Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,880 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:08 AM

Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? (17421 Views)

Top 10 Safest Cities To Visit In Nigeria / Best City In Nigeria To Live In? / What Are The Safest Parts Of Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 4:05pm On Dec 12, 2011
Cape town, jburg, durban . . . Which of the cities?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 5:58pm On Dec 12, 2011
The whole of South Africa is safe. At least that's what I think

Counting South Africa's crimes
GLYNNIS UNDERHILL AND SIPHO MCDERMOTT JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA - Sep 09 2011

The number of murders in South Africa declined by 6.5% in 2010/2011, with 15 940 cases being recorded, according to annual police crime statistics released on Thursday.

This is considered a reliable figure because murder statistics are difficult to manipulate, said Chandre Gould, senior researcher for the crime and justice programme at the Institute for Security Studies. "One crime statistic that is very difficult to manipulate is murder, because you have to have a dead body."

Gould said the 2010/2011 figures were consistent with the pattern since 2003/2004. The murder rate has come down consistently by nearly 20% since then.

Releasing the statistics in Pretoria, Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa pointed out that during the 1994/1995 period the annual murder rate in South Africa stood at 27 000.

Although investigations had been launched into the manipulation of crime statistics in the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal, Mthethwa told the Mail & Guardian he did not doubt the "credibility" of the crime statistics at hand.

In the period under review, from April 2010 to March 2011, attempted murders had fallen by 12.2%, whereas assault with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm had dropped by 4.5%. Robbery with aggravating circumstances was also down by 12%.

Mthethwa said although house robberies had increased dramatically two years ago, this category had declined by 10% to 16 889 cases during the period under review.

"Our engagement with the insurance industry reflects that they, too, have started to witness the impact of this decline," said Mthethwa.

Although there was a decrease of 3% in sexûal offences, Mthethwa said it was an area that still required focused attention. "We are mainly concerned about the number of Desecrates that occur in the country. The number of reported râpes still remains unacceptably high."

The number of reported râpe rose from 55 097 to 56 272 and Mthethwa said the crime was often not reported.

The statistics also show that 94 police officers were killed in the line of duty -- a slight decline from the previous year's figures of 110.

Christiaan Bezuidenhout, professor of criminology at the University of Pretoria, emphasised that South Africa still had some of the worst murder statistics in the world, especially for a country not at war.

"We still have a very high murder rate. Farm murders are not placed in one specific crime category, but the murder rate of farmers is 72 to 75 per year out of an active population of 37 000 to 39 000," said Bezuidenhout.

"They say 110 police officers are murdered a year, out of a service with 190 000 members. It is a much higher risk to be a farmer than a police officer."

Bezuidenhout said he believed that the statistics were not presenting the public with a clear picture. "Why do the crime statistics come out so late?" he asked. "They should come out during the financial year, but they come out six months later."

The different policing strategies used during last year's Fifa World Cup also had to be factored into the statistics, said Bezuidenhout.

"All World Cup issues were dealt with immediately in separate courts and were handled very effectively and quickly. We don't know what effect this had on the crime statistics."

Johan Burger, senior researcher at the Institute for Security Studies, said it was highly relevant that ATM bomb blasts had risen by 61.5% in 2010/2011. There had been 399 bombings compared to 247 the previous year.

"What this tells me is that criminals are looking for easier targets. Bank robberies dropped to their lowest levels since 1997, as did cash-in-transit heists, which fell by 18.7% to 291. Criminals moved their attention to ATMs because they are now considered a soft target."

National police commissioner Bheki Cele told the M&G that Gauteng still remained South Africa's crime heartland, accounting for 50% of national crimes. But he stressed that crime in the province was down by 12% year on year.

Cele said that a problem was the "migration" of crime from larger to smaller centres where there was less visible policing.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-09-09-counting-south-africas-crimes
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 5:41pm On Dec 13, 2011
Tnx 4 dat. Kul one
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 7:05pm On Dec 13, 2011
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 7:11pm On Dec 13, 2011
[size=18pt]Murder[/size]
Red is highest, Yellow is second highest, Green is middle, Light Blue second lowest, Dark Blue lowest

Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 7:13pm On Dec 13, 2011
[size=20pt]Attempted Murder[/size]

Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 7:15pm On Dec 13, 2011
[size=20pt]Total Sexûal Offences[/size]

Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 7:21pm On Dec 13, 2011
[size=20pt]Robbery Non-Residential
[/size]
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 11:30pm On Dec 13, 2011
gee Tnx. Most helpful. Have u ever been there?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by wanaj0: 12:19am On Dec 14, 2011
Crime rate is relatively high in Parts of Pretoria and J'Burg. Car jacking is coming. Part of J'Burg is as bad as Isale Eko with the area boys.
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 7:36am On Dec 14, 2011
Dondav:

gee Tnx. Most helpful. Have u ever been there?

