couldn't help but lmao. An aboki calling his kinsmen, "village aboki people".
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by dayokanu(m): 4:34pm On Dec 12, 2011
You are worried about hygiene and you still eat Suya? Do you know how flies have conventions on those meats?
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by wesley80(m): 4:48pm On Dec 12, 2011
freecocoa:

Never drank their tea but used to buy bread from them once in awhile,I remember one time I went to buy bread from the one close to my house,a man was drinking tea there and was dipping the bread inside the tea,the mai sayi just kinda yelled at him saying"stop am por that thing,I no know say na only billage aboki fifle dey fut breadi por tea"I couldn't help but lmao. An aboki calling his kinsmen, "village aboki people".

LMAO!!!
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by DoubleN(m): 5:28pm On Dec 12, 2011
Mai Shai!!! The Bachelor's best friend. grin . These guys really helped me back in days with the Suya, Fried Egg and Bread Combo! Kai !!!. Never drank the tea though, cos the idea of driking stuff from shared cups put me off.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by ceejayluv(m): 6:02pm On Dec 12, 2011
Back then in boardin skl in FGC, lagos i actually used to scale d fence wit my guyz most times just to Savour the Masterpiece snack of Mai Shayi. It was a status symbol.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by Nymphnode(m): 7:22pm On Dec 12, 2011
tpia@:

Can you get cholera from hot tea?

Wouldnt the boiling water kill the germs.

Maybe there are new germs that can survive boiling water. grin . I used to drink the tea once in a while up north while schooling and the bread and egg almost all morning on my way to the office. 2 eggs and 40 naira bread = 110. I stopped when I started having laboured breathing due to excess cholesterol.
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by Knight1(m): 7:42pm On Dec 12, 2011
i have taken the tea once.
During the Abacha days (i think) we went to queue for fuel early in the morning, see fresh bread and sweeeeeeeeeeeet but very watery tea.

the fried egg hapned once in skl days. left skl so late me and my roomie bought bread, no kose/akara, and then i thought, how about this mai shayi's egg, it was a really good decision cool cool cool
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by Odunnu: 8:46pm On Dec 12, 2011
I dont eat any kinda bread since my childhood days and I dont drink tea- fact! I never had any desire for dem mai- shayi"s
Re: Share Your Experience With Mai Shayi by lagcity(m): 9:00pm On Dec 12, 2011
ceejayluv:

Back then in boardin skl in FGC, lagos i actually used to scale d fence wit my guyz most times just to Savour the Masterpiece snack of Mai Shayi. It was a status symbol.

yeah, i used to do that too. and when u jam a senior student for mai shayi place, senior go try do gra gra and take ya money even though him sef dey break school laws by jumping fence. criminal dey chance criminal grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Weird/Disgusting Things Have You Found In Your Food? / Buyers needed for L-LYSINE, DL-METHIONINE, FISHMEAL At Best Prices / NAFDAC Shuts 47 Bakeries, Water Factories In Maiduguri During Routine Inspection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.