Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,380 members, 7,808,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

Question For The Engineers Please - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Question For The Engineers Please (857 Views)

Wow!!! The Made In Naija Mini Bus By Unizik Engineers, Looking Better Than Ever / Car Engineers Please Help (siena & Others: ) / Sienna, A Question For You, Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question For The Engineers Please by pato405(m): 10:36am On Dec 11, 2011
Hello Mech/Auto engineers on the forum

Please I wish to know the difference between a steering wheel and a steering rack. I am tempted to purchase an eye catching Toyota Avensis 2003 from the UK. The owner admits it has a bad steering wheel. since I will explore the possibilities of converting it from RHD to LHD in Nigeria, I am of the assumption that the bad steering wheel may not mean much becuase the steering rack will be removed and replace with an LHD steering rack (but that if steering rack is synonymous with steering rack - I really dont know as I know next to nothing in auto-mechnics) Please I need clarifications before I dabble foolishly into a financially sabotaging mission.
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by Ikenna351(m): 4:53pm On Dec 11, 2011
Steering wheel is that round thing facing the driver, the driver turns to steer away from object or change lane while driving.

The steering rack, on the other hand, is in the engine bay. It has a pinion inside. If its PAS (power assisted steering), the rack will be attached with pipes from PAS pump, Ram & PAS ATF reservoir or container. The steering shaft passes thought the Rack, that leads to & turns or steers the front 2 wheels.

Ikenna.
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by pato405(m): 5:10pm On Dec 11, 2011
thanks Ikenna. At least you have been able to clarify what a steering wheel is clearly (i.e also known literally in common parlance as 'steering' grin grin grin). however, you RAM, ATF etc all sound too complicated undecided undecided undecided. it's ok sha. i understand i'm not in an MEE class so, i may never understand the ATF RAMS e.t.c

thanks all the same - i get the picture you are painting.
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by Ikenna351(m): 5:27pm On Dec 11, 2011
ATF: Automatic Transmission Fluid.

PAS (Power assisted steering) uses the same fluid for automatic transmission (automatic gear).

RAM: It looks like shock absober attached to the steering shaft, in the engine bay, under the bell housing or gear box, as the case maybe. It absorbs shocks & prevents it from getting to the steering wheel (aka steering, like we call it here), among other functions.

Ikenna.
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by Engrr(m): 12:51am On Dec 12, 2011
Hi Pato
Ikenna is just parading terminologies that is not important here. if the car is a right-hand drive that you need to convert here, Then there is no problem if the car's fault is just steering rack because you will need to change it to convert the car to a left-hand drive. So go ahead and buy the car and look for steering rack / steering box for a right handed avensis. Good luck!
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by pato405(m): 12:57am On Dec 12, 2011
@Engrr: hehehehehe grin grin grin grin. thnks.

the technician is suggesting that I cut the dashbord since he cannot sort the dashbord easily. I'm a lil bit reluctant to resort to his suggestions. just wondering if he's going to mask the cut edges with super glue or cello-tapes. sad sad sad sad
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by Nobody: 1:02am On Dec 12, 2011
Engrr:

Hi Pato
Ikenna is just parading terminologies that is not important here. if the car is a right-hand drive that you need to convert here, Then there is no problem if the car's fault is just steering rack because you will need to change it to  convert the car to a left-hand drive.  So go ahead and buy the car and look for steering rack / steering box for a right handed avensis. Good luck!

Buying a LHD steering rack is all well and good, but you fail to mention what else he needs for the conversion.

@ Pato405: I would tread with caution. Unless you've located a source of Toyota Avensis LHD parts, I would leave that RHD car that seems so appealing well alone.
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by Nobody: 1:06am On Dec 12, 2011
pato405:

@Engrr: hehehehehe grin grin grin grin. thnks.

the technician is suggesting that I cut the dashbord since he cannot sort the dashbord easily. I'm a lil bit reluctant to resort to his suggestions. just wondering if he's going to mask the cut edges with super glue or cello-tapes. sad sad sad sad

As per the other thread you posted in, I'll tell you once more: The bulkhead is a structural part of the car. The Avensis bulkhead is not universal for LHD and RHD, to convert it safely, a LHD bulkhead is required. Beating a RHD bulkhead into shape, and cutting it up is unsafe, and not adviced under any circumstance.