Born and bred in Joburg
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 7:38am On Dec 14, 2011
wanaj0:

Crime rate is relatively high in Parts of Pretoria and J'Burg. Car jacking is coming. Part of J'Burg is as bad as Isale Eko with the area boys.

What's area boys?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 4:17pm On Dec 14, 2011
paniki:

What's area boys?
Mostly the highway touts, who collect money from drivers.
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Oba234: 5:03am On Dec 15, 2011
Stellenbosh right by capetown. Beautiful and peaceful.
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 11:31am On Dec 15, 2011
Oba234:

do u live there?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Awahid: 1:14pm On Dec 15, 2011
As with the vast majority of cities around the world, there are no-go areas in most South African cities, but every single one of them is still a relatively safe place to live in as long as you are vigilant and take the usual precautions. These are five places that I think are some of the safest places to live in South Africa Cape Town, The Garden Route, Port St. John's, Cape St Francis, The West Coast.

South African Airways UK
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 4:33pm On Dec 15, 2011
@Awahid, thnx so much!
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 9:01pm On Dec 15, 2011
Dondav:

Mostly the highway touts, who collect money from drivers.

That's what our traffic cops do from time to time but I don't think we have area boys
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 9:25pm On Dec 15, 2011
Oba234:

Awahid:

As with the vast majority of cities around the world, there are no-go areas in most South African cities, but every single one of them is still a relatively safe place to live in as long as you are vigilant and take the usual precautions. These are five places that I think are some of the safest places to live in South Africa Cape Town, The Garden Route, Port St. John's, Cape St Francis, The West Coast.

Stellenbosch is a white Afrikaans town that could pass as a random mountainous area in Germany or Netherlands
Cape Town and all those other places are also largely populated by white people. What then would be the point of coming to South Africa to live among the whites? Might as well go to Europe.

I suggest Joburg, it's the most diverse city in SA and you will be less likely to be homesick since you will meet many of your Nigerian brothers and sisters. It's unlikely that you will find yourself in informal squatter camp areas like Diepsloot which means that you will escape most of the Johannesburg crime. Most of Joburg's crime just like the rest of SA is social crime as explained in the crime stats report, that's whereby people who now each other are at a house party they have a argument and then kill each other so it's not like you walk in the street and some random criminal shoots you
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 11:17pm On Dec 15, 2011
paniki:

Stellenbosch is a white Afrikaans town that could pass as a random mountainous area in Germany or Netherlands
Cape Town and all those other places are also largely populated by white people. What then would be the point of coming to South Africa to live among the whites? Might as well go to Europe.

I suggest Joburg, it's the most diverse city in SA and you will be less likely to be homesick since you will meet many of your Nigerian brothers and sisters. It's unlikely that you will find yourself in informal squatter camp areas like Diepsloot which means that you will escape most of the Johannesburg crime. Most of Joburg's crime just like the rest of SA is social crime as explained in the crime stats report, that's whereby people who now each other are at a house party they have a argument and then kill each other so it's not like you walk in the street and some random criminal shoots you
So nice! Where do u base?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 12:31am On Dec 16, 2011
Tnx
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2011
Any South African Student here?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 6:27pm On Dec 18, 2011
@justwise, pls unlock my ' uk vs south africa' post. I need more info. . This is strictly on s.a alone. Pls do.
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by damola1: 6:57pm On Dec 18, 2011
Dondav:

@justwise, pls unlock my ' uk vs south africa' post. I need more info. . This is strictly on s.a alone. Pls do.

Thats true,
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Oba234: 2:50am On Dec 19, 2011
Dondav:

do u live there?

no, I stayed there for a while last summer so I am pretty familiar with the area. It is mostly white populated area, but I saw black people there too. I had a good time and nobody bothered me.
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 7:15am On Dec 19, 2011
@oba, what do u think about job opportunities in south africa?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by paniki(m): 10:36am On Dec 19, 2011
Dondav:

@oba, what do u think about job opportunities in south africa?

SA has 25% unemployment so there are millions of South Africans who want to work but can't find a job
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 3:25pm On Dec 19, 2011
paniki:

SA has 25% unemployment so there are millions of South Africans who want to work but can't find a job
Undastandable! Tnx. My situation is both work and skul. . . Therefore uk is beta.
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 12:52pm On Dec 21, 2011
Any more ideas on this uk issue?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 1:15pm On Feb 11, 2012
Where?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 1:24pm On Feb 11, 2012
As at now, what's the crime rate in joburg?
Re: Where Is The Safest Place To Live In South Africa? by Dondav(m): 7:53pm On Feb 18, 2012
Is it true cape town is the safest?

(1) (2) (Reply)

172 Nigerians Deported From Libya / Video Of A Local Beach In Lagos Nigeria / Relocating To Texas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.