Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,308 members, 7,780,729 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:53 PM

Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man (7613 Views)

Nigerian Man Removed From UK Flight Over 'prayer' Message On His Phone / Harper Government Considers Tightening ‘Citizenship By Birth’ Rules / Citizenship by Birth In Turkey? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by i4dey: 6:02pm On Dec 12, 2011
Please help me.

I have married a british-nigerian man for just 5 week now. My husband now told me that he wishes to go and live in the UK but wants me to stay in Nigeria. Please I really love him, how can I apply for british citizenship. I have been married to a british citizen for 5 weeks now. please i want anyone with knowledge to let me know if i am eligible now to apply after just 5 weeks of marriage to a british-nigerian man,

thank u all.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by dalebutt1: 6:20pm On Dec 12, 2011
op, am sorry you are not eligible for British citizenship, you will have to have atleast lived in the UK for 3 years with your husband to meet the residential requirement, and only if your husband is in crown service, serving the British interest outside the UK and you are living with him for 3 years then, you must be living with him in that country for 3 years to qualify the residential test. there are other requirements, but not so rigorous.

If you have just married, why is your husband living you in Nigeria isnt the foundation of marriage is that the 2 of you should live together, happily ever after ?

1 Like

Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by i4dey: 6:31pm On Dec 12, 2011
thank you dalebutt1 for your reply.

my hubby needs to travel over to the uk for job purposes, since he couldn't find the job he likes in nigeria.

alright can i apply for a visa? maybe like a wife visa.
thank you.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 12, 2011
^^^ You'll need to apply for a spousal visa.

Where exactly did you and your husband get married, and what sort of wedding was it?
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by 27naira(m): 6:42pm On Dec 12, 2011
I believe your husband should have all the necessary information regarding all the questions you have asked so far.
Your can apply for spousal visa.

Something just don't seem right. Why are your taking the pains for this inquiry instead of your husband?
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 12, 2011
^^ exactly what i thought!!!!
it seems like SHE wants to go to the UK but hubby doesnt want her there. or she pretended that she was cool with it all, while she wasnt.

@poster
why dont you ask your husband to sort it out for you? if he really wants you there with him then he will surely find a way (like most do).

1 Like

Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by i4dey: 7:07pm On Dec 12, 2011
To Siena:-
My marriage took place at a church called CAC in lagos. the type of wedding was a church wedding and we were given a certificate of marriage. can i apply for a spousal visa right now?

thanks
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by i4dey: 7:27pm On Dec 12, 2011
to others:-

I have discussed coming to uk with by husband but he tells me he doesnt want me to come over yet until he has sorted out a lot of issues. i wish to travel over to meet up with him. pls help sad
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by dalebutt1: 7:45pm On Dec 12, 2011
@ OP, well i really do not know how you can do this without involving your husband, spouse visa requirement is quite burdensome, first the application fee is £810 , and your husbands has to meet the income requirement as well as accomondation requirement, you have to demonstrate an ongoing stable relationship in addition to relationship history prior to marriage.

If you really would like to be with your husband in the UK without him knowing how possible is that? if he finds out you are in the UK or you secured a visa behind is knowledge would that not create any row in your marriage. And how will your husband reacts if he finds out you got a visa without him being involved?

if you answer the above i will give you a tip that wont cost much.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by i4dey: 9:26pm On Dec 12, 2011
i believe my husband will be happy to support me when i persuade him on the importance of me moving to uk to be with him. he just seems reluctant, so please tell me the tip that won't cost much.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by dalebutt1: 9:45pm On Dec 12, 2011
op is it that your husband doesnt want you to apply for spouse visa because he thinks you will not meet the requirement given his circumstances and so he has to go back to the UK work to be able to save some money for this process or he just doesnt want you to be in the UK now? be aware there is no quick fix to it, you will need to have a bit of patience
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 12, 2011
i4dey:

i believe my husband will be happy to support me when i persuade him on the importance of me moving to uk to be with him. he just seems reluctant,  so please tell me the tip that won't cost much.

then PERSUADE HIM first, before going around his back trying to get infos for visa etc. COMMUNICATE with your hubby rather than trying to force yourself where he doesnt want you to be. you are looking at this issue the wrong way!

you are hoping he will change his mind while you have NO IDEA why he is reluctant. who knows what the reason is (are)? he could be married there, living in a room with a few others (while he lied he had it going on), or maybe he is cleaning dishes while telling you he was an engineer etc

sit down with your man and have an HONEST, OPEN HEART discussion with him. not listening to your hubby's advice, in such a short marriage, is bound to create problems that are surely NOT needed.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by denzel2009: 11:22pm On Dec 12, 2011
Getting married in CAC agbala itura won't wash.

