Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Let's Discuss Salaries - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Let's Discuss Salaries (62320 Views)

Why Do People Keep Their Salaries Secret? / Police Teargas Nigerdock Staff Over Protest Of Unpaid Salaries (Pics) / AIT Workers' Salaries Not Paid For Eight Months? (An Appeal To Raymond Dokpesi) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Discuss Salaries by jerryben12: 7:05pm On Dec 12, 2011
I am starting this thread to collect information for every curious mind on what peers in similar industries take home. Also, this will help prospects/job seekers know the industries to target more for job offers. This is an open forum.

What title and salary?
Bankers
Oil workers
Lawyers
Pharmacists
Doctors
Lecturers
Telecoms
IT
CBN/NDIC
NNPC
etc

Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by yamakuza: 1:31pm On Dec 15, 2011
Useful data, but very private matter.

Besides, you didnt specify if its entry level salary.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by tanimola22: 3:31pm On Dec 15, 2011
jerryben12:

I am starting this thread to collect information for every curious mind on what peers in similar industries take home. Also, this will help prospects/job seekers know the industries to target more for job offers. This is an open forum.

What title and salary?
Bankers
Oil workers
[b]Lawyers[/b]Pharmacists
Doctors
Lecturers
Telecoms
IT
CBN/NDIC
NNPC
etc

Grammar wise, they are there. However, many lawyers are doomed salary wise. A law firm that pays 100-150k per month to its staff with like 5 years working experience is really doing well. That should tell you something. The very, very comfortable lawyers I know have their law firms. These are the people that manage to compete with mid level oyel epo robi workers.

I have only decided to study law in the future just because of the prestige the profession offers, nothing more. Lecturing is where I want to retire.

Gun for oyel companies if you are motivated by incredible salaries. Telecoms and bank jobs are not bad.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by yamakuza: 3:50pm On Dec 15, 2011
Entry level for LAWYERS is in the neighbourhood of N20k to N30k per month.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by yamakuza: 9:04pm On Dec 15, 2011
jerryben12:

What title and salary?

Bankers - 170k
Oil workers - 350k
Lawyers - 30k
Pharmacists - 170k
Doctors - 220k
Lecturers - 100k
Telecoms - 80k
IT - 50k
CBN/NDIC - ?
NNPC - ?
etc

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by jerryben12: 2:53pm On Dec 18, 2011
Nice contributions.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by afolayangs(m): 5:39pm On Jan 03, 2012
House pls help on fed government parastatals like NDIC, CBN, BOI, NEXIM, NEPZA etc and what can someone wth 3-4 yrs experince and UK Msc be offerred. Tnx all
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by violent(m): 8:04pm On Jan 03, 2012
yamakuza:

Entry level for LAWYERS is in the neighbourhood of N20k to N30k per month.

wtf
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 13, 2012
Mckinsey Lagos - 85000 dollars entry level- with a brand new car
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by cityofsin: 12:47am On May 14, 2012
Misleading. No Mckinsey office anywhere in the world pays a basic salary of $85,000 for ENTRY LEVEL and definitely not in Nigeria and trust me, I know this very well.

more like 120,000 naira monthly and 3million naira sign on bonus

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by tanimola22: 8:36am On May 14, 2012
Zelinjo: Mckinsey Lagos - 85000 dollars entry level- with a brand new car

You mean Mckinsey Lagos pays more than Total, Shell, Mobil, Chevron? Wow! Good to know. I wonder why the very best brains are still pursuing oil company jobs. Really wondering now..Mckinsey ke? 13 Million Naira per annum..? Entry level?

Okay. Let's see.

T22.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by tanimola22: 8:39am On May 14, 2012
cityofsin: Misleading. No Mckinsey office anywhere in the world pays a basic salary of $85,000 for ENTRY LEVEL and definitely not in Nigeria and trust me, I know this very well.

more like 120,000 naira monthly and 3million naira sign on bonus

120K naira ke? This sounds poor now. Even some local companies pay more than twice of that at entry level.

120K Naira=763USD. This is not impressive.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by cityofsin: 2:58pm On May 14, 2012
tanimola22:

120K naira ke? This sounds poor now. Even some local companies pay more than twice of that at entry level.

