Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 (1657 Views)

List Of Female Muslim Names And Their Meanings / Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" / Nigerian Wins Top Prize for Quran Completion in Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 1:37pm On Dec 11, 2011
Tawakkol Karman will be the youngest person to receive the prize

Nobel Peace Prize winners Tawakkol Karman of Yemen, left, Liberian peace activist Leymah Gbowee, center, and Liberian president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf display their diplomas and medals at City Hall in in Oslo, Norway Saturday Dec. 10, 2011. The peace prize committee awarded the prize to Karman, Johnson-Sirleaf and Gbowee for championing women's rights in regions where oppression is common and helping women participate in peace-building., (AP Photo/John McConnico)

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/world-events-1316137200-slideshow/nobel-peace-prize-winners-tawakkol-karman-yemen-left-photo-125455527.html
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 1:37pm On Dec 11, 2011

Journalists asked Tawakkol Karman with suprise whether she does not see her mode of dressing as something which contradicts her education and intellectual level as the hijab is viewed as oppression of women and backwardness.

Karman answered them with very simplistic and wise words:

[size=14pt]"The human being in early times was almost na.ked.With the development of his thought over time he began to wear clothes.What I am today and what I wear Is the height of intellect and sophistication reached by man through the ages, not backwardness.Unclothedness is a sign of backwardness and human thinking going back to early times".[/size]
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 2:21pm On Dec 11, 2011
Where is she from?

For some people, hijab is part of their culture.

Besides, shouldnt you congratulate her on winning the nobel, instead of focusing on the hijab alone. What did she do, etc.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 3:25pm On Dec 11, 2011
tpia@:

Where is she from?

she is from yemen.

For some people, hijab is part of their culture.
I am talking about her as the Muslim woman she is and this is what she said:

"The human being in early times was almost na.ked.With the development of his thought over time he began to wear clothes.What I am today and what I wear Is the height of intellect and sophistication reached by man through the ages, not backwardness.Unclothedness is a sign of backwardness and human thinking going back to early times"-Tawakkol Karman

i am talking about the hijab on nairaland because some lost souls have used it to attack Islam and provoke muslims.

Besides, shouldnt you congratulate her on winning the nobel, instead of focusing on the hijab alone. What did she do, etc.

if i am not happy for her,i would not have paid attention to her.i do definitely congratulate her.and i am also proud and happy for her.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 9:04pm On Dec 11, 2011
Hopefully someday you'll take a break from this constant whining over irrelevancies. Now it's hijab, next it's the meat is not halal, tomorrow it will be why are the men not growing beards, another day it will be something else.

Abeg who has time for goodness sake.

I think its high time i stopped posting in this section.

If nobel decides to award their prize to the most anti-islamic person you can think of next year, or the top idol worshipper in the world, i wonder if you'll still come and post that here.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by tpia5: 10:40pm On Dec 11, 2011
the woman is wearing hijab, the african women are wearing gele.

what part of cultural attire do you not get?

and why are you so fascinated with female attire anyway.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Araboy(m): 11:58am On Dec 12, 2011
I agree that hijab in middle east is a part of their culture more than an Islamic dressing  code even a  non practicing

muslimah or an ashawo     can still  be wearing hijab 

Shia  consider hijab a sign of chastity and focus too much on the folkloric  side like hijab  and beard  instead of 

more substantial matters I think the lady might have given  a better image of Muslims  if she was dressed in  western

attire
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by vedaxcool(m): 1:27pm On Dec 12, 2011
^^^

So the two Africans that received the award gave a bad image of Africans? I think, people should represent their identities if they choose to, because one is used to living under a certain culture does make other cultures less worthy! Just a thought!
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by LagosShia: 10:31pm On Dec 12, 2011
Araboy:

I agree that hijab in middle east is a part of their culture more than an Islamic dressing code even a non practicing

muslimah or an ashawo can still be wearing hijab

Shia consider hijab a sign of chastity and focus too much on the folkloric side like hijab and beard instead of

more substantial matters I think the lady might have given a better image of Muslims if she was dressed in western

attire

brother,your thoughts are really confusing.Shia do not consider hijab as sign of chastity because chastity like iman are subjective and Allah knows best.

but for you to tell us that if a muslim woman wore western outfit she would have represented muslims better is nonsense and an insult to our sense of identity and pride as muslims.i must be honest with you.

the hijab undoubtedly is an islamic dress code.it can be seen as cultural but quiet the contrary hijab is an islamic symbol we are proud of.also,our religion makes it compulsory women wear hijab which is a sign of modesty.

if Tawwakol Karman had wore western dress,that could be misunderstood by the anti-islamic bigots who want to "emancipate" muslim women as muslim women following western ways.it is not like we dont have sincere muslim women who do wear western outfit.but the message of Karman is simple: you can be a practicing muslim woman with hijab and still be progressive and educated and a role model who cannot be misunderstood for being oppressed.
Re: Female Muslim *with Hijab* Receives Nobel Peace Prize For 2011 by Naima00: 10:47am On Aug 05, 2014
Araboy: I agree that hijab in middle east is a part of their culture more than an Islamic dressing  code even a  non practicing

muslimah or an ashawo     can still  be wearing hijab 

Shia  consider hijab a sign of chastity and focus too much on the folkloric  side like hijab  and beard  instead of 

more substantial matters I think the lady might have given  a better image of Muslims  if she was dressed in  western

attire
how on earth would a Muslim woman dressed in western clothes be a better representation of Muslims. Explain yourself.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Islam For Muslims Challenge / Tabarruj Of Henna- Aboo Bannat / If We're Perfectly Created By A Perfect All-knowing God, Why Divine Laws?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.