Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,953 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves (8243 Views)

CHANGE!!! Sai BUHARI!!! WE Get To See Stolen Money With 8 Trillion Naira Budget! / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Rise To $31.5 Billion / States' Public Debt Stock Is N1.8 Trillion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Abagworo(m): 11:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
Orlu — THE Imo State Commissioner for Petroleum & Environment, Chief Steve Ahaneku has said that the State has gas reserve in excess of 7.8 trillion SCF, which he disclosed are deposited in Oguta, Ohaji/Egbema, parts of Izombe, Owerri Municipal and other areas of the State.

Chief Ahaneku, who stated this during the 2011 LG International Gas Roundtable & Expo themed, "Gas to Wealth" organized by his Ministry at Concorde Hotels, Owerri noted that the present State Government under Owelle Rochas Okorocha is fully committed not only reducing gas flares but paving way for private and public initiatives to gear towards the reduction and final elimination of the flaring.

While saying that it would create job opportunities and enhance economic benefits to all the communities in the State, the Commissioner contended that the Governor is poised to make Imo State a gas hub in Nigeria.

He also divulged that the State Government has plans to create an environment that would enable the utilization of natural gas, produced in the State, generate products like electric power, fertilizer, gas-to liquid, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) CNG for vehicles fuels and other products.

He said that the purposes of the Gas Roundtable were to evolve pragmatic gas policy, promote gas investments, showcase the gas potentials, build investors confidence in the State and engage and interact with business community and investors.

Ahaneku further expressed that the State has developed a Draft Gas Utilization Policy adding that plans are equally underway to sign a gas concession agreement between Imo State Government and Nigerian Gas Company.

"This will ensure the availability of gas for investors, who intend to invest along the gas-value chain. The core gas-related investment areas in the state include: Power Transport Pipeline, gas processing plant, fertilizer and petrochemical plants, gas-to-liquid plants and PG processing plants among others", he emphatically stressed.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201112070808.html
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by jason123: 11:37pm On Dec 15, 2011
Imo is in money!!! grin grin grin
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Onlytruth(m): 11:48pm On Dec 15, 2011
Posted by: Abagworo
Orlu — THE Imo State Commissioner for Petroleum & Environment, Chief Steve Ahaneku has said that[b] the State has gas reserve in excess of 7.8 trillion SCF[/b], which he disclosed are deposited in Oguta, Ohaji/Egbema, parts of Izombe, Owerri Municipal and other areas of the State.

That gas deposit is greater than those of many countries. We ain't doing bad afterall. To God be the glory.
The glorious days of Igboland is still ahead!
We shall get there site n'ike nke chinekecool cool cool
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Nchara: 1:08am On Dec 16, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: Abagworo
That gas deposit is greater than those of many countries. We ain't doing bad afterall. To God be the glory.
The glorious days of Igboland is still ahead!
We shall get there site n'ike nke chinekecool cool cool

Plus oil in the same Imo
Plus oil and gas in Abia
Plus oil and some gas in Anambra
Plus coal in Enugu
Plus all sorts of natural resources in Ebonyi
Plus the human capital in abundance
plus the zeal and resilience to make it

Little wonder Nigeria does not want to spew you from her mouth. E dey easy?

1 Like

Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:57am On Dec 16, 2011
Bia, if Imo State is signing agreements with Nigerian Gas Company or anyone else for that matter, they should go with the smartest and craftiest of Lawyers so they're not shortchanged. It's been known that there's huge gas reserves in Imo and Anambra for decades and we're still talking of plans with nothing yet set in stone . Meanwhile poor Imo youths/graduates are roaming the streets searching for jobs that just aren't there. I guess that's the price you pay for being in a warped federation where each constituting unit isn't allowed to develop at its own pace and use resources found within its borders primarily for the good of its people: everything first has to go to a federation account and then you get a bit back (with 13% jara if you're lucky, which you had better be grateful for).