120K Naira=763USD. This is not impressive.

Dont forget the 3million sign on bonus, which no one else pays and there are other perks, travel allowance, car allowance, end of year bonus etc. Also, this 120k as a 1st year is youth service. Youth service and 1st year analyst is no different, so it shoots up after your service year. However, oil companies still pay more, but Mckinsey is the best experience one can get at the junior level.

When they initially came, yes they were paying millions, 5 - 7million, for entry level but after a while they realized the local market pays nowhere close to that, accenture KPMG and co, so they cut their salaries. The only industry that might pay above the oil industry depending on the offer, is the private equity industry, which can range anywhere from 400k to 1million per month. Mind you, they usually require 2 years of M&A experience, and the vast majority of those getting these roles, have foreign investment banking work experience (not to say it not possible for investment banking locals but extremely rare at the junior level)

I know all this because I got offers with some of these companies and know the executives.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 14, 2012
Oil and gas servicing( multinational eg. Schlumberger, franks casin, Expro, baker judges, Halliburton etc): entry level 60000 to 130000 per month

Experienced : 350000 to 1.200.000 per month
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by tanimola22: 3:46pm On May 14, 2012
cityofsin:

Dont forget the 3million sign on bonus, which no one else pays and there are other perks, travel allowance, car allowance, end of year bonus etc. Also, this 120k as a 1st year is youth service. Youth service and 1st year analyst is no different, so it shoots up after your service year. However, oil companies still pay more, but Mckinsey is the best experience one can get at the junior level.

When they initially came, yes they were paying millions, 5 - 7million, for entry level but after a while they realized the local market pays nowhere close to that, accenture KPMG and co, so they cut their salaries. The only industry that might pay above the oil industry depending on the offer, is the private equity industry, which can range anywhere from 400k to 1million per month. Mind you, they usually require 2 years of M&A experience, and the vast majority of those getting these roles, have foreign investment banking work experience (not to say it not possible for investment banking locals but extremely rare at the junior level)

I know all this because I got offers with some of these companies and know the executives.

Correct and well said. I am happy with the s at the end of the offer. Great! You know, it is nice to hear once again that some people are getting offers from good companies.

Could you throw more light on the PE firms in Lagos? A brief descriptive analysis would be more than enough.

Thanks,
T22
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by tanimola22: 3:47pm On May 14, 2012
Vikin: Oil and gas servicing( multinational eg. Schlumberger, franks casin, Expro, baker judges, Halliburton etc): entry level 60000 to 130000 per month

Experienced : 350000 to 1.200.000 per month

Wow. 60k-130k.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by cityofsin: 4:52pm On May 14, 2012
tanimola22:

Correct and well said. I am happy with the s at the end of the offer. Great! You know, it is nice to hear once again that some people are getting offers from good companies.

Could you throw more light on the PE firms in Lagos? A brief descriptive analysis would be more than enough.

Thanks,
T22

Well I will make it brief and just give general information, but you can check their respective websites to know what exactly they do and read profiles of their employees. They usually have all employees on their website so you can get an idea of their background.

There arent too many PE firms in Lagos but some of the more prominent PE firms are Actis, ACA, ECP, Aueros, The Carlyle group and one or two others. ACA is the oldest and probably the best as far as performance goes but others are doing well too. As far as getting in, as previously mentioned, they usually hire 1 or 2 people each year and usually people who have 2 years investment banking experience (preferrably within M&A). The reason they do this is because these PE firms are very small, employee number wise, maybe 10 - 20 employees with about half of that the investment team, so they do not have the time to train people to model. Im sure you know, but most of what you will be doing is modelling and valuation and ibanking experience is key for that. Again, the only reason foreign candidates are preferred is because they usually have more merger experience than their local peers as mergers are not really prominent in Nigeria. After two years of working at the junior level, you are advised to get a top MBA to move up the chain.

