Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,811 members, 7,802,612 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal (10974 Views)

Ambode Presents Y2016 Budget Proposal Of N665.588bn To House Of Assembly / Nigeria Labour Congress Warns FG - Don’t Increase Price Of Fuel / Reaction Of Africans When BBC Said Nigeria Flag Is Boring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by channel801(f): 6:18pm On Dec 14, 2011
Being the official reaction of Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) to Year 2012 Budget Proposal presented on Tuesday, 13th December, 2011 to the Joint session of National Assemby, By President Goodluck Jonathan.

Press Release
The 2012 Budget: A Disaster Waiting to Happen
A critical perusal of the year 2012 budget proposal submitted to the National Assembly by President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday showed clearly that the present government has no intention to lead the country out of the present socio- economic crisis. The budget, which was tagged: Budget of Fiscal Consolidation, Inclusive Growth and Job Creation, is actually an anti-peoples budget designed purely in the service of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) and their local lackeys who dictate to the Nigerian government. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

In particular, the exclusion of fuel subsidy in the budget is not only tragic, but a declaration of war on the Nigerian people. Thus, the Nigerian people will have no choice but to confront this challenge.

This further attempt to impoverish workers and the Nigerian poor, is coming at the heels of increased tariff on electricity, the move to massively sack workers in the name of merging parastatals, the attempt to collect more taxes through the return of toll gates, the refusal to adequately fund education, and refusal to pay minimum wage, which is an impeachable offence.

Despite the country’s security challenges, it is curious that the Jonathan government has allocated a massive lion share of the budget to security. In the first instance, the major cause of the increasing wave of insecurity in Nigeria is lack of education and mass unemployment, which are direct consequences of the general collapse of public infrastructure such as public electricity, roads, education, health etc. The security challenges are further compounded by lack of political will and abysmal ineptitude of security agencies.

No one should underestimate the general mass poverty, unemployment and discontent that has increased bottled up anger in our polity. The removal of fuel subsidy will provide the spark for mass protests such that even the increased security vote cannot buy enough arms to contain.

Since the government of Jonathan has elected to punish the Nigerian people through a budget that is poverty inducing and will cause a lot of hardship, the Nigerian people will have no alternative but to resist.

We call on all Nigerian workers and people to begin preparations for a general strike and mass protests. The people must be prepared in the next few weeks when the Jonathan administration begins to implement his anti-Nigerian policy. Nigerians should prepare to occupy the streets and public institutions to prevent them from being taken over by anti-patriotic forces.

The NLC leadership will be meeting on Tuesday December 20, 2011, to firm up strategies and give directive on the commencement of this protest and the resolve of workers and the Nigerian people to reclaim their country back.

We call on the National Assembly to side with the electorate and the Nigerian people by refusing to pass this budget.

We also ask the Jonathan administration to seriously have a rethink by reviewing his budget proposal, or be ready to take on the Nigerian people.

SIGNED
Owei Lakemfa
Ag. General Secretary

http://www.channel801.com/Varieties/the-2012-budget-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-nlc.html
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Gbawe: 8:08pm On Dec 14, 2011
The NLC is not impressed ? You don't say !!!! Simply shocking !!!!
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Rhino5dm: 8:51pm On Dec 14, 2011
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Brouhahahaha!
Am loving this. They have finally push Reetardeenho to a point of no return. she be retardeenho say, he is ready for mass revolt?. . .Lets goooo there!!!

In the next couple of weeks, we shall witness serious mass revolt against PDP-led anti-progressive government, which shall culminate into serious security break down; Boko haram will want to cash into this fertile opportunity to show case thier new "smart bomb" technology, while most politicians will go into hiding.

But my personal take is to allow the ediots that voted PDP to enjoy their fresh air.
As for me, i wont step out of my comfort zone. Sooooo long! cool
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Kobojunkie: 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2011
abegi!!! Which mass revolt? Like the many other NLC 'revolts' we have seen in recent times? ROFL
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Demdem(m): 9:04pm On Dec 14, 2011
The most painful issue here is those that voted for the retardeen and jot pdp won't accept the fact that they have been fooled. Asking them if removal of fuel subsidy was part of his numerous ridiculous promises, they go dumb.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Rhino5dm: 9:29pm On Dec 14, 2011
^
what annoys me most, is thesame fooolish pathetic extremly dejected goons that voted PDP, are still the ones crying all over the place. Wetin dem see sef?. . .e go reeeeeeeeedddddd!

