Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,082 members, 7,807,237 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths (9935 Views)

"Northern Youths" Threaten To "Extinguish" AIT If Buhari Doesn't Win (Letter) / 2015: Northern Youths Vow To Mobilise Support For Jonathan / Boko Haram's Protest Is For Social Injustice - Yuguda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Chyz2: 12:38am On Dec 11, 2011
[size=15pt]OPC protest unnecessary –Northern youths, Ezeife, others[/size]
•It’s in order –Osoba

By WILY EYA and OMONIYI SALAUDEEN

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Diverse interest groups in the country have reacted to Thursday’s anti-Boko Haram protest in Lagos by the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) against any violent attack on the Southwest region.
Tthe group led by its founder, Fredrick Fasehun, took to the streets with gun-wielding youths calling on the dreaded Boko Haram to steer clear of the region.

But president of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, Alhaji Shetiima Yerima, in an interview with Sunday Sun, said the act of the OPC was unnecessary, as it was capable of heightening the tension in the country.
According to him, the group should have made its position on the threatening security challenge known to the government rather than organizing a protest that could be hijacked by unscrupulous elements in the society to perpetrate their criminal activities.

His words: “I do not know exactly what informed the protest. But for me, the protest was unnecessary because already there is tension in the country. Besides, we all know that that some people have been taken undue advantage of the Boko Haram to perpetrate their criminal acts. I think what they have done was to make their position on the security situation in the country known to the government rather than taking to the street and causing more tension in the land.”

The aftermath of the protest, he noted, was already causing apprehension within the Hausa communities in Lagos.
“Since they staged the protest, I have been inundated with several calls from northern leaders expressing worries over the safety of Hausa communities in the South West. But because of our good relationship with OPC, I have spoken extensively with Dr. Fredrick Fasehun and he assured me that the intension was not to attack any tribe in the region.”
Speaking in the same vein, a former governor of old Anambra State, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife, said though the protest was not out of place, it could heighten tension in the land.

“Everybody is on the edge because of the attitude of Boko Haram . So, I don’t blame anybody for coming out loud to issue such a warning threat, especially when you have evidence of possibility of their coming to attack people in the South West. The only thing is that it could heighten fear among the people when you hear such warning. To that extent, it is dangerous. But I am sure; they are not reacting for nothing. When you see people who are not wishing you well, you have to warn them from a reasonable distance not to move near you.”

On his part, Secretary-General of Aka Ikenga, an Igbo socio-cultural group, Goddy Uwazuruike, described as treasonable any action that is capable of undermining national security.
“The OPC has a right of assembly and right of holding views. But if there is violence and threat to national security, it is treason. Boko Haram carrying out violence and threatening national security is treasonable. Nobody has a right to unlawfully carry arms in Nigeria and I do not support that even if everybody or group has a right to assembly and free speech.”

However, former Ogun State Governor, Segun Osoba, expressing a divergent view, argued that there was nothing wrong in what the OPC did to protect the interest of the Yoruba.
“They were merely exercising their rights to protect their community. In Yoruba, every family has members of Islamic faith and Christians. So, turning religious issue to violence is unacceptable in Yoruba land. Government should find way of talking to them as they did to the militants. And, of course, government has a lot of channels through which it can solve the problem,” he said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/dec/11/national-11-12-2011-008.html
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Chyz2: 12:49am On Dec 11, 2011
lol grin
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by jason123: 1:03am On Dec 11, 2011
shocked
Southerners and traitors. May God save us from ourselves.
All I'll say is, OPC n MEND, be very careful!
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by seanet02: 1:10am On Dec 11, 2011
What concerns agbero with overload self? Why is ibos always  poke-nosing into Yoruba affairs? ezeife STFU. ediot
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Chyz2: 1:20am On Dec 11, 2011
jason123:

shocked
Southerners and traitors. May God save us from ourselves.
All I'll say is, OPC n MEND, be very careful!
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by kasiem(m): 1:21am On Dec 11, 2011
seanet02:

What concerns agbero with overload self? Why is ibos always  poke-nosing into Yoruba affairs? ezeife STFU. ediot
abeg, follow ur baba commit suicide. U think say bombs na dis charms wey una dey wear up and down?
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by jason123: 1:25am On Dec 11, 2011
Chyz*:

. . . and why the correction?
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by AndreUweh(m): 1:26am On Dec 11, 2011
seanet02:

What concerns agbero with overload self? Why is ibos always  poke-nosing into Yoruba affairs? ezeife STFU. ediot
Lil boy, Northern youths also kicked against the demnstration but you just like your fellows are too scared of the north.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by seanet02: 1:32am On Dec 11, 2011
Igbos
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by EkoIle1: 1:44am On Dec 11, 2011
I guess the mofos up North got the message,

Talk about don't start shitttttt and ain't nothing gonna happen.

I dig OPC for real

lmao
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by jason123: 1:45am On Dec 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

I guess the mofos up North got the message,

Talk about don't start shitttttt and ain't nothing gonna happen.