Pay is between 450k naira (smaller PE firms like Aureos) all the way to 1million+(bigger firms like ECP). You will mostly be valuing different companies and taking care of the nitty gritty of getting a deal done (due diligence, correspondence with lawyers/accountants etc). As far as the interview process, it is extremely tough. You will be grilled a lot on valuation and in most cases will take valuation tests (some take home, some done on site). This is the most important aspect of the interview. Other parts will be grilling on your knowledge on the economy and general business knowledge and behavioural type questions (least important)

All these points are pretty uniform across all the PE firms.

If you dont mind me asking, what is your background and where are you trying to be?

5 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by BIGERBOY1: 6:22pm On May 14, 2012
Please anyone knows what NAHCO AVIANCE pays to entry graduate, my friend is currently trying to get in...
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by tanimola22: 6:34pm On May 14, 2012
cityofsin:

Well I will make it brief and just give general information, but you can check their respective websites to know what exactly they do and read profiles of their employees. They usually have all employees on their website so you can get an idea of their background.

There arent too many PE firms in Lagos but some of the more prominent PE firms are Actis, ACA, ECP, Aueros, The Carlyle group and one or two others. ACA is the oldest and probably the best as far as performance goes but others are doing well too. As far as getting in, as previously mentioned, they usually hire 1 or 2 people each year and usually people who have 2 years investment banking experience (preferrably within M&A). The reason they do this is because these PE firms are very small, employee number wise, maybe 10 - 20 employees with about half of that the investment team, so they do not have the time to train people to model. Im sure you know, but most of what you will be doing is modelling and valuation and ibanking experience is key for that. Again, the only reason foreign candidates are preferred is because they usually have more merger experience than their local peers as mergers are not really prominent in Nigeria. After two years of working at the junior level, you are advised to get a top MBA to move up the chain.

Pay is between 450k naira (smaller PE firms like Aureos) all the way to 1million+(bigger firms like ECP). You will mostly be valuing different companies and taking care of the nitty gritty of getting a deal done (due diligence, correspondence with lawyers/accountants etc). As far as the interview process, it is extremely tough. You will be grilled a lot on valuation and in most cases will take valuation tests (some take home, some done on site). This is the most important aspect of the interview. Other parts will be grilling on your knowledge on the economy and general business knowledge and behavioural type questions (least important)

If you dont mind me asking, what is your background and where are you trying to be?

Thank you for this post. For some strange reasons, I was oblivious of the few PE firms in Lagos. PE is a really good place to be, even in Lagos. That is nice to know.

My background is in the quantitative sciences and I am eyeing many things at the same time. Things like HF, oil trading, etc are on my list. I am not too far away from becoming a volatility quant analyst with a very deep knowledge of quantitative hedging and optimization.

My long term goal is to make a lot of money legitimately.

Thank you again.

T22.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by deenee: 7:58pm On May 14, 2012
You are on point with the list of PE firms herein. Others include ARM Capital partners, Aterios Capital partners, CBO capital partners, SCBPE-the private equity subsidiary of StanChart bank et al. African Capital Alliance is the oldest but not necessarily the best. This is just my own opinion. Actis and ARM are the major players for now as they have recently structured some ground breaking transactions in infrastructure, retail and hospitality and in the TMT (technology,media and telecomms) sector. This said, ACA is also pulling a lot of weight with reference to their seminal deals in FIG and historical transactions originated by them.

You are also on point with the wage structure and the fact that the sector is closely knit. However, the big bucks is earned by the investment managers who are responsible for overseeing the entire deal process from origination to divestiture. The base salary for IMs is outlined as follows: 120K GBP, 200K USD whilst those in nigeria who are quite a handful, earn around 25-30 million P.A in addition to other company perks.

The planned privatization of the energy sector particularly PHCN is expected to increase the transaction capacity with the PE space in Nigeria. Already some firms are anticipating the funding opportunities in the near term. There are also prospects in large scale and mechanized farming. I cannot say more at this point.