I joyfully listen to how all the pschophantic praises of GEJ quickly fades out.

Now, how many of those brainless mooroons can still hold that GEJ is the messiah or God chosen?.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by stormm: 9:37pm On Dec 14, 2011
I'm sure BEAF will have some reasons. So where is the Abuja been to?
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Gbawe: 9:51pm On Dec 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

abegi!!! Which mass revolt? Like the many other NLC 'revolts' we have seen in recent times? ROFL

I think the key point to keep in mind is that this will be a revolt about life , overnight, being simply unaffordable and far more bleak than was the case before . Yes Nigerians are not particularly known for their revolutionary zeal but this revolt will come from the stomach and pockets of Nigerians. Fuel power their cars and generators. Fuel is a very important consideration in a Country with very poor transport infrastructure that limit travel essentially to the vehicular sort.

Literally everything will go up. Hyper-inflation may set in. The implication for chaos is obvious given Nigerian Government are insensitive and very poor at contingency planning. I am not saying that revolt will absolutely happen but what will be reality when fuel price doubles (from N65 Per litre to N125-150 per litre) could be something even the most vivid imagination did not envisage.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Kobojunkie: 10:08pm On Dec 14, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

^
what annoys me most, is thesame fooolish pathetic extremly dejected goons that voted PDP, are still the ones crying all over the place. Wetin dem see sef?. . .e go reeeeeeeeedddddd!

I joyfully listen to how all the pschophantic praises of GEJ quickly fades out.

Now, how many of those brainless mooroons can still hold that GEJ is the messiah or God chosen?.
You haven't been on his facebook, have you?? ROFL
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Rhino5dm: 2:38am On Dec 15, 2011
May be i should take visit for comical relief.

Kobojunkie:

Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by daviesmania(m): 3:33pm On Dec 15, 2011
Noise making NLC the wil soon chicken-out watch-out.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by timpaker(m): 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
this is a super story. grin it is a tale to tell at moonlight cool
but seriously, who is advising Jonathan, hope it is not Okonjo?
I thought GEJ said he understood the problem of Nigerians, na wa o!
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by dastudent(m): 3:47pm On Dec 15, 2011
Definitely Okonjo because,
1.The world bank has wanted the removal of fuel subsidy in Nigeria since the 80s
2. Madam Okonjo is a world bank puppet.
3. Buy all albums of Baba Fela and you would understand everything that is happening now.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Andrew3(m): 3:54pm On Dec 15, 2011
Kobojunkie:

something is missing on your post, no emotion? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by lafuria1(m): 3:58pm On Dec 15, 2011
all is well
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by tkb417(m): 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2011
i really dont trust NLC

i wish we can just stop going to work; let there be parades for 30days in all states of the Federation

lets see if hes got the nerves to continue his anti people policies

what a useless murafcker
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by honeric01(m): 4:05pm On Dec 15, 2011
I dare Nigerians to revolt. Noisemakers!
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by igbo2011(m): 4:06pm On Dec 15, 2011
I hope there is a revolution but I hope Boko Haram doesn't messt things up as well.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Challas(m): 4:07pm On Dec 15, 2011
Am all eyes,
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 15, 2011
Noise Loving Congress. We dey watch sha. . .
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by linsa01(m): 4:20pm On Dec 15, 2011
I will personally be involved in the protest. Why is IMF so interested in the removal of fuel subsidy? With this 'GEJ's budget' Nigerians should prepare for more hardship in 2012.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by tkb417(m): 4:26pm On Dec 15, 2011
J12:

Noise Loving Congress. We dey watch sha. . .
omo; i no trust those guys

sellouts!

any parade sha, i go dey involved

dress reherasals starts in Lagos against LCC this weekend

we'll learn fast before the mother of all protests next year

aluta continua lipsrsealed
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by tit(f): 4:37pm On Dec 15, 2011
unlike when sw was president,
protests in the sw against a ss president will be more determined.
so it must not be allowed to hold.