I dig OPC for real

lmao

How are they "mofos"?? Too much mouth-mouth!
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by EkoIle1: 1:51am On Dec 11, 2011
jason123:

How are they "mofos"?? Too much mouth-mouth!

I'm not interested in any meaningless back n forth convo today, try me some other time. Today is strictly a fun day.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by kasiem(m): 2:03am On Dec 11, 2011
The hausas are stil enjoying life in SW oo, and i hear say bomb drop for jos today, so wetin opc dey for? Another ojukwu to start the war? The igbos dey play d watching this time.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by koruji(m): 2:31am On Dec 11, 2011
The following quotes say it all:
First, the president of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, Alhaji Shetiima Yerima was quick on "duty" on this one: “Since they staged the protest, I have been inundated with several calls from northern leaders expressing worries over the safety of Hausa communities in the South West. But because of our good relationship with OPC, I have spoken extensively with Dr. Fredrick Fasehun and he assured me that the intension was not to attack any tribe in the region.”

Look how long it took ACF to even make a statement on Boko Haram. When they finally held their jamborie their useless speeches consisted of: 1) There is no easy option to containing violence in the north (VP, Sambo); 2) Boko Haram are rebels who want change (former Presidential candidate Ribadu); and worst of all 3) A call to ban the Christian Association of Nigeria and a threat to create the Muslim Association of Nigeria (former Minister Jibril Aminu). Do these statements look like any of these people were concerned about the "tension" Boko Haram is raising in the land? May be they are afraid to speak against BH openly - if so, they should have simply refrain from calling a meeting that makes them appear insensitive to the damange BH is doing to the nation as a whole.

See how fast the ACF is sitting up even though the only demand by OPC is that Boko Haram keep off the SW - non-SW'ers were not threatened in any way. If ACF could organize its own vigilante to contain BH up north, like OPC is wanting to do, we will not be here at all. BH is in your midst - deal with them. The leaders of the north should have been inudated by calls over BH, and protests in one city after the other right from the start not when OPC is trying to prevent potential danger.

Speaking in the same vein, a former governor of old Anambra State, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife, said though the protest was not out of place, it could heighten tension in the land. The bolded portion of Ezeife's statement below provides the reason why OPC is making its warning loud and clear.
“Everybody is on the edge because of the attitude of Boko Haram . So, I don’t blame anybody for coming out loud to issue such a warning threat, especially when you have evidence of possibility of their coming to attack people in the South West. The only thing is that it could heighten fear among the people when you hear such warning. To that extent, it is dangerous. But I am sure; they are not reacting for nothing. When you see people who are not wishing you well, you have to warn them from a reasonable distance not to move near you.”
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by EkoIle1: 2:42am On Dec 11, 2011
The protest was indeed a huge success, they basically killed 2 birds with one stone.

1. The Northern clowns got the message and they are responding fast and positively.

2. They put extra pressure on the government to get off their a//s//s do something about BH.

It just feels good to know you have serious and extra protection on the side.

OPC is the truth. lol
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Obiagu1(m): 3:09am On Dec 11, 2011
I like this OPC protest because Northerners will know they are alone this time. If war starts tomorrow, which seems inevitable, SW and MB won't join them again againts Easterners.
Northerners that are complaining should STFU and fight BH that are living amongst them.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Afam4eva(m): 2:37pm On Dec 11, 2011
What OPC did can be considered an act of war and not a protest. You protest with placards and not guns and knife. They've called for war and should be ready for any eventuality.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 11, 2011
If all BokoHaram does is match on the street, we will all be smilling right now.

May be Northern Youths need to channel their criticism to the right source.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by EkoIle1: 3:02pm On Dec 11, 2011
afam4eva:

What OPC did can be considered an act of war and not a protest. You protest with placards and not guns and knife. They've called for war and should be ready for any eventuality.

Do you even know the meaning of Act Of War?

Who was it declared against? You? BH or The Federal government of Nigeria?

And who is we or who should be ready? You? Are you BH?
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by ektbear: 9:34pm On Dec 11, 2011
Up OPC

Well said Osoba

Down North, this Ezeife fella

Latter two can go F themselves
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by NegroNtns(m): 10:16pm On Dec 11, 2011

This is not some rascal MASSOB,we have no room for placards and highway protest in the West. OPC is protecting peopel's rights. If you call it war then by GOD so be it, war it is!!

lmao@ ekt_bear's comments on the latter two.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Relax101(m): 10:41pm On Dec 11, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

This is not some[b] rascal MASSOB[/b],we have no room for placards and highway protest in the West. OPC is protecting peopel's rights. If you call it war then by GOD so be it, war it is!!

lmao@ ekt_bear's comments on the latter two.

Massob cant be rascals.

