Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,400 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 (212185 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cophild: 6:41am On Dec 28, 2011
k bro, i jst checked for 29th and saw 175k, It depends on d date u wanna travel sha, all d best bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by zerocool(m): 7:57am On Dec 28, 2011
webstradamus:

The devil has struck!!! but he is a liar and he'll sure fail. My passport with visa was stolen yesterday and I'm billed to travel on Thursday. Pls I need advice urgently on the fastest away to get a replacement passport and visa (possibly to meet up my travel date). Pls help a brother in dire need!!!

Guy, this is sad news. I don't know nor have your contact, but I can understand the pain you will be going through now especially after having booked your ticket and already dreaming about the American life.

IMO, i think you 'over-announced' the fact that you got a U.S visa to your friends, families and foes-alike. Life is a mystery - a total mystery, most especially in Nigeria. You can't seperate those who love you from people who are backstabbers.

I hope other applicants will learn from this, and always keep their mouth shut until they have travelled, even before they apply for a U.S visa interview.

In your search for your passport, don't look outwards, look inwards. One of your friend or relative would have 'taken' your passport, and if the person will not use it, surely the person will sell it. Yoruba's say: Eni to mo eni, lo n seni.

Many people are in the U.S with another person's passport (it is one of the most popular ways Nigerians travel to yankee since the early 90's). Having a change of name in the U.S years after, is easy.

I pray you find your passport o! If not, it is a hard and painful lesson to learn. Experience is a good school, but the fees are high - Others should learn from this.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by zerocool(m): 8:14am On Dec 28, 2011
goshen360:

Student Interview at the Embassy of the United States of America

HINTS, TIPS AND PREPARATIONS

1. One thing I have found out about this visa issue over the years that matters most but it’s the secret of USA student visa but the embassy will never disclose it to the public but will rather want applicants to keep applying and paying fees so they can keep making money is AGE. Your age at the level of your studies really matters. For instance, how will an applicant at the age of 27years old convince the visa officer for genuine studies when your peers are already applying for master or even PhD. Except on rare luck cases, age matters when it comes to student visa. From experience, I will suggest you be between 19-22/23 for undergraduates. 24-27years old for masters etc.

Right on point!

I mentioned this, in the last thread that was deleted/moved, but someone replied and called me a liar.

As i type this, the person should have gotten his visa, arrived in U.S already and preparing to start school in spring 2012. Irony.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by phy: 8:49am On Dec 28, 2011
goshen360:

HINTS, TIPS AND PREPARATIONS

1. One thing I have found out about this visa issue over the years that matters most but it’s the secret of USA student visa but the embassy will never disclose it to the public but will rather want applicants to keep applying and paying fees so they can keep making money is AGE. Your age at the level of your studies really matters. For instance, how will an applicant at the age of 27years old convince the visa officer for genuine studies when your peers are already applying for master or even PhD. Except on rare luck cases, age matters when it comes to student visa. From experience, I will suggest you be between 19-22/23 for undergraduates. 24-27years old for masters etc.

From my experience, age is never a barrier to US education at any level not even for employment. The question is 'what have you been doing with your life?'. If this can be answered convincingly then you're good to go.

goshen360:

14. You must have taken int’l exams e.g. Toefl for undergraduate studies. SAT, Gmat, GRE for masters depending on your major. For undergraduate students, if your school doesn’t require toefl as prerequisite for admission, the embassy might demand it sometimes and this is mostly due to spoken English of some applicants. You cannot convince the Visa Officer on student visa if you can’t speak error free English. So, you can have toefl for undergraduate to be on a safer side. Same goes to SAT, Gmat or GRE for masters program, This is a must as it is a requirement for acceptance into U.S universities.

Also note that SAT is meant for undergad only and not grad students while TOEFL could be required of any student either undergrad or grad and GMAT and GRE for MSc and above.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by KayDee4: 8:59am On Dec 28, 2011
goshen360:

3. NEVER ATTEND ANY NON-IMMIGRANT VISA WITH UNSTAMPED INT’L PASSPORT EVEN AS A STUDENT APPLICANT. YOU MUST HAVE INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL EXPERIENCE. YOU CAN EASILY TRAVEL TO PLACES LIKE TOGO, REPUBLIC OF BENIN AND GHANA WITHIN THE ECOWAS STATES WITHOUT A VISA, JUST AN ENTRY STAMP NEEDED.

