Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,590 members, 7,770,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:34 AM

Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 (14051 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Manchester City: 37% (30 votes)
Arsenal: 46% (37 votes)
Draw: 16% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Manchester United Vs Blackburn (2 - 3) On Saturday 31st December 2011 / Tottenham Hotspur Vs Chelsea (1 - 1) On Thursday 22nd December 2011 / El Clasico - Real Madrid Vs Barcelona (1 - 3) On Saturday 10th December 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by mukina2: 1:02am On Dec 16, 2011
What a difference a few weeks can make. The protracted transfer of Samir Nasri to Eastlands appeared a killer blow for an Arsenal side who had lost their captain to Barcelona, their best young talent to injury and - after the Carling Cup defeat to Birmingham at the end of February - their ability to win games on a regular basis.

However, confidence lost has slowly been regained, the almighty lows of Old Trafford and Ewood Park seemingly banished from the psyche as the arduous climb back to the top four continues. They now sit fifth after winning seven of their last eight league matches, and having qualified for the knockout rounds of the Champions League as group winners.

Manchester City, meanwhile, remain top of the table, but that may not be the case by the time they kick-off against the Gunners. Their first defeat of the season that arrived at Chelsea on Monday has cut back their advantage and, coming so soon after the Champions League exit, there is no mistaking the fact that their mettle is facing a serious test."Monday has made us feel more hungry," captain Vincent Kompany said this week. "We want Sunday to come as quickly as possible and to play football again. That is the kind of team we are. Arsenal are a great team, but we can beat great teams. On Sunday, we are looking to do what they have done. They have picked themselves up after a difficult month. The way they have done that is absolutely incredible."

They should at least avoid the additional complication of a defensive crisis. Gael Clichy will not face his former club after his dismissal at Stamford Bridge and Aleksandar Kolarov is absent through injury, but the expected recovery of Micah Richards will enable Roberto Mancini to field an established back-four.

Arsenal's own back four is likely to be made up of four centre-backs, as it was at Everton, and - though Thomas Vermaelen has shown himself to be comfortable at left back - it will only make life more difficult against a side boasting the most prolific attack in the country. Even so, Wojciech Szczesny remains confident. "It is probably the toughest game of the season but people were saying that last year and we won 3-0," he told Arsenal Player. "We hope to repeat the performance and hopefully the result as well."

Manchester City player to watch: Yaya Toure. The Ivory Coast international was far from his inspirational best in the defeat at Chelsea and, after his ill-disciplined prods at Juan Mata went unpunished, is fortunate to be available for this game. Even so, he remains one of the first names on Roberto Mancini's teamsheet for any game of significance and his importance to the club was highlighted this week by the fact his departure to the African Nations Cup next month has been delayed. A former Arsenal trialist, his powerful attacking forays could cause serious problems for the Gunners.

Arsenal player to watch: Alex Song. Like Yaya Toure, Song's billing as a defensive midfielder is starting to pale in respect of the regularity of his attacking contributions. His assist for Robin van Persie in the Champions League game at home to Borussia Dortmund was stunningly conjured from nothing, and Arsene Wenger was quick to ensure Song received due credit for his part in the Dutchman's glorious winner against Everton. Questions remain over his ability to maintain positional discipline, but these forward forays have undoubtedly reaped benefits.

Key Battle: Vincent Kompany v Robin van Persie. Against Everton as so often this season, Van Persie made the difference for Arsenal. He will be looking to add to his superb tally of 18 goals in the last 16 away games in the league, and City will be reliant on their captain to marshal his threat.

Trivia: Joe Mercer, the last manager to take the league title to Manchester City in 1968, was one of Arsenal's greatest captains after joining the club in 1946.

Stats: There were three red cards shown in the two Premier League meetings between the sides last season.

Match
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by mukina2: 1:06am On Dec 16, 2011
Yaya i do loff you,Please do not try none of that kungfu stuff like you did against cheksli  angry cool

how i wish clichy was not suspended  angry geezzzzz.

Kompany your head like flavio own, try playing rough and get sent off.

The Arsenal!!! The Arsenal!!  cool lets go!
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by chelseabmw(m): 3:20am On Dec 16, 2011
A win for arsenal will do
A Score draw is okay
I just want mancity to fail tongue
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by KenJADE(m): 7:56am On Dec 16, 2011
Man City, abeg gun dem down. D spirit with which u brought down Man U, let it come and do so to Arsenal. And Mancini shud neva try changing Silva again.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by utelee: 8:41am On Dec 16, 2011
go gunners go all d way! mancity will stumble 4 sure.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by HighChief4(m): 11:27am On Dec 16, 2011
I want the two teams to draw(if possible the 2 should loose grin), but if anybody should win then let it be arsenal. Its promising to be a blockbuster!!!
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 16, 2011
Mukina. I simply love whoever has that name
mukina2:

Yaya i do loff you,Please do not try none of that kungfu stuff like you did against cheksli  angry cool

Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Funkymallam(m): 11:47am On Dec 16, 2011
Arsenal will lose grin cheesy grin
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 16, 2011
Ok, i want draw, mukina2, hope this is ok?
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by EmmaSun1(m): 11:56am On Dec 16, 2011
We don't need to drag about this. Manchester City against Barca Fiders, It will be more painful compare to Man. city Vs Man. United.
Please Man. City is gonna show Arsenal seniority
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Bawss1(m): 12:09pm On Dec 16, 2011
Anything that wants to happen should happen. Arsenal had better not loose their next match with Aston Villa if they are serious about rejoining the title race.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by slap1(m): 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2011
mukina2:

Oh yes! We are going! 3 points to the Gunners!
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by McAdem: 3:53pm On Dec 16, 2011
the match will be-ABC
A----ARSENAL

B----BEATS

C----CITY[/b]
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by kelvinnn(m): 6:12pm On Dec 16, 2011
I see city winning cos they lost their last match, but I would like to see arsenal carrying the day.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Okaakoko(m): 6:22pm On Dec 16, 2011
City wins
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by dipo1: 7:53pm On Dec 16, 2011
Emma Sun:

We don't need to drag about this. Manchester City against Barca Fiders, It will be more painful compare to Man. city Vs Man. United.
Please Man. City is gonna show Arsenal seniority

Do you know what 'seniority' means? I don't think you do
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by KayDee4: 11:31pm On Dec 16, 2011
Funkymallam:

Arsenal will lose grin cheesy grin

Na wah o, people like to beef arsenal for no just reason.

KenJADE:

Man City, abeg gun dem down. D spirit with which u brought down Man U, let it come and do so to Arsenal. And Mancini shud neva try changing Silva again.

Who do you represent ? Manure, Chelshit, or 'Totoham' ?, then u shld be on arsenal's side, but you sound like an Enyimba  grin or a Bolton fan.

mukina2:

Yaya i do loff you,Please do not try none of that kungfu stuff like you did against cheksli  angry  cool

Try that with any of my plasticine boys and I go slap am from TV.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Limaoscar: 1:44am On Dec 17, 2011
Arsenal are forever a dissapointment at times like this especially in December the boys just switch-off with their "Akara" Heads in Vacation mood.

If they manage a draw of any kind that will be a huge Christmas gift to their fans.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by KenJADE(m): 9:44am On Dec 17, 2011
Kay-Dee:

Na wah o, people like to beef arsenal for no just reason.

Who do you represent ? Manure, Chelshit, or 'Totoham' ?, then u shld be on arsenal's side, but you sound like an Enyimba grin or a Bolton fan.

Try that with any of my plasticine boys and I go slap am from TV.

I represent an Italian side called REDS AND BLACKS
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by slap1(m): 10:29am On Dec 17, 2011
We will show City that you can buy world class players, but you simply can't buy C L A S S!
GUNNERZ FOR LIFE!

Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by nikejoy: 10:54am On Dec 17, 2011
if man city wld loose and arsenal wld win,let wait and see.nt d matter of wat has happend bt d glory of god.To city, Beware of VP cos he's ready to castrate u.Up Gunners
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by fred2265: 11:33am On Dec 17, 2011
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Ganiyyah(f): 11:51am On Dec 17, 2011
I like Assnil fans, dem mouth pass dem players talent-especialy in cases like these.
Una go hear am!
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by INAHJOSEP(m): 12:40pm On Dec 17, 2011
@mma sun
Wats ur point??, Trying 2 compare man city wit Barca? Guy wake up cos man shitty doesn't worth an inch!!!!
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by sshalom(m): 2:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
This will be a great test for Arsenal. If the midfield keep up the fast pace of passes critical to Arsenal's game plan, City would crumble!
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by xterra2(m): 3:43pm On Dec 17, 2011
Man city would surely beat arsenal
Lets wait and see
Man city is too strong for arsenal
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Dt03(m): 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2011
3 points to Gunners.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 17, 2011
Please! any links for this match? Will definately appreciate this.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by dabrake(m): 12:08am On Dec 18, 2011
Man.city, we no get oil moni 2 squander anyhow. Na only amazing football we get. 2moro, we go gun una infront of una smelling fans live @ the etihad stadium
INAH JOSEP:

@mma sun
Wats your point??, Trying 2 compare man city wit Barca? Guy wake up cos man shitty doesn't worth an inch!!!!
d day city go play barça, if puyol no score hattrick, make i vomit sh!!t. Valdes sef go score freekick
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by passionate88: 1:58pm On Dec 18, 2011
Limaoscar:

Arsenal are forever a dissapointment at times like this especially in December the boys just switch-off with their "Akara" Heads in Vacation mood.

If they manage a draw of any kind that will be a huge Christmas gift to their fans.

Was it not in December that Arsenal defeated chelsea last year?, were they a disgrace?.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by azeeza(f): 2:04pm On Dec 18, 2011
update your status as (Up Arsenal) and get #1500 recharge card, No time

Our victory is certain.
Re: Manchester City Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On Sunday 18th December 2011 by jimctu: 2:05pm On Dec 18, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs West Bromwich Albion (2 - 0) On 7th November 2015 / Steaua Bucharest Vs Chelsea - UCL (0 - 4) On 1st October 2013 / Champions League: Inter Vs Barcelona [3 - 1] On Tue 20th April

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.