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by violent(m): 9:00pm On May 14, 2012
It appears that not even Private Equity in Naija can afford to pay the humongous wages reportedly paid to folks in Oil and Gas.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 11:20pm On May 14, 2012
Oil & Gas sector entry level

Downstream: 180k-300k per month
Upstream: 400k-800k per month

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by deenee: 10:27am On May 15, 2012
I think it is misleading to assume that O and G pays the most. There are disimilarities in various sectors thus a balanced comparison will be quite hard to achieve. I have followed with keen interest discussions about this on another thread but refrained from active participation. I know architects that have been paid 150million for certain projects and project managers with JB that earn 30-40million P.A for a structured tenure. We don't get to hear about this everyday so the tendency is to believe otherwise. No doubt, O and G are top of the echelon in this aspect but the best paying? Well this a debate that will occur in a continuum.

Additionally, the remuneration for the PE sector quoted is just base salary alone. There is also the performance incentive which is what I would term an 'off balance sheet item' and is largely determined by the transaction capacity of the firm. The highest that has been paid out in this regard is three quarters of a billion naira (circa) for a LBO/MBO deal involving a major telco. This is of course a one off transaction. Hence, it is not strange to see PE analysts earning twice what their contemporaries earn in total package as performance incentive alone. Whilst IMs earn three or four times that amount as transaction incentive alone. We don't get to hear of this because most of these firms are closely knit privately held partnerships.

Finally, I want to opine that building a career around an endeavor that we have passion for is perhaps the best way to ensure financial security in the future. After all, stories are abound of O and G employees that have gone bankrupt despite the fat pay checks they receive. If you are in doubt ask Mark Z CEO of facebook and other tech billionaires and closer home Aliko Dangote, Tony Elumelu, Jim Ovia, Mike Adenuga, Hakeem B Osagie just to mention a few. All the best!

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by AjanleKoko: 10:55am On May 15, 2012
deenee: I think it is misleading to assume that O and G pays the most. There are disimilarities in various sectors thus a balanced comparison will be quite hard to achieve. I have followed with keen interest discussions about this on another thread but refrained from active participation. I know architects that have been paid 150million for certain projects and project managers with JB that earn 30-40million P.A for a structured tenure. We don't get to hear about this everyday so the tendency is to believe otherwise. No doubt, O and G are top of the echelon in this aspect but the best paying? Well this a debate that will occur in a continuum.

Bros, O&G pays the best. Those instances you mentioned are one-off. For example, I work in telecoms. Some people get salaries close to $1m a year, but the lowest paid employees earn less than 100k a month.
What's the entry level in JB or any other architectural firm? Compare that to any of the O&G upstream companies, and you will drop this argument.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by tanimola22: 11:12am On May 15, 2012
deenee: I think it is misleading to assume that O and G pays the most. There are disimilarities in various sectors thus a balanced comparison will be quite hard to achieve. I have followed with keen interest discussions about this on another thread but refrained from active participation. I know architects that have been paid 150million for certain projects and project managers with JB that earn 30-40million P.A for a structured tenure. We don't get to hear about this everyday so the tendency is to believe otherwise. No doubt, O and G are top of the echelon in this aspect but the best paying? Well this a debate that will occur in a continuum.

Additionally, the remuneration for the PE sector quoted is just base salary alone. There is also the performance incentive which is what I would term an 'off balance sheet item' and is largely determined by the transaction capacity of the firm. The highest that has been paid out in this regard is three quarters of a billion naira (circa) for a LBO/MBO deal involving a major telco. This is of course a one off transaction. Hence, it is not strange to see PE analysts earning twice what their contemporaries earn in total package as performance incentive alone. Whilst IMs earn three or four times that amount as transaction incentive alone. We don't get to hear of this because most of these firms are closely knit privately held partnerships.

Finally, I want to opine that building a career around an endeavor that we have passion for is perhaps the best way to ensure financial security in the future. After all, stories are abound of O and G employees that have gone bankrupt despite the fat pay checks they receive. If you are in doubt ask Mark Z CEO of facebook and other tech billionaires and closer home Aliko Dangote, Tony Elumelu, Jim Ovia, Mike Adenuga, Hakeem B Osagie just to mention a few. All the best!

Mhen, this is what sustains a continued financial security. Nothing beats doing what you could otherwise do free of charge.