This statement is totally false.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 9:56am On Dec 28, 2011
You guys just dey crack goshen. SAT for graduate should be a mistake and traveling experience shouldn't be a barrier except in some occasions when the day is bad like we heard in the past.
Visa lottery equivalent to denial when the day is bad too like I saw during my interview where an undergraduate applicant was told he applied for the DV lottery, so by that under section so so and so he is not qualified for a non-immigrant visa. Na so we all looked each other faces o.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by justwise(m): 10:19am On Dec 28, 2011
@goshen360

I know we are all trying to help but please lets not mislead people here, some of the 'hints' you posted there is untrue as people above have pointed out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kaycome: 10:33am On Dec 28, 2011
@ imperiouxx Does it mean that if you have applied for dv lottery before you are not permit to apply for student visa or is it for those that have won the lottery before? try to clarify that plz.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 10:44am On Dec 28, 2011
kaycome:

@ imperiouxx Does it mean that if you have applied for dv lottery before you are not permit to apply for student visa or is it for those that have won the lottery before? try to clarify that plz.

Kaycome, I'm not trying to cause confusion and mind my statement above - when the day is bad, because we have heard of many here that applied the same year their F1 visa was granted. The boy hasn't won but only applied for the DV2012 like many others. I didn't apply and still the same.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kaycome: 10:54am On Dec 28, 2011
OK i got your point.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by rowlandoo: 11:16am On Dec 28, 2011
@imperxioxxx

please i paid my mrv 24 12 2010 and never used it at all, can i use it to book appointment right now because am filling my ds 160 now now , and also can i change my refrences addresses on the form because i dont want to use the refrennce i mean people to contact here in nigeria anymore , i want to use another address , should that matter
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 11:38am On Dec 28, 2011
MRV is only valid for a year and its over a year 4 days ago. Nothing bad in seeing it yourself on the booking site but I guess it will still count to expired. About your address, if you have relocated from where you resided before won't you have a changed of address? But if outside nigeria, I don't know the implications. To be consistent while filling is better.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by classy013: 11:42am On Dec 28, 2011
The information above is untrue. The U.S. Embassy issue visas randomly. If anyone falls into that category, he or she will be issued visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 11:47am On Dec 28, 2011
classy013:

The information above is untrue. The U.S. Embassy issue visas randomly. If anyone falls into that category, he or she will be issued visa.

Mind telling us whose info?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by classy013: 12:00pm On Dec 28, 2011
Check the info @ goshen360
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Goshen360(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2011
justwise:

@goshen360

I know we are all trying to help but please lets not mislead people here, some of the 'hints' you posted there is untrue as people above have pointed out.

Well, it is not compulsory that people believe what i have said but people will also learn from experience and will come share their stories. I attended student interview at the US embassy 2 times, the first unprepared and the 2nd, well prepared but was still denied. Today, i reside in the US and learnt most of their US visa policies, both non-immigrant and immigrant. The fact that something worked for someone out of luck or the day being good doesn't mean the person have done perfectly well.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Goshen360(m): 6:32pm On Dec 28, 2011
phy:

From my experience, age is never a barrier to US education at any level not even for employment. The question is 'what have you been doing with your life?'. If this can be answered convincingly then you're good to go.

Also note that SAT is meant for undergad only and not grad students while TOEFL could be required of any student either undergrad or grad and GMAT and GRE for MSc and above.

Well, age is not a barrier ONLY when you are already in the US as many above 30 are just attending their undergraduate level here in the US. So it becomes an issue when seeking visa to enter the US for student at the age is 27, applying for undergraduate, then it becomes an issue what you have been doing with your life while your mates are done with undergraduate as such age if truly you are serious with education. I am addressing the larger percentage being denied visa without the working knowledge of US visa policies.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by originality: 9:26pm On Dec 28, 2011
Hello house, please i need your candid advice thought i have been following this forum for some time now.
I am about applying to study in USA (summer 2012 term) but i have some issues.
I am applying as a transfer student and that is because i finished my Bsc degree (computer science graduated in 2010) with a second-class lower (CGPA of 2.58) and so am not qualified for a MSc programme.
So a friend advised me to apply as a transfer student and the school can place me in 3rd or 4th year after evaluating my transcripts.
Though my uncle will be partly sponsoring me while i will take care of the rest.
The only fear i have is if the embassy won't frown at this because am already 24years old and am working at a reputable company at the moment and they are willing to grant me a study leave And i need the Masters degree because its a requirement for promotion where i work
i just don't know if anyone here knows if this TRANSFER thing works because i have the option of going for a final year top-up programme in UK (1year programme) but i just feel the US will surely be better because i plan on doing my Msc immediately.
Pls i need your urgent advice people cos am sending my application for admission next week.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by OjaP: 9:59pm On Dec 28, 2011
@ Originality

Your friend is misleading you. You can apply straight to graduate schools with your 2.2. There are a thousand and one schools [/b]that will accept you. Just make sure you write the GRE and score atleast 1000 (for Visa interview purpose).

You may be admitted as a transfer student but my only fear is the embassy - they seem to deny a larger percentage of transfer students who apply for Visa. [b] Masters [/b]is your best bet.