Massob has threatened the FG in 99 we all know Obasanjo decided to carry out a full military action in Aba.
Did Massob run away? NO!
Did the military give way? YES!
Massob is no push over. They have caves in Ebonyi where the miliatry carried out another round of action.
Did Massob retaliate? YES!
Did the military get tired? YES!
Massob only went under because Ojukwu gave an instruction. No Violence. And they obeyed!
You cant be carrying cutlass round Lagos saying you want to stop or protest against Boko Haram.
It doesn't pass any message but foolishness on whoever conceived the idea.
So please shut yourself and face the oncoming onslaught.
Do not stay on your computer and scream nonsense when there is thick black smoke soon.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by wellmax(m): 11:26pm On Dec 11, 2011
^^^^
See mumu ranting.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Abagworo(m): 11:51pm On Dec 11, 2011
What I read on Nairaland makes me wonder when the Black man will eventually gain independence from external and internal colonialism. The OPC people are fools like most Nairalanders. How are we sure that some Yorubas are not in Boko Haram? Boko Haram in itself seems not more of Hausa but more of people from minority tribes in the Northeast zone of the country. So if Boko Haram bombs Lagos then OPC will start killing Hausas and other Northern minorities. Very poor thinking.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by wellmax(m): 12:01am On Dec 12, 2011
I had to quickly re-read their speech to know where they opinied that they will start killing northerners should BH strike SW. But as your myopic mind is conditioned to reason, I'll let you wallow in foolishness and self agradisement. OPC, as much as I am not their fan, simply made a statement and warning and their warning was loud and clear.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by NegroNtns(m): 12:02am On Dec 12, 2011
So if Boko Haram bombs Lagos then OPC will start killing Hausas and other Northern minorities. Very poor thinking

You dont get it do you?  Nobody has birthright to unwarranted killing and freelance massacre of people just bcause they are different from you.  

Boko Haram attack anywhere on Yorubaland, there will be reprisal killigs.  If Hausas in Yorubaland cherish their lives then thy need to put pressure on Boko to steer clear of West.  We have endured sporadic killings targeted at Igbos but  in which Yorubas ended up as collaterals on their soil.

This is our soil we are protecting, they will never kill us on our soil and get away with it.  Never ever!!!  That's the message the human rights group, OPC is sending out.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by wellmax(m): 12:05am On Dec 12, 2011
^^^^
Gbam! Thank you.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by NegroNtns(m): 12:11am On Dec 12, 2011
When it comes to political rivalry within our own Nation and on our own soil we have never been known to act timidly, much as we love the Hausas and consider them kins, we will give them same treatmet with which Yoruba brothers treat one another across a political divide and factions.  Boko Haram is not on the same political side that West is on.  If they venture onto our land Northerers will be forever sorry.  

Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by Chyz2: 12:17am On Dec 12, 2011
^^^lol  grin

Classic!
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by aspabay(m): 12:39am On Dec 12, 2011
wellmax:

I had to quickly re-read their speech to know where they opinied that they will start killing northerners should BH strike SW. But as your myopic mind is conditioned to reason, I'll let you wallow in foolishness and self agradisement. OPC, as much as I am not their fan, simply made a statement and warning and their warning was loud and clear.
Please tell them.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by koruji(m): 12:51am On Dec 12, 2011
Nobody cares who makes up Boko Haram - although we all know. What Northerners need to do is stamp out BH before they completely turn your region into Afghanistan. The training camp their leader set up way before the 2009 uprising was named "Afghanistan". That is what they are planning to turn the north and possibly Nigerian into.

The OPC's warning is for BH to keep its agenda in a region where the leaders seems to be fine and dandy with blowing up innocent people, attacking churches, killing policemen en masse, etc. [size=14pt]The SW WANTS AND NEEDS NONE OF IT.[/size]

Abagworo:

What I read on Nairaland makes me wonder when the Black man will eventually gain independence from external and internal colonialism. The OPC people are fools like most Nairalanders. How are we sure that some Yorubas are not in Boko Haram? Boko Haram in itself seems not more of Hausa but more of people from minority tribes in the Northeast zone of the country. So if Boko Haram bombs Lagos then OPC will start killing Hausas and other Northern minorities. Very poor thinking.
Re: OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths by NegroNtns(m): 1:12am On Dec 12, 2011
The OPC's warning is for BH to keep its agenda in a region where the leaders seems to be fine and dandy with blowing up innocent people, attacking churches, killing policemen en masse, etc. The SW WANTS AND NEEDS NONE OF IT

Koruji, thank you for stressing that point! It is not our business what the government or the North decide for Boko Haram, but it is sure our d a m n business and priority in the West what the outcome will be if Boko cross the border ad unleash terror on our soil. It does not have to be a Yoruba blood, it could be Ibo blood, Hausa blood, minority blood. . . . it is not about the identity of the victim, it is the insult of the territorial violation, period! If the investigation proves that Boko is the culprit or if they come out as is their tradition to claim responsibility, it will be on!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Delta: Tribunal Sacks Reps Member Waive (APC), Affirms Pdp's Ahwinahwi / Live Debate On Fuel Subsidy Removal On Channels Tv At 8pm / Biafra Group Sues FG Over Abandoned Property And Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.