Sometimes i feel i'm the only one in a hurry to see the South East soar to greater heights economically undecided. Our representatives in the legislature, some of our Governors and our Elite don't seem to be in much of a hurry as i would want them to be angry.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Obiagu1(m): 2:45am On Dec 16, 2011
Nchara:

Plus oil in the same Imo
Plus oil and gas in Abia
Plus oil and some gas in Anambra
Plus coal in Enugu
Plus all sorts of natural resources in Ebonyi
Plus the human capital in abundance
plus the zeal and resilience to make it

Little wonder Nigeria does not want to spew you from her mouth. E dey easy?

Eastern Nigeria is blessed, unfortunately, we're under occupation.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by saintneo(m): 4:20am On Dec 16, 2011
Obiagu1:

Eastern Nigeria is blessed, unfortunately, we're under occupation.
Operation end the occupation.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Onlytruth(m): 4:32am On Dec 16, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

Bia, if Imo State is signing agreements with Nigerian Gas Company or anyone else for that matter, they should go with the smartest and craftiest of Lawyers so they're not shortchanged. It's been known that there's huge gas reserves in Imo and Anambra for decades and we're still talking of plans with nothing yet set in stone . Meanwhile poor Imo youths/graduates are roaming the streets searching for jobs that just aren't there. I guess that's the price you pay for being in a warped federation where each constituting unit isn't allowed to develop at its own pace and use resources found within its borders primarily for the good of its people: everything first has to go to a federation account and then you get a bit back (with 13% jara if you're lucky, which you had better be grateful for).

Sometimes i feel i'm the only one in a hurry to see the South East soar to greater heights economically undecided. Our representatives in the legislature, some of our Governors and our Elite don't seem to be in much of a hurry as i would want them to be angry.

The future of Eastern Nigeria is really in the hands of our youths. We saw the display of that youth power when Imo youths rose up to ensure that PDP did not rig Imo guber polls. Most of our parents are very corrupt and have sold their souls to the Nigerian system, including some of those who witnessed the civil war. I guess they feel that they did their best already, so we must do ours too. We must vow to take a different direction, else nothing would change.

We should begin by joining ONE party that shares our vision for the future. If Igbo youths join APGA now, they can make a big dent on this problem. I have some other thoughts toward the PDP (as a second option), but I would only share it via email with my council members. When we reach a consensus on it, we shall bring it out here for critiquing.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Akintola11(m): 1:42pm On Dec 16, 2011
whether or not it has oil reserves is not the issue, how to enable the right environment for growth is the key!!

This brilliant article details the delay and the benefits behind the PIB!!! www.thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/petroleum-industries-bill-slick-politics.com

We must focus on this before we start rejoicing on gas finds, coal finds or any other bloody finds,
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Akintola11(m): 1:45pm On Dec 16, 2011
whether or not it has oil reserves is not the issue, how to enable the right environment for growth is the key!!

This brilliant article details the delay and the benefits behind the PIB!!! www.thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/petroleum-industries-bill-slick-politics.com

We must focus on this before we start rejoicing on gas finds, coal finds or any other bloody finds,
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by kizito96(m): 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2011
Even if they get gas that will endure for ever, It will be difficult for the poor to get the dividend
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by marcus1234: 2:38pm On Dec 16, 2011
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by manny4life(m): 2:41pm On Dec 16, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

The bold part is what drives me crazy every time I hear about Nigerian states and their resources which states have no control about. I always wonder, why is that that state governors don't have a stand to challenge the FG through the legal system and put a STOP to that nonsense? By a firm stand, you take it by force. It's high time states begin to challenge the FG to so many laws that is supposedly to fall within their jurisdiction, YET, the FG is quick to want to control everything. This is the perfect reason why we are not developing. I strongly believe the Constitution does not give authority to FG for state resource control, I'm so certain that the constitution in plain terms tells the FG that powers not delegated to them is left to states, therefore, if that's a law that FG or legislature made, it needs to be challenged.