It's your call, I can only advice, you'll be the one behind the wheel afterall, not me.
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by pato405(m): 1:13am On Dec 12, 2011
@Sienna: thanks - U understand my fears perfectly. A friend who saw the car has equally advised me not to mutilate the car by carelessly dabbling into the hands of our Alaba technicians masquerading as engineers. they are so hungry to start butchering the car without mercy. I'm afraid I may just have to let the car be 'cos I'v heard so many sad stories.

I'm really grateful for your contributions. if I hadn't asked, I just wonder what stories I may be left to narrate after 'cut and paste' engineers are done with my car.  embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by Engrr(m): 1:15am On Dec 12, 2011
The major thing that is needed to convert a RHD car to LHD is the steering box and the dash board and probably the front window buttons the technician can help with other small accessories. Currently I use 2004 Toyota Mark II Japan model that was converted! I can assure you that If it is 2003 Avensis as u said, the parts are available!
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by Nobody: 1:38am On Dec 12, 2011
Engrr:

The major thing that is needed to convert a RHD car to LHD is the steering box and the dash board and probably the front window buttons the technician can help with other small accessories. Currently I use 2004 Toyota Mark II Japan model that was converted! I can assure you that If it is 2003 Avensis as u said, the parts are available!

The parts you've mentioned are just the obvious, even to a non-technical person. Parts required are:

01) Steering rack.
02) Dashboard, including lower fittings and glovebox.
03) Centre console.
04) Steering column (different for LHD and RHD cars).
05) Pedal box (different for LHD and RHD cars).
06) HVAC (heater and aircon) assembly behind dash, spans the width of the bulkhead.
07) Power assisted steering high-pressure line (different for LHD and RHD cars).
08) Wiper motor / mechanism with wiper arms (different for LHD and RHD cars).
09) Aircon expansion valve and pipes (different for LHD and RHD cars).
10) Aircon evaporator (different for LHD and RHD cars).
11) Brake servo (different for LHD and RHD cars).
12) Bulkhead (different for LHD and RHD cars).

I haven't bothered listing little things like the front door cards and the electric window switch panel, the bonnet release as these are minor details.

However, the brake servo, steering column and pedal box ARE seriously safety related. RHD parts should not be modified to fit, under any circumstance. And the bulkhead needs to be replaced with a LHD item. It is shaped differently, and will not accept LHD parts. I'm aware the cheap and nasty way is to take a massive hammer, and hash it into shape, so the brake servo will actually sort of fit, bend the pedal box, weld bracket onto the RHD pedal box, and generally botch the bulkheah by cutting it up, welding brackets here and there to hold LHD components, or "modified" RHD parts.

All this will be hidden by the dash, and the owner will be none the wiser. The car will never be right, and God forbid such a car is involved in a smash, the outcome doesn't bear thinking about.

Why would anyone put their lives on the line, with such a cheap, cost-cutting conversion? Good luck!
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by pato405(m): 1:45am On Dec 12, 2011
@ Sienna: after this elaborate list, I just lost all enthusiasm. sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Question For The Engineers Please by Ikenna351(m): 8:10pm On Dec 12, 2011
Who be dis Engrr sef? Whats is your problem? The poster asked to know the difference between a steering wheel, rack & ram, which i did. Why then is it a problem for you? Your words that am "parading terminologies that is not important here" is very unfair. What is wrong in explaining to a starter how a part in a car looks like & its function? I tire o!

Ikenna.

(1) (Reply)

Micostar Mall Best And Safest Place To Order Items From Overseas To Nigeria / 2000 Toyota Camry With Pictures For Sale / Reg Honda Babyboy 2000 Quick Sale sold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.