You may want to check Widener University or City University of New york. There are more of them and I will refer you to[b] www.msinus.com
. You should get all you need from there.

Just look for schools that accept a minimum of 2.5 gpa for graduate admissions ( that is the equivalent of Naija 2.2).

Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by originality: 10:04pm On Dec 28, 2011
Thanks for the eye opener BRO i really appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by speartaker: 11:46pm On Dec 28, 2011
pls i hv been goin 2ru dis thread for a while, even b4 i bcame a member of d house. All i read here is abt f-1 student visa stuff. And i am an m-1 student. Pls i need some info abt m1 visa interviews? Thanks a lot
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kaycome: 7:49am On Dec 29, 2011
@Ojap and others plz i have a GPA of 3.08/5.0 in my undergraduate. Can you plz help me to convert in to American standard. i mean on the scale of 4.0
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by rowlandoo: 10:06am On Dec 29, 2011
@house and helper

Please i need an ppointment in MAY , can anyone help me get it ,  please ejo

for all going for internview in january , God will bless you with the new things in the new year . You shall ll get it ,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by hariyoh: 10:26am On Dec 29, 2011
OjaP:

@ Originality

Your friend is misleading you. You can apply straight to graduate schools with your 2.2. There are a thousand and one schools [/b]that will accept you. Just make sure you write the GRE and score atleast 1000 (for Visa interview purpose).

You may be admitted as a transfer student but my only fear is the embassy - they seem to deny a larger percentage of transfer students who apply for Visa. [b] Masters [/b]is your best bet.

You may want to check Widener University or City University of New york. There are more of them and I will refer you to[b] www.msinus.com
. You should get all you need from there.

Just look for schools that accept a minimum of 2.5 gpa for graduate admissions ( that is the equivalent of Naija 2.2).

Good luck.

@ OjaP, pls i have a cousin that have a second class lower with (CGPA of 2.38) but he his currently in Cuba, he wishes to enroll for a master program in any university in us with his bachelor degree which he obtained here in Nigeria. Please is it different from that of 2.5 gpa?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by OlivaTwist: 12:19pm On Dec 29, 2011
Hello Guys,

I've been lurking on this site for over a year now. It has really been a source of Joy, Motivation and Laughter even when arguments arose on different occasions. cool

It is however particularly disappointing to hear that Imperiouxxx was denied a visa again sad. Just keep trying, believing that when the appropriate time comes, no one can deny you even Obama.

Best wishes to you all
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by djunit1(m): 2:29pm On Dec 29, 2011
I feel sorry for the guy who lost his passport and Visa. To make matters worse you have to go through the stress of interview again. I feel for you man and hope things turn out nice for you. Please keep us updated because people who went through the stress understand what it feels like to go through it over and over again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Goshen360(m): 5:09pm On Dec 29, 2011
OlivaTwist:

Hello Guys,

I've been lurking on this site for over a year now. It has really been a source of Joy, Motivation and Laughter even when arguments arose on different occasions. cool

It is however particularly disappointing to hear that Imperiouxxx was denied a visa again sad. Just keep trying, believing that when the appropriate time comes, no one can deny you even Obama.

Best wishes to you all

The issue is not believing. He believed when he went there as many times as he went. The issue is, the embassy might tell you to reapply but they might not probably tell you when and conditions attached to reapply because they want your money. Anyone denied a visa must wait a least 6 months from the time he/she was denied. I personally advice people to wait for one year. When you reapply within 6 months of initial denial, they see anxiety or desperation in you and hence, they keep denying. Also, you need do your homework very well before reapplying, your ground for denial must have changed or improved or better, that is your ties and economic status. Again, your preparation and presentation in how you answer questions matters. So, your waiting period of btw 6-12months is to allow certain changes to take place on the reasons for the denial and to do your preparation/homework well again. Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cleverdude: 5:39pm On Dec 29, 2011
Haba! Imperiouxxx,my good buddy,i cnt believe what hapend at ur interview. Take heart man. I surely blieve u'll get it d nxt shot,cos i knw hw i felt when i was denied by dat same caucasian lady at window 7. What are ur nxt plans?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Goshen360(m): 7:06pm On Dec 29, 2011
I have posted questions and suggested some answers to questions being asked at USA student interview on my profile. please go to my profile: goshen360. Am finding hard time posting it here but i keep seeing it on my profile. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 7:19pm On Dec 29, 2011
OlivaTwist:

Hello Guys,

Best wishes to you all

Again ke! When was that o? Please whenever you are online, edit that line as I'm counting it as mix up. I went for interview first time ever in Dec 21 and nothing as we speak now and nothing like that will happen again. Abeg ooo!

@cleverdude,

Sure if we keep being disturbed by the past then it will be a long way to the future.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (101)

Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou / Poland Work Visa / Where Are Nigerians In Australia .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.