You know, all these investments and funds management professionals somehow do their things in a coded way. That is why many people in Nigeria don't know how handsomely these professionals are remunerated for their services. It is this coded runz that makes it very difficult for Nigerians to believe that someone can earn very highly, even though he/she does not work for an oil company wink

By the way, I watched some presentations given by the CEO of Actis West Africa, one Ngozi chick like that. I am confused as to whether she is a chick or an old woman..lol. She is sound sha. I guess nothing less is expected of someone who got an education, up to graduate level, in Harvard. From your contributions so far, I suspect she should be on nothing less than 35 million Naira per annum. That is a lot of cash for a chick like that. Impressive!

In my view, all these discussions we've been having are quite good because they will gradually begin to let people know that they too can make a good career, and a lot of money too, outside of the regular banking, oil and gas, telecoms etc. The downside though, is that a top education from a top school might be a prerequisite for success in these unconventional careers.

T22.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by ayox2003: 10:45am On May 16, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Bros, O&G pays the best. Those instances you mentioned are one-off. For example, I work in telecoms. Some people get salaries close to $1m a year, but the lowest paid employees earn less than 100k a month.
What's the entry level in JB or any other architectural firm? Compare that to any of the O&G upstream companies, and you will drop this argument.

As in 150,000,000 naira. Na wa o.

Finally[b] I want to opine that building a career around an endeavor that we have passion for is perhaps the best way to ensure financial security in the future[/b]. After all, stories are abound of O and G employees that have gone bankrupt despite the fat pay checks they receive. If you are in doubt ask Mark Z CEO of facebook and other tech billionaires and closer home Aliko Dangote, Tony Elumelu, Jim Ovia, Mike Adenuga, Hakeem B Osagie just to mention a few. All the best!

Seconded.I agree because the word "Perhaps" was included in that sentence. Not everyone will succeed at doing what they are passionate about.
Only God can guarantee financial security.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by moremi2008(m): 7:33pm On May 16, 2012
cityofsin:

Generally spot-on info. Although I disagree that ACA is the best (but then, I don't have any inside info on ACA's track record so I might be wrong). Most PE shops in Lagos have made a string of pretty bad/underperforming investments (e.g. Notore, Seven Energy etc). Now a bunch of them are (or were) clamoring to recapitalize Union Bank and get-in on the Abuja real estate gold rush. They'll probably get burned (this is just a hunch from conversations with people on the ground). All this capital chasing around a few opportunities is just a recipe for bad investments.

PS - I am pretty sure I know who you are. The world is too small. grin
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 16, 2012
Hmmnnn, somebody knows my company at last, even if mentioned by the way.
Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 7:38am On May 20, 2012
120,000 naira ke?! If u know anything bout Mckinsey, u'd at least knoe that they don't pay in dollars.They won't pass less because accenture and them kpmg pays that range. Do you know any kpmg staff that would travel abroad over 5 times in a year to be closer to the clients they are working on. They can move you from lagos to brazl to work with a client for months to yes. And you're telling me their salary range is like accenture and kpmg.

My dear, google mckinsey salaries and you will see other management consulting firms range.

85-100k dollars is what my friend earns, with an official car btw.But he isn't an analyst, he's an associate(MBA) and he travels abroad like water(official trips). So I'm guessing an analyst(bsc) would take home about 50kdollars

They pay in dollars o.My sis did her I.t there and got a car for the duration of her stay. Pls can kpmg do this? So how can u even compare?

Its so freaking hard to enter. Go to mckinsey.com. Then careers. Apply for a position in their lagos interview. Pass their mad ass test and interview. Then tell us what u were offered.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by Nobody: 7:41am On May 20, 2012
And the salaries I stated are of course annual. So u guys should start applying wink wink

1 Like

Re: Let's Discuss Salaries by muyoto: 10:05am On May 20, 2012
Interesting thread. For the pharmacist its about 170k (gross) while doctors 220k at the federal institutions which is perhaps one of the best paying. states vary between 50 to 80% of the federal package.
The NGO's for all the glamour only pays slightly higher than what obtains at the federal. Where we make our money from is the numerous trainings we get to attend.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senior Lawyer Wears Torn Gown And Wig To Court As Nigerians React. Photos / 'Major Dagger' Drilling Students At The Nigerian Army Depot / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.