I do agree with you, most of our governors do not have the yearning spirit to improve development. For how long are we to dwell in past glory? To be honest, some governors have no idea nor blueprint to create positive impact on an economy. It begs me to wonder, why do these guys have experts advisory? Like seriously, if you don't develop, and create a system to generate revenue, how do you intend to lure companies and investors to your state? It's high time they begin thinking outside the box, because, with the current events brewing around, although I strong believe in Unity, but the Unity called Nigeria is at the brink of collapse.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by ak47mann(m): 2:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
^^^
corruption and lack of implementation is killing Nigeria,and federal gov don't want state government to control their own resources cos is the way some cabals in our politics and judicially system made sure it stays that way.

Both military and civilians past and present.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Ournaija: 3:33pm On Dec 16, 2011
I doubt if this is good news. Natural resources are like curse on this nation. Watch out, soon the super rich will hijack everything and re-allocate to themselves.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Abagworo(m): 3:37pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sincerely, I have never seen things from the point of view of a lot of Nigerians. I seem to believe in one Nigeria and we should all do same for our good. The resources belong to the Nigerian State but is fortunately found in your home town. While you may have higher stake, it still belongs to Nigeria period. I'm happy that Imo continues to lead in the education sector and our State is very decent and is experiencing rapid development.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by debosky(m): 4:01pm On Dec 16, 2011
It is this type of empty statements that get my goat - what does it mean for Imo to be a 'gas hub'?

Its reserves (if true) amount to less than 10% of Nigeria's estimated 160 TCF of reserves - why not focus on the SIMPLE things like building a power plant to utilise the local gas reserves?

Why must politicians always 'play to the gallery' by making big statements that we all know will never come to pass?

As for those talking about Imo State signing agreements with the NGC - y'all have gotten things very wrong - all rights to natural resources belong to the people and this right is exercised by the Federal Government, not state governments.

No one cares about yet another expo - get down to work and produce something tangible on the ground that people can point to.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by peleson: 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2011
Constitution should be reviewed and PIB enshrined into it,
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:06pm On Dec 16, 2011
Abagworo:

Sincerely, I have never seen things from the point of view of a lot of Nigerians. I seem to believe in one Nigeria and we should all do same for our good. The resources belong to the Nigerian State but is fortunately found in your home town. While you may have higher stake, it still belongs to Nigeria period.  I'm happy that Imo continues to lead in the education sector and our State is very decent and is experiencing rapid development.

^^^Sure, kinda like the oil found in Oloibiri and Ogoniland belongs to Nigeria.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Diligence: 4:13pm On Dec 16, 2011
Imagine Biafra - 50 years after!
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by aljharem3: 4:16pm On Dec 16, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

I am sorry PROUD-IGBO but this is the sort of comment that makes me want to wipe for Nigeria.

Imagine of all the Oil companies only employ SS people what happens to the rest of the country ?

You are here talking of employment of Imo youth as if their are no Lagos youths, Balysea youth etc roaming the streets

We need to think critical here. Is the so called gas reserve only meant for Imo or Nigeria ?

Lets be less selfish and think as a collective group. thanks
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by aljharem3: 4:16pm On Dec 16, 2011
Diligence:

Imagine Biafra - 50 years after!

Yeah, such is life
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by Yeske2(m): 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sick and tired hearing this over and over again, why can't tte government utilize this gas for something useful or are they trying to tell us they discovered the gas yesterday. Stop all the we have this and we have that and get working abeg.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by sheyguy: 5:54pm On Dec 16, 2011
alj_harem:

I am sorry PROUD-IGBO but this is the sort of comment that makes me want to wipe for Nigeria.

Imagine of all the Oil companies only employ SS people what happens to the rest of the country ?

You are here talking of employment of Imo youth as if their are no Lagos youths, Balysea youth etc roaming the streets

We need to think critical here. Is the so called gas reserve only meant for Imo or Nigeria ?

some pple must av forgotten how yorubas, igbos and old bendellites flooded Jos 4 jobs during the hay days of tin mining. Now they are already thinking of themselves alone.

