Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:08 PM

It Is Time To Sell Nigeria's Refineries For N500 Each (Poll Added to thread) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is Time To Sell Nigeria's Refineries For N500 Each (Poll Added to thread) (918 Views)

Poll: How much should each refinery be sold?

N500: 28% (2 votes)
By Competitive Bidding: 71% (5 votes)
N1billion: 0% (0 votes)
Don't Sell, let gov't keep running them: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Two Nigeria’s Refineries To Restart Production Before End Of Dec. 2015 –minister / PHOTOS OF NIGERIA REFINERIES: The Unbelievable! / Nigeria’s Refineries Rated Worst In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Time To Sell Nigeria's Refineries For N500 Each (Poll Added to thread) by nduchucks: 8:13am On Dec 12, 2011
Back in August of 2011, President Goodluck Jonathan gave a 24-month deadline to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to put the four refineries back to shape, a move meant to avert the continued reliance on fuel importation for 30 million litres daily consumption in Nigeria.

The President has since declared that fuel subsidy will be stopped and his administration has announced that there is no provision of funds for fuel subsidy in the 2012 budget proposal to be presented to the National Assembly tomorrow.

The president has my full support for both moves. The removal of fuel subsidy is a necessary "evil" and madam Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala will in due time be thanked by us for her foresight.

My concern now is that, I don't trust NNPC to successfully put all four refineries back in shape - I mean, why have they not done so to date? The NNPC really needs to be scrapped, shikena!!

I call on GEJ and his administration to sell the refineries to proven refinery operators such as those in the USA, Venezuela, and other countries. Governments should not be running refineries or any business enterprise for that matter. They have their hands full in matters of governing and we all know that they've screwed up every single business venture they've attempted to go into.

I say, sell those refineries off for a token N500 and let the buyers invest their own funds to fix the refineries. All of these things can be accomplished in a very short time.

Lets support GEJ on this subsidy issue and in his effort to resolve our uninterruptible power supply problem.
Re: It Is Time To Sell Nigeria's Refineries For N500 Each (Poll Added to thread) by Akanbiedu(m): 11:48am On Dec 12, 2011
Even if they sell for N1, it is better than the current arrangement. At least, billions will not be spent on those refineries every year.
Re: It Is Time To Sell Nigeria's Refineries For N500 Each (Poll Added to thread) by otokx(m): 12:59pm On Dec 12, 2011
Obasanjo through the BPE sold those refineries along with the staff; don't know why Yar Adua (the peace of Allah be upon him) reversed it.
Re: It Is Time To Sell Nigeria's Refineries For N500 Each (Poll Added to thread) by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 12, 2011
^ Obasanjo sold it to himself (via some associates) for approx 5% of its true value
Re: It Is Time To Sell Nigeria's Refineries For N500 Each (Poll Added to thread) by AfroBlue(m): 4:18pm On Jan 04, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Rename Any Shoprite-containing Shopping Mall,shoprite? / Man Forced To Marry Dead Corpse Of Girlfriend / Court Sacks Andy Uba, Ekwunife From Nass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.