nlc can hold their rally in abuja only.
some other distraction should also be thrown in.
lastly it looks like with sustained fuel scarcity,
the public will be begging for the subsidy thing to be done with already.

to those looking forward to protests:
you know our security forces are trigger happy.
your streets will run red with blood.

we are now in a market economy
better use what energy you have to see how you can profit from the new world order!
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by bigl: 4:38pm On Dec 15, 2011
Whether or not nigerians are cowards, we shall see next year. The hardship wld force us all to kick back and revolt. Its very imminent. Moreso, US predicted sometimes ago that jona might b d last presido we might hav as a country.

Let them remove d damn subsidy and see if there won't be a series of chain reactions.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by tkb417(m): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2011
tit:

unlike when sw was president,
protests in the sw against a ss president will be more determined.
so it must not be allowed to hold.

nlc can hold their rally in abuja only.
some other distraction should also be thrown in.
lastly it looks like with sustained fuel scarcity,
the public will be begging for the subsidy thing to be done with already.

to those looking forward to protests:
you know our security forces are trigger happy.
your streets will run red with blood.
we are now in a market economy
better use what energy you have to see how you can profit from the new world order!

you must think this is a military rule

ur streets will run red with blood?

we shall see if he will not be consumed in the inferno
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by Kilode1: 4:51pm On Dec 15, 2011
Nigerians should prepare to occupy the streets and public institutions to prevent them from being taken over by anti-patriotic forces. -NLC

WTH??

NLC ti gba abode   shocked

~NLC Has been compromised~  . . .and will be punished angry

Signed:  PDP Fix it Team
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by ZEN(m): 5:22pm On Dec 15, 2011
it is unfortunate that Mr. president is not getting the right advice,he is not truthful or both.He is putting the cart b/4 the horse.For starters Nigerians have been deceived,lied upon and cheated in the past by "OUR RULERS".What he could have done on resumption of office to date is to try "bring confidence".Though dauting a  task.mind you I did not say "restore" because the confidence has never been there.though "worse of" at the moment if my memory does not fail me.

Now someone somewhere will ask,how can he "bring confidence"?.fix our dilapidated infrastructures for starters,show "serious" fight against corruption,build and allow institutions work as they ought to.Then i can take a vacation and mobilze for support for him in any new policy he brings to the table.

BTW why the consultation with bodies now?(after submitting "his" budget"wink.talk abt "advice",talk abt putting the cart b/4 the horse.CONFUSSION
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by PasD(m): 6:05pm On Dec 15, 2011
"I AM GOODLUCK JONATHAN", where are those goodluck jonathans?
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by bodeface: 6:19pm On Dec 15, 2011
Why do we always put the cart before the horse in this country? Fuel subsidy removal first?? Is cutting the head a solution to headache
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by jamace(m): 6:36pm On Dec 15, 2011
I don't trust the labour leaders. Why have they not reacted to the spate of looting by politicians in the country. My mind tells me they just want to be heard and after being settled, will sing a new song to the masses. Na our way.

I'm on the sideline watching.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by eros(m): 6:40pm On Dec 15, 2011
What shall we say to these things

It hurts me so bad that no matter the anger we vent on here, the curses and swear we spit on GEJ, PDP and every evil Politician that has destroyed Nigeria, none of it will fix the problem.

Can we for once STOP TALKING AND JUST FIX THE PROBLEM.

NIGERIANS HOW DO WE FIX NIGERIA.

This is our country and everyone of us has equal right just as GEJ and his goons to also govern Nigeria.

I ASK AGAIN, NIGERIANS HOW DO WE FIX NIGERIA.
Re: Official Reaction Of Nigerian Labour Congress To 2012 Budget Proposal by otokx(m): 7:06pm On Dec 15, 2011
It is the Nigerians themselves that have problem and not necessarily GEJ; nothing will happen if subsidy is removed. NLC that cannot enforce minimum wage that is backed by law is here running mouth.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) / Occupy Ikeja City Mall- Shop Owners Shut Due To Parking Fees / Obasanjo Visits FRSC For His Driving License

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.