I bet they dont know what 'scf' means in that article.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by samyng(m): 6:05pm On Dec 16, 2011
[size=13pt]wow Nice one IMO[/size]
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by 9jaIhail(m): 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2011
alj_harem:

@alj_harem

WILL YOU STOP CAUSING TRIBAL BASHING ON NAIRALAND.YOUR ABOVE COMMENT MEANT FOR NOTHING BUT TO CAUSE TRIBAL FIGHT BETWEEN OTHER TRIBES AND IGBO'S, YOU NICELY EXCLUDED YOUR OWN REGION SO THAT IT WILL SEEMS YOU ARE FIGHTING FOR THE SS AND WEST. MAN I WILL ADVICE YOU TO STOP YOUR HYPOCRITES ACT.WELL YOU CAN ONLY FOOL YOUR MATES NOT ME,CHANGE OR YOU GET LOST
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by manny4life(m): 7:06pm On Dec 16, 2011
sheyguy:

some pple must av forgotten how yorubas, igbos and old bendellites flooded Jos 4 jobs during the hay days of tin mining. Now they are already thinking of themselves alone.

Ok sir, tell us what SCF stand for other than "Standard Cubic Feet". Also, please tell us what do they not mean when they talked about SCF, I mean what's your point to that regard? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by sheyguy: 7:12pm On Dec 16, 2011
^
u must av googled that one up. . .lol
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by manny4life(m): 7:27pm On Dec 16, 2011
sheyguy:

^
u must av googled that one up. . .lol

Anything wrong with that? LLS grin grin grin  Ain't no shame in my game, I'm not the one claiming to know what and what NOT the article meant. Oh, btw, not everyone uses Google, any person conversant with conversion system in measurement knows the basic, Cu= Cubic, Ft/f(abv)= Feet, M= Meters, KG= kilograms, L=Liters, Gal = Gallons, MI = Miles, oz = ounce, lb = pounds, yd = yard, in = inch etc and the list goes on and on and on. Not everyone is actually slow, metric conversion are taught at the middle school, ain't no way you can miss it in high school let alone college, now considering the fact it's a U.S. system, so go figure on that one. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:31pm On Dec 16, 2011
sheyguy:

^^^For avoidance of doubt, i'm not saying others are not welcome to Imo State to seek for jobs if the Gas Industry is established as a profitable enterprise. I'd like nothing better than opening up the South East to the rest of the country and the wider world (then you'd see the hospitality of Ndigbo), but what i don't want is a situation where the resources in Igboland are exploited (as with Ogoniland and Oloibiri) with the attendant pollution that's been seen thus far in areas where the multinational oil companies are presently operating. Another thing i'm hoping we avoid is a situation where majority of the profits (as with the oil industry again) are creamed off by some greedy faceless Cartel or Cabal while the poor people on whos land the gas is exploited are left with near fuc*k-all.

You reminisce about the good old days of tin mining in Jos smiley. Would that happen to be by any chance the days when revenue was shared 50/50 between the Regions and the Centre? When there was more transparency in operations at all levels, and everyone got and was happy with their due. If you were to offer me that deal today, i'd grab it so fast your arm would come off shocked.
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by realchange: 8:04pm On Dec 16, 2011
Abagworo:

Sincerely, I have never seen things from the point of view of a lot of Nigerians. I seem to believe in one Nigeria and we should all do same for our good. The resources belong to the Nigerian State but is fortunately found in your home town. While you may have higher stake, it still belongs to Nigeria period. I'm happy that Imo continues to lead in the education sector and our State is very decent and is experiencing rapid development.

yes! it belongs to all nigerians!  smiley
allocate N10 billion to imo state and N20 billion to kano state that won't suffer any landslides and air and water pollution
as at today, the north that has zero oil and gas gets about 3 times what the SE gets! and they still kill us in the north on top of that! we are very happy
Re: Imo Has Over 7.8 Trillion Scf Gas Reserves by love4ual: 9:04pm On Dec 16, 2011
diligence, i agree with you, there is only one african country that would have been europe, and that is biafra, but unfortunately that can not happen,

the igbo's can only commit themselves to God aT THE MOMENT AND PREPARE FOR THE COMING OF CHRIST, i strongly beleive that the igbos are the only christians in nigeria, i also believe that the have a lot in common with the jews

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enugu Government To Restore State's Masterplan / No ₦6 Billion Judgment Against Dakuku Peterside — Legal Team / In Less than 6 months Rochas looks better than Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.