1 Like

Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by bolame: 12:06am On Dec 13, 2011
am also doing the same after getting married nx yr, can someone tell me the require documents for the spousal visa
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by mimi234: 3:24am On Dec 13, 2011
denzel2009:

Getting married in CAC agbala itura won't wash.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool too funny
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 13, 2011
bolame:

am also doing the same after getting married nx yr, can someone tell me the require documents for the spousal visa

Surely these are questions you should be asking your British husband? You and i4dey are going about things the wrong way. I'm baffled.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by bolame: 10:51am On Dec 14, 2011
@siena, no he does nt know anything about getting visas in nigeria or neither do i know mush about getting spouse visa and we are not married yet still thinking of doing that from another country n pls can you tell me the list of document need to submit for successful applicatiion
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by bolame: 10:59am On Dec 14, 2011
pls do tel me the list of docs needed
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 14, 2011
bolame:

pls do tel me the list of docs needed

This list is assuming you're married to a British subject:

01) Valid marriage certificate.
02) Last 6 months wages slips from your husband's work (if employed).
03) Certificate of Incorporation from your husband, (if he's self employed).
04) Financial details / tax details from your husbands accountant (business) if self employed.
05) Tenancy Agreement or Mortgage Statement from your husband, proving accommodation isn't an issue.
06) Council Tax bill from your husband (not always asked for, but it pays to be prepared).
07) Copy of your husband's British passport data page.
08) Last 6 months personal bank statements from your husband.
09) Last 6 months business bank statements from your husband (if self employed).

You'll both have to prove you're marriage wasn't one of convenience - photographs of both of you together, email correspondence (if applicable) letters sent between both of you (if applicable). You might also be required to take the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) test later on. This will be once you're in the UK, and are applying for ILR.

I'm no expert on immigration matters, I'm sure more experienced in these matters will chip in.

Good luck!
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Brotha(m): 7:21am On Jan 11, 2012
oh how i wish i could go to Naija and meet a nice Naija lady instead of watching the world go by in London. sad
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 11, 2012
^^^are Naija ladies in UK ¨that¨ bad? lol
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by chika98: 11:56pm On Jan 11, 2012
Brotha:

oh how i wish i could go to Naija and meet a nice Naija lady instead of watching the world go by in London. sad

Is anyone holding you back from going to Nigeria? No be to buy ticket?

1 Like

Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Brotha(m): 5:39am On Jan 12, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

^^^are Naija ladies in UK ¨that¨ bad? lol

Nope, nothing bad with our Naija ladies here or there.

Yesterday's outpour was more like a lamentation of a lonely man that's missing naija

chika98:

Is anyone holding you back from going to Nigeria?  No be to buy ticket?

Yep, one of these days i'm gonna have to do just that. Grab me a ticket and head to the motherland smiley
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by chika98: 8:35pm On Jan 12, 2012
Brotha:

Yep, one of these days i'm gonna have to do just that. Grab me a ticket and head to the motherland smiley

Buy Naija groundnut for me when you go. grin
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by blank(f): 7:46am On Jan 14, 2012
@ I4dey, u need 2 get married at a registry, Ikoyi, Surulere for the embassy 2 accept that u are really married.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Brotha(m): 9:59pm On Jan 16, 2012
chika98:

Buy Naija groundnut for me when you go.  grin

i'd go one better and buy you a gala smiley
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by chika98: 2:12am On Jan 17, 2012
Brotha:

i'd go one better and buy you a gala smiley

I'll hold you to that cheesy
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by bolame: 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2012
@blank is it compusory someone should get married at ikoyi before the embassy accept that we are married and issue the spouse/marriage visa
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by blank(f): 4:59pm On Jan 17, 2012
^^^^^^^

It does not have to be Ikoyi but it MUST be at a registry. Any other wedding will be difficult for them to accept.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Brotha(m): 5:16pm On Jan 17, 2012
chika98:

I'll hold you to that cheesy

Deal smiley

, now, there's the question of how does a brotha with a backpack full of gala find you cheesy
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by Enugu4u: 5:08pm On Jan 26, 2012
@poster,

you will need to let your british husband know about your visa application. I think its IMPOSSIBLE to apply for spousal visa without your british husband's awareness.
Re: Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man by tony13: 5:29pm On Jan 28, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beautiful Picture Of Cotonou. When Will Nigeria Be Like Cotonou? / How To Get Nigerian Birth Certificate From National Population Commission? / 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.